TESTERS WANTED! ×

Weight Loss Thread

MattF

12 minutes ago, Kor.A.Door said:

Struggling here. I’m not seeing positive results, and it really gets frustrating, how can I work out, cut out pop, reduce food intake, reduce sugar, yet still gain weight. I have started a new work out routine, and I have started a new food plan change. Hopefully I will start to see some better results with these new plans. 

If it makes you feel any better, I had a stomach virus last week and I gained 2 pounds after consuming a whopping 300 calories after a day and half.  To spin off of a popular song, these scales ain't loyal.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

34 minutes ago, Kor.A.Door said:

Struggling here. I’m not seeing positive results, and it really gets frustrating, how can I work out, cut out pop, reduce food intake, reduce sugar, yet still gain weight. I have started a new work out routine, and I have started a new food plan change. Hopefully I will start to see some better results with these new plans. 

I went through a similar phase where I was stuck for about a month. All of a sudden 5 more pounds dropped off without any real changes in my routine. Stick with it, good things will happen. 

I told myself I was building muscle to explain the lack of weight loss. Whether that was true or not is a different story. 

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

17 hours ago, Kor.A.Door said:

I think this statement is what most (all) "diets" fail to discuss...the psychological struggle of weight loss...which is very similar to golf. Golf is what, 80%-90% mental and 10%-20% physical? Weight loss is along the same lines. I've seen stats that show diets have a 5% success rate after 3 years. Diets promote this rapid weight loss and show these folks that 'lost 35lbs in 3 months!!' (which is unhealthy weight loss). Truth is, it's a slow and steady process and only those with extreme caloric restriction will see quick weight loss...only to gain it back and then some when they resume 'normal' eating habits because your body has been starved and will quickly store those additional calories as fat. Remember, a healthy week of weight loss is 1-2 lbs. That's 4-7 lbs a month. And yes, you will have setbacks. You have to allow for them. Some weeks you do great, some you don't. It's like in golf when you practice those 3-5ft putts on the practice green and only to miss the first 4 footer you face on the course. How you respond will dictate your round and similarly, your weight loss goals. Hang in their boss, your hard work will pay off. We'd all love to take a pill, kick back on the couch and watch the weight fall off, but that's fantasy. Keep us posted on your progress. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

19 hours ago, Kor.A.Door said:

Weight loss or gain is about calories in vs calories out or as some say energy expenditure. So if you are gaining weight then you aren’t truly in a caloric deficit.  There are 3 phases to “dieting” (hate that word btw).  There’s maintenance which is self explanatory. There’s caloric deficit which is how one loses weight...eating less than ones maintenance calories. Weight gain eating more calories than needed to maintain.

weight loss is as much about the weight loss as it is about keeping it off long term.

what is your current caloric intake? What type of weight loss plan are you using? What’s your workout routine (type of weight training and cardio and how many days and for how long each session?)

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I think this statement is what most (all) "diets" fail to discuss...the psychological struggle of weight loss...which is very similar to golf. Golf is what, 80%-90% mental and 10%-20% physical? Weight loss is along the same lines. I've seen stats that show diets have a 5% success rate after 3 years. Diets promote this rapid weight loss and show these folks that 'lost 35lbs in 3 months!!' (which is unhealthy weight loss). Truth is, it's a slow and steady process and only those with extreme caloric restriction will see quick weight loss...only to gain it back and then some when they resume 'normal' eating habits because your body has been starved and will quickly store those additional calories as fat. Remember, a healthy week of weight loss is 1-2 lbs. That's 4-7 lbs a month. And yes, you will have setbacks. You have to allow for them. Some weeks you do great, some you don't. It's like in golf when you practice those 3-5ft putts on the practice green and only to miss the first 4 footer you face on the course. How you respond will dictate your round and similarly, your weight loss goals. Hang in their boss, your hard work will pay off. We'd all love to take a pill, kick back on the couch and watch the weight fall off, but that's fantasy. Keep us posted on your progress. 

I really like this - I’m holding steady at 165 after taking 9 months to loose the 45 lbs that got me there. The first two months I lost 15 lbs. The loss slowed after that.

I’m still in the process of reshaping my body even if I’m not loosing weight. I find that I need goals to keep the weight off and also experiment with what I can and can’t eat.

It’s a rest of my life process but I’m very happy with where I’m at.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

12 minutes ago, revkev said:

I really like this - I’m holding steady at 165 after taking 9 months to loose the 45 lbs that got me there. The first two months I lost 15 lbs. The loss slowed after that.

I’m still in the process of reshaping my body even if I’m not loosing weight. I find that I need goals to keep the weight off and also experiment with what I can and can’t eat.

It’s a rest of my life process but I’m very happy with where I’m at.

The bolded is why I hate the word diet. Diets fail because 1) they are too restrictive (think no carbs, clean food, etc) 2) there’s a goal weight to get to and it’s not always easy but then there’s no plan on how to keep the weight off (something I struggled with after my weight cut in 2016-2017) and therefore people gain it all back and many times more than they lost.

its a lifestyle choice and when done right keeping the weight off.  

Can you explain more on the “what I can and can’t eat”? I ask because I’m a firm believe in macro counting and calories in vs calories out and therefore there is no food off limits 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

I want to share my weight loss journey, so excuse my while I hammer out this longish post 

I'll preface this by saying a few things. First, my opinion on this stuff is based on my experiences. Second, I've been active for as long as I can remember including doing a couple bodybuilding shows a little over 20 years ago. And lastly, growing up I was always a chubby kid and that followed me as I grew up. 

@RickyBobby_PR and I have been friends for a few years, and at some point in 2015 we were talking about fitness and nutrition. During that conversation, he mentioned IIFYM or flexible nutrition, which I was not familiar with. To give everyone a bit more context, over the years I had dabbled with a number of weight loss 'schemes'. Body for Life (lost 30 pounds), Isagenix (lost 20 pounds), keto (before it was mainstream, lost 25 pounds), relying on 'fat burners',  and more that I can't remember at the moment. I kind of posted about this in another thread, but I think there comes a time in everyone's life when they reach a point that becomes a catalyst for change. The aforementioned conversation was not that moment for me, but mine was in early December 2016. I was in grad school and I got up to get ready for class and was doing my usual morning routine. I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and started tearing up. In my mind, I looked and felt like crap and it was that exact moment that I decided to do something about it. I reached out to the trainer RBPR had mentioned back in 2015 and got to work. Long story short, from December 2016 to September 2017 I lost 60 pounds (235 to 175) and dropped 18% body fat (28% to 10%) along the way. This was accomplished primarily via tracking my macros with MyFitnessPal along with some weight training and cardio mixed in. Hell, towards the end (probably around the 185 point) I wasn't even doing cardio. Since then, I reversed (increased my calories) and got back up to 200 over the course of ONE YEAR. I've expressed this before to those close to me, but going the route I did literally saved my life because I was not in a good place from a health perspective. The one thing I learned along the way is that the 'quick fix' doesn't work LONG TERM. And it was mentioned a few posts up, but the mental part of weight loss cannot be understated. Because I guarantee almost everyone who has tried to lose weight gets caught up in what the scale reads at some point, which usually results in them quitting. Sustainable weight loss is all about having the long view, because if you're shortsighted , you're going to get caught in the yo-yo dieting cycle, which is not a good place to be. 

Now, am I saying flexible nutrition is the only way to lose weight? Nope. It worked for me, but that doesn't mean it's for everyone. What I do know is if you're not in a caloric deficit, you're not going to lose weight and that's just the simplified view of it. For sure, there can be other elements that make weight loss more challenging for some than it is for others, but I truly believe if you find a nutritional approach that works for you and you're consistent with it, you can lose weight. Consistency is your homeboy when it comes to this stuff. It's not always sexy, you're not going to see the scale drop every time you step on it and to be honest, you're not always going to feel good doing it. But understanding the dedication that it takes to lose weight is a necessary first step to doing it the right way. Everyone's path is going to be different, but I believe anyone can achieve sustainable weight loss if they put their mind to it. There's a ton of legitimate, FREE information out there on the interwebz related to some of the stuff I've mentioned and it has been helpful in dispelling myths and helping me better understand some of the 'why' behind fat loss. And ironically enough, none of that literature mentions the power of celery juice 😜

To those of you pursuing weight loss, let me encourage you to be patient and realize that the scale is only one part of the story!   

EDIT: Added my progress chart from MFP to highlight the fact that weight loss is not a straight path!

IMG_1944.PNG

:cobra-small: LTDx Black 10.5º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 6F4
:cobra-small: LTDx 3W 15º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 7F4
:ping-small: G425 3H 19º | UST Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F4
:srixon-small: Z785 4-PW | UST Recoil 125 Proto F4
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50
º Mid, 54º Mid, 60º Mid | UST Recoil Wedge Proto F4
:EVNROLL: ER5BV | BGT Stability Tour

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

44 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Can you explain more on the “what I can and can’t eat”? I ask because I’m a firm believe in macro counting and calories in vs calories out and therefore there is no food off limits 

So far, I have managed to lose about 25 pounds (goal is < 200 pounds, so I have about 10 pounds to go) strictly doing the cals out vs cals in without too much thinking about what made up those calories (I haven't really changed what I eat, just the amount and making sure I exercise enough to offset it). In that regard, tracking what and how much I eat with the Fitbit app and comparing the output has been very, very helpful for me.

My wife is constantly encouraging me to add more fruits and veggies to my meals, which I admittedly need to do, but so far tracking strictly in vs out has been working for me.

Been on vacation for the last 4 days with my family and a few days left.  Certainly eating out more and not quite as well as I normally would, but proud that I am still taking the time to work out and haven't gone completely off track with my diet.  Have ran about 9 miles and just lifted some weights.  Good luck to everyone as they keep going into the warmer months.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

I will try to answer the questions asked, hopefully I don’t miss any. Back in January we joined a gym. You know typical New Years stuff. We were going to the gym 4 days. I am 265lbs. 6’4”, so I don’t look “overweight”, but I am. I am really looking for this to be a change for long term, and I really don’t want to watch the scale. After going to the gym for almost 3 months I feel better and stronger, but I just don’t see it. I stepped on the scale and boom, I had gained about 5 lbs. then the feeling of doubt enters and frustration sets in. I felt like I needed to change my “diet”, not go on a diet, just change how I eat,  track it better, also change up my workout routine. I would like to lose some weight, but I don’t have to lose 50 lbs to meet a goal. 

I am currently keeping track of my caloric intake, and I am doing more weight training. I am still doing some cardio, but adding the weight training instead of just doing more cardio. So I’ve found a workout routine that is for beginner training that I will do for a month or so, then I will move into an intermediate training program. I am really trying to do healthier things, but it really gets hard when you can’t see visible results. Doing something is better than doing nothing. I am going to keep at it, and one day I will see the results of the work I put in. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

1 hour ago, Kor.A.Door said:

I will try to answer the questions asked, hopefully I don’t miss any. Back in January we joined a gym. You know typical New Years stuff. We were going to the gym 4 days. I am 265lbs. 6’4”, so I don’t look “overweight”, but I am. I am really looking for this to be a change for long term, and I really don’t want to watch the scale. After going to the gym for almost 3 months I feel better and stronger, but I just don’t see it. I stepped on the scale and boom, I had gained about 5 lbs. then the feeling of doubt enters and frustration sets in. I felt like I needed to change my “diet”, not go on a diet, just change how I eat,  track it better, also change up my workout routine. I would like to lose some weight, but I don’t have to lose 50 lbs to meet a goal. 

I am currently keeping track of my caloric intake, and I am doing more weight training. I am still doing some cardio, but adding the weight training instead of just doing more cardio. So I’ve found a workout routine that is for beginner training that I will do for a month or so, then I will move into an intermediate training program. I am really trying to do healthier things, but it really gets hard when you can’t see visible results. Doing something is better than doing nothing. I am going to keep at it, and one day I will see the results of the work I put in. 

That’s great that you are tracking and weight lifting is good to help with the weight loss as it’s energy spent as is the cardio. 

Doing random weigh ins will give you inconsistent results because bodyweight can fluctuate 1-2% up or down from day to day. Weighing yourself every day first thing in the morning after using the bathroom and as close to the same time wearing the same thing and taking the average each week will show you really what’s going on. 

As was mentioned earlier unless you are in a caloric deficit you aren’t going to lose weight.  The key number to focus on is your TDEE. Whatever that number is will be your maintenance calories. Eating below that number will put you in a deficit. High protein intake will help with the fat loss and not going to low in fat (help keep hormones from going haywire). There are several algorithms to help determine your tdee, if not wanting to figure all that out using iifym.com macro calculator is probably the most accurate one around the webs. They also have a plan to help you on the path and iirc it’s about $100. There’s avatar nutrition and they charge $15/month and with weekly weigh ins will adjust your macros each week as necessary.

Another great resource is fat loss forever by Layne Norton.

the biggest way to make it a success long term is find the type of eating that fits your lifestyle, you can follow and stick to long term and once you reach your goal slowly work your way back to maintenance.

The bolded is why I hate the word diet. Diets fail because 1) they are too restrictive (think no carbs, clean food, etc) 2) there’s a goal weight to get to and it’s not always easy but then there’s no plan on how to keep the weight off (something I struggled with after my weight cut in 2016-2017) and therefore people gain it all back and many times more than they lost.
its a lifestyle choice and when done right keeping the weight off.  

Protein, fruits, veggies with some healthy carbs. Just be moderate, exercise some and you’re fine.

If you’re going to cheat, plan for it and do it with no regrets. You just hop right back on the healthy train with your next meal. I’ve been 165 since October.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

@Kor.A.Door my wife gained 15lbs (about 13% of her starting body weight) while training for a marathon. She ran and ran and ran and ate right and still gained weight. Then she had her blood tested and the doc found her thyroid was out of whack (hypothyroidism - meaning her thyroid wasn't working enough and it resulted in weight gain). She has to take a pill everyday to keep the thyroid in check, but the weight loss started up a few weeks into the medication and she got back to her normal weight. Sometimes if you eat right and put in the time and effort at the gym and something just doesn't add up, you might want to get some blood work to see if you possibly have something out of balance, like your thyroid. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

• 1 month later...

Logging al my food. Keeping it around 2020 cals a day.Walking more than riding. Some splurges but portion control when I splurge. Let myself get to 293 during winter thanks to empty nest and surgeries. 271 this morning with a goal of 260 by June 9th when I go to Zion hiking and golfing. Think I will be a few lbs shy. Longer goal is 225 with no real time frame. My prize to myself will be Hawaiian golf trip once I get 50 lbs off me which would be 243lbs. Hoping thats by late October but ..not sure if I will make that time frame. Ive been dropping a few bucks most days in the cookie jar for the trip. Basing that on not paying for carts or buying fast food. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

I'm bowing out of this thread just now, (cant even bow properly with my big gut), I'm fat shaming myself as I've put ON a stone since January🙄😡

I'll be back when there's (hopefully) less of me😢

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

@pulledabill a great job.

@perservinggolfer - hang in there - fitness is like golf. There’s always another round. Analyze why you struggled with the plan and reboot it.

I took my time and dropped 45lbs from last February to October. Since then I’ve had little trouble maintaining staying between 164-166. That’s what I weighed when I was married 35 years ago.

If I can do it anyone can - it’s just small changes. The only things that I’ve given up are cheezeits and seconds. I’ve learned to eat lots of great food that I would never have tried before, too.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I've been going a bit backwards myself and I'm not really sure why. I'll have to sit down and dig into what I've been doing or not doing and make corrections.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Weight has been consistent last couple weeks, 200-203. Since my shoulder operation in February I’ve been to the gym less and obviously no golf in 5 months.
So I’ve lost 10+ lbs in that time frame, so Golf is fattening? Don’t think so but the Social part of Golf has to be part of the problem.
4 years ago I was tipping the scale at a whopping 234, that’s 30+ lbs lost without going crazy dieting or crazy gym time. I’m going to continue with my eating moderately and up the gym time a little since my shoulder seems to be on the mend. I would like to mellow out at 185-190 this time next year.
We have an appointment with Orthopedic Doc next week and should get the OK for easy Exec golf!

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I've been a bit more stagnant in terms of weight the past 3 weeks or so.  I've continued to work out and get to the gym, but have not put in the effort on the diet that I really should be.  Not getting terrible, but allowing myself more indulgences.  Time to push forward again and drop the final 10 lbs.  Down around 28 lbs so far.

Good luck to everyone else and keep pushing!

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

It's funny, I was thinking about this thread last night (after I stepped off the scale). I've been reasonably stable  +/- 3 lbs. over the past 6 months - but I don't think I'm as fit as before. So more work ahead + cutting out the sugar - that's my downfall. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I'm up about 5 lbs., which wasn't terribly surprising given the amount of travel and eating out I have done over the last month. I struggle to control myself when I am eating out because I love good food that isn't necessarily good for me. I also haven't been to the gym since the travel started but have been getting a decent amount of exercise working in the yard when I'm not traveling. I'm ready to get back into the routine.

3 hours ago, Rickp said:

Weight has been consistent last couple weeks, 200-203. Since my shoulder operation in February I’ve been to the gym less and obviously no golf in 5 months.
So I’ve lost 10+ lbs in that time frame, so Golf is fattening? Don’t think so but the Social part of Golf has to be part of the problem.
4 years ago I was tipping the scale at a whopping 234, that’s 30+ lbs lost without going crazy dieting or crazy gym time. I’m going to continue with my eating moderately and up the gym time a little since my shoulder seems to be on the mend. I would like to mellow out at 185-190 this time next year.
We have an appointment with Orthopedic Doc next week and should get the OK for easy Exec golf!

As the social part at the course as been off limits to me in the way of food and beverage. Not drinking on the course or hanging out on the 19th either for food or drinks. My course has houses so getting offered beer and mixers is pretty common along the way. 

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Knowledge is power, and is mentioned above there is plenty of information, both accurate and misleading out there. If you are looking for inspiration let me recommend the book “Younger Next Year.” There are editions for both men and women. This book demonstrates what has also been mentioned above: if you want to be healthier and loose weight you don’t need a diet, which we all interpret as a temporary change, but rather need to change your lifestyle. 

So here is some sharing of my own story. From high school graduation to the age of sixty I followed Mark Twain’s advice: whenever I feel like the need to exercise I lay down until the feeling passes. Then one day I mowed our small backyard and discovered I had to sit down. I was completely spent. It took me 20 minutes to find enough energy to just go indoors. That was my epiphany, and it was frightening. I felt like I was hammering on death’s door.

I started with a trip to my doctor, and a simple blood test later I got a diagnosis of Type II diabetes. The seriousness of this disease is often underestimated. I won’t bore you with the details of it other than to say you either take care of the disease or the disease will take care of you. 

The upshot was at 5’ 6” and 225 lb I had dug myself a deep hole to climb out of, and I had done most of the digging with my mouth. BTW, I had done some yoyo dieting over the years and knew whatever “diet” change I was going to make would have to be permanent. I stumbled on the book referred to above and that gave me the courage to change both what and how much I ate and more importantly to actually darken a fitness centre’s door.

First, after a great deal of reading, including some medical Lorna’s dealing with diabetes my doctor provided, and doing some experimenting, my diet is based upon the Mediterranean diet model. This diet reflects the lifestyle of people surrounding the Med who generally tend to be leaner, a whole lot healthier and live longer than those of us on a North American style diet based on highly processed, high salt, high refined sugar, high carb diet.

Here’s a side note: in a recent study (sorry I can’t remember the exact medical journal that released the report) one control group of volunteers was fed highly processed foods and the other group was fed exactly the same amount of calories but from a whole foods, unprocessed meat, veg and fruit. Even though both groups got exactly the same calories the high processed food group put on weight while the other group lost weight. After two weeks the groups switched diets and the weight change followed the diet. The study found the highly processed food diet enhanced a hormone that causes the feeling of hunger and the whole foods diet enhanced a hormone that provides a feeling of being satiated.

Second, at the tender age of 60 I had to become a gym rat. My wife signed us up for a work out class at a local public fitness centre. Enter the instructor, Mad Mady the exercise dominatrix. 97 pounds, no apparent fat, 5 foot nothing tall, 2 years older than me and in that first class she drove my fat butt straight into the ground. Humiliating? You have no idea. Reminiscing with her about that first class a couple of weeks later I claimed I did 3 push-ups. “No,” she said, “you did 1, badly.”

It’s been a long journey. Now I weigh 145 pounds. I’m also 2 inches  shorter. Growing old - life’s greatest adventure. There were ups and downs on the weight loss journey. I really had to limit carbs to curb appetite. At my last weight loss plateau around 153 pounds I had to reduce portions slightly. I upped my protein on snacks and that is working. A little more than year ago I got hit by a car while in a cross walk. It was low speed so no broken bones but a lot of soft tissue damage including a torn Achilles’ tendon.  It still hasn’t healed. This has resulted in muscle atrophy on my right calf. Then I had a total right hip replacement this past December.

So here I am, a 66 year old diabetic asthmatic with a torn Achilles and metal hip and I still can’t come up with an excuse not to go to the gym, work out and maintain my lifestyle change. I started playing golf 5 years ago. My first round I lost 28 golf balls and scored 216 only because I wasn’t allowed to count every stroke. Last week I had my best round ever and shot a 100. My point: take your life seriously, because you don’t get a mulligan. Persevere and things will get better.

I have a pair of ASIC Gel 4 running shoes being delivered today and tomorrow morning I start Couch to 5K. I'll be doing that 3 days a week and the other 2 weekdays I'll be doing HIIT.

In the bag:
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Bag: 

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I've staying strong and currently bouncing around 270-272.  Kind of frustrating as I've been there for a week or so.  I will say that just in the last few days that my clothes feel a bit more lose and I picked up a notch on my belt it seems.  I was drinking a diet soda on most days, but I've only had 1 in the last 4 days.  Seeing of that changes the scale a bit.  I did go out last night and watch the Blazers lose.  I splurged a little but didn't go crazy or stuff myself.  

I think walking more on the course is probably adding some muscle which is why the weight loss is stagnant at this time.  I do think I am going to have to add more then just course walking to keep things heading south.  

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

1 hour ago, MattF said:

I have a pair of ASIC Gel 4 running shoes being delivered today and tomorrow morning I start Couch to 5K. I'll be doing that 3 days a week and the other 2 weekdays I'll be doing HIIT.

Awesome! Better be skinnier next time we play!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I’m not dead yet, been losing and gaining the same 3-4 lbs the last few months but I took the time to get stronger. My bench and deadlifts are higher than they’ve ever been. Also joined a 60 day challenge for some extra motivation and to change things up. Set a goal of 265 which is about 31lbs. 

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Second day of my running odyssey. Monday I thought I was going to have a stroke and today it downgraded to a heart attack!

So far, so good.

In the bag:

Bag: