TESTERS WANTED! ×

2018 PGA Tour Equipment Contract Changes

null

The one big name to announce a change so far has been Sergio Garcia going to Callaway

Jason Duffner is playing a new TMAG driver, but is doing so without a contract

Per JWall, Patrick Reed is now a Nike apparel staffer, and is no longer listed on the Callaway Tour Staff, so his equipment future is unknown.

Post any other changes in this thread!

Edit:  Jonathan Wall will be post updates within this article as they are made known  https://www.pgatour.com/equipmentreport/2018/01/04/equipment-changes-for-2018.html

Yeah, this is always fun to follow.

I saw Patrick Reed on the GC this morning talking up his Nike deal, basically he wears Nike 24/7 no matter if it's golf, working out, kicking it around home or out casually, and has all sorts of all-weather Nike stuff for the early season tournaments. 

Didn't go into his club details though that I saw. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Also another signing of a different interest is PXG with Anna Nordquist and Katherine Kirk  :blush:

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Surprise to me was Xander Schauffele.  He won twice last year, including the Tour Championship and earned PGA Tour Rookie of the Year Honors with TaylorMade.  Switched to Callaway!!  Must have been a boat load of money to make that switch, or TM has really cut back their sponsorship funds this year as part of a cost cutting move.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Surprise to me was Xander Schauffele.  He won twice last year, including the Tour Championship and earned PGA Tour Rookie of the Year Honors with TaylorMade.  Switched to Callaway!!  Must have been a boat load of money to make that switch, or TM has really cut back their sponsorship funds this year as part of a cost cutting move.

He readily admitted that it was about the $$.

Ben Hogan Golf Equipment Company, LLC announced that J.J. Henry has signed an endorsement deal with the Company.  Henry had played with Ben Hogan Golf Equipment earlier in his career.

Henry will play a variety of Ben Hogan Golf Equipment.  He will playing PTx mid and short irons and Ft. Worth Hi-Utility Irons. Henry will also have a Ben Hogan Golf Equipment staff bag. 

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Kinda surprised to see Hogan enter the tour endorsement market considering how close they have come to closing their doors just recently.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

• 2 weeks later...

That would be a good move to Ernie. Still get to play whatever Woods and putter you want. Seems like a great deal for a tour pro.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

Srixon just put out a teaser. Looks like a Ernie Els is joining their staff

Don't think it is Srixon based on this tweet:

https://twitter.com/Official_XXIO/status/955470918045888512

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Wow Patrick Reed looks different in Nike. They are making a huge run at putting good players in their clothing. Looks like Reed is using his old Nike irons and woods. I would love to see him play Mizzy clubs and win with them like a few other guys have done.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure I saw a Bettardini Facebook post stating that Li Haotong is now a member of their Tour staff, with the rest of his bag being TM gear of course.

http://www.golfwrx.com/485722/haotong-li-joins-bettinardis-tour-staff-will-play-an-ss3-mallet-putter/

I'm surprised that Reed didn't stay with Callaway whilst wearing Nike clothes, in the same vein as Thomas Pieters and Alex Noren. He's currently using Nike clubs in the bag as well.

I'm glad that Hudson Swafford is going to Callaway - the guy's a beast off the tee and has been playing well during the 2017 season.

Driver: Cobra F9 Speedback (9.0) with Fujikura Atmos 7X (Avalanche White) 

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero (15 degrees) in Rogue Max 75g stiff shaft

Hybrid: Callaway Apex 20 degree with Kurokage 80g Stiff Shaft

Irons: Wilson Staff CB 4-PW in KBS 120 Stiff shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50

Callaway MD4 - 56 & 60 degrees

Putter: Taylormade TP Collection Soto

Golf Ball: Titliest Pro V1 and Srixon Z-Star 

It is interesting to see what the players without a contract are putting in the bag.  There are some unusual combinations when a pro can choose every club in the bag.  The sponsored players bags are generally very boring.  

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

It seems like the

Taylormade Woods

Mizuno irons

Vokey Wedges

Scotty Cameron

Pro V1

Theme is getting bigger.

Side note, anyone else see Jimmy Walker with that spider putter?

This is basically the set up of most Mizuno and Srixon tour staff - except maybe with Mizuno/Cleveland wedges rather than the Vokeys, and obviously Srixon Z-Stars.

Driver: Cobra F9 Speedback (9.0) with Fujikura Atmos 7X (Avalanche White) 

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero (15 degrees) in Rogue Max 75g stiff shaft

Hybrid: Callaway Apex 20 degree with Kurokage 80g Stiff Shaft

Irons: Wilson Staff CB 4-PW in KBS 120 Stiff shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50

Callaway MD4 - 56 & 60 degrees

Putter: Taylormade TP Collection Soto

Golf Ball: Titliest Pro V1 and Srixon Z-Star 

It seems like the

Taylormade Woods

Mizuno irons

Vokey Wedges

Scotty Cameron

Pro V1

Theme is getting bigger.

Side note, anyone else see Jimmy Walker with that spider putter?

This is a good summary of what I have notice.  There does not seem to be too many Callaway clubs in the independent players bags.  Thought there would be more Epic drivers and fairway woods last season. 

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

Tony Finau signs with Ping

Finau's current setup includes PING's new G400 Max driver, G400 fairway wood and iBlade irons. Because the deal is for a minimum of 11 PING clubs, it's likely Finau will continue to use the same Piretti putter and Titleist Vokey wedges he's had in the bag.

https://www.pgatour.com/equipmentreport/2018/01/30/tony-finau-signs-multi-year-equipment-deal-with-ping-golf.html

I wonder if there is a time limit on the 11 clubs? I know most Ping staffers are usually 14 club deals. I don't know about wedges but he has used a Ping putter in the past so I imagine they custom shop him one in the coming weeks/months. Wedges could be a lot bigger change...

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

I wonder if there is a time limit on the 11 clubs? I know most Ping staffers are usually 14 club deals. I don't know about wedges but he has used a Ping putter in the past so I imagine they custom shop him one in the coming weeks/months. Wedges could be a lot bigger change...

From what I recall ping staffers aren't all 14 club deals, but usually the putter is mandatory

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I know Louis was gaming Callaway Wedges, but the website now has the Glide 2.0 Stealths listed. Seems as the Tour Gents wanted a softer wedge. I'd be interested in trying them out.

That makes sense. I always found their wedges to be rock hard. Never could take a liking to them. Will be interested to hear reviews on the new ones.

Archived