TESTERS WANTED! ×

Wilson C300

bens197

I have no idea why but I have not been as excited for a product launch as I am for the C300 forged and driver this year. I have always been someone who found something and stuck with it. I went from 962B's in college and a year as an apprentice, played 670's for two more years and have been playing i5 PINGs since 2006 (the PING irons were the best option for me after visiting Scottsdale to become a club fitter). I am a 4.8 who gets maybe 6-10 rounds in a year, I wanted to upgrade and when I saw the C300 forged offering something just caught my eye.

I am accepting the fact that even though styles like the JPX900 Tour and 718MB have beautiful squared lines I just cannot play them as well as I'd like to, much less afford them.

So here goes, the $900 offering from Wilson. When I worked retail golf in college, the Deep Red was our top selling driver. I always believed in their line but didn't see a club that I could play as a lower handicap.

I am hoping that there will be others on the forum who can share their thoughts and their feedback on what they like and dislike about these when they hit the market.

In the spring when we get our first thaw it'll be fun to give them a shot.

Until then, Go Bills!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I have no idea why but I have not been as excited for a product launch as I am for the C300 forged and driver this year. I have always been someone who found something and stuck with it. I went from 962B's in college and a year as an apprentice, played 670's for two more years and have been playing i5 PINGs since 2006 (the PING irons were the best option for me after visiting Scottsdale to become a club fitter). I am a 4.8 who gets maybe 6-10 rounds in a year, I wanted to upgrade and when I saw the C300 forged offering something just caught my eye.

I am accepting the fact that even though styles like the JPX900 Tour and 718MB have beautiful squared lines I just cannot play them as well as I'd like to, much less afford them.

So here goes, the $900 offering from Wilson. When I worked retail golf in college, the Deep Red was our top selling driver. I always believed in their line but didn't see a club that I could play as a lower handicap.

I am hoping that there will be others on the forum who can share their thoughts and their feedback on what they like and dislike about these when they hit the market.

Until then, Go Bills!!!

C300 Forged are legit. Wilson sent me a 7-iron for the First Look story (click here) - has that nice Wilson feel with some decent pop to it. It's on the short list to game for 2018 - anxious to try it out with the right shaft.  The driver/FW/hybrid collection is also first rate, IMO. Not sure how the driver will stack up against the bombers - fully expect Rogue/M3-M4 to top Most Wanted - but it won't be a dog either. (First Look here)

Wilson's biggest challenge, as always, is shelf space and demo opportunities. They have what they're calling a Grass Roots program, so I'd imagine they're going to focus on Demo Days and other opportunities, so keep your eyes open.

And not for nuthin --- Go Pats!!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I missed the C200's last season and that was one I really wanted to hit.  The C300 Forged are high on the list of irons I want to hit this season.  Wilson is consistently underrated when it comes to irons and for the price they have to be one of the best bang for your buck clubs you can buy.  

My biggest hold back is the lack of resale value for their clubs.  The secondary market prices wilson clubs so much less than everyone else that it's hard to justify paying full price when you can wait and buy a used set for less than half the cost.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Given that I gamed the C100's - hated everything about them except the way they performed - exactly as they should.

And the C200's - Wilson clearly listened to feedback on the 100's and added that interesting extra speed pocket thing - I really enjoy my C200's to the point where I recognize that when there's an issue it's me.

I'm anxious to try the C300 - both the regular and hi test forged. I'm hoping they offer a shaft around 65 grams. That seems to be my garden spot with irons.

I would probably do as Meyer suggests and just hang on until they start popping up online if I like them.

I am exciting to see what these are like. I'm hoping to have more time to play this season. I could go with my current bag and not look back but there's a reason why I'm on this website - my eyes do tend to roam.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

C300 Forged are legit. Wilson sent me a 7-iron for the First Look story (click here) - has that nice Wilson feel with some decent pop to it. It's on the short list to game for 2018 - anxious to try it out with the right shaft. The driver/FW/hybrid collection is also first rate, IMO. Not sure how the driver will stack up against the bombers - fully expect Rogue/M3-M4 to top Most Wanted - but it won't be a dog either. (First Look here)

Wilson's biggest challenge, as always, is shelf space and demo opportunities. They have what they're calling a Grass Roots program, so I'd imagine they're going to focus on Demo Days and other opportunities, so keep your eyes open.

And not for nuthin --- Go Pats!!

Thanks for the good info...when you say it has decent “pop” does it feel like a soft forge or does it have a clicky feel? The Callaway Apex forged and 716AP2 felt clicky to me if that offers any feel comparisons.

I appreciate the grass roots point you made. When we sold Deep Red, the struggle was convincing those who wanted a more mainstream brand to just try the club. As is with any club sales, convincing buyers to approach with an open mind is the most arduous task. Once the player finds something they love the brand doesn't matter.

Titleist 913D3 8.5 Whiteboard X

Titleist 904F GD YS-7 S

PING i5 3-7 green 8-P blue ZZ65

Mizuno T-7 52

Cleveland 588 RTX 58

PING Anser 2

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

My biggest hold back is the lack of resale value for their clubs. The secondary market prices wilson clubs so much less than everyone else that it's hard to justify paying full price when you can wait and buy a used set for less than half the cost.

I feel the same about the entire used club market. Selling anything from Callaway or TM who choose not to strict to 2 year product cycles makes it a nightmare to sell and upgrade.

Titleist 904F GD YS-7 S

Mizuno T-7 52

Cleveland 588 RTX 58

PING Anser 2

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

Until then, Go Bills!!!

Our rep is coming by Thursday with the entire line.  Only problem is, I think the high temp that day will only be around 25 degrees.  But I may still grab the forged and the non forged version and go into our pavillion and hit a few balls just to get the feel.   

If i determine anything I do that day is worth sharing, I certainly will, even if it's just few pics or my thoughts, but Barbajo's piece did a very good job on the preview of them. 

BTW, I tell people all the time, the best golf I ever played was when I had the 15's in my bag.  I played so well with them, I moved on from them after a year.. :wub:

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Our rep is coming by Thursday with the entire line. Only problem is, I think the high temp that day will only be around 25 degrees. But I may still grab the forged and the non forged version and go into our pavillion and hit a few balls just to get the feel.

If i determine anything I do that day is worth sharing, I certainly will, even if it's just few pics or my thoughts, but Barbajo's piece did a very good job on the preview of them.

BTW, I tell people all the time, the best golf I ever played was when I had the 15's in my bag. I played so well with them, I moved on from them after a year.. :wub:

Yes! Finally! See about that raw wedge.

Sent from a Galaxy Far...Far...Away...

I too like the C300 F-irons and the driver. I must add... your quite the player benson to be able to maintain a sub 5 hcp with 6-10 rounds a year. I play year round and some months can barely hang onto a 5. 

But then again you're a young buck and I'm old. LOL

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Yep, I'm nothing if not a persistent pain in the A$$!!

I too like the C300 F-irons and the driver. I must add... your quite the player benson to be able to maintain a sub 5 hcp with 6-10 rounds a year. I play year round and some months can barely hang onto a 5.

But then again you're a young buck and I'm old. LOL

Hahaha You're too kind but thank you. I am aging quickly! A new daughter 10 weeks ago will do it's best to get that index into the teens

Titleist 904F GD YS-7 S

Mizuno T-7 52

Cleveland 588 RTX 58

PING Anser 2

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

Thanks for the good info...when you say it has decent “pop” does it feel like a soft forge or does it have a clicky feel? The Callaway Apex forged and 716AP2 felt clicky to me if that offers any feel comparisons.

I appreciate the grass roots point you made. When we sold Deep Red, the struggle was convincing those who wanted a more mainstream brand to just try the club. As is with any club sales, convincing buyers to approach with an open mind is the most arduous task. Once the player finds something they love the brand doesn't matter.

Titleist 904F GD YS-7 S

Mizuno T-7 52

Cleveland 588 RTX 58

PING Anser 2

By pop i mean some power - they have a very nice forged feel like you'd expect from Wilson, but in an iron designed for distance. Combination of loft and the power holes to help the ball get going - these are definitely NOT distance challenged irons - but the appearance doesn't scream game improvement - really nice looking topline.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

By pop i mean some power - they have a very nice forged feel like you'd expect from Wilson, but in an iron designed for distance. Combination of loft and the power holes to help the ball get going - these are definitely NOT distance challenged irons - but the appearance doesn't scream game improvement - really nice looking topline.

Makes good enough sense. Thanks! As the engine starts to lose power I am not too proud to adapt. Have a good week!

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

Well...blame the damn snow we got yesterday. I ended up working from home yesterday and the rep still came out anyway, my boss said he was going to email him to rescheduled, but I guess he was already on the way here. So I missed out.   Guess we'll both have to wait for the PGA Show now.   Good news is it's only a couple weeks away. 

Well...blame the damn snow we got yesterday. I ended up working from home yesterday and the rep still came out anyway, my boss said he was going to email him to rescheduled, but I guess he was already on the way here. So I missed out. Guess we'll both have to wait for the PGA Show now. Good news is it's only a couple weeks away.

All good CG2. My thing of the year (2018) is patience...

All good CG2. My thing of the year (2018) is patience...

I  tried to make that my thing for 2018, and I already ran out of it  ;)

I tried to make that my thing for 2018, and I already ran out of it ;)

me too with this weather. It's bad. We have a 20mph north wind that is coming straight across Lake Superior.

Just tried to hit some balls out off the snow. Can't tell if I have a super nasty slice or the wind got ahold of it. I'm going with the wind... for now.

me too with this weather. It's bad. We have a 20mph north wind that is coming straight across Lake Superior.

Just tried to hit some balls out off the snow. Can't tell if I have a super nasty slice or the wind got ahold of it. I'm going with the wind... for now.

That would be my guess (wind) as well!!

• 1 month later...

Had the opportunity to demo the Wilson line this weekend and came away very impressed with the c300 irons. I tried the v6, c300, and c300 forged. While they were all nice I preferred the regular c300. I am sure the big complaint will be the power holes on the top line. When I first started hitting them the were noticeable but after a few shots they just blend in and aren't noticeable. Soft feel off all the irons, solid distance and nice dispersion. The KBS shaft line seem to be the selection of no upgrade charge shafts with others available at an up charge. I think Wilson has a winner with these clubs. I know they take a hit in the secondary market but with forged irons under $1k and non forged for $100 less you can't go wrong in a world where irons seem to be approaching a $1200 average price.

Also tried the c300 driver but came away unimpressed. It is nice but there are a lot of other drivers in the same price range that feel and play better for me

As a parting gift for trying the clubs I got a couple of 2 ball packs of the duo spin balls. For me it provided good performance. Distance was where I am normally hitting shots and it provided enough spin to stay within a few foot circle on approach shots. For a $22ish dollar ball it was better than expected.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I'm hoping the c300 forged are possible to test up here in Canada, they definitely appear to be the real deal. Has anybody read any reviews on them?

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

• 3 weeks later...

I tested the V6 irons (no C300 Forged in lefty til April), C300 Driver and C300 hybrid. 

V6 was solid but the launch monitor was giving me really bad ball speed numbers. We switched out the crap-tastic balls for the FG Tour ball and it improved, but no where near my gamers (B-stone J15CB). 

The driver, paired with a 75g Hzrdus Black 6.5 gave me some solid numbers sans ball speed. My normal ball speed is 168ish with the TM M2. This LM was saying around 152...with the FG Tour. But it was at 13.5* launch with sub 2100 rpm spin. That would produce a very long ball flight with 165+ ball speeds. 

The sleeper of the bunch by far is the hybrid. Mother of all that is holy it is a pure, consistent hybrid. Hit the 20* and the dispersion was crazy good. I nearly bought one but then this person called my wife texted me and said I needed to pay taxes instead of buying more golf clubs and that was the end of that. 

I like that Wilson is getting out into the public to let us try out the new gear. The rep and I spent a lot of time discussing the failures of Wilson in the past and where they're headed. It sounds very promising. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

Archived