Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Weight Loss Thread

MattF

I'm gonna try to keep this short. First....I've never been grossly over weight or obese. I'll be turning 50 in July 2020. On Thanksgiving morning of 2018, I hauled my ass to the gym and have done it 4-5 times per week all year. In just over a week from now, will be 1 year since "I" decided to change. This is the key point....I didn't decide to go on a diet....I didn't decide to try a new wonder pill.....I drug my butt out of bed and went to the gym. It was hard at first......but, started seeing results just inside of 60 days. Started at 212 lbs. Today, I weighed in at 192.4 lbs and down 2" in waist size. I have lost lots of fat and am up in muscle. My strength and flexibility is WAY better and I'm sleeping like a baby again. I haven't changed my diet all that much really.....just making better decisions. Staying away from bread as often as I can (But I friggin love bread). I honestly can't remember the last time I felt this good....would have to go back to my late 20's for sure. Coincidentally, my golf game is as good as it's been in a long time. Handicap has been trending down for several months. Started 2019 as a 12...as of today, I'm at 6.6. I attribute a lot of this to my weight loss and increase in flexibility. Lastly, I'd like to add that this has happened by lifting weights, not walking on a treadmill. I hate cardio and typically use a bike or elliptical 10-15 minutes (rigorous) a couple times per month. I get plenty heart rate elevation lifting.

Good luck to any and all who make an attempt improving your health!! It's a mindset....convince yourself your going to make a lifestyle change....not go on a diet!

:titleist-small: TSR2 - Ventus Red, 6X

:titleist-small: TSR2 3W - Ventus Red, 7X

:titleist-small: TSR2 5W - Ventus Red TR, 8X

:mizuno-small: JPX 223 Tour PW-7i/JPX 223 Forged 6i-4i - Nippon Modus 130X

:taylormade-small: MG3 - 50, 54, 58* -  Nippon Modus 130X

:scotty-small: Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura X5 

:titleist-small: Titleist Prov1

16 minutes ago, dalejbrass said:

I'm gonna try to keep this short. First....I've never been grossly over weight or obese. I'll be turning 50 in July 2020. On Thanksgiving morning of 2018, I hauled my ass to the gym and have done it 4-5 times per week all year. In just over a week from now, will be 1 year since "I" decided to change. This is the key point....I didn't decide to go on a diet....I didn't decide to try a new wonder pill.....I drug my butt out of bed and went to the gym. It was hard at first......but, started seeing results just inside of 60 days. Started at 212 lbs. Today, I weighed in at 192.4 lbs and down 2" in waist size. I have lost lots of fat and am up in muscle. My strength and flexibility is WAY better and I'm sleeping like a baby again. I haven't changed my diet all that much really.....just making better decisions. Staying away from bread as often as I can (But I friggin love bread). I honestly can't remember the last time I felt this good....would have to go back to my late 20's for sure. Coincidentally, my golf game is as good as it's been in a long time. Handicap has been trending down for several months. Started 2019 as a 12...as of today, I'm at 6.6. I attribute a lot of this to my weight loss and increase in flexibility. Lastly, I'd like to add that this has happened by lifting weights, not walking on a treadmill. I hate cardio and typically use a bike or elliptical 10-15 minutes (rigorous) a couple times per month. I get plenty heart rate elevation lifting.

Good luck to any and all who make an attempt improving your health!! It's a mindset....convince yourself your going to make a lifestyle change....not go on a diet!

Congrats on the improvements.  As you mention it’s really a lifestyle change and not a diet that will result in changes. Nutrition is key but those who approach as a diet tend to fail because it’s unsustainable. I’m a firm believer in for flexible dieting and macro counting. 

unless you have some sort of allergy or health condition that is affected by eating bread I say enjoy it and just account for it in your daily calories. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

16 hours ago, dalejbrass said:

I don’t know what impressed me more: loosing 20 pounds or taking 6 strokes off your handicap 👏👏👏👏👏

I am also in the lifestyle works diets fail camp on this topic.

Well done 👍

On 11/16/2019 at 7:33 AM, Pug said:

I don’t know what impressed me more: loosing 20 pounds or taking 6 strokes off your handicap 👏👏👏👏👏

I am also in the lifestyle works diets fail camp on this topic.

Well done 👍

LOL. Thank you sir. Yeah....sounds like a lot. Truth is....I’m just now getting back to where I once was at a 6 handicap. I had hip replacement surgery 8/16....so, didn’t play much golf for about a 3 year period. Fast forward several years and I now live on the 18th green of a country club and have my own cart.....which equates to lots of practice time. The weight loss and the strength gain has equated to better move through the ball and my ball striking is pretty crisp right now.

So I had a bit of a back slide - got up to 168 (which was my target weight when I started my program.). I’ve hit it hard the last couple of weeks and am now back under 166. I’d like to get it under 165. That’s where I was living most of last year.

Remember that summer in Florida is like winter for most of you. It’s tough to stay active. Now it’s beautiful and the activity level has gone way up.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I don't know, Rev.

People grow.

I boxed as a welterweight in novice class, middleweight in open class, and light-heavyweight as a club pro.

[This was a million years ago, of course.]

Now, anything under 240 is doing really well from my perspective.

Otherwise, I have to give up bread, pasta, potatoes, pastry, and Guinness for a while.

You're too hard on yourself!

"Atomic Habits," by James Clear.  Subtitled "Tiny Changes, Remarkable Results," and "An easy and Proven Way to Build Good Habits and Break Bad ones."

I first became aware of the book "Atomic Habits" through golf websites.  It was recommended by a several instructors/writers because of it's application to improvement in golf.  (Google "atomic habits golf" to find the different articles.)

I then started seeing references to the book on weight loss sites and fitness sites.  (Google "atomic habits weight loss", "atomic habits diet", and "atomic habits fitness.")  

I finally downloaded and read the book.  I highly recommend it.  

It is not a golf book, or diet book or fitness guide.  It looks at habits--those things we do during the day without really thinking about them.   It helped me recognize all sorts of things I was doing out of habit, what triggered the habitual response and best of all, how to change the bad habit into good.  Small changes, but changes that lead to big changes.  

I recommend the book, for golf and for weight loss.  

On 11/26/2019 at 12:47 PM, NiftyNiblick said:

I don't know, Rev.

People grow.

I boxed as a welterweight in novice class, middleweight in open class, and light-heavyweight as a club pro.

Otherwise, I have to give up bread, pasta, potatoes, pastry, and Guinness for a while.

Give up Guinness? That’s a putt too far for me. The first 4 on your list, no problem, but giving up Guinness? I doubt if life would be worth living...

On 11/17/2019 at 7:29 PM, dalejbrass said:

LOL. Thank you sir. Yeah....sounds like a lot. Truth is....I’m just now getting back to where I once was at a 6 handicap. I had hip replacement surgery 8/16....so, didn’t play much golf for about a 3 year period. Fast forward several years and I now live on the 18th green of a country club and have my own cart.....which equates to lots of practice time. The weight loss and the strength gain has equated to better move through the ball and my ball striking is pretty crisp right now.

I can relate to the reduction in your playing time - I also had a hip replaced  on 6 Dec 2018. The surgery didn’t go well and I am still using a cane. Tough getting a decent cardio workout when you can’t walk unassisted. I lost about 35 yards off of drives and fairways became erratically elusive. I am working on getting it back. Good for you for persevering. I intend to do the same.

2 hours ago, Pug said:

Give up Guinness? That’s a putt too far for me. The first 4 on your list, no problem, but giving up Guinness? I doubt if life would be worth living...

Guinness is good for you!

https://www.thedailymeal.com/healthy-eating/guinness-healthier-your-light-beer

On 11/26/2019 at 2:30 PM, alfriday101 said:

"Atomic Habits," by James Clear.  Subtitled "Tiny Changes, Remarkable Results," and "An easy and Proven Way to Build Good Habits and Break Bad ones."

I first became aware of the book "Atomic Habits" through golf websites.  It was recommended by a several instructors/writers because of it's application to improvement in golf.  (Google "atomic habits golf" to find the different articles.)

I then started seeing references to the book on weight loss sites and fitness sites.  (Google "atomic habits weight loss", "atomic habits diet", and "atomic habits fitness.")  

I finally downloaded and read the book.  I highly recommend it.  

It is not a golf book, or diet book or fitness guide.  It looks at habits--those things we do during the day without really thinking about them.   It helped me recognize all sorts of things I was doing out of habit, what triggered the habitual response and best of all, how to change the bad habit into good.  Small changes, but changes that lead to big changes.  

I recommend the book, for golf and for weight loss.  

I am going to read this, and thanks for the recommendation. Modifying my own behaviour has been the biggest challenge in trying to change my life style. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/27/2019 at 3:59 PM, Pug said:

I can relate to the reduction in your playing time - I also had a hip replaced  on 6 Dec 2018. The surgery didn’t go well and I am still using a cane. Tough getting a decent cardio workout when you can’t walk unassisted. I lost about 35 yards off of drives and fairways became erratically elusive. I am working on getting it back. Good for you for persevering. I intend to do the same.

Pug - just now seeing this. Sorry to hear your surgery didn't go well man. Post or Anterior? My "big miss" was that I didn't do enough research prior to the surgery and picking a surgeon who does "Anterior". Lots of trauma on the muscles Post.

Anyway, hope you get better soon. Do you have a stretching program? Stretching helped me tremendously. I did a session with Golfstretch in Scottsdale while visiting family.......they have several great stretch/strengthening programs specifically designed for hip replacement folks. 

Edited by dalejbrass

I don't know, Rev.
People grow.

I was OK with everything until you got to Guinness

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I lost just shy of 20 lbs post-surgery! I really didn’t need to lose it, but it’s gone.... For now! Definitely not a way I’d recommend for losing weight though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I lost just shy of 20 lbs post-surgery! I really didn’t need to lose it, but it’s gone.... For now! Definitely not a way I’d recommend for losing weight though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WOW that’s a lot. I lot 12# with my shoulder surgery last year but have put 5 back on.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Thanks for the sympathy Dalejbrass. As it happens I did do the research,  and had an anterior surgery, but the stem misaligned when it was inserted into the femur. The result was that it had to be removed but when it couldn’t be extracted my surgeon held a consultation with another surgeon it was decided to cut the greater trochanter from the femur. This worked, but then the procedure regarding the stem has to be done again including reaming out more marrow, selecting aligning and inserting an even longer stem as part of what is now a revision surgery. What should have taken 45 minutes to an hour wound up stretching over 3+ hours. At least I was comfortable while I got to listen to all of this was going on. The joy of only using a spinal block for an anaesthetic meant I was awake for much of it.

As for stretching, as an ardent gym rat stretching forms a routine but important part of my workout. I continue to modify and bring on new stretches to keep it fresh. Some of what I do are straight yoga poses, such as baby pose which I always do after push ups and blanks, but others are directly from my physio therapist and osteo therapist. I mentioned elsewhere that I also use the stretching routine recommended by the Super Speedstix as part of their warmup. If that’s not enough, I took a tip from another MGS thread on fitness and ordered a book on stretching for golfers! It arrives this Thursday and I will be very interested in seeing what more I can learn that is going to help. I am determined to walk the course again, and in closing I just want to say how impressed I am with the MGS community. 

Back to the grind. Carbs are killing me, I think. I've put on at least 5 lbs so I'm going to start really watching my carb intake and maybe change breakfast up a bit, less garbanzo beans at lunch and easy on the potatoes, bread, pasta and rice at dinner.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Back to the grind. Carbs are killing me, I think. I've put on at least 5 lbs so I'm going to start really watching my carb intake and maybe change breakfast up a bit, less garbanzo beans at lunch and easy on the potatoes, bread, pasta and rice at dinner.

How’s the finger? Healing OK?

Rick

Left Hand, 

4 hours ago, Rickp said:

How’s the finger? Healing OK?

It's looking really good but is still a bit tender. I may go out to a range on Monday and have a hit with the new 3 wood. 

In the bag:
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Bag: 

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Now that everything in my life has died down 🤞🏾 I plan to get my on the wagon and lose the weight I put on stressing about surgery and from being injuried. I hope to be back where i was this summer by may and then surpass that by the time summer is in full swing

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Today is the day I start really looking at my carb intake and changing things up a bit. We'll see where this road leads.

In the bag:

Bag: 

2 hours ago, MattF said:

Today is the day I start really looking at my carb intake and changing things up a bit. We'll see where this road leads.

Carbs aren’t evil just like fat isnt.  Weight loss is nothing more than calories in vs calories out. Unless an allergy to gluten or some medical condition there is no need to eliminate carbs or certain types of food.

between exercise and food consumption you just need to be below your tdee. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Carbs aren’t evil just like fat isnt.  Weight loss is nothing more than calories in vs calories out. Unless an allergy to gluten or some medical condition there is no need to eliminate carbs or certain types of food.

between exercise and food consumption you just need to be below your tdee. 

I know and I'm not going the keto route, just lowering my intake of refined carbs...bread, sugar, pasta etc. I spoke to my Doctor about it last week at my annual physical and he's on board.

In the bag:

Bag: 

I know and I'm not going the keto route, just lowering my intake of refined carbs...bread, sugar, pasta etc. I spoke to my Doctor about it last week at my annual physical and he's on board.

Yup the refined stuff is not good. Also it's interesting how much sugar there is in everything. Sugar is one of the triggers for my wife's migraines so she avoids it like the plague - but tough to do.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Holidays almost done, the Aussies will be leaving end of week. I have not been a very good boy. Gained 20 lbs over this time. At my age, lbs don't just fall off. Will have to put some serious time into the gym and diet.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

20 hours ago, kardboard.kid said:

Gained 20 lbs over this time.

What were you eating?? Sausage rolls and pies diet? 😁

In the bag:

Bag: 

What were you eating?? Sausage rolls and pies diet?

Sounds like Golden Corral

Rick

Left Hand, 

What were you eating?? Sausage rolls and pies diet?

Must have been a competitive eating and drinking holiday

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Must have been a competitive eating and drinking holiday

Trying to give my extended family every American holiday food, treat,pie, booze..... I of course had to lead the way. We use a lot more fat in our cooking. Yeah, 'Merica

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

On 12/31/2019 at 1:36 PM, kardboard.kid said:

Holidays almost done, the Aussies will be leaving end of week. I have not been a very good boy. Gained 20 lbs over this time. At my age, lbs don't just fall off. Will have to put some serious time into the gym and diet.

I feel your pain and I can relate. It’s called the All Santa Diet: beer, burgers, beer, fries, beer, pizza, beer, donuts, beer, chips, beer, nachos, beer, stuffing, beer, cranberry sauce, beer, sweet potato pie, beer, muffins, beer, cake, beer, chocolates, beer, ice cream, beer, fruit cake, and if you get thirsty, have a beer! Personally I only gained 8 pounds from Dec 23 to Jan 2, but I will drop that by 14 Jan. I have found turning a keg into a six pack happens in the kitchen, not in the gym.