TESTERS WANTED! ×

Weight Loss Thread

MattF

I do have a tip. Track what you eat, religiously (Sorry Rev).

I use myfitnesspal.com and you'd be amazed at how conscious you get about how much you are eating. Not what, but how much.

Want a beer or 3, log it...150 calories for each beer adds up. 

My exercise consists of walking. I walk about 5-6,000 steps a day in my office job and an additional 8-12,000 steps at Lowes. I work 2-5 nights a week there. There's also strength training with all the lifting we do unloading the truck...up to 130 lb safes or 2 guys with a vanity that weighs close to 300 lbs.

There will be ups and downs but don't get discouraged, that's what I hope this thread will do, help each other to do what we'd like to do regarding our weight.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Well, I'm in it for the long haul. Not only lose weight but maintain the loss, so I'll be checking in until the thread dies.

I just meant for the challenge part, I hope everyone here is in for the long haul but I know that I find it easier to have short-term goals that lead up to my long-term goals

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I just meant for the challenge part, I hope everyone here is in for the long haul but I know that I find it easier to have short-term goals that lead up to my long-term goals

Since this is a golf forum let's make the mark at Master's week so our challenge will run from Jan 1st until April 5th?   Sound good to you all?

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Since this is a golf forum let's make the mark at Master's week so our challenge will run from Jan 1st until April 5th? Sound good to you all?

K, fair enough.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Since this is a golf forum let's make the mark at Master's week so our challenge will run from Jan 1st until April 5th? Sound good to you all?

Sounds good to me

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

We have a ton of folks  ready to drop some pounds and start the new year right!  Ok folks clean out that fridge, eat up the ice cream and cake, down all them Christmas cookies and let's get ready to get the lard off the arse!

Cleveland

Well my doctor just told me I need to start taking medication for my thyroid so I'm hoping that may help me lose some weight once I start to get that under control.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

You got this partner!  Thyroid problems can definitely cause some weight issues. 

Cleveland

Just picked up a new scale for the new year. This one will track body fat so I can keep a closer track on how things are going

I'm in also. I have been struggling to get below 220. 5 years ago after 3 years of sitting on my ass in nursing school I was 250+. I refused to weigh myself cause it was demoralizing. Now I walk 95% of my rounds and have stabilized at 220 ish. Ready to step down again.

I'm in too. At around 210 and would like to start by getting to 195.

I haven't seen anyone mention getting to a gym or some form of exercise. Dieting is only one portion of weight loss. Fortunately for my lazy ass, there's a gym down the street.

I'll also second another comment. Drop or significantly reduce the booze and non-diet pop.

Looking forward to this! How about a sponsor for biggest loser prize? Golf in Hawaii?

it would have to be a percentage with a tie breaker.

I am also curious how loosing weight effects swings. Good and or bad.

it would have to be a percentage with a tie breaker.

I am also curious how loosing weight effects swings. Good and or bad.

Personally I think  losing weight will help your backswing transition.  You take a 10 lb bucket of water and rotate it back and through and then do the same with a 50 lb bucket. Losing those extra pounds should free up your swing and at the same time give you more flexibility. 

Cleveland

Personally I think losing weight will help your backswing transition. You take a 10 lb bucket of water and rotate it back and through and then do the same with a 50 lb bucket. Losing those extra pounds should free up your swing and at the same time give you more flexibility.

Fo me it gave me a lot of speed back and got me out of some bad habits. Another plus was my short game. Easier to hit touch shots when my belly was not in the way.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Count me in. Never hurts to try and loose some lbs

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

Fo me it gave me a lot of speed back and got me out of some bad habits. Another plus was my short game. Easier to hit touch shots when my belly was not in the way.

Your correct, getting rid of the excess belly fat will help everything you stated plus I believe we will all feel better about our game and ourselves.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Personally I think losing weight will help your backswing transition. You take a 10 lb bucket of water and rotate it back and through and then do the same with a 50 lb bucket. Losing those extra pounds should free up your swing and at the same time give you more flexibility.

Ole gray, I think the other benefit is increased energy level. Last year I went from 184 down to 170 through exercise and found dramatic improvement in how I felt.

To use your example of the buckets whether it's 10 or 50 lbs walk around with that in a bucket and see how you feel before and after.

The only other comment to the other posts is (disclaimer I'm not an exercise professional) is that in the weight loss process muscle is lost first then fat. Therefore weight loss without an exercise program to build muscle could be a negative impact to golf.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Count me in Matt, like you for the long haul. Currently at 210, want to be 180. I am enrolled in a 16 week course thru the VA called Move. My first meeting is on Jan 4th. No fancy drugs, just managing what you eat and exercising more. The latter is difficult because of my ankle but I am gonna give it a go.

I also am using the Fitness Pal App, logging everything.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Ole gray, I think the other benefit is increased energy level. Last year I went from 184 down to 170 through exercise and found dramatic improvement in how I felt.

To use your example of the buckets whether it's 10 or 50 lbs walk around with that in a bucket and see how you feel before and after.

The only other comment to the other posts is (disclaimer I'm not an exercise professional) is that in the weight loss process muscle is lost first then fat. Therefore weight loss without an exercise program to build muscle could be a negative impact to golf.

Everybody should join a gym if they can afford it. If not in the budget find a way to exercise your body.   You'll feel better and stronger so get off them arses and get to it!

Cleveland

Everybody should join a gym if they can afford it. If not in the budget find a way to exercise your body. You'll feel better and stronger so get off them arses and get to it!

We are going to have gym access starting January 5th. Looking forward 2 it.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Atta boy!  Beware as you can hooked on it  ;) 

Cleveland

Everybody should join a gym if they can afford it. If not in the budget find a way to exercise your body. You'll feel better and stronger so get off them arses and get to it!

This is all great everyone!!

For those that can't get to a gym or afford to join, there are plenty of home exercises to do that require no equipment other than maybe TheraBands for simple resistance training of the hips and glutes. I'm not a fitness pro either, but any basic exercise is better than nothing - even a brisk walk around the block! It ould be great if there are any true fitness certified people here to provide some suggestions or guidance.

Anyone ever have a TPI evaluation done or work their program? Curious to the cost and complexity of the program.

This is all great everyone!!

For those that can't get to a gym or afford to join, there are plenty of home exercises to do that require no equipment other than maybe TheraBands for simple resistance training of the hips and glutes. I'm not a fitness pro either, but any basic exercise is better than nothing - even a brisk walk around the block! It ould be great if there are any true fitness certified people here to provide some suggestions or guidance.

Anyone ever have a TPI evaluation done or work their program? Curious to the cost and complexity of the program.

Our Health Care Provider has given all its members (Village resident members) free access to the basic services in the Gym Facilities here in The Villages. It is an awesome opportunity. The facilities are new, updated and spotless. Looking forward to it as we definitely have gotten out of shape in past 2 years with subsequent health problems.

Looking forward to see how we all do in the next few months and good luck to all. This will be a great year ahead

Rick

Left Hand, 

Everybody should join a gym if they can afford it. If not in the budget find a way to exercise your body.   You'll feel better and stronger so get off them arses and get to it!

Yes Sir!

After my foot fully heals up and after my golf trip to Palm Springs, I will.  I was going to anyway, but since you put it that way...

Our local community college has a program for seniors.  We can audit any class we want for free, as long the class isn't full.  They have a wonderful full gym for their athletes and students, and it costs us "gym fee" which is $14 for 3 months.  However, we can't sign up until two weeks after school starts.  Time to dust off my student ID.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I am going Walker style moving forward. Daily sit up, push ups and stretching.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Agree 100% Tony. Exercise is a must.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Wishon clubs, Odyssey CS stroke lab putter

Yes Sir!

After my foot fully heals up and after my golf trip to Palm Springs, I will. I was going to anyway, but since you put it that way...

Our local community college has a program for seniors. We can audit any class we want for free, as long the class isn't full. They have a wonderful full gym for their athletes and students, and it costs us "gym fee" which is $14 for 3 months. However, we can't sign up until two weeks after school starts. Time to dust off my student ID.

Now that's one heck of a deal!! No excuse not to get in shape so have fun with it

Cleveland