TESTERS WANTED! ×

Why are we supporting Callaway and TM on the Most Wanted Testing?

Pappyvanroyl

It's been said, and needs to be reiterated: why are we rewarding Callaway and Taylormade by buying their clubs for the testing? If they decline, then they're left out! I donate every year, and this year I'm commenting! In the past, we haven't tested Tour Edge because they've declined. Callaway and TM are abusing their popularity to not contribute, but still make money!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Searching
Wood: Cobra Fly-Z 3 wood factory stiff shaft
Hybrid: Cobra Baffler 3-hybrid factory stiff shaft
Irons: Cobra F8 One Length 5-GW
Wedges: 52,56,60 Mizuno mp t5
Putter: Sentio Red (Medium)
Ball: Bridgestone E6 Speed, and Titleist Pro V1

Sorry, autocorrect, should read Why are we..

Btw, glad to see Tour Edge came around. Let's send a message, not our money! (Maybe this should go in the Rant thread, haha)

Tough spot to be in for MGS... With the motto, “Power to the Player”, they have an obligation to have the TM and Cally clubs in the test to give some truth to what the marketing claims are. By doing so, the player wins. If the M3/M4 rest at the bottom of the pack, it will cost TM and Cally more in sales than what MGS spent to include them.

To me, MGS is saying, “Y'all can't hide behind your claims! We're going to PROVE what your clubs can do.” If the clubs are good, we still win as we know now to go try them. I see it as sticking it to “the man”. It's one reason why I donated this year...

Power to the Player will always be the motivation.

(No idea why others weren't included before who didn't volunteer.)

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Tough spot to be in for MGS... With the motto, “Power to the Player”, they have an obligation to have the TM and Cally clubs in the test to give some truth to what the marketing claims are. By doing so, the player wins. If the M3/M4 rest at the bottom of the pack, it will cost TM and Cally more in sales than what MGS spent to include them.

To me, MGS is saying, “Y'all can't hide behind your claims! We're going to PROVE what your clubs can do.” If the clubs are good, we still win as we know now to go try them. I see it as sticking it to “the man”. It's one reason why I donated this year...

Power to the Player will always be the motivation.

(No idea why others weren't included before who didn't volunteer.)

Very well said and correct. If you aren't participating, for whatever reason, MGS is gonna find out if it's because you made a bad club. If TM and Cally finish at the bottom but are making all these claims about how great, MGS will expose all to help the player. But not including them in the testing allows the manufacturer to hide.

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

Good points for sure! Kieldog, you hit it in the end though, that other manufacturers weren't included in the past that declined. I am 100% bought in to Power To The Player here, maybe I'm more disappointed in the companies that declined than disagreeing with MyGolfSpy's actions. I, for one, will be selling my Epic Driver. Will go check out other brands like Titleist, Ping, etc. Side note, had the opportunity to do a wedge fitting at Manchester Lane with Titleist, and I'll give up a couple yards on my woods (if it comes to that) to support the employees I met there. As Titleist is supporting MGS testing.

For my two cents I say don't include them. All you have to do is read others tests. I for one would buy another brand just because they didn't want to participate. I think a test with the same loft and same shaft in weight flex and length would give you a driver if there is one that out performs the others

Very well said and correct. If you aren't participating, for whatever reason, MGS is gonna find out if it's because you made a bad club. If TM and Cally finish at the bottom but are making all these claims about how great, MGS will expose all to help the player. But not including them in the testing allows the manufacturer to hide.

Agree with this. I myself don't buy any TM or Cally product.

But I do donate to MGS to buy their products for testing. They need to be included in the testing to be far & unbiased test.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

OMG. It's all just marketing buzz. The USGA has limited virtually everything distance related. So the brain dead just go with whatever their fav pro plays ... as if the pros play the same Chinese pot metal we get to purchase. NOT. Accuracy is the final frontier but the majority is distance focused. Personally I spend most of my golf related money on fittings, Flightscope sessions & Gears ...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I'm with Kieldog, this is what MGS is about. And personally I want to see MGS test everything they can. It takes a ton of time and effort to get these tests lined up and done. But leaving those two out would not inform the player and thus would not be in the spirit of this site.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

Some part of me thinks Callaway and TM are just taking advantage of the MGS mantra. It seems like they're just saying no because they know MGS will buy them anyway at full retail and help them move a decent chunk of product. Their products tend to perform well in the tests so I don't think they have much to lose from a "being exposed" standpoint.

I get the reasoning. And I agree MGS should include everything on the market in their tests. It just hurts to see them getting taken advantage of.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Agree with this. I myself don't buy any TM or Cally product.

But I do donate to MGS to buy their products for testing. They need to be included in the testing to be far & unbiased test.

I'm with Kieldog, this is what MGS is about. And personally I want to see MGS test everything they can. It takes a ton of time and effort to get these tests lined up and done. But leaving those two out would not inform the player and thus would not be in the spirit of this site.

Every OEM needs to be tested regardless of their intentions.  It sits better with the public if TM & Cally provide equipment like the rest of the companies.. 

Some part of me thinks Callaway and TM are just taking advantage of the MGS mantra. It seems like they're just saying no because they know MGS will buy them anyway at full retail and help them move a decent chunk of product. Their products tend to perform well in the tests so I don't think they have much to lose from a "being exposed" standpoint.

I get the reasoning. And I agree MGS should include everything on the market in their tests. It just hurts to see them getting taken advantage of.

So the companies behind TM & Cally in total sales can contribute yet these two are holding  back?  I thought the big boys had bigger pocket books....  :blink:  I'm not 100% positive however I'm betting the farm there's other golf forums  who ARE receiving equipment to test for free.  Now why would you give equipment to some and others not? Well for one thing we work on total integrity and if your stuff doesn't add up, you don't get a gold star. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Sorry, autocorrect, should read Why are we..

FYI you can edit your title .  Hit the More Reply Options tab and fix your title.  ;)

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Here's my two cents, my personal opinion and not MGS official stance here.

Relationships in the industry wax and wane.  Sometimes you're on the good list, sometimes you're on the naughty list and often without any apparent reason.  In the TM case it stems back a year or so ago to the articles on the pending sale of TM from the Adidas Group.  We've been on the sh!t list ever since.

In the Callaway case they have decided that since the drivers are custom fit it's not a fair representation of what their drive can achieve.  Yes I think it's just BS, but that's their stance at the moment.  Callaway in the past has supported MGS and just in the last year as participated in forum testing several times.

As for Most Wanted and MGS including them anyway.  You kind of have to include them don't you?  You can't have the best, greatest, most datacratic, power to the player driver test in golf and not include the 2 biggest names in drivers.  

As for Cally and TM not participating just to get a couple more sales.... I highly doubt the 2 models of each driver that MGS will buy is really going to move the needle in the sales dept.  That's a non-issue.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Relationships in the industry wax and wane.  Sometimes you're on the good list, sometimes you're on the naughty list and often without any apparent reason.  In the TM case it stems back a year or so ago to the articles on the pending sale of TM from the Adidas Group.  We've been on the sh!t list ever since.

In the Callaway case they have decided that since the drivers are custom fit it's not a fair representation of what their drive can achieve.  Yes I think it's just BS, but that's their stance at the moment.  Callaway in the past has supported MGS and just in the last year as participated in forum testing several times.

As for Most Wanted and MGS including them anyway.  You kind of have to include them don't you?  You can't have the best, greatest, most datacratic, power to the player driver test in golf and not include the 2 biggest names in drivers.  

As for Cally and TM not participating just to get a couple more sales.... I highly doubt the 2 models of each driver that MGS will buy is really going to move the needle in the sales dept.  That's a non-issue.

Nailed it

Nailed it bigly, Meyer. This website isn't about playing games with the big boys, it's about putting info into the player's hand. And don't go selling your epic out of some perceived slight- unless something else works better- that would be counter to the whole point of MGS!

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

Relationships in the industry wax and wane. Sometimes you're on the good list, sometimes you're on the naughty list and often without any apparent reason. In the TM case it stems back a year or so ago to the articles on the pending sale of TM from the Adidas Group. We've been on the sh!t list ever since.

In the Callaway case they have decided that since the drivers are custom fit it's not a fair representation of what their drive can achieve. Yes I think it's just BS, but that's their stance at the moment. Callaway in the past has supported MGS and just in the last year as participated in forum testing several times.

As for Most Wanted and MGS including them anyway. You kind of have to include them don't you? You can't have the best, greatest, most datacratic, power to the player driver test in golf and not include the 2 biggest names in drivers.

As for Cally and TM not participating just to get a couple more sales.... I highly doubt the 2 models of each driver that MGS will buy is really going to move the needle in the sales dept. That's a non-issue.

This is why you're getting paid the big bucks, Meyer! Haha

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: 10.5* XR16 R Flex

Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha V-Series 3 Wood R Flex

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 913H 21* R flex

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: C300 4-PW R Flex

Wedges: :titelist-small: SM5 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: :cleveland-small: 2135 Cero 33" / :odyssey-small: EXO Seven S 33"

The thing that stood out to me about last years most wanted driver list was how consistent all of the top manufacturers are.  You could pick almost any driver out of the top 10 and not go wrong.  If you look a few years back there seemed to be a much bigger difference between the winning driver and 10th place.  

Callaway and TM seem to market their clubs as being the best by far.  There is no way this is going to show up in the MGS testing.  

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

Callaway and TM seem to market their clubs as being the best by far. There is no way this is going to show up in the MGS testing.

Don't they all? A company wouldn't get very far by saying, "TaylorMade, the #6 Driver in Golf." You have to sell yourself, and all companies do that.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Don't they all? A company wouldn't get very far by saying, "TaylorMade, the #6 Driver in Golf." You have to sell yourself, and all companies do that.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Reminds me of when Letterman was always 2nd to Leno in late night viewers.  Then made a bunch of billboards all over the place advertising they were #2 in late night.  It's always refreshing when someone doesn't take themselves too seriously.  I just don't ever see that happening in golf :)

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I've read some, but not all comments and this is my opinion.

If we "punish" TM and Callaway for not participating in a Most Wanted test then we are also punishing the player. It's Power to the Player, not Punish to the Player. I'll admit I haven't donated recently (coming again soon). But, we need to keep donating so all clubs can be tested. We need all the facts and all the numbers, so we know what clubs are the best for our games and that's what MGS does for us.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Archived