Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

2018 Fitness & Golfing Goals?

ole gray

Ok folks what are you aspirations for 2018? Maybe a few more pounds off the old body, a new golf swing, equipment or a particular personal goal you have in mind?

My goals are:

1. Eliminate most sugar products from my diet and drop 15 lbs.

2. Establish a simple (senior mode) golf swing and stick with it.

3. Four days per week gym work outs . I already do this however I'm recommitting for 2018.

4. Laugh more and not give unimportant things attention.

Come on and throw some goals down and let's get 2018 off to a positive year. Life is short and it's plenty tough, however if we work towards the good stuff it makes for better times.

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My main goal is get back down to 250 which is a 50 lbs drop. I want to lose some of my bulky strongman/powerlifter mass in my chest and shoulders. This mass won't allow me to get faster swing speeds because they take so much power to get moving.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My main goal is get back down to 250 which is a 50 lbs drop. I want to lose some of my bulky strongman/powerlifter mass in my chest and shoulders. This mass won't allow me to get faster swing speeds because they take so much power to get moving.

I was reading Harvey Penick's "Little Red Book" and he mentioned how hard it is for big burly guys to swing a golf club.  Big upper body muscles and a smooth flexible swing do not mesh. Maybe a younger man can swing with a "lifter's body" however us older guys don't have that flexibility. 

Cleveland

1. Cut the carbs down.... A lot

2. Be fit for a putter and work my butt off to get better with it

3. Be more committed to the gym

OG, you should also think about relearning your numbers

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

LOL!

Oh and # 5 would be focus better

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Cleveland

I was reading Harvey Penick's "Little Red Book" and he mentioned how hard it is for big burly guys to swing a golf club.  Big upper body muscles and a smooth flexible swing do not mesh. Maybe a younger man can swing with a "lifter's body" however us older guys don't have that flexibility. 

Yes, it is my intention to do fewer 12 ounce curls this coming year.  

Me too buddy. I've reached that plateau in life where slowing down on old habits is necessary. The old body can't take it

Cleveland

What?!? Ha ha ha me too!

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

1. Lose 50lbs. I went the opposite this past year and gained 10lbs, (writing this as I sit at a Chinese all you can eat sushi/Mongolian grill/Chinese buffet) :facepalming: lol..

2. Get fully fitted from putter to driver at a brand agnostic shop. As a lefty, it's hard to get PROPERLY fit even during demo days.

3. Buy said equipment that I will get fit for. Don't be lured by Shiney new blades company x put out.

4. Drop the HC between 10-12. Since I know I won't play too much more than last year, that means more quality golf and less wild rounds.

5. Make the proposed golfing outing in myrtle beach that Carolina Golfer 2 is putting together.

6. Get my swing working again. Too many inconsistencies this past year.

7. Get together with my long time golfing buds Wahoo and Carolina Golfer 2 for dinner outside of golf. We don't get together enough my friends...

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Early Happy New Year for starters. I've done very little fitness training in the past but I've changed that over the last few weeks. Off the top of my head a few goals are an extra 15 yards, eliminate slow starts to my rounds and not stress out over small stuff in the swing, I know the third one ain't a fitness goal but still.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I was reading Harvey Penick's "Little Red Book" and he mentioned how hard it is for big burly guys to swing a golf club. Big upper body muscles and a smooth flexible swing do not mesh. Maybe a younger man can swing with a "lifter's body" however us older guys don't have that flexibility.

That's how far my arm goes in a swing that's it. I need to actually go to yoga to see if that helps.20171227_133105.jpg20171227_133037.jpg

Thx, OG! .. for starting this thread and what I consider several of the more interesting ones on here.

For me going into '18...

#1. Fitness is going to come first as I re-condition and re-strengthen myself back into .. hopefully even better! .. shape after hip replacement surgery. Have started out slowly with basic PT and a few minutes of walking daily. Will ramp that up over time as I am able.

2. Take a few lessons early in the season.

3. Get back to working on loosening up the swing .. ie. eliminating tension (and a zillion extraneous swing thoughts) .. and moving the whole body better.

4. Work on timing, rhythm and tempo.

(Which are still vague fuzzy nebulous concepts to me.......)

5. Much more, and more regular, short game practice. It had gotten a little sporadic last season as I'd started to spend more time on the full swing - which helped - but the short game did relatively suffer a bit.

6. Learn to calmly accept the outcome of a golf shot, and also learn to "learn from" the ones that did not go quite as intended.

And...

7. Play .. and practice .. much more as I will no longer have a bad hip as a (lame ) excuse!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I quit 12 oz curls last year.  I'm up to pints... uh, I mean 16 oz curls.   ;)

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

After my foot surgery last month, I haven't been able to do much in the way of exercise; mostly upper body flexibility.  Can't do much on the floor, because "... and I can't get up!"

With no walking golf and a lot of sitting around, I gained 5 pounds.  That comes off before my trip to Palm Springs on Jan 20.  After the foot feels better my wife informed me that we are going to a yogurt class.  I don't know what the big deal is, I already know how to eat yogurt!!  

Yes, weight loss would make everyone happy, my doctor included.  I will be working on increasing swing speed; need those extra 15 yards!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Thx, OG! .. for starting this thread and what I consider several of the more interesting ones on here.

For me going into '18...

#1. Fitness is going to come first as I re-condition and re-strengthen myself back into .. hopefully even better! .. shape after hip replacement surgery. Have started out slowly with basic PT and a few minutes of walking daily. Will ramp that up over time as I am able.

2. Take a few lessons early in the season.

3. Get back to working on loosening up the swing .. ie. eliminating tension (and a zillion extraneous swing thoughts) .. and moving the whole body better.

4. Work on timing, rhythm and tempo.

(Which are still vague fuzzy nebulous concepts to me.......)

5. Much more, and more regular, short game practice. It had gotten a little sporadic last season as I'd started to spend more time on the full swing - which helped - but the short game did relatively suffer a bit.

6. Learn to calmly accept the outcome of a golf shot, and also learn to "learn from" the ones that did not go quite as intended.

And...

7. Play .. and practice .. much more as I will no longer have a bad hip as a (lame ) excuse!

Golf is a frigging game and we take it waaaaaay too serious.   I love this goal and once we learn how to except our skill level and play golf as a game we can enjoy it much more. 

Cleveland

My main golf goal is to listen to my surgeon and rehab at the pace he tells me too.  My understanding is that after back surgery it is a bad thing to push yourself past the limits the doctor sets.  I am an impatient type so that will be hard.  When he does finally allow me to return to golf I plan to schedule a series of lessons as my swing, like my back, has really deteriorated over these past 3+  years.  

I do plan to get back into shape and lose at least 25 lbs.  I plan to get together with my brother from another ole gray much more than I was able this year, I missed our fun rounds of "good shot".   I plan to move my game back closer to the 6 hdcp I used to be instead of the 14 I am now.  I plan to laugh and smile much more during rounds of golf and I plan to meet more "new" folks this coming year.  

Of course I am probably 5 to 8 months for this to even begin as I am having the back surgery one week from today.  So good luck to everyone who has set goals for 2018 and please let everyone know how it is going.

Driver -  :callaway-small:   Rogue ST Max
Woods - :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max  3, 5 & 7 Woods
Irons  -   :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max                                                                                                                                                                                       

Wedges - :cleveland-small:  Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*                                                                                                                                               

Putter -  Evnroll   ER2
Rangefinder - :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX-10 Slope
Ball -  :vice: Pro Tour Drip                                                                                                                                                                                           

Bag -  :tour-edge: Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

My main golf goal is to listen to my surgeon and rehab at the pace he tells me too. My understanding is that after back surgery it is a bad thing to push yourself past the limits the doctor sets. I am an impatient type so that will be hard. When he does finally allow me to return to golf I plan to schedule a series of lessons as my swing, like my back, has really deteriorated over these past 3+ years.

I do plan to get back into shape and lose at least 25 lbs. I plan to get together with my brother from another ole gray much more than I was able this year, I missed our fun rounds of "good shot". I plan to move my game back closer to the 6 hdcp I used to be instead of the 14 I am now. I plan to laugh and smile much more during rounds of golf and I plan to meet more "new" folks this coming year.

Of course I am probably 5 to 8 months for this to even begin as I am having the back surgery one week from today. So good luck to everyone who has set goals for 2018 and please let everyone know how it is going.

You got all this covered buddy

Wow,,,,, one week till surgery huh? I know you are ready to get this done/over and begin your recovery.

Cleveland

Only 10 lbs to lose but lots of work necessary on core muscles. One big advantage of this cold snowy weather is there's not much to do so the home gym is getting a workout

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I'm aiming to lose around 50lbs. I'm more interested in losing fat and keeping my muscle so if I fall a little short if that but keep and gain muscle I'll be happy

I wanna add 10mph of ball speed across the bag. At the end of the season my driver was around 155 and my 7i was at 120. So 165 and 130 are the goals

I plan to get the whole bag fitted and try to get most of those clubs. For the driver and FW I think it'll be new shafts because I like the heads

Practice my putting for about 10 minutes a day. Just focusing on a good stroke. Then once it warms up enough I'll work on the other stuff.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I want to lose another 25lbs and stay off the blood pressure meds.

Golf wise, I'd just like to play a lot more than I did last year, which hopefully, won't be that difficult.

Also, might try and sneak in a new EvnRoll putter and possibly a new bag.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

1. Become a great father! (First one on the way!!)

2. Practice at least 5 times a week

3. Work on slowing myself down at the range.

4. Work on 150 yards and in the most.

5. Think my way around a course. Play the shots with the best odds.

6. Make it to match play in the Utah State am

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha w/Fubuki ZT 60 S.

Woods: Taylormade TP R9 3W w/Fujikura Motore F1 85

Hybrid: Taylormade Rescue 2011 w/Aldila Rip S

Irons: 4-PW Mizuno MP-69 w/KBS Tour  C-Taper X130

Wedges: Maltby Tour Grind 52*,56*,60* w/KBS Tour C-Taper X130

Putter: 35" Odyssey Protype Tour Series #2 w/Superstroke Slim 3.0

1. Become a great father! (First one on the way!!)

2. Practice at least 5 times a week

3. Work on slowing myself down at the range.

4. Work on 150 yards and in the most.

5. Think my way around a course. Play the shots with the best odds.

6. Make it to match play in the Utah State am

Not trying to be a jerk, but with the “new one coming”, I sure hope you work at a course to be able to get 5 days of practice in. Somehow, babies and golf don't mix. Well, at least with MY three babies!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Ahh, to put down some goals... Sheesh. With all of the travel I do now for work, all I can commit to is traveling with my clubs. I would love to get down to a 5 handicap, but the practice needed for that may not be possible.

Since my coach is teaching me a SECOND new swing, getting THIS one down pat would be a great goal! But, again, the time for it will be tough.

love me some goals -- especially looking at them at the end of the year and wondering what the hell happened!

So for 2018:

1. Get down to 200 lb or lower - that's about 20 lbs

2. Be regular at the gym, stress core and flexibility. Age 60 is fast approaching...

3. Practice more - didn't practice as much as I'd like in 2017, which showed in inconsistency off the tee and in the short game

4. Meet and play with MGS'ers when possible during travels

5. Enjoy "empty nest" time with the Mrs. 

6. Have as much fun as humanly possible while staying employed.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Build strength & aerobic conditioning to pre-surgery levels

Take a few lessons

Get fitted for a new set of irons

Play more rounds

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

My goals for the coming year are much that same as those of the prior couple of years.   To value and enjoy the time with my buds and to continue playing on the green side of the grass.  

A couple of years ago, due to health issues, I wasn't sure if I could return to the course.   Fortunately, eventually, my doctor told be to return to playing but be careful and listen to my body and recognize my limitations.   Believe me, the fear of never playing again, certainly changes ones perspective.   Playing well and improving is still important and has a place as goals, but it ain't the be all or end all any more.  

love me some goals -- especially looking at them at the end of the year and wondering what the hell happened!

So for 2018:

2. Be regular at the gym, stress core and flexibility. Age 60 is fast approaching...

3. Practice more - didn't practice as much as I'd like in 2017, which showed in inconsistency off the tee and in the short game

Do you travel to any of the 8 States I cover:

TX, LA, MS, AR, AL, KY, TN, MI? I'm in TX the most outside of LA. If you are in these places, I'd love to meet-up for a round!

So for 2018:

You and I weigh about the same so maybe we can have a weekly weigh in starting the first of the new year. It will help us stay focused on the task. In fact, anyone who is desiring to drop those extra pounds should join us and post every Friday your lbs loss.

Cleveland

Do you travel to any of the 8 States I cover:

TX, LA, MS, AR, AL, KY, TN, MI? I'm in TX the most outside of LA. If you are in these places, I'd love to meet-up for a round!

I'll be spending a lot of time in Texas this year - and Mississippi is one of the states I need to visit to get to 50 (Hawaii and Wyoming are the other two) - will be in Louisville in a couple of weeks, but I'm guessing it's not a golf-friendly time of year there  :rolleyes:

I'll keep you posted - would love to hook up, if you don't mind golfing with an aging hacker!

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

You and I weigh about the same so maybe we can have a weekly weigh in starting the first of the new year. It will help us stay focused on the task. In fact, anyone who is desiring to drop those extra pounds should join us and post every Friday your lbs loss.

Seriously digging this idea!!!

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Archived