Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Sergio, others, question....

PMookie

Ok, so Sergio has signed a 14 club deal with Callaway. Many others are changing right now as well, so this begs the question:

If the Pro performs better/worse after the change, are the clubs, or new sponsorship, the cause?

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

My thought is that the clubs are fitted to the player and that club changes don't really impact their play. Hopefully the player has tested them to ensure performance is comparable to prior clubs. I think ball changes probably have the most impact on how a player performs. In my opinion failures anyplace else would be associated with a lack of confidence if perceived improvements are not immediately seen by the player.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Ok, so Sergio has signed a 14 club deal with Callaway. Many others are changing right now as well, so this begs the question:

If the Pro performs better/worse after the change, are the clubs, or new sponsorship, the cause?

Thoughts?

For Sergio, probably. He had a break through win at Augusta in 2017, so he has to be pumped for 2018. If he plays awful, it might be the clubs. Clubs really do make a huge difference. If I remember correctly, something like 6 out of the top 10 most improved drivers on Tour switched to TaylorMade last year. That seemed to be mostly due to the equipment. Obviously, Sergio tested the Callaway lineup before signing, so I think we're definitely going to see him up there on the leaderboard more this coming year.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

I feel the ball has more to do with their play. They will get fit and specs will be right on. But the ball and confidence could be the difference maker. I know each ball performs similar but it takes time to get use to the feel and that with either increase confidence or decrease it based on the feed back.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

I feel the ball has more to do with their play. They will get fit and specs will be right on. But the ball and confidence could be the difference maker. I know each ball performs similar but it takes time to get use to the feel and that with either increase confidence or decrease it based on the feed back.

Yes, confidence is an enormous part of it...

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

I think this is the case as well, and if you read the post by the new member who got to caddie for Rory as part of a Military Charity fundraiser, Rory said this exact thing regarding the newer ProV and TP5X

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I still think that if you pay these guys enough money, they'll bag your equipment.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

My thought is that the clubs are fitted to the player and that club changes don't really impact their play. Hopefully the player has tested them to ensure performance is comparable to prior clubs. I think ball changes probably have the most impact on how a player performs. In my opinion failures anyplace else would be associated with a lack of confidence if perceived improvements are not immediately seen by the player.

I'm going to disagree on the ball. I think you give any of these pros a good ball and they can play and win with any of them on any given day. In fact I believe they could certainly play their best golf with Snell, Vice, and even an MG. But like all things at the Pro level. They're getting paid (or it's free) to play balls, clubs, clothes, shoes, etc, etc.

People always like to talk about pros as if they have some 6th sense us lowly amatures don't have. Like they can feel things in an iron or ball that we just can't. Horse$hit. What is a fact is they just strike the ball better than we do. Regularly. Consistently. 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I think there is a “breaking in” period with new clubs. Some of the best in the world have struggled after switching equipment. Rory, Tiger, it usually only takes a few tournaments, but it does seem that they struggle a bit.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I'm going to disagree on the ball. I think you give any of these pros a good ball and they can play and win with any of them on any given day. In fact I believe they could certainly play their best golf with Snell, Vice, and even an MG. But like all things at the Pro level. They're getting paid (or it's free) to play balls, clubs, clothes, shoes, etc, etc.

People always like to talk about pros as if they have some 6th sense us lowly amatures don't have. Like they can feel things in an iron or ball that we just can't. Horse$hit. What is a fact is they just strike the ball better than we do. Regularly. Consistently.

I will disagree. Each ball will spin different. For me the Pro V1 Works the best. I've played many others. The Snell MTB linger off the tee. Did not spin around the greens the way I like. The Srixon tour ball felt a little firmer. I just think this is one variable that is not easily adjusted.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

I will disagree. Each ball will spin different. For me the Pro V1 Works the best. I've played many others. The Snell MTB linger off the tee. Did not spin around the greens the way I like. The Srixon tour ball felt a little firmer. I just think this is one variable that is not easily adjusted.

Belay that 'Belay that' ...  Yes they spin different, and certain balls will feel/work better for different players.  OK, the MTB didn't spin around the green the way you like, but if you had the next two months to play with it, I think you would learn to play it just fine.  I am certainly no pro, but even I can play well (for me) with just about any ball.  I like the PV1 really well; just not well enough to pay for it when other balls like the Snell are cheaper.  I can handle the differences around the green, so I'm pretty sure the pros can learn to do the same, and much faster than I can.

I think there is a “breaking in” period with new clubs. Some of the best in the world have struggled after switching equipment. Rory, Tiger, it usually only takes a few tournaments, but it does seem that they struggle a bit.

I agree that there is a breaking in period.  I suspect how long it takes varies with the pro.  Yes, they are fitted, but the clubs don't feel the same.  A local pro here once told me that it took him about a week to get used to a new driver that was sent to him.  He hated to get new irons because they could take months.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Equipment differences are negligible at the tour pro level. These guys can play great on anything and they have every resource in the world to dial in their equipment. The only area it seems like there might be a significant strokes gained/lost is with the putter if one company has good tech and another makes pretty wall hangers.  ;)

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

Archived