TESTERS WANTED! ×

Best Blades Out Right Now?!

Broby

Like a few others habe said, my game isn't cut out for blades. But to play along.

Id throw these three in a hat, blindly pick one and be a happy man.

718 MB

MP 18

FG Tour 100

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Depending on the Cobra 2018 “MB” release, I think I finally narrowed it down. The APEX MB's were the most consistent and longest for me somehow. Never thought I'd like Callaway but those things are about as classy as you can get, zero offset... so unless cobra does something spectacular I'm jumping on the Train.

Depending on the Cobra 2018 “MB” release, I think I finally narrowed it down. The APEX MB's were the most consistent and longest for me somehow. Never thought I'd like Callaway but those things are about as classy as you can get, zero offset... so unless cobra does something spectacular I'm jumping on the Train.

That's a scary proposition. I've never agreed with Callaway clubs due to their typical offset.

Did you get to experiment with shafts too?

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Why are you interested in a blade styled iron? Is your interest ego driven or data driven? If you’ve never lived day to day with a bladed styled iron I recommend you demo some for an extended period of time before jumping in. Consider this.......many of the greatest players in the world use muscle back and cavity back irons. From the PGA tour to the Senior PGA tour more and more players are utilizing the evolution of technology over traditionally engineered blade irons.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

I agree some SG. But that’s like asking someone why they are interest in classic cars, boats, classical music, fine art, etc.

Not for everyone sure, sometimes you just want a chunk of American muscle or Japanese. I mean a 34° club is a 34° club right?

Not saying you are but when people are interested in these types of clubs people try to immediately talk them out of them into something else. Won’t ever hear anyone say don’t buy those SGI irons.

Since 2011, the correct answer has been Adams Idea MB2

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

4 hours ago, Shankster said:

I agree some SG. But that’s like asking someone why they are interest in classic cars, boats, classical music, fine art, etc.

Not for everyone sure, sometimes you just want a chunk of American muscle or Japanese. I mean a 34° club is a 34° club right?

Not saying you are but when people are interested in these types of clubs people try to immediately talk them out of them into something else. Won’t ever hear anyone say don’t buy those SGI irons.

... When it comes to performance I am on record saying everyone should play the most forgiving iron they can effectively play. I just saw Tiger hit a 50 yd fade out of a bunker with a tree completely blocking his approach to a right pin and the ball had so much curve it moved left to right and then the spin pulled it further right. A fantastic shot only a small percentage of players in the world could pull off.  So for Tiger, MB's are the most forgiving iron he can effectively play. Less than 1% of OEM sales are for MB's and there are certainly golfers that play their best golf with MB's but they are in a very small fraternity. There are Players Irons with shallow to deep cavities that can do most of what MB's can do but are more forgiving of slight mishits and much more forgiving of the occasionally egregious mishit. 

... A pet peeve of mine is some of those that play MB's recommend them to others because they "help you focus better" or "do not mask your miss and you will become a better ball striker" among other excuses that may or may not be true for that individual but certainly do not apply to others. 

... Of course there are many reasons to play this awesome game other than shooting your lowest score. I had students that insisted on playing MB's because they loved the look, the feel and the idea of playing the game at it's purest and relished the challenge of playing MB's, but understanding their scores would be lower with a full CB set or at least a combo set of MB short irons and CB mid/long irons. I would never try and talk anyone out of playing an iron that brings them the most joy and satisfaction unless they came to me for lessons and wanted to lower their scores. I have not played MB's in years and have no desire to play them now but have to admit looking at the new Z Forged MB's from Srixon, I had pangs of wanting to play a round with them. So I understand the allure of MB's, just make sure you know why you are playing them without any self delusion.  

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

27 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I hear you Chisag. I’m not saying blades or MB’s or even a CB is the best fit for my game. But I can’t stand thick toplines, or a ton of offset. Not many irons that check that box outside of those irons.

... Right there with you! If the iron doesn't look like you can hit it well, you won't. As the saying goes, golf is at least 50% mental and the other 50% is mental. Confidence in your equipment is absolutely essential. I taught players that were confident in anything you put in front of them and others that simply couldn't hit a club successfully that didn't fit their eye. I had one student that was a perfect candidate for GI if not SGI irons but had convinced himself he could only play MB's. After a few months of trying different irons it was clear he changed his swing when hitting anything but MB's. Not intentionally, he just had a mental block. So even though he continued to hit the ball on the toe and low on the face more often than not, he worked really hard during lessons and always hit his MB's better. Not well mind you, but better than more forgiving irons. So feeling like I had given Dave every opportunity to take advantage of more forgiving irons I gave up and moved on to improving his swing with his MB's. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

59 minutes ago, chisag said:

I just saw Tiger hit a 50 yd fade out of a bunker with a tree completely blocking his approach to a right pin and the ball had so much curve it moved left to right and then the spin pulled it further right.

And with a Wedge or perhaps it was a 9i!!! Go try that guys. LOL

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

And with a Wedge or perhaps it was a 9i!!! Go try that guys. LOL
Tiger said 9i in post-round interview. Was debating on 8i or 9i. Went with the 9i.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

Archived