TESTERS WANTED! ×

Cobra Golf

skeeter33

I have a question and would love some input, especially from Tony or Adam. Several sites including this one has applauded Cobra's product over the last 4 years. I loved the F7 line and still play the woods and hybrids. However, I never see any of its products in other bags on the course. And I play a lot of golf at home and on the road. On occasion I'll see something from the BioCell or AMP line. My question is, why don't I see more. Doesn't make sense because they made some damn good equipment. Is it lack of marketing, lack of reps? Do do demo days? I'm scratching my head.

I think the lack of green grass support is a big problem for Cobra. I don't see them in pro shops, having demo days, sponsoring local section events or club pros on staff. They feel like a big box brand only these days. If I asked my club pro who his Cobra rep is I promise he would have to look it up. But has a personal relationship w Cally, TM and Titleist

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

I gave my Bio Cell irons and woods to a buddy, so I see them every week. I currently bag a Bio Cell 2-3 Hybrid, F6 3 Wood and F6 Baffler(4-5 Wood). I have a Cobra King Ltd in the closet as it wont beat the Wilson Triton. I also have Cobra F6 irons in the closet as backup to my Hogan Ptx irons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Cobra has a very small tour presence. They have Rickie and a few others, but the names playing Cobra aren't there. We move a lot of Cobra stuff because it fits well with a lot of golfers. Once you get it in people's hands, the Cobra stuff really shines. We have a great relationship with our Cobra rep as well. He is always helpful and very visible in the shop.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

Love my Cobra Fly-Z+ driver and hybrids.  Can't believe more players don't get on board.  In my group the new Cobra gear does not get that much attention but new stuff from other brands is well received.   

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

The Fly Z got me hooked on them. Yeah they're non-existent here at green grass accounts and demo days. However, I got them invited to my club's demo day in '18. Really want to demo the wedges. Always wondered if lack of demo days is the reason. We have two golf stores, Golf Headquarters (great selection of Cobra gear) and Golf Galaxy (only saw irons last time I walked through. This GG should just close IMO). Always thought that demo days support golf store sales.

How much tour presence do you need and what's the RIO for a company. You need some but how much to really impact sales. Sure it provides validation for the consumer but how much weight does it have at the time of purchase.

It's all Ricky Fowler's fault!

Seriously most people buy what they see the most - on tour and advertised.

It's why OEMs spend so much on advertising - it works.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Agree with above - I had a X speed driver i played for years and currently bag a fly -z wood set at 16.5 and it just jumps! It seems they've had trouble converting to a true players club maybe? But it's one that works well for a lot if they'd learn to be humble.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Interesting this popped up this morning. I've got an eBay bid right now (expiring in another 20 minutes) on a new Fly-Z+ and I'm watching pricing on a King F7 on Global Golf. GG keeps running a sale on the F7. Up one day down the next. I've never bagged a Cobra driver but with all my research and reading about the clubs; mostly here on MGS i've convinced myself that I should give one a try.

BTW - if anyone has a "pristine" FZ+ or F7 for sale I'd be interested in discussing it.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I have a question and would love some input, especially from Tony or Adam. Several sites including this one has applauded Cobra's product over the last 4 years. I loved the F7 line and still play the woods and hybrids. However, I never see any of its products in other bags on the course. And I play a lot of golf at home and on the road. On occasion I'll see something from the BioCell or AMP line. My question is, why don't I see more. Doesn't make sense because they made some damn good equipment. Is it lack of marketing, lack of reps? Do do demo days? I'm scratching my head.

Around here = Long Island, NY on public courses, I do occasionally see a few Baffler hybrids and once in a while a set of Bio Cell or Amp irons.

I got a set of King OS irons last year and am pretty happy with them; got my wife a ladies Amp (pink! .. of course..) driver a few seasons ago and she's still liking and gaming that.

But why aren't they bigger? .. possibly does have to do with things like.. a general poor perception of the brand* and less visible marketing vs their competitors and less visits in-store by sales reps...?

* Poor perception on the part of the buying public and big box store personnel - two Winters ago I tried out a number of different irons; different brands, different models. One place I went was a PGA Tour Superstore (they have everything) and while chatting with one of the fitting bay reps I distinctly recall him saying, "Oh Cobra irons? Nah, they're not that great."

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I didn't win my "offer" for the New Fly-Z+. But I did just just purchased another identical one that is "Used - like new" for less $. The seller claims "you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference from new". We'll see. Doesn't come with a headcover (don't care), or the tool (don't care). Should have by Wed. or Thurs. next week.

With all the adjustability of the FZ+ I should be able to dial in it. All depends on the shaft though. It's a stock Matrix VLCT ST 65g stiff which will be 7g heavier than the Fujikura Speeder 57 I have in my SLDR. The ST designation on the Matrix shaft denotes a stiffer tip section = lower launch. Honestly, I'm probably more suited to a shaft that would promote a higher launch and or even a R-flex of some flavor. Several years ago my fitter checked my SLDR shaft and said it's somewhat between what might be considered a Stiff and a Regular. A Stigular? Ha. Whatever. All I know is the shaft in my SLDR works great for me. Perhaps I end up putting it in the FZ+?

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

Interesting question.  They no doubt make quality equipment.  But I think it goes to a couple things.  Outside of Rickie Fowler, they don't have any presence on the PGA Tour so to speak.  And honestly, more people associate him with Puma and ProV1 probably than Cobra.   I would think the "average" joe golf fan going into a store to buy clubs for the first time in 10 years, doesn't know Cobra is owned by Puma.  so they may not make the connection.

Dechambeau might help if he can have a solid year or two and pick up a few more wins, or at least get a good amount of TV time.  The One length concept is new to the casual golfer but the more he is out there succeeding with it, can only help Cobra.   Kinda surprised no other company came out with a line of them in 2018 (that we've seen yet).  But I understand it's a huge investment in R&D and the ROI is a big unknown risk right now.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I apologize for yapping about my Cobra purchase and not making a comment about this post topic. Well, I suppose I somewhat agree with what others have already said. I do however remember many years ago Cobra drivers were all the rage and everyone wanted one that didn't already play them. This was probably more in the days when metal drivers were sort of still new on the scene I recall. And... Greg Norman was on top of the tour in his prime.

I believe Cobra is every bit as technology advanced as the next guy's driver. Perhaps even more some years. Their pricing is lower than most too. Again probably due to less of a marketing presence/expense. I mean it seems that everytime I open a website or a magazine there's Epic in my face. Personally and from many observations on the course I'm not seeing the performance (15 more yards) that Callaway is promoting. I play regularly with guys that purchased an Epic of some flavor. Nice clubs and I like the looks and sound of them but never hit one. There have been several times when in my foursome 3 guys are playing an Epic and I'm playing my old SLDR and not losing any distance to them on average. I just don't think they gained really anything with the club. Will I gain anything with the Fly-Z+ I just bought? I'm not really expecting it honestly. I just want to try something different and tinker around with it I suppose. Maybe try a new shaft or two. Bottom line is I just like the club. Remember, a few years ago (2015 Most wanted Driver) MGS ranked the Cobra Fly-Z and Fly-Z+ first and third place respectively. 

So, I guess I'll drop my two cents in here. I play the F7 One Length irons through my whole bag and I absolutely love them. Now, the reason I think you don't see so much Cobra on the course is because of the sales efforts of the big box stores. When I worked at Dicks for our Cobra stuff, we had one display with one side full of woods and maybe a couple iron sets. Compare that to the stores that pay for space like Callaway and TM and you can understand why Cobra is falling behind.

You add to that the bias that people selling your equipment in those stores have. Most have deals either with companies or buy things through discount pricing and that colors how they tell you how things perform. Instead of trying to get everything into your hands and having you make the choice, they point you in other directions to make higher margins, win a sales contest or make quota for their free stuff.

Also, as others have said, it's also he lack of visibility on tour. The three biggest Cobra stars are Rickie, Bryson, and Lexi. Problem is, not many people watch the LPGA and people dismiss Bryson out of hand because of perception and his weirdness, so you really only have Rickie.

It is an unfair setup, but one of the truths of golf is that sometimes what you see is reality, even if it isn't.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

My cobra wedges are amazing. Leaps and bounds better than my TaylorMadez. Fit and finish, performance, price...

Here's how I look at it you can get a good look at a butcher...

It's like car brands. You see the big ones every day, multiple times. Smaller brands are the ones that you turn your head and do a double take, and say what was that.

I have Cobra Driver, 3 wood, 5 wood and a 6 hybrid.  All irons & wedges are Cleveland though.

:cobra-small: Max Superlite 9.5* Driver   :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 10.5* Driver    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 16* 3 Wood    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 19* 5 Wood

:taylormade-small: Mid Rescue - 2, 3, 4, & 5 Hybrids     :taylormade-small: M2 - 6 Hybrid

:cleveland-small: 588 Altitude 7-PW    :cleveland-small: Tour Action 588 52* Gap wedge   :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 58* San wedge

:cleveland-small: Frontline Elvado Single Bend 33" putter (testing)                   

:MLA: Target Adixion 33" putter

:titelist-small:  Velocity Golf Balls

I didn't win my "offer" for the New Fly-Z+. But I did just just purchased another identical one that is "Used - like new" for less $. The seller claims "you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference from new". We'll see. Doesn't come with a headcover (don't care), or the tool (don't care). Should have by Wed. or Thurs. next week.

With all the adjustability of the FZ+ I should be able to dial in it. All depends on the shaft though. It's a stock Matrix VLCT ST 65g stiff which will be 7g heavier than the Fujikura Speeder 57 I have in my SLDR. The ST designation on the Matrix shaft denotes a stiffer tip section = lower launch. Honestly, I'm probably more suited to a shaft that would promote a higher launch and or even a R-flex of some flavor. Several years ago my fitter checked my SLDR shaft and said it's somewhat between what might be considered a Stiff and a Regular. A Stigular? Ha. Whatever. All I know is the shaft in my SLDR works great for me. Perhaps I end up putting it in the FZ+?

Proper shaft makes all the difference 🏌️

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

We belong to a club here in central Illinois. I know there is a lot of cobra items in people's bags. My wife has the F7 driver.

That said the club can get just about anything but promotes Titleist and Taylormade the hardest.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

Interesting at our club (Ohio) it's Ping and Cobra.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Around here = Long Island, NY on public courses, I do occasionally see a few Baffler hybrids and once in a while a set of Bio Cell or Amp irons.

I got a set of King OS irons last year and am pretty happy with them; got my wife a ladies Amp (pink! .. of course..) driver a few seasons ago and she's still liking and gaming that.

But why aren't they bigger? .. possibly does have to do with things like.. a general poor perception of the brand* and less visible marketing vs their competitors and less visits in-store by sales reps...?

* Poor perception on the part of the buying public and big box store personnel - two Winters ago I tried out a number of different irons; different brands, different models. One place I went was a PGA Tour Superstore (they have everything) and while chatting with one of the fitting bay reps I distinctly recall him saying, "Oh Cobra irons? Nah, they're not that great."

I've always been able to tell you who's our rep for Callaway, Titleist, Ping, Srixon/Cleveland, Mizuno and even the rep of the month for TM but no idea who reps Cobra. Honestly, MGS turned me on to them.

They seems to have a fair-sized presence out here in Sacramento, they host a few demo days at the more popular courses, and I've gotten to know the local rep, he hooked me up with a contact for my F7 hybrid and has given us great deals on shirts for a charity tourney. 

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

Zero Cobra stuff at our club. Mostly Titleist and a little bit of Cleveland (wedges and putters). All of their equipment AI have used has been solid though.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

MacGregor guys work for cobra now?

attachicon.gifIMG_2491.JPG

Sent from a Galaxy Far...Far...Away...

Wow, that's pretty amazing similarity. Those Kings are pretty damn sexy. Look even more awesome when you strip the orange and they are all black...... just like the McGregors

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

Have always had great luck with Cobra woods.

Can't find anything to kick them out of the top of the bag.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

Wow, that's pretty amazing similarity. Those Kings are pretty damn sexy. Look even more awesome when you strip the orange and they are all black...... just like the McGregors

I like the chrome ones that are stripped. With the PÅ«R Wedges... dang clean.

Hopefully the 2018 MB's come with the PÅ«R finish. Patiently waiting to see what they do.

On another note I've been looking at older equipment. The Greg Norman Cobra's in-fact... why could they build CB's in the late 80's and early 90's with pretty much the same geometry of the blades?

Sent from a Galaxy Far...Far...Away...

Well, I'm a little biased right now as I'm gaming a full Cobra bag courtesy of the Cobra Connect Challenge and I love them!

I think the lack of tour presence combined with the lack of green grass presence and lack of knowledge in the big box stores are hurting them. When I went for my fitting I had to call 5-6 places to find somebody that did Cobra fittings....and I'm in Houston! Just imagine trying to find one in a small town!

Their clubs are as good as any of the other major OEMs, but they don't have the same buyer awareness as Callaway, TM, Ping or Titleist

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson