TESTERS WANTED! ×

When is it ok to give help to playing partners

RadRon

I'm not the greatest golfer. I play to a 9 handicap. But I've been playing for a long time and I've made a lot of mistakes and learned a lot along the way. Some of the guys I play with clearly have incorrect concepts about how to hit a golf ball. Slicers are the worst offenders, followed closely by guys who try to lift the ball in the air with irons and those who tee the ball too low when using a driver. I know I can help them with these misconceptions and sometimes I have, but I am still reluctant to say anything during a round. These same guys almost never see the range so that is out too. What is your take about offering advice to other golfers?

Never.  Unless you are being paid to give someone a lesson don't offer advice.  Just don't be that guy.

If someone specifically asks for your help and they are a buddy then by all means, after the round, feel free to hit the range and offer some tips. 

But please don't ever offer unsolicited advice about the golf swing to anybody.  Period.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Never*

*- Unless they ask me to look at a specific thing that would be obvious if they were videoing themselves, i.e., poor alignment.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

Never*

*- Unless they ask me to look at a specific thing that would be obvious if they were videoing themselves, i.e., poor alignment.

It's a slippery slope. If someone asks for help with alignment I tell them to line up, then set their club lined up across their toes and step back and look.

This is different if you are golfing with your regular buddies that you play with all the time.  They are your friends and you should know how they will take it.  

This advice applies to everyone else though.  If it's a random pair up, or a casual friend you don't play with often, don't offer advice.

My friends and myself are not good golfers. I don't offer up big tips or anything, but I'll tell them things I've read and learned. Usually, it's things around the green and including putting. Had one friend get better at distance control from a tip I gave him. Basically if they're your friends, go ahead and and give some tips. Just don't insult them and come right out and say they're doing it wrong. They'll either listen to you or not or tell you that you suck too. Well, that's what they would say to me.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I always freely offer this advice.

“I have my pros contact info. Would you like his card or shall I text it to you?”

If it's a close friend and he wants an eye on his set up I will give it. I played with a very close friend yesterday. He was crushing the ball through the bag but shanking his wedges. It was bizarre - I know it's because of his ball position (off his back foot!). But there's also other things going on that I can't figure out. He will have to see his pro to fix it. That or lay up short of wedge - that's what he did from the middle of the round on.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Only when they ask. And even then I always say, “Man, I'm no pro and can't see everything in a person's swing. I'd like to help, but I'm not really qualified.”

Seriously, I try not to even if they ask... I am TRULY not capable.

Now, if we're on a basketball court, or if they're a coach??? I'm ALL IN!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

You guys are completely discounting the possibility of a beginner desperate for advice but feeling like any such request would be an imposition on their playing partners. The subject of advice can certainly be broached without exchanging any pointed information, i.e. "How do you feel about advice?"

It's odd to see our newly crowned forum director handing down blunt mandates on a such a variable dependent subject, effectively stifling discussion. It's not good for business. Period.

To all those offering their advice on "never offering advice"....thank you for the chuckle.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

You guys are completely discounting the possibility of a beginner desperate for advice but feeling like any such request would be an imposition on their playing partners. The subject of advice can certainly be broached without exchanging any pointed information, i.e. "How do you feel about advice?"

It's odd to see our newly crowned forum director handing down blunt mandates on a such a variable dependent subject, effectively stifling discussion. It's not good for business. Period.

To all those offering their advice on "never offering advice"....thank you for the chuckle.

I'm entitled to my opinion and I have the same right as everyone else to voice it.  I'm always open to a healthy discussion.

I stand by my opinion as well, and I believe I said unsolicited advice.  That's an important distinction and based on the OP's wording that is what it sounded like he was alluding to so that's the direction I took it.

I also said after the round on the range would be a good place to give advice if it's asked for.

I say never as well.   I don't know how to teach the golf swing much less determine what a person is doing wrong.  It is like reading a tip in a magazine;  if you apply the wrong tip it won't help the swing and may in fact make it worse.   

The only place I am willing to offer information on is putting.  I have been taught a lot about putting and i am willing to provide my take on putting.  That said,  the approach I was taught was that people make choices and there are results tied to those choices.  My advice is more about how you can assess your choices and how others might impact the stroke.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I disagree on never giving advice. If someone is obviously struggling with something and you see a glaring issue, you should ask if they'd like a tip. For example...... I was playing with a guy that was hitting 150yd duck hooks that never got more than 5' off the ground, with his driver. I asked if he'd like a tip and when he said “yes”, I moved the ball position from the middle of his stance to his front foot. This resulted in him splitting every FW at about 260 for the rest of the round. He was ecstatic and thanked me, by buying me a couple beers after the round. In most cases, I won't offer advice, but when I see something that is a simple fix, I will certainly ask.

• SPY VIP

Maybe you missed this part that Brian said earlier.

This is different if you are golfing with your regular buddies that you play with all the time.  They are your friends and you should know how they will take it.  

This advice applies to everyone else though.  If it's a random pair up, or a casual friend you don't play with often, don't offer advice.

That does not seem like a "blunt mandate" to me. Brian's responses have been quite nuanced actually.

Offering suggestions to interested friends is one thing. If you offer unsolicited advice to anyone though, you are probably adding a new distracting swing thought to the beginner, or seasoned golfer, and potentially distracting them for the rest of the round. During a round, focus on your own game.

In my experience, there is no worse random partner than the one that feels obligated to help me with my swing. I know my swing has issues, but I don't need to hear a stranger's interpretation of it, especially if he or she is not a trained teaching pro. One does not become a doctor just because he/she had the flu once.

If one really wants to help a beginner, that's great. Take him or her to the range after. Maybe just casually mention that the course has a great teacher that you have benefited from after taking lessons.

Remember too that a true beginner is likely nervous about playing on the actual course. He or she has hit the range a few times, but has little experience on the course. The last thing that he or she likely needs is a person telling them that they are swinging wrong. If you can't help but be helpful, maybe focus on playing etiquette, but leave the swing alone, unless specifically asked, or if they open with something like "Man, I just don't know what I'm doing wrong."

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

This is a very meta-thread, soliciting advice about unsolicited advice. Feels like an episode of "community"

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

Offering and soliciting advice are two interesting interactions- both requiring humility, some vulnerability, and some tact in both asking and providing.  Many of the individuals who are willing to offer are low to mid single digit players- they have game.  I am pretty sure none of them would spontaneously blurt out "Hey, you're doing it wrong" or "Here, this will help you with that terrible snap-hook..."  All stated that they would offer if asked, and preface their comments with "I am not a pro- or this is something that might help, but..."  showing some humility before sharing advice or recommendations. 

Similarly, me, as a solid 11, would not ask a 20+ playing partner what the secret was to his booming drive (not) or great experience getting out of traps (also probably not)- I would more likely solicit that from a friend who is as good or better than me- but again, this takes some tact and some humility, and an acknowledgment of vulnerability- showing you have, and recognize a personal weakness - in this case, a flaw in your game...

Whether you be the requester or provider- if done with humility, tact and when appropriate (i.e. solicited)- I think it would be ok-

My wife has another thought on subjects like this - she asks three questions

1.  Does it need to be said?

2.  Does it need to be said NOW?

3.  Does it need to be  said by ME??

If you cant comfortably answer YES to all three, you may want to reconsider...

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

Never unless I am asked.....

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Not yet mentioned in this thread (but has been in others on this subject) .. giving or asking for advice - during the course of a stipulated round - incurs a 2 stroke penalty.

So - anyone keeping score and submitting a round for their handicap should do neither.

Personally, I don't ask for advice unless I'm taking a playing lesson with a teaching pro; I don't offer advice except to my wife .. and then only every once in a while .. and only when I see her repeatedly struggling with something I think it's a straightforward fix .. and then I will "suggest" that she, eg., check her alignment - I will not line her up nor tell her how to do it.

I agree that each person should play their own game out on the course.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

The overwhelming majority of replies within this thread begin "never" and conclude with "but, unless, however, only, etc..."

The absolutes and exceptions contained within these responses adequately illustrate the scenario variability referenced in my original reply and are the reason I believe an unflinching umbrella policy re: advice is far from a nuanced approach.

OP inquired about offering advice but I think most replies in this thread are actually thinly veiled opinions about being on the receiving end of unsolicited advice; more specifically, advice from a source deemed personally dubious. Well, there are many PGA accredited professionals that I consider terrible instructors and my amateur status has not precluded me from helping regular playing partners and strangers alike to improve immediately and dramatically.

The golf course is undoubtedly a poor place to present swing theory. But if someone is standing way too far from the ball for example, telling them to move closer cannot hurt. Similarly, a playing partner strangling their putter and struggling with speed will immediately benefit from reducing grip pressure. I'm certainly not in a position to claim OP has no constructive knowledge to offer those around him.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

The overwhelming majority of replies within this thread begin "never" and conclude with "but, unless, however, only, etc..."

The absolutes and exceptions contained within these responses adequately illustrate the scenario variability referenced in my original reply and are the reason I believe an unflinching umbrella policy re: advice is far from a nuanced approach.

OP inquired about offering advice but I think most replies in this thread are actually thinly veiled opinions about being on the receiving end of unsolicited advice; more specifically, advice from a source deemed personally dubious. Well, there are many PGA accredited professionals that I consider terrible instructors and my amateur status has not precluded me from helping regular playing partners and strangers alike to improve immediately and dramatically.

The golf course is undoubtedly a poor place to present swing theory. But if someone is standing way too far from the ball for example, telling them to move closer cannot hurt. Similarly, a playing partner strangling their putter and struggling with speed will immediately benefit from reducing grip pressure. I'm certainly not in a position to claim OP has no constructive knowledge to offer those around him.

had to pull out the dictionary on this one....... great writing.

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Solicited advice contains the variability.

Personally my opinion on unsolicited advice is a blanket statement. Never.

Unsolicited advice? I wouldn't - I'm not a teaching pro. If someone asks me I only go as far as to share what works for me, and tell whoever it is that I'm not a pro.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I refuse to take advice unless the person has stayed at a Holiday Inn Express the night before.  ;) 

I have a friend (78 years old) who I talk a lot about the golf swing with.  This guy has a beautiful repeatable swing and knows his stuff. He's a guru on the Ben Hogan swing and also a Harvey Pinick deciple. He knows my swing better than most and he also knows the right side of my body is held together with screws & metal parts.  We are working on a swing that will work around some of my physical issues.  If a person does not know what you have going on physically, they should not offer advice unless you ask for it.  

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I refuse to take advice unless the person has stayed at a Holiday Inn Express the night before. ;)

HA! I was staying off this thread for fear of catching fire but that comment just gave me an awesome belly laugh. Nice one OG.

For me, I'm inexperienced in this topic because I've never given or received unsolicited advice on the course.

I've gotten plenty of "schooling" in the workplace on matters I know well and boy is that frustrating to maintain politeness.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

To all those offering their advice on "never offering advice"....thank you for the chuckle.[/quote

I would argue it's even more important for a beginner to take lessons. Who the heck am I to give Golf lessons. The best I have ever been has been a 1. I never went through school to learn how to teach golf - I've been to school to learn how to teach music and have taught theology at the graduate level - I've learned how to do those things. I've also coached middle school golf - I show them a basic grip, teach etiquette and wait for it..... encourage lessons at their own club or through the first tee where real pros will establish the basics for a life time of enjoyment.

None of our moderators have ever been afraid to share their opinions. Bones particularly could stir the pot. Ive has several interested exchanges with him. I miss having him here to back and forth on stuff. Those debates were always healthy ones.

With very few exceptions we should not be giving advice to strangers beyond go see a pro. That's my opinion.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

If they ask me? Sure.

If they don't? Never. I don't want to assume they want or need my advice. Or cloud their head with something that might work for me but might screw them up even worse.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

Not sure why everyone is getting so worked up about this topic. The OP asked what's "Your" opinion about giving advice, give your's and move on and don't criticize others opinions.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

Never, unless you are a trained PGA Professional.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

To me, it just depends on how well you know the person.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

To me, it just depends on how well you know the person.

Bingo! I have a select few who know my swing well enough to shed some light. Of course I can also tell them when to stfu

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Archived