TESTERS WANTED! ×

I need mental help

TheWahoo

I think the number 1 thing to remember when trying to get out of the bunker is “you have to swing the club through the ball”. So many times I see guys take a nice back swing and then decelerate into the ball and kind of chop at the ball trying to just hack it out. Open the face and take a swing.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Went I say I need mental help it relates to my golf game :-). Regarding any other mental difficulties, when asked how do I handle them, I just say I don't handle them, I rather enjoy them. But such is not the case, with my golf game.

In another thread, I noted my inability to get out of green side sand bunkers. Having taken lessons from multiple instructors, watched multiple videos and read quite a number of articles, the general consensus is that my difficulty is mental. I seems that when I land in a bunker, I have some sort of panic.

Accordingly, permit me to ask if any of my fellow spies have experienced a similar mental block and overcame it. If so, it would be really helpful to know how it was done.

I absolutely hated being in bunkers and the escape was considered good for me to just get out of the sand in two or less.

I decided I needed to just practice. So I practiced quite a bit a few days in a row. Probably spent 4 or 5 hours total just focusing on getting the ball up and out.

The second day I was working on it, a + cap I'd played with a few times came along and hopped in the bunker beside me. I spent more time watching what he did and picking his brain than hitting balls when he was there. It really helped me. Nothing he said was new (hit an inch behind the ball, open the face a hair, etc.), but just seeing a guy execute what he was talking about was really interesting. One thing I did notice from him was how smooth he swung. No matter how much spin he had on the ball, always a smooth swing and never tried to kill the ball to get more spin.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

Tip: don't get in the bunker 😂🤣😂

Might be an issue that you are not hitting the actual ball, but the sand behind the ball. Maybe visualize a ball behind the real one?

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Tip: don't get in the bunker

Might be an issue that you are not hitting the actual ball, but the sand behind the ball. Maybe visualize a ball behind the real one?

MDGolfHacker

Good tip, that's why I continue to employ what I call the BAS--bunker avoidance shot.

Good tip, that's why I continue to employ what I call the BAS--bunker avoidance shot.

You use the "Bad Ass Sucker" avoidance shot too!   Cool  ;)

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I am probably a little late to the conversation. Sorry if this comment has already been repeated several times...

Come up with a list of steps to follow that contain solid fundamentals:

1. Wider stance

2. Choke down

3. Open up the clubface almost all the way

4. Look at a spot an inch or so behind the ball and only focus on hitting that spot. Make an aggressive swing and be sure not to decelerate. Make a shallow swing, which will help prevent chunking it.

5. Most importantly, remain confident throughout the other four steps. Confidence is key. Just try not to think about the shot too much. Block it out and let the greatness flow!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

I am probably a little late to the conversation. Sorry if this comment has already been repeated several times...

Come up with a list of steps to follow that contain solid fundamentals:

1. Wider stance

2. Choke down

3. Open up the clubface almost all the way

4. Look at a spot an inch or so behind the ball and only focus on hitting that spot. Make an aggressive swing and be sure not to decelerate. Make a shallow swing, which will help prevent chunking it.

5. Most importantly, remain confident throughout the other four steps. Confidence is key. Just try not to think about the shot too much. Block it out and let the greatness flow!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Great advice plus practice, practice, practice. The bunker is not a place for the yips.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Start taking a Xanax before every round.  Then you won't care where the ball goes, whether it's a bunker or the green.   :D

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM6 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

To those that have responded to my post and to those that may respond, please accept my sincere thank you.   I am not going to give up and hopefully someday I can report that while I don't like sand bunkers they no longer scare the heck out of me.  

Wahoo,  Having personally witnessed your "Bunker woes"  I can personally attest it is the 6 inches between your ears, and certainly not your swing.  I think that many of the tips within the forum, as well as the new equipment (big bounce, allowing you to glide under the ball and push up both ball and sand with relative ease) is part of the solution- but first and foremost, you should shift your thoughts from being "Oh C&@P,  I am in the bunker again" to - "Alright, an opportunity for a SANDY and taking $$ from my buddies!"

That, coupled with practice from the bunker and from bunkers in various states of play (fluffy sand, hard packed sand, wet sand, and hardpan - BTW, when you figure out hardpan, I will take lessons from you!!!)  which will help you and your confidence. 

You have a very VERY good short  game- you just need to carry that confidence into the bunkers!

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

Start taking a Xanax before every round.  Then you won't care where the ball goes, whether it's a bunker or the green.   :D

I wonder if a mental problem or mental block could qualify for a medical weed card.   As I've have said often, I have met many nasty drunks, but I've never met a stoner that wasn't happy--hungry but happy.

I wonder if a mental problem or mental block could qualify for a medical weed card.   As I've have said often, I have met many nasty drunks, but I've never met a stoner that wasn't happy--hungry but happy.

Hey at this point, aren't you willing to try anything?  Depends ... how bad to do you really want to improve at getting out of bunkers?  HA!  

In all seriousness buddy, I'll give you a bunker lesson next time I get to play with you.  Bunkers, I'm happy to say, are my forte!  I don't mind being in them at all.  And to be honest, I could sit here and write out a million things to do or try but this is something that needs to be "shown" what to do.  Bunkers are very easy after you imagine that the ball isn't there and just "thump" the sand.  Watch the ball fly out with ease.

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM6 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

That's my predominant on-course strategy, too .. BA = Bunker Avoidance (and not, in this case, bare-assed).

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I wonder if a mental problem or mental block could qualify for a medical weed card. As I've have said often, I have met many nasty drunks, but I've never met a stoner that wasn't happy--hungry but happy.

That might give you meaning to 'in the rough'

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Went I say I need mental help it relates to my golf game :-).   Regarding any other mental difficulties, when asked how do I handle them, I just say I don't handle them, I rather enjoy them.   But such is not the case, with my golf game.

In another thread, I noted my inability to get out of green side sand bunkers.   Having taken lessons from multiple instructors, watched multiple videos and read quite a number of articles, the general consensus is that my difficulty is mental.  I seems that when I land in a bunker, I have some sort of panic.  

Accordingly, permit me to ask if any of my fellow spies have experienced a similar mental block and overcame it.  If so, it would be really helpful to know how it was done.

Playing bunker is exactly like riding a bicycle. Even easier to some because, like you've heard a thousand times, you don't even have to hit the sand. There are some learning curve, but once you got the idea of it then it tends to stay with you for all time. You know? Like riding a bicycle:)

If you are learning and/or trying to get more consistency on your bunker play break it up into 3 stage.

First stage, get it out.

Second stage, get it on.

Last stage, get it close.

They are self explanatory get out, get on, get close. Some shots are easier to do than others but starts with the basic and go from there. Once you “got it” it would be pretty easy to just get out and on everytime getting close well like everything else it's practice practice practice. Good bunker shots is a perishable skills like a chef knife, if you want it to cut well it needs to be sharpened regularly.

Stick with the motion, not what you think you should make the club face do in the middle of your swing. I certainly did that for the longest time til I saw the vid of myself hitting the bunker shots, it's like watching Charles Barkley swing.

Since we are talking mental here... it's all about confidence or the false perception that you know what you are doing.

I just step in and pretend I know what I'm doing (even when I don't) and swing away with an empty mind. Then don't forget to kick the sand off your shoes like the pro's do :lol:

It's like hitting on girls... confidence also needs to be practiced and it will come eventually.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Most people I know are anxious, or worse, in bunkers. I certainly don't look to go in bunkers, but I'm not thrown when it happens. It's rare that I can't get out and two putt from a green side bunker, with a (one putt) sandy thrown in here and there.

Only good experiences from sand will overcome your mental block, and that comes with practice.

I'd add, do you have a stock shot from green side bunkers? Are you usually short, or long, or all over?

I always explode out even if the pin is 10 feet away, and it's the most versatile and repeatable out with practice. The ball lands softly, even spins some. The people I play with who don't fare well in bunkers try to pick the ball out cleanly, and that's actually much harder to get good at. The ball comes out hotter and runs. Or they're constantly trying to vary how much sand they take.

Start with one stock bunker shot at least until you get that down.

Almost every greenside bunker shot I hit is the same, all that changes is the swing length.

- I dig my feet in with an open stance, with the ball centered or even ahead, not back in the stance.

- I open the face of the club a lot, unlike any other golf shot. Takes lips out of play, but still works well even if you don't need the high loft.

- I hit 2” behind the ball, and that's where I am looking throughout the shot - I am never looking at the ball after I've taken my stance.

- Don't decelerate or try to help the ball out, just a complete smooth swing.

- You will have to swing a little harder in wet sand.

It takes a bigger swing than almost any other shot, with practice you come to realize and get comfortable with that.

For starters, go hit out of a bunker as I described and take a full but controlled swing. If you're hitting 2” behind the ball, the ball won't go that far, maybe 40 yards for me. So a half swing is about 20 yards if that. People who pick the ball clean could hit it 5 yards or 80!

Start with the goal, I'm getting out of every trap in one and avoiding other hazards. And line up and swing accordingly. Note if you tend to be long or short, and adjust swing length only. And note where behind the ball you're hitting, I'd suggest hitting 2” behind the ball every time. Adjust you're stance, where you're looking or whatever until you're consistently hitting 2” behind the ball.

Once you master that, the goal is to land anywhere on the green. Note it you tend to be long or short, and adjust swing length only.

Once you can do that, then you can try to get closer to pins.

Only when you've mastered one stock bunker shot, the explosion if you ask me, you can play with other ways out of bunkers like taking less sand. But again, I think you can just focus on the explosion and getting better at it, instead of learning other outs.

Every once in a while you may run into a sand lie with very little sand under it, mostly dirt - if you play muni courses. You may not be able to explode there, you just do your best there, make sure you get the ball out, and hope it doesn't happen often.

You can do it just like anyone else. It'll just take practice and IMO starting with just explosions. Good luck.

I like the stock shot mentality from the bunker.  Great idea!

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder