Regional Combined Introduction Threads Read more... ×
Spy Chat: The Hall of Fame for MGS Read more... ×
Golfspy_CG2

MGS Forum and Site Beginnings.

"Plus a massive contest to keep it from being a ghost town on launch day, actually launch month.  That contest was insane."

Now that was a good time. Posting and making threads while my son had a birthday party in the park. What year was that? How long ago?

Hey kids, get off my damn lawn!

• Like 8

Interesting comment from Adam about the lack of need for heavy-handed moderators: I don't have the time I would like to spend here, but just assumed I have missed some sparring/meltdowns that required intervention. If not, that is a great testament to the self-policing. Kudos to all involved! I have been a part of two complete forum meltdowns in the mid 2000's that never recovered to the best of my knowledge.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

At that is the basics of how this started.

Thanks for the details and I am glad to have had an opportunity to be part of the community and the tester group.

• Like 4

"Plus a massive contest to keep it from being a ghost town on launch day, actually launch month.  That contest was insane."

Now that was a good time. Posting and making threads while my son had a birthday party in the park. What year was that? How long ago?

Hey kids, get off my damn lawn!

I am not sure, but it seems to me I may have recalled seeing something about this crazy contest, as much as I am online with golf stuff and if it was done during 2010 when it appears most members joined, I was very active at the time on WRX, so I may have just not been looking much.  Would love to hear any more about it that you wanted to share.   On just how crazy it was and it what it involved. 

Interesting comment from Adam about the lack of need for heavy-handed moderators: I don't have the time I would like to spend here, but just assumed I have missed some sparring/meltdowns that required intervention. If not, that is a great testament to the self-policing. Kudos to all involved! I have been a part of two complete forum meltdowns in the mid 2000's that never recovered to the best of my knowledge.

In my 18 months here, I've yet to see ONE instance of anything out of line.   And I'm on here pretty frequently.  Well except for when I think it was DLK tried to get Shankster to change his name..that was entertaining for a day or two, but both moved on from it without any permanent scars, i believe  :D

• Like 6

I seem to remember a few issues that popped up just about the time I joined.  Not sure what happened, but I do remember that things were handled very professionally and I haven't seen anything but friendly bantering since.  Kudos to the site mods.

• Like 6

Basically that is how it started.  Plus a massive contest to keep it from being a ghost town on launch day, actually launch month.  That contest was insane.  I never want to do that again, but it needed to be done to create the community we have now, so I did it. At that is the basics of how this started.  

Thanks Adam for the insight.  That's quite a journey and no doubt you are a dream chaser.  The good thing is we are lucky to have found MGS and enjoy what you and your staff have built.  As for the forum, there's no doubt (in my mind) it will grow for all the right reasons and the best one is searching for the truth. 

• Like 7

I am not sure, but it seems to me I may have recalled seeing something about this crazy contest, as much as I am online with golf stuff and if it was done during 2010 when it appears most members joined, I was very active at the time on WRX, so I may have just not been looking much.  Would love to hear any more about it that you wanted to share.   On just how crazy it was and it what it involved. 

Basically, it was a contest for the most posts in the month of March, 2010. There were a few of us who went for it full bore. I may be the only one of that initial group still around. Maybe Nic (MmBuddy). Prizes were spectacular. Full bags of gear from multiple manufacturers. I was the overall winner, but it took basically 24/7 forum attention.

I remember the keyboard rage in thinking that "I agree" posts should not count toward the total. :D

• Like 9

Basically, it was a contest for the most posts in the month of March, 2010. There were a few of us who went for it full bore. I may be the only one of that initial group still around. Maybe Nic (MmBuddy). Prizes were spectacular. Full bags of gear from multiple manufacturers. I was the overall winner, but it took basically 24/7 forum attention.

I remember the keyboard rage in thinking that "I agree" posts should not count toward the total. :D

So I take it you agreed with a lot of opinions that month?

What was your winning number? I'm gonna guess it took at least 1000

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

OK, that is sounding very familiar to me, I think somehow I may have stumbled on it or seen something about it and then saw what it was going to take--as Adam said it best--sleep is for wussies, and knowing I wouldn't have a chance. So I never joined or pursued it.   My mistake!!

So I take it you agreed with a lot of opinions that month?

What was your winning number? I'm gonna guess it took at least 1000

Oh, I'm thinking you're way low, somehow I'm going to guess it was something closer to 10,000 maybe over 300 posts a day.   i could be completely off track here.  But it was a crazy number. 

Oh, I'm thinking you're way low, somehow I'm going to guess it was something closer to 10,000 maybe over 300 posts a day. i could be completely off track here. But it was a crazy number.

Were the post counts reset after the contest? Dave is only at 6600 total.

• Like 3

OK, that is sounding very familiar to me, I think somehow I may have stumbled on it or seen something about it and then saw what it was going to take--as Adam said it best--sleep is for wussies, and knowing I wouldn't have a chance. So I never joined or pursued it.   My mistake!!

Oh, I'm thinking you're way low, somehow I'm going to guess it was something closer to 10,000 maybe over 300 posts a day.   i could be completely off track here.  But it was a crazy number. 

Ok, My fingers got a bit ahead of my brain there.  It couldn't possibly have been that high as we know that Rev is the top poster for all time and he's at 8,000.  so I was a bit over enthusiastic...ha  Dang, maybe I should have entered, I would have had a chance. 

• Like 2

Were the post counts reset after the contest? Dave is only at 6600 total.

yeah, see my above post.   I'm a dope.  I just did some digging and found some old threads.   it also involved referrals.  But monthly prizes seemed pretty cool.  

• Like 1

From what I can tell, it appears Adam (GolfSpy_X) started things in the summer of 2009. Then several guys including Foz, Barbs and others joined in the Spring of 2010.

So how did it get started? Did you early guys know each other from other endeavors and joined at once ?

I'm curios and sure some others are as well to the origins of it all!

I was hanging around “The Sand Trap” and “Golf Hackers” when I came across My Golf Spy. Liking what I saw, I decided that MGS was my group of guys & gals so decided to spend my Free time there. Not knowing anyone, I just started sharing and got to know some members. For years, I would welcome all the newcomers. But lately there have been more than I could keep up with. As long as I am able, this will be my Golf home. I donate annually and provide equipment reviews when I am called upon to do so.

Rev and I get together a couple times a year to play. I am always trying to get others I play with to join.

I retired a year ago (Jan 2017) and seem to have less time than before to post. Here's to the next 7 years...

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 7

I was hanging around “The Sand Trap” and “Golf Hackers” when I came across My Golf Spy. Liking what I saw, I decided that MGS was my group of guys & gals so decided to spend my Free time there. Not knowing anyone, I just started sharing and got to know some members. For years, I would welcome all the newcomers. But lately there have been more than I could keep up with. As long as I am able, this will be my Golf home. I donate annually and provide equipment reviews when I am called upon to do so.

Rev and I get together a couple times a year to play. I am always trying to get others I play with to join.

I retired a year ago (Jan 2017) and seem to have less time than before to post. Here's to the next 7 years...

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Great, thanks for posting that Foz.  Was really pretty simple, looking for a better forum and found it!!  Kinda the same here. I dragged along a couple of long time internet and real live buddies in MDGolfHacker and Wahoo with me and I OG and I had struck up a common bond about 3 years ago when I went through double knee replacement and he was my go to expert as he had done it a few years prior.  I really enjoy the bond that we develop with new friends and old  ones alike here at MGS!

I know what you mean  about the new members, I try to do it as well and I know  I miss many due to the frequency, especially around the time new testing opportunities are posted.

• Like 6

I came here pretty early on too I think. Not exactly sure when. There were some pretty good “arguments” on here at times, not a lot of them, but there were a couple that got pretty heated and never got let go, I think one of the main guys stepped in at some point and just shut it down, but that was years ago, we haven't had anything like that in a very long time which is good. Usually we just have to agree to disagree and let it go.

• Like 4

I tried to bump the thread for the launch contest but it's locked. Anyway, here it is for those interested in some history:

HUGE CONTEST - "Biggest Golf Forum Launch Contest Ever!"

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/index.php?/topic/82-HUGE-CONTEST---%22Biggest-Golf-Forum-Launch-Contest-Ever%21%22

Sent from #throwbackthursday?

• Like 3

I tried to bump the thread for the launch contest but it's locked. Anyway, here it is for those interested in some history:

HUGE CONTEST - "Biggest Golf Forum Launch Contest Ever!"

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/index.php?/topic/82-HUGE-CONTEST---%22Biggest-Golf-Forum-Launch-Contest-Ever%21%22

Sent from #throwbackthursday?

Thanks buddy as that is so cool!  I joined my first golf forum (THP) in December of 2008 and how I missed the MGS kick off is beyond me.  Although I made tons of friends over there (THP), I would have jumped in this contest with both feet kicking!

• Like 2

Really cool to hear the story from the ground up.

X, I envy your personal drive. I have a lot of fantastic ideas floating around in my head, but the drive to make them a reality is something that I admittedly lack

• Like 3