excourse

Thriver?

I love being called young. Like several others I was unfamiliar with the term.

I used to be a huge advocate of driver only but my New Years mantra is go with what works for you - that and the fact that I have a 3 wood that I'm killing off the tee .... for now

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 4

Never heard that before. Interesting

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Same here - never heard of it.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Many of the originals were homemade adaptations. I've had a few myself. I believe the first company to market one was Perfect Club, brought to us all by the velvety voiced Peter Kessler on the famous Golf Channel ads. They had an 11* 370cc driver on a 42 1/2" shaft. I bought one back then, and it performed as advertised. Pipeline straight and about 15 yea shorter then a standard driver.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I’ve been playing an Acer Thriver Mini Driver for about a year.  The Thriver replaced my Ping G 10.5 Driver.  I hit the 13 degree Thriver further than the the Ping G, further than my Ping Anser Driver and further from the deck than my old Sonartech 14 degree 3 wood.  I hit about 85% of the  fairways and rarely hit a big hook or a big slice.  The only other wood I carry now is a Tour Edge Exotics XJ1 17 degree.  At 71, I still carry a single digit index and can attribute much of that success to the fact that I am hitting from the fairway or short rough 95% of the holes that I play, thanks mainly to the Thriver and TE XJ1.

Posted (edited)

There was a lengthy and active "Thriver" thread on the old Golf Review forum a few years back.  An English poster whose user name I don't immediately recall--it may have been Edgy or something like that-- was highly positive about the concept and it caught on, at least for a bit.

I play the TLess driver myself because I hate to hit up on the ball, playing it too far left, with a conventional driver. 

With a driver especially weighted to be swung like a fairway wood, I find mishits substantially reduced.  The shorter shaft and extra loft do promote accuracy at a small expense in distance.  I can still hit the driver a good way--230 yards give or take a few--and that's a long way to keep the ball straight. 

Consequently, a thriver / driving-iron two-club combo serves me much better than a conventional driver would.  235 into the jungle doesn't do anybody any good, right?

Edited by JuniperRocker
  • Like 2

On 1/1/2018 at 9:02 AM, MattF said:

Here's Hireko's: https://www.hirekogolf.com/golf-components/clubheads/golf-drivers/acer-xv-ultimate-thriver-clubhead.html

I'm sure they came up with the term well before the OEM's got onto the mini driver.

I could be wrong, but I think they got the term from the old FGI forum way back in the early 2000's.  I remember people building SMT and Bang Thrivers.  I remember guys taking the SMT Nemesis (370cc or 405cc) and getting 12, 13, or higher lofted heads and building them as Thrivers.  Bang had some larger headed 3 woods as well that a few guys did the same with.  

The idea was simple.  Get a larger driver sized head, increase the loft, shorten the shaft and have a guaranteed fairway finder for tight holes.  

• Like 2