TESTERS WANTED! ×

4 iron replacement - Thoughts?

JTexGolfer

I currently carry a 3 hybrid, and have toyed with the idea of a utility iron in place of my standard 4 iron. Thinking along the lines of standard 5 iron, iron like 4 hybrid/utility, standard 3 hybrid.

What have you guys that replaced your 4 iron replaced it with? Hybrid or Utility iron, and what did you use? Like or dislike? I am thinking about either a Srixon ZU65, Ping Crossover, or Cobra Utility iron, all would be graphite shaft.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

Personally I rope hook my hybrid more than I'd like to admit, so I got the Cobra Utility iron near the end of the season.

Only got 27 holes in with it, but man was it straight. Don't think I'll be going back to hybrids after hitting this. Have it set half a degree stronger than the hybrid, but both go about the same.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

I prefer irons over hybrids because I just could never get them to work well enough. I use a more forgiving model for my long iron. I plan to get driving irons next season

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I did the 4i replace a few years back and went with a 22 degree hybrid.  It's been a great switch for me overall, ball flight is high and lands soft.  No issues trying to hold a green and it's much more consistent distance wise than my 4i was.  My big miss with the hybrid vs the 4i is they hook though.  Every once in a while it'll get a little snappy.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I replaced my 4 iron with a 22 hybrid years ago. It took me a while to get used to it, but it's been a very worthwhile change. If you hit your 3 hybrid well its probably a no brainer.

I've tried to find a hybrid to replace my 5 iron, unsuccessfully to this point. For me, finding a shaft that works has been a problem.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

I picked up a 816 H1 in 23 degrees two seasons ago. It is by far the easiest hybrid I have ever hit.

I know that may be closer to a 5 iron loft. But it can be adjusted down.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I've had hybrids and irons in play over the last few years. Lately I've moved back to my irons as the hybrids have been a little hit or miss. Hoping to pick up a utility Iron this year for the 3H/3I spot and maybe swap out my 4I shaft to graphite for a bit more height(potentially). I think it all comes down to what you want out of that club. And then testing to see what works.

I did the 4i replace a few years back and went with a 22 degree hybrid.  It's been a great switch for me overall, ball flight is high and lands soft.  No issues trying to hold a green and it's much more consistent distance wise than my 4i was.  My big miss with the hybrid vs the 4i is they hook though.  Every once in a while it'll get a little snappy.

I've been experimenting with some lead tape on my G30 hybrid for that very reason. Its one of the main reasons that I am thinking about utility irons for a 4 iron replacement.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

I picked up a 816 H1 in 23 degrees two seasons ago. It is by far the easiest hybrid I have ever hit.

I know that may be closer to a 5 iron loft. But it can be adjusted down.

That's one of the complications that I need to address beacuse my 5 iron and 4 iron are both about a club strong right now, but it makes the gapping work out right at the moment. I want to get on Trackman with the full bag and get all of my carry numbers to see if I have my gapping right.

The ZU65 "4 iron" is the same loft as my 565 5 iron, but not sure how much difference the longer and lighter graphite shaft would make on distance, and I feel like the 20 degree would be a right around the exact distance as my 19 degree 3 hybrid.

I've had hybrids and irons in play over the last few years. Lately I've moved back to my irons as the hybrids have been a little hit or miss. Hoping to pick up a utility Iron this year for the 3H/3I spot and maybe swap out my 4I shaft to graphite for a bit more height(potentially). I think it all comes down to what you want out of that club. And then testing to see what works.

When I am having a good day with a hybrid its a life saver, but man I can hit some ugly shots with them sometimes.

Took me a while to find a hybrid that I didn't hook like crazy,  but once I found one I replaced my 3i and 4i.   I went with the Titleist 915h1 and and 816h1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I just added the MP-18 driving iron to the bag to see about switching it for my 3 iron and, so far, I really like it. I only use my long irons/hybrids off the tee, or on a long par 5, and my current X2 Hot Pro hybrid is one of my most consistent clubs, although it's LONG. The MP-18 is showing carry of 10 yards more than my current set 3 iron, and I really like the look of a driving iron over a hybrid. As someone mentioned above, the right shaft is crucial! One just can't buy a hybrid off the rack...

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I just added the MP-18 driving iron to the bag to see about switching it for my 3 iron and, so far, I really like it. I only use my long irons/hybrids off the tee, or on a long par 5, and my current X2 Hot Pro hybrid is one of my most consistent clubs, although it's LONG. The MP-18 is showing carry of 10 yards more than my current set 3 iron, and I really like the look of a driving iron over a hybrid. As someone mentioned above, the right shaft is crucial! One just can't buy a hybrid off the rack...

Interesting! What shaft do you have in your MP-18 versus your iron set? Loft and length difference in the two clubs?

Interesting! What shaft do you have in your MP-18 versus your iron set? Loft and length difference in the two clubs?

Honestly, I'm not sure of the loft difference... My 3 iron is 20*... I have C-Taper Lite Stiff in the MP-18, and KBS Tour V Stiff, hard stepped, in my gamers. Not sure of length either...

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I replaced my 4iron with a 22 degree hybrid. I haven't looked back! The thing was before I went hybrids, I never had a problem with my 4. About 5 years ago I tried hybrids for the first time. I went back to 4I late in 16, and struggled mightily.

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

I replaced mine with a Matby an HDI iron. Unfortunately they are being discontinued as they were not a big seller which is a true shame. It's a hybrid for guys who hate hybrids. So easy to hit, forgiving while maintaining a solid amount of precision.

I personally hook hybrids like it's my job but this more iron style plays straight as could be. Ping makes something similar. ma0238.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I play an old 712u in 20* and then the rest of my set is Titleist TMBs. I will say the TMB long irons are really easy to elevate and surprisingly forgiving.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

I replaced mine with a Matby an HDI iron. Unfortunately they are being discontinued as they were not a big seller which is a true shame. It's a hybrid for guys who hate hybrids. So easy to hit, forgiving while maintaining a solid amount of precision.

I personally hook hybrids like it's my job but this more iron style plays straight as could be. Ping makes something similar. attachicon.gifma0238.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I've got the same 3, 4 and 5 in my bag. It is a shame they're being discontinued because I really like mine.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Yeah I looked at the website and they only have the 5 iron of these left.

Not a 4i, but I replaced the 3i in my bag with an MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi as a recommendation from my fitter. I tried hybrids, but I haven't found one that I can keep from going left. @jlukes reached out to Mizuno on Twitter and they recommended the same shaft he games in his irons, and my fitter did as well. Waiting for the Fli-Hi to arrive, but the demo I hit in the stock c-taper was much more consistent than my 900 Tour 3i. Doesn't really go "hi" but the distance is where I need it.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

where did you get fitted ?  AGC ?

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

where did you get fitted ?  AGC ?

yup. my coworker knows TJ and introduced me like 6 months ago

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

There is something to be said about a driving iron.  I currently carry the 4i from my AP2 set- but only pull it out about once a round- I think I could use a driving iron (based on distances) but am waiting on feedback from my Shotscope performance dashboard before I invest in anything.  I need to have at least 10 rounds in the system before I think the information is of true value.  Anything before that is really valid statistically.

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

yup. my coworker knows TJ and introduced me like 6 months ago

Good People, Joey is a good friend of mine.  Just ordered a Basilues Fiamma 2 from them before the Holidays.. 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Not a 4i, but I replaced the 3i in my bag with an MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi as a recommendation from my fitter. I tried hybrids, but I haven't found one that I can keep from going left. @jlukes reached out to Mizuno on Twitter and they recommended the same shaft he games in his irons, and my fitter did as well. Waiting for the Fli-Hi to arrive, but the demo I hit in the stock c-taper was much more consistent than my 900 Tour 3i. Doesn't really go "hi" but the distance is where I need it.

Going to have to take a look at these.

There is something to be said about a driving iron.  I currently carry the 4i from my AP2 set- but only pull it out about once a round- I think I could use a driving iron (based on distances) but am waiting on feedback from my Shotscope performance dashboard before I invest in anything.  I need to have at least 10 rounds in the system before I think the information is of true value.  Anything before that is really valid statistically.

I am waiting the same on my end to make my decision. Thinking about getting a lesson on Trackman to get my distances down and decide what I need loft gap wise

I'd take a look at the U65 from Srixon since you play Srixon irons.  I loved my Z-565 3 and 4 irons, one of the easiest long iron to hit IMHO.

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I have carried a Cobra Bio Cell 2-3 Hybrid for quite awhile. Actually, it is the only club that has stayed in my bag. I use it to go Low under trees and can get 185 yds out of it on a good day. The club adjusts from 16* to 19* so I use it like a 3 Iron.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

• 2 months later...

I currently carry a 3 hybrid, and have toyed with the idea of a utility iron in place of my standard 4 iron. Thinking along the lines of standard 5 iron, iron like 4 hybrid/utility, standard 3 hybrid.

What have you guys that replaced your 4 iron replaced it with? Hybrid or Utility iron, and what did you use? Like or dislike? I am thinking about either a Srixon ZU65, Ping Crossover, or Cobra Utility iron, all would be graphite shaft.

Resurrecting this one with an update. Have gotten a couple of days practice and play with my new Srixon U45 23* iron, and I absolutely LOVE it!

I picked up a new Steel shafted U45 for 85 bucks and put a $25 Aldila NVS Hybrid 85S shaft in it and get about 205 carry from the fairway. Nice high draws every time and it fits into the gap between my 5 iron and 3 hybrid perfectly. I am honestly toying with the idea of getting a 20* with the same shaft to see if it can bump the G30 3 hybrid I currently carry and to give me a longer option for off the tee. I have hit the G30 well from the fairway but struggled with it off the tee oddly enough.

If you are considering a utility iron make sure you give the Srixon's a try!

Archived