4 iron replacement - Thoughts?

Our Sponsors

I am about to replace my #3 hybrid with a #3 Tour Edge HL3 Ironwood. If that proves to be successful I may also get the #4.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen1 0811X 12° driver w/Project X Evenflow Blue 55g shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

:srixon-small: Z355 22° 7 wood w/Miyazaki Jinsoku shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 19° 3 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

:tour-edge: HL E521 25° 5 hybrid w/Fubuki HD55 shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg Sti2 6 iron w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 Tour+ irons 7-PW w/UST Competition Series graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge w/Rotex shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:cleveland-small:  Huntington Beach Soft Premier 10.5

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I replaced mine with a Matby an HDI iron. Unfortunately they are being discontinued as they were not a big seller which is a true shame. It's a hybrid for guys who hate hybrids. So easy to hit, forgiv

I've got the same 3, 4 and 5 in my bag. It is a shame they're being discontinued because I really like mine.

I currently carry a 3 hybrid, and have toyed with the idea of a utility iron in place of my standard 4 iron. Thinking along the lines of standard 5 iron, iron like 4 hybrid/utility, standard 3 hybrid.

Posted Images

Personally, I love my 4i - it's one of the most reliable clubs in my bag currently (along with 3 wood, gap wedge and putter).

My dad, on the other hand, was struggling to hit his long irons (3-5) for a while (he has a set of Adams CMBs). A year ago, he got my old Callaway X2 Hot 3 hybrid (I replaced it with an Apex hybrid, but went back to a 3 iron when I got the i200s) and he loved it so much that he bought an X2 Hot 4 hybrid (in a different shaft flex). Since then, the 2 hybrids have been his best friends out on the course, as he's able to hit the 3 hybrid almost as far as he hits 3 wood!

Therefore, replacing a long iron in your bag depends on what you think will be the best fit - be it a 4 iron, utility iron, hybrid or a fairway wood (a part of me still wants a 5 wood in the bag, but that's a story for later!).

• Like 1

Driver (main): Cobra F9 Speedback (9.0) with Fujikura Atmos 7X (Avalanche White) 

Driver (back-up): Titliest 915 D3 (9.5) with Fujikura Speeder Shaft 757 (Tour Stiff)

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero (15 degrees) in Rogue Max 75g stiff shaft

Hybrid: Callaway Apex 20 degree with Kurokage 80g Stiff Shaft

Irons: PING i200 4-PW in XP 95 shafts with S300 flex (+ 3 iron)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50

Callaway MD4 - 56 & 60 degrees

Putter: Taylormade TP Collection Soto

Golf Ball: Titliest Pro V1X, Srixon Z-Star ZV & Taylormade TP5X

I havent tried it yet but the cobra adjustable driving iron looks interesting since you can play with the loft to get the perfect gapping. It comes in black now too which looks pretty nice. 

... I have never hit better long irons than the P790's. My 4 iron is my go to iron, something I have never said about any others. I would be tempted to get the P790 3 iron but the King Utility is just so good there is no reason to change. Especially off the tee where I use it quite a bit but also reached two par 5's in two today with the Utility. One from the fairway and the other from a waste area. I rarely adjust the loft but in very windy conditions I have dialed it down from it's 18.5* normal setting. I have owned and played Wilson FG Tour Utility, Srixon U45, TM UDi, Exotics CB Pro, Mizuno Fli Hi and for me, the King Utility is the best of the bunch. 

• Like 1

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM Max ... Diamana Limited 55R
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Diamana Limited 65R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
                 SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33.5"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5

... I have never hit better long irons than the P790's. My 4 iron is my go to iron, something I have never said about any others. I would be tempted to get the P790 3 iron but the King Utility is just so good there is no reason to change. Especially off the tee where I use it quite a bit but also reached two par 5's in two today with the Utility. One from the fairway and the other from a waste area. I rarely adjust the loft but in very windy conditions I have dialed it down from it's 18.5* normal setting. I have owned and played Wilson FG Tour Utility, Srixon U45, TM UDi, Exotics CB Pro, Mizuno Fli Hi and for me, the King Utility is the best of the bunch.

How do you compare the feel of the Cobra Utility to the Srixon U45. I love the super smooth forged feel of the Srixon. Actually just picked up a 20* head as well to complement my 23*.

• Like 1

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

How do you compare the feel of the Cobra Utility to the Srixon U45. I love the super smooth forged feel of the Srixon. Actually just picked up a 20* head as well to complement my 23*.

... In my opinion they are the best feeling of all the DI's I have hit and played. Both are very similar with a hollow forged feel that is really pretty dense feeling and sounding for a thin face. The U45/65 is my second favorite DI.  

• Like 1

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM Max ... Diamana Limited 55R
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Diamana Limited 65R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
                 SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33.5"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5

I've put the g400 3 crossover in my bag to replace my hybrid recently. I'll tell you that for my swing it's much easier to hit and have more consistent strikes. I have a more aggressive angle of attack whereas I find hybrids are better for someone that can sweep the ball off of the ground... And that is not me.

Great feel and gets the ball up in the air easily. Does add a little spin, but that's fine by me. I just need it to fly the same distance every time and be in play.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

Just replaced My MP-18 SC 4-iron with an MMC Fli-Hi Utility 4 iron, much easier to hit......  Like the higher ball flight, go to club for narrow par-4's and punch shots....

• Like 1

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I vote for the new Rogue X 7 iron. Same loft, more forgiving head

• Like 1

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.