Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Does the golf ball have a distance problem? -From the blog

hckymeyer

Let's continue the conversation from the blog article found HERE

Does the golf ball have a distance problem?

Is there even a distance problem?  

What's the fix?

Does it even matter?

My position is this.  There might be a distance problem, but it's not due to the golf ball or the clubs.  Personally I don't think the average drive is too far.  Shorter hitters aren't picking up ten's of yards due to the golf ball.  What we are seeing is a higher percentage of players that are able to carry it 300+ yds.  

All this distance talk doesn't stem back to the ball.  It's all Tiger Woods fault.  Stick with me here on my hypothesis...

Take any sport, as the amount of money a player can earn gets higher and higher you get more people interested in pursuing that sport.  Just like the number of people buying lotto tickets skyrockets as the jackpot gets over $500 Million.  Now that purses of golf tourney's have gone up there is more competition in golf than ever before.  This competition has naturally bred a more athletic golfer.  To be in contention you have to be an athlete first and foremost.  This means fitness, nutrition and optimization of all facets of the game.  

There have always been a few guys on tour who were abnormally long off the tee, but with the evolution of the golfer we are seeing competitors that are bigger, faster, stronger etc in golf just like we have seen in baseball, football, basketball and hockey.  It's only natural that as golfers get more in shape and more athletic that we see more guys that can hit the ball a long way.  It's not that they are hitting the ball farther than ever before, it's that there are more of them that can hit it that long.

So back full circle, why are we seeing this influx of bigger, faster, stronger golfers?  Money, pure and simple.  Why is there more money in golf?  Tiger Woods.  Ergo if there is a distance problem in golf it's not the balls fault, it's Tiger's.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I've been arguing with many people about this and I agree with you Brian about stronger more athletic golfers. Just comparing the physiques of PGA pros from the mid 90s to the guys on tour now. Night and day difference. Plus they're stronger, so they can compete later into the season. Especially with the wrap around season now

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

All of it has evolved since I started playing--- I agree with the point that today's young bucks are in better physical shape than we were. The swing has changed too. Lee Trevino and John Daly alluded to that on a segment of Feherty. I had seen it before but saw it again last night. I think that the biggest advancements is in the shafts man have they went a long way. Remember there are limits on balls and COR on metal woods but there are no restrictions on shafts. To a point metal wood heads have went a long way too compared to the first metal heads and not only in size but materials and designs. We will not even get into metal versus persimmon even though from time to time I do play persimmon. We also know a whole lot more about the golf swing and maximum effect for our games. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

That's an interesting conclusion. I can see your point. I'd also like to see how far the guys now hit it with the balata ball and old school irons and drivers.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

For me about 35% less now remember newer clubs are a club and a half stronger because of lofts. Persimmon drivers put a lot of spin on the old balata ball I would hate to see how much a modern driver could spin a balata. In fact you got my curiosity up I have some old balata balls and I have never hit one with a metal driver. May try that for kicks and giggles when the weather clears.  

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Athletes are becoming stronger and as a result more can hit the ball farther.  This is occurring in all sports.   I agree with the article in that the courses are the biggest part of the problem.  With perfect conditions and generous fairways,  players really aren't penalized for hitting the ball long or somewhat wild.  We see courses that are setup to be more penal and as a result the scores go come closer to par.   The bigger question in my mind is does it really matter?  It doesn't really impact my game or how I play so I say just leave the equipment alone.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Personally, I see the golf ball being no different to a driver in terms of restrictions. Yes, the ball is going further than ever, but it's only been in increments over the past few years. The way that Tiger Woods etc. are going on about it, we (as amateurs) should be hitting the latest premium golf balls (Pro V1, TP5, etc.) about 50 yards further than a ball from 5 years ago. As long as the ball is being correctly regulated and managed, then there shouldn't be a problem with modern balls.

I agree with what Meyer and the others are saying as well, in the fact that golf has been turned into a more athletic sport - due to the increased performance of players (through gym work) and the increased purses at tournaments. A good example of the increased purse is that, in terms of pure prize money, Jack Nichlaus didn't make as much money as Tiger.

Meyer is also right in the fact that Tiger is partially responsible for the current state of both players and the prize money increases. He started the current trend of the modern athletic golfer, and due to his watchability to the general populace.

Driver: Cobra F9 Speedback (9.0) with Fujikura Atmos 7X (Avalanche White) 

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero (15 degrees) in Rogue Max 75g stiff shaft

Hybrid (not in play): Callaway Apex 20 degree with Kurokage 80g Stiff Shaft

Driving Iron: Wilson Staff Utility Iron 18 degree with KBS Hybrid Stiff shaft

Irons: Wilson Staff CB 4-PW in KBS 120 Stiff shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50; Callaway MD4 - 56; Vokey SM9 - 60

Putter: Taylormade Rossa CGB

Golf Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond 

When I started Golf the average player was 5'10” if I remember right. Probably weighed 150#. Now they are 6'2” and 190# or so. Then there is the equipment and shafts. Now take today's golfer have him stay out all night drinking smoking cigarettes and chasing wild women and you will dial the distance back. I just don't think it's the ball. I think these guys are just golf super stars in shape and making a lot of money

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I am not like you other golfers who seem to think you are one swing away from being pros. I'm 69, overweight, bad back and knees. In short, I am the major population of recreational golfers. I don't have a distance problem except that I want more of it. I read about all of your consistent 250 yard drives, but at the courses where I play, I just don't see it. I play a mixture of private, semi-private and public courses. I have played more than half of the top 100 courses in the US. I don't see that many golfers who obliterate courses with their distance. I quit the USGA because of their blind adherence to a position that refuses to recognize that real amateur golfers (not the top elite golfers which all of you seem to be from your posts) are totally different than pros and elite amateurs. The golf ball companies will continue to make the same balls they do now and simply sell them to people like me who will adapt to an "illegal" ball for our regular games to continue to enjoy golf. The game is frustrating enough. I don't need additional impediments to enjoying a round with friends. For the two to three real tournaments I play a year, I will use a legal ball, but I play for enjoyment, not trophies. All the USGA will accomplish is to make more golfers ignore or willfully break more rules which is the real problem with amateur golf from what I see. 90% plus of the golfers I see don't give a damn about getting the rules right, close or the major rules are enough. Another excuse to really harm golf by encouraging disregard for standards and rules.

This is just my opinion but I have worked in the civil and environmental engineering field for over 22 years.  I have a trained eye.

As earth moving capabilities got easier, golf course design got much more involved.  The courses of the late 19th and early 20th centuries were designed and developed with what mother nature provided with little earth being moved.  Since the 50's, designers have bragged about how many million cubic yards of dirt they moved to create "X" golf course.  Let's put that into perspective.  The average sized large scale construction grade dump truck holds 8 cubic yards of dirt!  Now, imagine how many dump truck loads are needed to produce a million cubic yards of dirt moved.  Why? 

I won't go into how design features of modern course design help keep my company in business.  But lets just say, business has been very good for more than two decades.  Simply put, buried pipe should be a last resort to containing runoff.  Not a staple, "go-to" to remove unwanted water.  That goes back to my previous statement of the old courses using what mother nature provided.  Stop fighting the water and let it do what it's going to do anyway.  Work with it and around it and stop being lazy and unimaginative!

Back on point, as more dirt was moved, fairways were made wider with landing areas the size of shopping centers to cater to the "average" golfer.  As a result, the average golfer has gotten worse while the top 1% have gotten better.  That's as much physique and athleticism as it is technology.  But giving the top 1% a landing area the size of an average WalMart is an advantage they don't need and significantly contributed to the perceived distance problem.  You won't see that complaint at Harbour Town.

My "go-to" example is Merion.  Every course design and set-up expert in the world said Merion was outdated and couldn't host "modern players" given their length off the tee.  Merion provided us with the most riveting US Open in recent memory. 

Just my perspective! 

This is just my opinion but I have worked in the civil and environmental engineering field for over 22 years.  I have a trained eye.

As earth moving capabilities got easier, golf course design got much more involved.  The courses of the late 19th and early 20th centuries were designed and developed with what mother nature provided with little earth being moved.  Since the 50's, designers have bragged about how many million cubic yards of dirt they moved to create "X" golf course.  Let's put that into perspective.  The average sized large scale construction grade dump truck holds 8 cubic yards of dirt!  Now, imagine how many dump truck loads are needed to produce a million cubic yards of dirt moved.  Why? 

I won't go into how design features of modern course design help keep my company in business.  But lets just say, business has been very good for more than two decades.  Simply put, buried pipe should be a last resort to containing runoff.  Not a staple, "go-to" to remove unwanted water.  That goes back to my previous statement of the old courses using what mother nature provided.  Stop fighting the water and let it do what it's going to do anyway.  Work with it and around it and stop being lazy and unimaginative!

Back on point, as more dirt was moved, fairways were made wider with landing areas the size of shopping centers to cater to the "average" golfer.  As a result, the average golfer has gotten worse while the top 1% have gotten better.  That's as much physique and athleticism as it is technology.  But giving the top 1% a landing area the size of an average WalMart is an advantage they don't need and significantly contributed to the perceived distance problem.  You won't see that complaint at Harbour Town.

My "go-to" example is Merion.  Every course design and set-up expert in the world said Merion was outdated and couldn't host "modern players" given their length off the tee.  Merion provided us with the most riveting US Open in recent memory. 

Just my perspective! 

I guess my rambling point is this.  Give the best players in the world a target area 80 yards wide and 120 yards deep with a "speed slot" to create another 100 yards of roll-out and distance will improve dramatically.  They have little incentive to throttle back.  The rough isn't punishment enough to discourage them from using less than driver off the tee.  Add in the fact that modern landscaping equipment helps create unknown amounts of additional roll-out, it's easy for me to see, this isn't a one size fits all issue.  You can't chose to complain about the technology of the equipment and not factor in the technology of the mowers.

I won't get started on the dogs**t TPC courses they play!  

I am not like you other golfers who seem to think you are one swing away from being pros. I'm 69, overweight, bad back and knees. In short, I am the major population of recreational golfers. I don't have a distance problem except that I want more of it. I read about all of your consistent 250 yard drives, but at the courses where I play, I just don't see it. I play a mixture of private, semi-private and public courses. I have played more than half of the top 100 courses in the US. I don't see that many golfers who obliterate courses with their distance. I quit the USGA because of their blind adherence to a position that refuses to recognize that real amateur golfers (not the top elite golfers which all of you seem to be from your posts) are totally different than pros and elite amateurs. The golf ball companies will continue to make the same balls they do now and simply sell them to people like me who will adapt to an "illegal" ball for our regular games to continue to enjoy golf. The game is frustrating enough. I don't need additional impediments to enjoying a round with friends. For the two to three real tournaments I play a year, I will use a legal ball, but I play for enjoyment, not trophies. All the USGA will accomplish is to make more golfers ignore or willfully break more rules which is the real problem with amateur golf from what I see. 90% plus of the golfers I see don't give a damn about getting the rules right, close or the major rules are enough. Another excuse to really harm golf by encouraging disregard for standards and rules.

I could not have said it any better myself. I have said it many times before but since you are new I will state it once again--- The average recreational golfer like yourself could care less about the PGA , USGA or the R&A for that matter they play golf for FUN. Me I am retired from comp and stipulated events and play small money matches and for fun. Like you I was a USGA Member but told them to stick it where the sun does not shine several years ago. 

A good example of what you stated about playing non conforming equipment to enjoy the game. When we had the golf shop a good customer of ours came in. His Dad was in his late 70s and thinking about giving up the game because of distance issues. I ended up building him a non conforming driver and setting him up with some Bandit non conforming balls. The old guy played for about 4 years more before he passed away. But until his death he played and both he and his son enjoyed playing together.

I started a little informal thing over on WRX called the Outlaw Golf Association (OGA) Basically play what equipment you want to and however you want to and have FUN doing it. Every time you can in print or in voice bash the autocratic USGA.

Now not to be misconstrued I have all the respect in the world for those amateurs that want to play stipulated events and keep a LEGIMATE handicap for those purposes No problems at all for me with those folks

G

It's quite simple - agronomy, ball, clubs, physical capability including player conditioning equal greater distance at the top of the game - so what?

I would argue that the ball is the least of these factors. There were always balls on the market that had nearly the same distance capabilities as today's ball - they were two piece surlyn cover things like the top flite or Pinnacle. The revolutionary thing about the Pro VI was that it gave that type of distance with great control and spin around the green (not balata like but good enough especially with 20 more yards).

Course conditions contribute to distance just as much or more than the ball - it's an easy exercise just look at the average driving distance between a tournament at Innisbrook and the John Deere Classic. There's nearly a 30 yard gap - you go from 3-5 guys averaging 300 to over 50.

For the USGA to even consider this shows how out of step it is.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

As has been mentioned throughout this thread, there are WAY many more reasons for the current situation of the number of guys averaging over 300 than JUST the ball. The fact that I hit a 359 yard drive a few months back at 48 years of age says there HAS to be more to this than a ball.

Shafts, spin optimization, club heads, swing speeds, white belts, etc, all play a role!!!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

white belts

A slight takeoff on the famous Spike Lee saying.....gotta be the belts!

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

As far as I'm concerned, this perceived "problem" only really affects around 1% of the golfing population globally. So things need to change because of them? I don't think so. 

The beauty of golf is the level playing field for all (including equipment) which has strict regulation (including the ball) which means nobody can claim an unfair advantage. 

I think Titleist did a study some time ago called technology v tradition and it came up with the conclusion that average distances hadn't increased by much at all and if there were gains, it was down to human fitness and course agronomy - not the golf ball. 

So when the likes of Jack Nicklaus get on their high horses and state that "something really needs to be done about the ball" they also tend to forget the time when they were hitting it 20 yards past everyone else using the same equipment as fellow competitors and subsequently being instrumental in the proliferation of metal headed drivers and manicured golf course design. Let him without sin cast the first stone Jack.

Personally, I believe it is a problem that doesn't need addressing squarely at the ball. Let championship courses grow a little rough and have tighter fairways and pretty soon you'll have pros crying for a longer ball - but alas, that doesn't make for great TV apparently....

I am not like you other golfers who seem to think you are one swing away from being pros. 

I read about all of your consistent 250 yard drives, but at the courses where I play, I just don't see it.

Maybe you could help me out a little here?

In all the posts on this forum, where do you come to the conclusion that any of "us other golfers" think we are one swing away from being a pro? Yes, there are some pretty accomplished players here (I'm not one of them), but I don't see any bragging about being almost a professional golfer amongst any of them.... and I highly doubt any of them think along those lines.

Why do think 250 yard drives are something that isn't possible or even normal for some of the guys here? Hell, I'm 58 and I can honestly hit the driver 250-260...still. Why would the younger guys on here not average that?

I'm not trying to be disrespectful, but I don't understand where you're coming from.

I'm also on the side of the fence that feels if the perceived so-called problem is on the Pro Tours .. then fix the "problem" there.

Leave the recreational player .. who wants to enjoy the game and observe the Rules of play .. alone.....

The course setup suggestions for tourneys seem to make good sense to me, too!

Anecdotally, saw a vid clip where a Euro Tour Player hit a Part 3 green about 310 yds out .. with a 3i..... (THREE iron)

So dialing back any of the equipment appears kinda pointless.

Agree that the "Tiger Effect" was a huge contributor to the trend of bigger and more physically fit players. And before Tiger appeared there was a young Ernie Els who was tall and fit and could hit it well past most of his opponents. You can't regulate that!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

What's the fix?

Does it even matter?

My position is this.  There might be a distance problem, but it's not due to the golf ball or the clubs.  Personally I don't think the average drive is too far.  Shorter hitters aren't picking up ten's of yards due to the golf ball.  What we are seeing is a higher percentage of players that are able to carry it 300+ yds.  

All this distance talk doesn't stem back to the ball.  It's all Tiger Woods fault.  Stick with me here on my hypothesis...

Take any sport, as the amount of money a player can earn gets higher and higher you get more people interested in pursuing that sport.  Just like the number of people buying lotto tickets skyrockets as the jackpot gets over $500 Million.  Now that purses of golf tourney's have gone up there is more competition in golf than ever before.  This competition has naturally bred a more athletic golfer.  To be in contention you have to be an athlete first and foremost.  This means fitness, nutrition and optimization of all facets of the game.  

There have always been a few guys on tour who were abnormally long off the tee, but with the evolution of the golfer we are seeing competitors that are bigger, faster, stronger etc in golf just like we have seen in baseball, football, basketball and hockey.  It's only natural that as golfers get more in shape and more athletic that we see more guys that can hit the ball a long way.  It's not that they are hitting the ball farther than ever before, it's that there are more of them that can hit it that long.

So back full circle, why are we seeing this influx of bigger, faster, stronger golfers?  Money, pure and simple.  Why is there more money in golf?  Tiger Woods.  Ergo if there is a distance problem in golf it's not the balls fault, it's Tiger's.

Interesting concept, it puts me "on the fence"  I hate sitting "on the fence".    I   have two little people sitting on my right and left shoulder. One doesn't agree, and tells me it's the ball and equipment, have everything to do with it. The other tells me, you have a very valid point. I'm glad it's a rail fence and not a picket.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Driver   :bridgestone-small:     JGR 9.5 R Flex Adila 65        

3 Wood  :callaway-logo-1:            XR RFlex Fujikura Evolution

5 Wood :callaway-logo-1:            XR R Flex Project X 5.5                                     

7Wood  :adams-small:    Speedline LP R Flex Matix HD Radix 5.1                                                                                                           Irons      :bridgestone-small:   4 thru A Wedge  J-15 CB R Flex NS Pro                                                                                                             Wedges :cleveland-small:              56 CG 15                                                                                                                                                                           XE!                      65                                                                                                                                                                       Putter      :EVNROLL:         ER 5  Hatchback                                                                                                                                                Ball          :titelist-small:                 NXT Tour S                                                                                                                                      

What's the fix?

Does it even matter?

My position is this. There might be a distance problem, but it's not due to the golf ball or the clubs. Personally I don't think the average drive is too far. Shorter hitters aren't picking up ten's of yards due to the golf ball. What we are seeing is a higher percentage of players that are able to carry it 300+ yds.

All this distance talk doesn't stem back to the ball. It's all Tiger Woods fault. Stick with me here on my hypothesis...

Take any sport, as the amount of money a player can earn gets higher and higher you get more people interested in pursuing that sport. Just like the number of people buying lotto tickets skyrockets as the jackpot gets over $500 Million. Now that purses of golf tourney's have gone up there is more competition in golf than ever before. This competition has naturally bred a more athletic golfer. To be in contention you have to be an athlete first and foremost. This means fitness, nutrition and optimization of all facets of the game.

There have always been a few guys on tour who were abnormally long off the tee, but with the evolution of the golfer we are seeing competitors that are bigger, faster, stronger etc in golf just like we have seen in baseball, football, basketball and hockey. It's only natural that as golfers get more in shape and more athletic that we see more guys that can hit the ball a long way. It's not that they are hitting the ball farther than ever before, it's that there are more of them that can hit it that long.

So back full circle, why are we seeing this influx of bigger, faster, stronger golfers? Money, pure and simple. Why is there more money in golf? Tiger Woods. Ergo if there is a distance problem in golf it's not the balls fault, it's Tiger's.

never roll back ball I feel - like everything in this crazy world comes down to money - all the ball companies would lose millions of dollars if the 1 ball philosophy on the pro tour happens. In my opinion narrow fairways grow rough up this levels playing conditions for all players - as soon as u make a course longer and longer u eliminate 40% of the field to win.

Bags

I listened to an interesting podcast with Dean Snell as the guest yesterday.  He had some great thoughts on the "ball problem"

Basically the ball has been restricted for almost 40 years.  It has a max initial velocity, weight, size and dimple restrictions.  The can't be any faster than it was 40 years ago.  They are able to manufacture to reduce spin on drivers while keeping spin on wedges though.

He thought the distance problem has 4 parts.  Increased fitness and athletic ability of modern players, the modern drivers, the ball and course conditions.  He basically said each part is equally responsible.  Trying to fix the issue with any one part is only going to cause more problems. He thought the best solution is to grow the rough a little bit and soften the fairways.

No OEM is going to come out with a driver that won't go farther...it won't sell and they lose the PGA player effect if they have to use a different driver.

No OEM is going to shell out $2 million in tooling to come up with a restricted ball.  Nobody will buy them and there would be no return on investment.

Players aren't going to stop working out and start eating Chipotle & KFC for every meal.

What's left and easier to control is course conditions.  He gave a great example.  Years back the PGA used to swing through La Costa in CA and he always went.  One year they had a ton of rain and the fairways weren't rolling.  That year compared to other years the average driving distance was 27 yards less.

So make the rough a little longer, soften up the fairways and then Monday morning mow it back to normal and don't water for a day.  Seems like an easier solution than creating new rules on drivers and balls.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Totally agree with your point Meyer. Dial back the equipment all you want but the athletes are going to just keeping getting bigger and stronger as workout regiments and supplements continually are developed. I've always kind of felt that the closely mown fairways are more about boosting distance numbers that making the course "more difficult."

BUT, I can already hear players like Ian Poulter complaining that the courses are shaggy and slow to make the course management staff look bad. Many of those courses take it as a symbol of pride they've got tight and fast fairways so this would need to be a regulation handed down by the PGA/USGA/R&A.

Or they could just leave it alone and let players drop bombs

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

From the fence,  I wholeheartedly agree no Golf equipment manufacturer is going to dial back anything. Never see ads for the shortest ball or this driver is 7.8 yards shorter, with more spin, than our nearest competitor. I also agree, that today's Pro's, long and shorter, nobody is really short any more, are in far better shape physically and mentally than their predecessors. My only personal observation is I can make is this. I am 60 years, I drive the ball on average 235-245, every once in awhile my Golf Buddy has told me it went 275. OK, when I was in my 20's, persimmon driver, I was hitting my second shots from the same places, on my home course, as I am today. I am no gym rat, no offense to the rat word, I am certainly not as strong or flexible, as I was 35 years ago. I'm 6'1"  154 lbs, same weight that I was when I graduated from high school, and joined the Navy. I probably make Chesson Hadley look fat. Not bragging, just a metabolism thing, I guess. So, the driver technology , and I suspect the ball, has attributed to this. My 150 club is still a 6 iron, my pitching wedge is still a 100 yards. I speak for myself only, but I believe the amateur golfer does not want to see 8,000 yard golf courses. Even if you hit from the 4th tee box up, you and I are going to pay,out of pocket, for those  8000 yards, whether we use them or not, I'm not using them. That being said, on the Pro level I suppose the only way to let Zach Johnson be on a some what level playing field with Dustin Johnson, is tighter fairways, longer rough, faster greens are out of the question, they did that, 11,12,13 on the stimp doesn't matter, they adjust to the speed and weather conditions,wind mostly, only allows to increase speed so much. Or do nothing at all, and trust me in the not to distant future 8000 yard golf courses and 400 yard drives will be the Professional norms.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Driver   :bridgestone-small:     JGR 9.5 R Flex Adila 65        

3 Wood  :callaway-logo-1:            XR RFlex Fujikura Evolution

5 Wood :callaway-logo-1:            XR R Flex Project X 5.5                                     

7Wood  :adams-small:    Speedline LP R Flex Matix HD Radix 5.1                                                                                                           Irons      :bridgestone-small:   4 thru A Wedge  J-15 CB R Flex NS Pro                                                                                                             Wedges :cleveland-small:              56 CG 15                                                                                                                                                                           XE!                      65                                                                                                                                                                       Putter      :EVNROLL:         ER 5  Hatchback                                                                                                                                                Ball          :titelist-small:                 NXT Tour S                                                                                                                                      

Meyer, your post citing Dean nailed it. And let's be honest. How many of us get to play courses that are prepped like PGA tour courses? I've posted this elsewhere, but 240 carry around here nets you 245 total. So I don't think I'm endangering the game.

As for touring pros, grow the rough and slow the fairways a bit if it's really a problem. But Harbor Town always seems to work out ok.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

From the fence,  I wholeheartedly agree no Golf equipment manufacturer is going to dial back anything. Never see ads for the shortest ball or this driver is 7.8 yards shorter, with more spin, than our nearest competitor. I also agree, that today's Pro's, long and shorter, nobody is really short any more, are in far better shape physically and mentally than their predecessors. My only personal observation is I can make is this. I am 60 years, I drive the ball on average 235-245, every once in awhile my Golf Buddy has told me it went 275. OK, when I was in my 20's, persimmon driver, I was hitting my second shots from the same places, on my home course, as I am today. I am no gym rat, no offense to the rat word, I am certainly not as strong or flexible, as I was 35 years ago. I'm 6'1"  154 lbs, same weight that I was when I graduated from high school, and joined the Navy. I probably make Chesson Hadley look fat. Not bragging, just a metabolism thing, I guess. So, the driver technology , and I suspect the ball, has attributed to this. My 150 club is still a 6 iron, my pitching wedge is still a 100 yards. I speak for myself only, but I believe the amateur golfer does not want to see 8,000 yard golf courses. Even if you hit from the 4th tee box up, you and I are going to pay,out of pocket, for those  8000 yards, whether we use them or not, I'm not using them. That being said, on the Pro level I suppose the only way to let Zach Johnson be on a some what level playing field with Dustin Johnson, is tighter fairways, longer rough, faster greens are out of the question, they did that, 11,12,13 on the stimp doesn't matter, they adjust to the speed and weather conditions,wind mostly, only allows to increase speed so much. Or do nothing at all, and trust me in the not to distant future 8000 yard golf courses and 400 yard drives will be the Professional norms.

Totally agree with you. My club selections have not really changed that much over the past 40 years. Matter of fact my irons are even longer now. Like you I am not a gym guy, still weight the same probably have shrunk at bit. I am not going win any long drive competitions, but still hit it far enough to play a decent game. As for the Pros, slow the fairways downand narrow them some, grow the rough, make the bunkers more of a hazard.

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

I listened to an interesting podcast with Dean Snell as the guest yesterday.  He had some great thoughts on the "ball problem"

Basically the ball has been restricted for almost 40 years.  It has a max initial velocity, weight, size and dimple restrictions.  The can't be any faster than it was 40 years ago.  They are able to manufacture to reduce spin on drivers while keeping spin on wedges though.

He thought the distance problem has 4 parts.  Increased fitness and athletic ability of modern players, the modern drivers, the ball and course conditions.  He basically said each part is equally responsible.  Trying to fix the issue with any one part is only going to cause more problems. He thought the best solution is to grow the rough a little bit and soften the fairways.

No OEM is going to come out with a driver that won't go farther...it won't sell and they lose the PGA player effect if they have to use a different driver.

No OEM is going to shell out $2 million in tooling to come up with a restricted ball.  Nobody will buy them and there would be no return on investment.

Players aren't going to stop working out and start eating Chipotle & KFC for every meal.

What's left and easier to control is course conditions.  He gave a great example.  Years back the PGA used to swing through La Costa in CA and he always went.  One year they had a ton of rain and the fairways weren't rolling.  That year compared to other years the average driving distance was 27 yards less.

So make the rough a little longer, soften up the fairways and then Monday morning mow it back to normal and don't water for a day.  Seems like an easier solution than creating new rules on drivers and balls.

Heck they water the crap out of the fairways around here now during the summer.

G

Totally agree with you. My club selections have not really changed that much over the past 40 years. Matter of fact my irons are even longer now. Like you I am not a gym guy, still weight the same probably have shrunk at bit. I am not going win any long drive competitions, but still hit it far enough to play a decent game. As for the Pros, slow the fairways downand narrow them some, grow the rough, make the bunkers more of a hazard.

Want a dose of reality? Do like I do from time to time play golf with persimmon woods and old spec blade irons with vintage shafts. Now I just recently built a set of 80 Mac VIPs with vintage shafts. Now they are jacked some compared to original specs. They are built just like my worn out set I played for years. Based off a 47* PW for starters. Now I do have vintage Hogan Apex shafts in them and I have tuned them some. They do not have as much loft as my 2013 X-forged based off stock 45* PW but just as strong. Now on my vintage rounds I will play either my Hogan Grinds or my most favorite vintage set my Macgregor Bob Toski Mity Mite irons circa 1953 with stock 53 specs and shafts 2 clubs difference easily with a modern ball usually a B Stone Treo Soft or Srixon Soft Feel. Lofts and shafts make a lot of difference. My modern driver I average around 240 at sea level a persimmon driver or 2 wood around 200 to 210 at sea level. That is reality but then again there is a difference between a 1950 Chevrolet and a 2018 Chevrolet. Things do evolve. 

G

Archived