Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Twist Face, Hammerhead, and the Rest of the @TaylorMadeGolf M3 & M4 Driver Story

JAGolfore

Read this story on the blog this morning. I am very interested in this new technology to see if it actually improves your accuracy and by how much.

The article states golfers will get “A TANGIBLE COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE.”

How is this legal? And if it's true the most golfers might try and pick one up.

I know I'll hit them this Feb at my fitting and find out for myself.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

Yep, I've been interested in this technology since first hearing about it a month or so ago.  I am anxious to try it out myself when I'm at the PGA Show.   I didn't realize however that the Cobra F8 basically had the same technology just not as touted.  

Right now the top  drivers on my list to try for 2018 are, in no particular order.

TMAG M3/M4

PING G400

Cobra F8/F8+

Callaway Rogue

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Drivers aren't big in my wheelhouse if interest, but isn't it the goal of every manufacturer to come up with something that will provide a competitive advantage? Not sure why you are questioning legality.

If we were to look at putters, Adam Beach tells us that evnroll and ping grooves provide a competitive advantage.

As long as the clubs fall into the specified criteria for legality there shouldn't be an issue. I'll probably try the new driver, but based on my interpretation of the article the technology is already out there or may not provide as much benefit as Taylormade is trying to get us to believe.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Drivers aren't big in my wheelhouse if interest, but isn't it the goal of every manufacturer to come up with something that will provide a competitive advantage? Not sure why you are questioning legality.

If we were to look at putters, Adam Beach tells us that evnroll and ping grooves provide a competitive advantage.

As long as the clubs fall into the specified criteria for legality there shouldn't be an issue. I'll probably try the new driver, but based on my interpretation of the article the technology is already out there or may not provide as much benefit as Taylormade is trying to get us to believe.

I agree the idea is to create that competitive advantage. But I feel we are starting to take some of the skill out of the game. Now the USGA must not feel like this is the case. And until we get this out and hit it and get real numbers we will not know.

If the grooves really worked I think we would see ping and evnroll on tour. I personally have not tried either one after the spider. But that's another topic.

If this works with drivers it's a game changer. 2 or 3 more fairways a round would be better for me than 5-6 yards.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

Be interesting to track Total Driving stats on the PGA your this year. If this twist face helps accuracy as much as it claims, then DJ, Rory, Day, and Rahm should be at or near the top of total driving because they should be more accurate off the tee. To give you a frame of reference, Rahm finished 28th, DJ 33, Rory t56, and Day t106

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

I added a comment at the end of the blog post but I'm adding it here too...cause I want to give my feedback.  :D

It's like they looked around at what everyone else was doing, took a little of this and a little of that, created a driver head and put on some flashy paint and had the marketing department come up with some catchy terms … (sidenote: how is BMW allowing this? do they not own the copyright to “M3”? )

Lets see… Cobra has this face thing…let's do that but we'll call it ours and say it's “new”.
Ping has these turbulator things…let's do that too…cause BMW M3 cars go fast.
Callaway… ugh… those bastards… AH!, got it… let's take those stupid Jailbreak bars, turn them on their side and call them HAMMERHEAD!…. everyone loves sharks and they're really powerful.

It's hard..I get it..there's only so much you can do, but don't feed us a line of BS….call it what it is; as the saying goes: “imitation is the sincerest form of flattery”

Brilliant…what will they think of next.

BTW – do they really think that pricing it at 499 instead of 500 will work? …. seriously… 500 dollars for a driver?
== that's straight up insanity ==

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

...btw... this is one of the best points in the article...

Toe shots will start farther to the right and heel shots farther to the left than with conventional bulge and roll. That's fine on the driving range, but if your fairways aren't straight, or you've got trees or other trouble on the left or right, that little bit of extra push might do more harm than good.

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

Be interesting to track Total Driving stats on the PGA your this year. If this twist face helps accuracy as much as it claims, then DJ, Rory, Day, and Rahm should be at or near the top of total driving because they should be more accurate off the tee. To give you a frame of reference, Rahm finished 28th, DJ 33, Rory t56, and Day t106

I don't think you would see any difference, The tech doesn't work for on-center or near-center hits. If a pro is hitting it that off center (where ams hit it) he is not getting paid that week and his swing is so off there would be a lot of factors at play in their accuracy.

Selling a driver is about telling a story because COR is maxed out by USGA regulations. There are no more distance gains. Jailbreak was a really good story and I think the graphics TM has put together look good, but as MGS stated, accuracy doesn't sell drivers.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

I don't think you would see any difference, The tech doesn't work for on-center or near-center hits. If a pro is hitting it that off center (where ams hit it) he is not getting paid that week and his swing is so off there would be a lot of factors at play in their accuracy.

Selling a driver is about telling a story because COR is maxed out by USGA regulations. There are no more distance gains. Jailbreak was a really good story and I think the graphics TM has put together look good, but as MGS stated, accuracy doesn't sell drivers.

Was going to post the same thing about the pros. However, I think distance for amateurs can be improved by making off center hits less penal.

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

The true test will be bunch of us wild hookers and slicers get our hands on some twist face tech. That's when the shat will hit the fan

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

The twist face technology aside...

How is the Hammerhead technology any different than the Active Recoil Channel in titleist or the Speed slot technology that has already been put out by TM, Adams and others?  Just wondering if anyone had insight.  Thanks!

:callaway-small:  Epic Flash SZ 9o w/ Ventus 6X

:callaway-small:  Rogue 4wd w/ ATMOS Red 7X

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20o w/ ATMOS Blue 7S tipped 1"

:mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour 4i - PW (standard lofts) Rifle

:titelist-small:  SM6 51o, 59o, SM7 55o   

:titelist-small:  2019 ProV1x

:tp-mills-1: Custom Ming

Was going to post the same thing about the pros. However, I think distance for amateurs can be improved by making off center hits less penal.

Yes, I agree completely. On-center can't be improved, but off-center can and would be so valuable for ams.

But a couple quotes from the article below mean that this tech is part of telling the story and not at all a breakthrough for ams.

"In its actual implementation, Twist Face is imperceptible (chemclub says negligible), and while that's not to say it doesn't matter, let's not pretend that something like Twist Face hasn't been done a time or two before."

"Twist Face has existed in a competitors' lineup for the better part of a decade"

This all reminds of the story behind cup-faced irons

one more thing about this "accuracy" claim...this was briefly mentioned in the article...and it is important

Finally, don't lose track of the fact that Twist Face is all about toe and heel mishits. It won't help you on center or near center impact where the face just happens to be pointed in an undesirable direction.

They're almost hoping you won't make center face contact and will continually mishit.

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

They're almost hoping you won't make center face contact and will continually mishit.

This is really what happens with most amateurs. They buy clubs that try and correct their flaws instead of trying to fix the flaw.

Sorry, I just dont understand this "twistface" and how it works. Feel like TM is going Bombtech on us

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

My inside sources at TM tell me that next year they are going to have yet another technological breakthrough...this time it's the shaft design. The shaft will have a 'bulge' near the grip to promote tangible distance gains and launch height. It's a revolutionary design that's never been used**. The 'new' technology will be called the spheroid shaft. 

** - Technology that hasn't been used in the last 5 years is allowed to be recycled because most people won't know it's really the bubble shaft since it will have a new name. See 'Hammerhead' technology which was present in the Adams XTD driver. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

Not for nothing - it appears Mark Crossfield has joined MyGolfSpy on TaylorMade's "Naughty List"....

19 minutes of PURE GOLD!!!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Thanks Barbs!!!  I saw a post on his YouTube or FB page about this, can't remember which one.  I think he questioned if his Titleist deal was the driving force behind this, I replied, I doubted it as they had refused to take part in the MGS Most wanted as well.     I'll have  to watch this video when I have the time.   

But I can't believe some of the comments that were directed at him, saying there is no way he can be objective now having signed with Titleist.  I think he addressed that head on in his initial post about the deal.  But some will always believe what they want to believe.  And that goes for many things in life!

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Not for nothing - it appears Mark Crossfield has joined MyGolfSpy on TaylorMade's "Naughty List"....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhyENf52hZE&feature=youtu.be

19 minutes of PURE GOLD!!!

Great vid...love how Mark doesn't hide anything and tells it like it is.

I barely get the rationale behind not wanting to give Mark product to test. It's a petty and childish reason which is indefensible......but why MGS? They have no exclusive deal with anyone. I'm sure it's out there but what did I miss?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

Here's all you need to know. From now on and with your "old face technology" driver you're sunk out in the rough!  Play the new TM pretzel-logic driver and your living in the mow baby. You got it?

M3M4_TrajectoryChart-BUG_v1_OnLight-02-e1514667852694.png

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Here's all you need to know. From now on and with your "old face technology" driver you're sunk out in the rough!  Play the new TM pretzel-logic driver and your living in the mow baby. You got it?

attachicon.gifM3M4_TrajectoryChart-BUG_v1_OnLight-02-e1514667852694.png

Like I said, that is a pretty effective graphic to tell the story with.

The real question we should be asking TM. How come you knew about this heel-toe diagonal strike pattern all this time and haven't addressed it until now?

Great vid...love how Mark doesn't hide anything and tells it like it is.

I barely get the rationale behind not wanting to give Mark product to test. It's a petty and childish reason which is indefensible......but why MGS? They have no exclusive deal with anyone. I'm sure it's out there but what did I miss?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Long story - had an on-again/off-again relationship before my time. It was on-again until some of Tony's great investigative work on the potential sale - they called MyGolfSpy "perpetually misinformed," which, of course, we weren't. I think our two-part series on the demise of TaylorMade may have put the cap on "irreconcilable differences."

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

The one thing I don't like about the driver is the move away from white. I assume they change colors so TM and people who buy it can signal that they have the newest driver (like Apple did with the gold and eventually the rose colored iPhones).

I just always loved the white and give TM a lot of credit for doing it.

Long story - had an on-again/off-again relationship before my time. It was on-again until some of Tony's great investigative work on the potential sale - they called MyGolfSpy "perpetually misinformed," which, of course, we weren't. I think our two-part series on the demise of TaylorMade may have put the cap on "irreconcilable differences."

I really enjoyed that 2-parter. One of the more memorable pieces on MGS. A good one to go out on I guess.

Apparently Sergio is not impressed .. saw that he's signed with Callaway.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Wondering out loud - I know TM haven't been overly generous in the past with giving out demo great, but maybe they're undergoing some serious cost-cutting now .. having been acquired by a private equity firm..?

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I've had  twist face with my driver since I started playing.

After a perfect drive
IMG_0885.JPG

After a poorly struck drive that ends up ok
IMG_0886.JPG

And finally, after an awful swing, the full twist face
IMG_0887.JPG

Occassionally after a full twist face I've wanted to take a hammer to my head.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Rick Shiels hit some with each driver and he's all OVER the place with them! No more accurate than anything else he's hit this year, and definitely NOT longer.

He'll do a “real” review later. This was just a “first hit”.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

All I see with it is blah blah blah, busllshit, it's new but not really, blah blah blah, that'll be $500 thanks.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Archived