Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Wooden Drivers Anyone?

PlaidJacket

As I'm sure many of you have discussed with your buddies at one time or another... (especially you older guys like me). When was the last time you played a round with a wood driver? Me and some of my buds have said one that day we're getting them out along with our old blades and go play. We never do. I think the last time I actually used a wood driver was when I bought my first metal driver. It was either a TaylorMade or a Callaway. When was that? In the 80's or early 90's?

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Mid to late 80's. Couldn't tell you what the brand was but they were my Grandfather's clubs.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I took up golf about when Callaway introduced the first Big Bertha.  I don't own any wooden clubs; never hit one.  Don't think I'll try either.

My wife still has her circa 1970 PowerBilt persimmon woods and blades.  She was playing those when I met her on the course in 2002.  My buddies and I called her Bam Bam.  A couple of years ago she pulled out the driver and hit just to see if she could; side-by-side with her Taylormade RBZ Stage 2.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

As I mentioned in a different thread, I still have my father's clubs- Wilson Dyna-Powered blades from the 1960's, and some woods from the mid 1970's - I learned on my father's hand-me-downs...  I have not pulled them out in a LONG time, but now that you mention it, it sounds like a good thing to do some time in the spring - just take the old clubs for a spin round the course and see what happens... the driver head is about the size of a larger hybrid today, and the blades, well ouch!!!

I think the "sweet spot" is about the size of a dime... will be interesting to see how difficult and different they feel.

That said, I still hit the Wilson Sandy Andy - sand wedge - same timeframe- same set.  The Grooves are all but gone, but still works like a champ getting out of bunkers or short chips over hazards....

sandy andy.jpg

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

I'm actually afraid that if I were to go hit a ball my wood might crack or something.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Mid 90's for me.  I still played a persimmon 3 & 5 wood during high school golf.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Mid to late 90's I was out west and played with my uncle's Fuzzy Zoeller PowerBilt set, including persimmon woods. He's 6'7" so they were too long for me and he had oversize grips. I hit the 3w very well, all things considered.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Occasionally I will- and sometimes my Lady will join me- play "old school club day" where I play my Dad's old(er) persimmon woods and forged blades. I think the last time was a year and a half ago. I really enjoy the feel and challenge, and frankly seem to play better- though still not particularly well.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

I made the switch through the mid to late 80's into the early 90's.

I kept vascilating going back and forth. My wooden drivers at that time were one which a pro had made for me - Very shallow face, I could bomb it but not forgiveness and my Ping Eye 2. My metal driver was a second generation Taylor Made 9.5.

The real star for me then was my Taylor made tour spoon. I could hit that thing on a rope and at that time was long enough that I could afford to give up some distance.

My first metal driver that I actually liked was the 907D. That remains my second favorite driver of all time behind my Tommy Armour Persimmon.

The last wooden club that I bagged was my Eye 2 five wood. It was stolen along with the rest of my clubs in 2005. I also lost my first ever fitted driver in that incident. Everything that I got as a replacement was fitted. My fitter and I differed over what type of irons to get. I wanted Cobras, he wanted me in some sort of Titleist Players iron. I got the cobras. :)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Around 1977 when I played my first round of golf in high school, I think was the only time I ever used a wood driver.  After that round I didn't play again until about 1986 when I got hooked on it and bought a set with a metal driver and fairway woods.  They were the old Spalding Executive XE's. The irons in the set were like the original hybrid irons of the day. 

XE 1.jpg

:cobra-small: Max Superlite 9.5* Driver   :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 10.5* Driver    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 16* 3 Wood    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 19* 5 Wood

:taylormade-small: Mid Rescue - 2, 3, 4, & 5 Hybrids     :taylormade-small: M2 - 6 Hybrid

:cleveland-small: 588 Altitude 7-PW    :cleveland-small: Tour Action 588 52* Gap wedge   :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 58* San wedge

:cleveland-small: Frontline Elvado Single Bend 33" putter (testing)                   

:MLA: Target Adixion 33" putter

:titelist-small:  Velocity Golf Balls

As I'm sure many of you have discussed with your buddies at one time or another... (especially you older guys like me). When was the last time you played a round with a wood driver? Me and some of my buds have said one that day we're getting them out along with our old blades and go play. We never do. I think the last time I actually used a wood driver was when I bought my first metal driver. It was either a TaylorMade or a Callaway. When was that? In the 80's or early 90's?

Plaid when I first started I used a Lady Velvet 5 wood as a driver I got from my grandfather that belonged to my great grandfather. Actually a pretty nice club, still got it in a corner of the house and have fun taking it out on occasion when I need to get back to basics.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Hit one weekly on the range. Makes the new equipment seem downright easy to hit

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

A rage I go to occasionally has a line up of persimmon woods for anyone to Use, no one steals them.

I love the feel they have and how easy it is to shape a ball flight. Once you get used to the weight you can really get after the ball.

Have yet to put one in play on course in 15 years.

Last one I played was sold by Golfworks and I paired it with a BiMatrix shaft. It was a solid driver that I could really control, kinda like playing a modern 3 wood. Played it for a solid year before I cracked it open on the range.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Haven't hit a persimmon driver since the late 80s or early 90s.  It would be fun to take a set of blades 80s blades I have in the basement with some vintage woods but never get around to it.  

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

Archived