jlukes

Mark Crossfield Signs Club Deal with Titleist

Mark Crossfield announced that for 2018 he will be playing a full Titleist bag of clubs and Titleist ball.

He claims that this will have no impact on his club reviews.

In related news, he now has a a video up about TaylorMade and their refusal to send him any review equipment due to the his Titleist deal.

Crossfield field TaylorMade is acting childish and they should send him review gear regardless of his sponsorships and continues to explain that his deal with Titleist will not have any impact on him giving neutral club reviews.

Very interesting stuff.

• Like 5

Yeah. I touched on this with my thoughts in the M3/M4 thread with the video posters.

Maybe I'm naive, but I see and believe Crossfields take. That said, from what I've seen on other golf forums and SM, TM has taken this stance with several outlets and is picking and choosing who they work with.

• Like 3

I'm a fan of his reviews because they seem to be unbiased for the most part. Of course, we'll have to see how the Titleist deal changes that, but I don't think it will. I certainly expect a lot of "Titleist my clubs brah" in his vlogs moving forward, but I enjoy the banter between him and his golfing buddies.

• Like 3

So you're telling me that his reviews will be unbiased, and he will still continue to receive money from Titleist? The moment he says anything negative about titleist, or the moment he says that another manufacturer is better, you really think Titleist is t going to pull their “sponsorship. That's funny. I am not surprised in the least that TM isn't sending him anything. That would be like getting paid from your company, but then sending folks to your competitor to actually make a purchase. How long will you keep your job.

• Like 2

Depends how lucrative of a deal he signed with Titleist. He's a YouTube content creator first and foremost, it's not like he's Speith out there on tour with a full bag. In the long run I think he would have more success on YouTube than with Titleist, so to jeopardize his YT career for a Titleist deal would be a bad move for him IMO. So, if you're asking me if I think he put a clause in his Titleist contract like he says he did, yes I believe it.

• Like 2

So you're telling me that his reviews will be unbiased, and he will still continue to receive money from Titleist? The moment he says anything negative about titleist, or the moment he says that another manufacturer is better, you really think Titleist is t going to pull their “sponsorship. That's funny. I am not surprised in the least that TM isn't sending him anything. That would be like getting paid from your company, but then sending folks to your competitor to actually make a purchase. How long will you keep your job.

If you watch his announcement video, he said Titlieist told him, to keep being himself and true to what he does. To me that speaks or a company that is confident in its product but also realizes pretty much all equipment is good. He's not likely to run across anything that is "rubbish". So they get their product displayed and talked about a bit more perhaps. But don't put any demands on what he can and can't say about any equipment.

Again maybe I'm just a big dumb naive fool. But I generally have a pretty good BS detector and it's not beeping here.

• Like 3

My two cents here, and I say this as a fan of Mark, his channel, and his content, so consider that however you wish.

Of you watch the whole 19 minutes of the video he posted he makes some very solid points. He discusses his Titleist deal, the different opportunities it may afford him and the security to make better content and invest in his brand as a channel because of the money a sponsorship affords him.

Near the middle end of the video he States his goal is and has always been simple, better info and data for the public, with a message that basically comes down to "Get fit, take lessons, and consider the clubs that work best for you, because they are all good."

It also appears that Mark is angry about all the hoops that TM made him jump through and the lack of communication from TM about stuff. Go look at Tony's post about the big "scandal" of golf and you'll see alot of similarities of Tony dealing with some companies and what Mark said he dealt with as well.

At the end of the day though, Mark will test TM, much in the same way this site tests TM, by buying himself or by going to Dan's fitting studio and testing.

So, really what's the takeaway from all of this? Well, in my opinion it's that Mark will continue to review clubs as he always has. He's going to be playing mostly Titleist clubs in the vlogs, and we may see some more Titleist guys in vlogs, maybe like Beef, Spieth, JT, more social media savvy guys. Nothing to really get up in arms about.

• Like 4

I feel that both sides are being a little childish about this.

According to his video, Crossfield's contract with Titleist enables him to continue testing out equipment from all manufacturers in an "honest" manner. Whilst I'm not the biggest fan of Crossfield's current content (way too much Rory, but I digress), he has always given an honest review on golf equipment. And that is why I feel Taylormade are being a little childish - no other big company (e.g. Callaway) has complained about Crossfield's contract, so why should TM?

But, on the other hand, Crossfield's being a bit childish with this situation because he is making a mountain out of a molehill with this incident. At worst, he could borrow the relevant TM gear from a nearby pro shop or something, similar to what us amateur golfers have to do anyway!!

On a sidenote, this incident has sparked intense debate on the Facebook golfing forums, as well as one of my mates (who has a mostly TM set-up) who was quite defensive of TM's actions.

• Like 3

I think both Crossfield and Titleist have come up trumps, just about every golfing online medium has some form fo discussion about this which can only be advertising for both of them. There is even another UK Vlogger taking the mick out of them on youtube.

Every review he does has the same message, decide what you like and get fit for it. If he suddenly starts saying brand X is a pile of rubbish, then people can accuse him of selling out. But that wouldn't be a positive for him and his channel nor Titleist. I'm looking forward to seeing what if any changes this partnership will bring, but I doubt his reviews will change.

Believe Mark was on Titleist's staff at one time. Prior to Mizuno. Prior to what he's become on YT. Have to give him the benefit of the doubt. He's always been objective...and his average driver carry is always 262.

The whole debate strikes me as very childish. TM might have a strict policy of "no free test if you're under contract with another club manufacturer", that would make sense but they could send and ask for a return of the clubs after 5 days or something (but maybe they did, we only know what Crossfield is saying... ). On the other hand he can pretend to be unbiased, even to himself, but is that really the case? Only time will tell. Plus if you get money from a certain company can you really complain not to get freebies from their competitors? And complain just on the day, in a tedious rant lasting for 19 minutes? Well obviously you can but just as obviously you can then say bye bye to any favour/free stuff/easy access to info from said company.

Then again comes the problem of the "tests". Mark is funny, albeit mildly irritating, in his course vlogs, has interesting takes on instruction or the swing, but reviews? Really? He says he tests stuff and this and that but really he just hits a number of shots which, R&A and USGA being what they are, will always be similar, then say it looks "as good as anything" and feels "as good as anything". Then he'll go on the course and show that indeed it's the Indian, but the arrow. Great. He might as well not test anything and make a generic video with a "insert the name of the product here" and for irons "insert the lofts there" and be done.

And if he really is so unbiased and independent and wanting to inform golfers he should have tested stuff from Inesis, Hireko, KZG, Maltby or others... Not that I care much because the message is "test, get fitted, take a lesson" and I'm did with that.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

The whole debate strikes me as very childish. TM might have a strict policy of "no free test if you're under contract with another club manufacturer", that would make sense but they could send and ask for a return of the clubs after 5 days or something (but maybe they did, we only know what Crossfield is saying... ). On the other hand he can pretend to be unbiased, even to himself, but is that really the case? Only time will tell. Plus if you get money from a certain company can you really complain not to get freebies from their competitors? And complain just on the day, in a tedious rant lasting for 19 minutes? Well obviously you can but just as obviously you can then say bye bye to any favour/free stuff/easy access to info from said company.

Then again comes the problem of the "tests". Mark is funny, albeit mildly irritating, in his course vlogs, has interesting takes on instruction or the swing, but reviews? Really? He says he tests stuff and this and that but really he just hits a number of shots which, R&A and USGA being what they are, will always be similar, then say it looks "as good as anything" and feels "as good as anything". Then he'll go on the course and show that indeed it's the Indian, but the arrow. Great. He might as well not test anything and make a generic video with a "insert the name of the product here" and for irons "insert the lofts there" and be done.

And if he really is so unbiased and independent and wanting to inform golfers he should have tested stuff from Inesis, Hireko, KZG, Maltby or others... Not that I care much because the message is "test, get fitted, take a lesson" and I'm did with that.

I completely agree with you there Franc38 - Crossfield is quite annoying, and I've been struggling to watch any of his content as he is VERY opinionated (particularly for someone who is supposedly unbiased!!) on certain things. I just wish he would stop putting Rory in his vlogs - he's just as irritating!!

• Like 2

I'm sure everyone would like everyone to test everything under the sun, but brands like those you mention are smaller, probably can't send product, and may not be readily available in England as they are in other spots in the world

he is VERY opinionated (particularly for someone who is supposedly unbiased!!)

Having opinions on things doesn't lead to having bias against other things. That's a dangerous correlation in my view.

Of the big name YouTube golf channels, Crossfield is my favorite. Though I've never seen him run down a golf product, time and time again he's said especially with today's USGA limits there are a lot of good clubs and it's not possible for one to be markedly better than another. He's also said time and time again that fixing your swing will do FAR more for your results than any equipment change ever could. The channels that do comparisons and show one driver with 1-3 yards more carry aren't doing anyone any favors, some don't even account for obvious variation in strikes. And the ones making dispersion conclusions are in very uncertain waters, Crossfield has said left to right dispersion is almost entirely the Indian, not the arrow, and I'd agree.

They all have endorsement deals, they have to make a living and putting out those videos is way more work and expense than people who haven't done it realize, though I can understand why signing with a clubmaker is another kettle of fish than apparel, etc. I fully understand why folks can't believe he can be unbiased, but I will give Crossfield the benefit of the doubt until he proves otherwise. In his recent video re: TM, at the end he shows driver heads from Callaway, Titleist, TM and Ping as says they're all good, all basically the same, as he always has.

I admire Titleist for their vision, though this may be an experiment on their part. At least they're pushing the marketing envelope, a good thing IMO.

I was a fan of TM, but no more, and their marketing lately has put them further down on my list. But we all have our own biases and reasons, all good.

• Like 1

Crossfield is a whiny baby. Get over it and get the clubs like others have to - pay for them and sell them when you're done.

TM is in their full right to not send free stuff to people. When you consider the low number of people who actually watch this stuff, it's a fair decision to not spend the money here.

There are around 115.000 golfers in Norway. One of the smallest nations in golf. Crossfield has 233k+ subscribers and 20-30k views on videos? Let's not make him and others on YT a bigger deal than they are. Golf Digest and MGS in the USA (with worldwide reach). Golf Monthly in UK. National magazines in Scandinavia. Traditional media has a strong position among golfers in Europe.

Norwegians call this "a storm in a glass of water". 

For what it's worth - Acushnet/Titleist marketing, attitude and behaviour is below par. TM is doing a better job. A lot better.

• Like 3

TM made a choice. Big deal! Dude's got money and can buy the products for review... I'm glad Crossfield shared the info so we can see the inner workings, but all of this really doesn't matter in the grand scheme. TM has been doing this, and will continue to, and Crissfield needs to get over himself and just move-on. Sometimes I think folks think they're more important than they really are. It's golf clubs. It's TM. It's NOT surprising!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Of the big name YouTube golf channels, Crossfield is my favorite. Though I've never seen him run down a golf product, time and time again he's said especially with today's USGA limits there are a lot of good clubs and it's not possible for one to be markedly better than another. He's also said time and time again that fixing your swing will do FAR more for your results than any equipment change ever could. The channels that do comparisons and show one driver with 1-3 yards more carry aren't doing anyone any favors, some don't even account for obvious variation in strikes. And the ones making dispersion conclusions are in very uncertain waters, Crossfield has said left to right dispersion is almost entirely the Indian, not the arrow, and I'd agree.

They all have endorsement deals, they have to make a living and putting out those videos is way more work and expense than people who haven't done it realize, though I can understand why signing with a clubmaker is another kettle of fish than apparel, etc. I fully understand why folks can't believe he can be unbiased, but I will give Crossfield the benefit of the doubt until he proves otherwise. In his recent video re: TM, at the end he shows driver heads from Callaway, Titleist, TM and Ping as says they're all good, all basically the same, as he always has.

I admire Titleist for their vision, though this may be an experiment on their part. At least they're pushing the marketing envelope, a good thing IMO.

I was a fan of TM, but no more, and their marketing lately has put them further down on my list. But we all have our own biases and reasons, all good.

I agree with your general point that all clubs are generally comparable and that they only differ in having a slightly different mix of the same ingredients...

But then, why complain about not being able to test a certain club? Why make it "about giving info to my viewers" when we (Mark Crossfield included) know full well in advance what the "results" will be? Except for the subjective elements, feel, sound, looks, which he always judges as "as good as anything"...