Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

The annoyance of a golf swing getting longer....

puttingpirate

On Learning Golf, by Percy Boomer. 

“I always tell my pupils…never try to hit the ball; cultivate a sweep through the ball, and let the ball be nothing more than an incident in the swing.” (p. 160).

“If we make the ball our center of attraction, our acceleration will culminate at that point, and since our effort will be exhausted, we shall not ‘stay with the ball.'” (pp. 160-61.)

Regarding over-swinging:

“'You came down outside,' or ‘You are overswinging.' Those faults are mainly not mechanical at all; they arise from a false conception, and if I correct the false conception, the fault cures itself. In this case I found that the people who were overswinging were doing so because they were concentrating on the ball. When I explained that the climax of acceleration must be a yard or so past the ball, their back swings began to shorten automatically—because they felt the need for a reserve of power to enable them to go past the ball.” (p. 161)

“In short the good golfer measures the length of his back swing by the feel of his follow through. He is not consciously aware how far back he goes but he is aware of the acceleration climax point away past the ball. This point and not the ball is the true center of the swing…” (pp. 161-62).

On Learning Golf, by Percy Boomer. 

“I always tell my pupils…never try to hit the ball; cultivate a sweep through the ball, and let the ball be nothing more than an incident in the swing.” (p. 160).

“If we make the ball our center of attraction, our acceleration will culminate at that point, and since our effort will be exhausted, we shall not ‘stay with the ball.'” (pp. 160-61.)

Regarding over-swinging:

“'You came down outside,' or ‘You are overswinging.' Those faults are mainly not mechanical at all; they arise from a false conception, and if I correct the false conception, the fault cures itself. In this case I found that the people who were overswinging were doing so because they were concentrating on the ball. When I explained that the climax of acceleration must be a yard or so past the ball, their back swings began to shorten automatically—because they felt the need for a reserve of power to enable them to go past the ball.” (p. 161)

“In short the good golfer measures the length of his back swing by the feel of his follow through. He is not consciously aware how far back he goes but he is aware of the acceleration climax point away past the ball. This point and not the ball is the true center of the swing…” (pp. 161-62).

Love it. 

Not focusing on the ball - I was aware of that. But lets see how it will work when I'll make a conscious effort to think like that :) Lets hope it wont be all tops! :)

I'm not golf expert.But I did have a massive over swing problem.Pro had me focus on the hands in clubhead out takeaway-backswing.The clubhead felt like it looked at the ball for the entire backswing.My backswing went from John Daly to 3/4 in a short period of time

Keep it in the short stuff

I'm not golf expert.But I did have a massive over swing problem.Pro had me focus on the hands in clubhead out takeaway-backswing.The clubhead felt like it looked at the ball for the entire backswing.My backswing went from John Daly to 3/4 in a short period of time

Thx! Its already back to normal, short and sweet :)

Archived