• Hideki Matsuyama
    • Justin Rose
    • Rickie Fowler
    • Brooks Koepka
    • Henrik Stenson
    • Rory Mcilroy
    • Tiger Woods
    • Other

I would say that Spieth had an off day putting yesterday, and he is at the bottom of the leaderboard. However, having played Kapalua, that course will embarrass even the best of putters, especially if it's windy.

Maybe, I just don't put much stock in these events. I don't think most players are as prepared as they will be in April. Regardless, anytime the wind does a 180 degree flip from anything seen in 8 years, it's gonna be tough, even for Spieth. But has anybody been as consistent on the greens over the past 3 years?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

I'm with RTracymog on this one. I think the ball strikers have a better shot at #1 than the good putters. Out of the top 15, how many of them are "bad" ball strikers? Koepka is the lowest ranked player SG tee to green last year at 58th in the OWGR top 15 and I consider him a very good ball striker.

On the other hand, "bad" putters in the OWGR top 15 include(SGputting): Pual Casey(75), DJ(81), Rose(123), Rory(140), Sergio(168), and Hideki(173).

Most of the OWGR top 15 range anywhere from 35-55 in SG putting while all are pretty solid ball strikers. In fact the only ones who were in the top 35 in putting were Rickie(2) and Koepka(12).

Wow! That's eye opening. I've never looked at it that way. Great research, I'd give you more likes if I could.

• Like 2

Maybe, I just don't put much stock in these events. I don't think most players are as prepared as they will be in April. Regardless, anytime the wind does a 180 degree flip from anything seen in 8 years, it's gonna be tough, even for Spieth. But has anybody been as consistent on the greens over the past 3 years?

I think Day has actually been the most consistent over the past few years, along with Luke Donald. Spieth's putting gets a little overblown because he makes so many 15-30 footers. It makes it seem like he makes "everything." 

At the same point his ball striking is very underrated. His iron play last season was unreal. 

• Like 3

I think Day has actually been the most consistent over the past few years, along with Luke Donald. Spieth's putting gets a little overblown a little because he makes so many 15-30 footers. It makes it seem like he makes "everything." 

At the same point his ball striking is very underrated. His iron play last season was unreal. 

A very good friend of mine is going to be on Lukes bag for 2018.  So I hope they have a good year!!

• Like 3

I think Day has actually been the most consistent over the past few years, along with Luke Donald. Spieth's putting gets a little overblown because he makes so many 15-30 footers. It makes it seem like he makes "everything."

I agree his ball striking is underrated. But if he makes a 15-30 footer per 9 over the course of a four day tournament, he's gaining strokes on the field. Nobody else is even close to that. That's an advantage regardless of who you are.

I also think Spieth is remarkable at rising to the occasion. With the exception of the back 9 at the 2016 Masters, he tends to play his best in the biggest spots. That's a hell of an attribute to possess.

• Like 3

The kid in me wishes Tiger would go on a tear and win like 5 times to shoot up there but I don't think that would even get him close. I truly believe it is between DJ and JT... Day and Speith will be not be there. My sleeper pick is Tommy Fleetwood guy has such a solid swing

• Like 2

I agree his ball striking is underrated. But if he makes a 15-30 footer per 9 over the course of a four day tournament, he's gaining strokes on the field. Nobody else is even close to that. That's an advantage regardless of who you are.

I also think Spieth is remarkable at rising to the occasion. With the exception of the back 9 at the 2016 Masters, he tends to play his best in the biggest spots. That's a hell of an attribute to possess.

No argument here with the clutch gene. Spieth certainly has it. I just feel that most people (not saying you), tend to overrate his putter and underrate the rest of his game.

Back to his putting. Yes, he gains strokes on the field with 15-30 footers. But he actually loses strokes to the field inside 10 feet. Spieth's putting inside 10 feet is actually well below average on tour. Which is why his overall strokes gained putting is not as good as people thinks it is. 

Spieth's strokes gained putting by year:

2017- 42nd (Jday 39th)

2016- 2nd (to JDay)

2015- 9th (Jday 6th)

2014- 20th (Jday 29)

2013- 60th (Jday 30th)

Edit: upon looking at stats, its really Luke Donald that is the most consistent. His putting is so stupid good. Starting in 2009 his SG putting has been 1st, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 13th, 7th, 39th, 67th, 3rd and 14th. That is unreal. 

• Like 1

No argument here with the clutch gene. Spieth certainly has it. I just feel that most people (not saying you), tend to overrate his putter and underrate the rest of his game.

Back to his putting. Yes, he gains strokes on the field with 15-30 footers. But he actually loses strokes to the field inside 10 feet. Spieth's putting inside 10 feet is actually well below average on tour. Which is why his overall strokes gained putting is not as good as people thinks it is.

Spieth's strokes gained putting by year:

2017- 42nd (Jday 39th)

2016- 2nd (to JDay)

2015- 9th (Jday 6th)

2014- 20th (Jday 29)

2013- 60th (Jday 30th)

Edit: upon looking at stats, its really Luke Donald that is the most consistent. His putting is so stupid good. Starting in 2009 his SG putting has been 1st, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 13th, 7th, 39th, 67th, 3rd and 14th. That is unreal.

I can't begin to tell you how often I hear guys at my club say something similar to “ if Spieth putted like so and so, he couldn't beat me”. The sad fact is, they believe what they're saying.

It's remarkable how underrated his overall game is!

• Like 3

Re-evaluated my prediction after this weekend.

DJ will be a major champ this year, and hold the #1 spot when it is all said and done.

• Like 4

DJ will be a major champ this year, and hold the #1 spot when it is all said and done.

As owner of the poll, I'm allowed to change my vote as well...correct?

DJ with the "Not so fast boys, I currently hold No. 1 and have no plans on giving it up" type performance yesterday!!

• Like 3

As owner of the poll, I'm allowed to change my vote as well...correct?

DJ with the "Not so fast boys, I currently hold No. 1 and have no plans on giving it up" type performance yesterday!!

Free country as far as I know. Change your mind as much as you'd like!

• Like 3

I see nothing that would make me want to disagree. He's just so damned good. I won't change my pick but I honestly should. DJ is hard to beat if he is playing well. 

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure DJ will remain #1. But, I'll add I think Ricky will move up in the top 5. Feeling a good year for that guy.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I think I'm with you in this. When he's ON his game like this week no one will beat him.

• Like 2

I think he one thing that can really hurt the longer hitters as the year goes along, it affects everyone really, and that is consistency off the tee, when you hit the ball a long way, and your swing is off just a bit, the ball goes off line a lot. It seems that everyone has a lull in the middle of the year, whoever is #1 at the end of the year will be the one who stays fairly consistent in the middle part of the year.

• Like 3

Does Patrick Reed join the conversation? Maybe. After his Masters win he's arrived.

• Like 1

I'm thinking Jordan Spieth and I'm basing it on his Master's performance.  If he continues to putt well and his iron game stays healthy, he'll be winning a few this year including a major. 

• Like 3

Does Patrick Reed join the conversation? Maybe. After his Masters win he's arrived.

Too far out to get to number 1 I do think he cracks the top 5 and makes his comments about being a top 5 player come true.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2