TESTERS WANTED! ×

One Monterey Round-Need Help!

rpesch08

My wife and I are planning a trip up to coast of California and planning on spending a couple nights in Monterey. I've convinced her to let me play one round while we're there and need some help trying to decide.

I won't be staying at the pebble beach resort so I'd have to gamble to get on either Spyglass or Spanish Bay. Trying to decide between Poppy Hills, Pasatiempo, Bayonet and Black Horse.

Would love to walk, possibly with a caddy and will need to rent clubs (if there's any insight there that would be huge).

Thanks in advance for any help!

Played Pasatiempo a little over a year ago -- absolutely LOVED it. It's about an hour outside of Monterey, but it's a great track. They didn't have caddies when I played there, and the back 9 is pretty hilly.

I've heard Poppy Hills is fantastic, and of course Spyglass and Spanish Bay are legendary. 

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Enjoy your time! Beautiful area.  Wife and I will be heading to the area before going to Napa for our 10 year anniversary.  

I have played Pasa and it is truly amazing.  Played and walked 36.  Highly recommend.  Have heard that Poppy hills is great as well.  Prob couldn't go wrong with either.

Good luck with Spanish Bay and Spyglass.  haven't played either.

:callaway-small:  Epic Flash SZ 9o w/ Ventus 6X

:callaway-small:  Rogue 4wd w/ ATMOS Red 7X

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20o w/ ATMOS Blue 7S tipped 1"

:mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour 4i - PW (standard lofts) Rifle

:titelist-small:  SM6 51o, 59o, SM7 55o   

:titelist-small:  2019 ProV1x

:tp-mills-1: Custom Ming

• 1 month later...

My wife and I are planning a trip up to coast of California and planning on spending a couple nights in Monterey. I've convinced her to let me play one round while we're there and need some help trying to decide.

I won't be staying at the pebble beach resort so I'd have to gamble to get on either Spyglass or Spanish Bay. Trying to decide between Poppy Hills, Pasatiempo, Bayonet and Black Horse.

Would love to walk, possibly with a caddy and will need to rent clubs (if there's any insight there that would be huge).

Thanks in advance for any help!

Just ran across this post and am not sure if you've made your trip yet... But call the golf booking number for Pebble Beach. As a single, you should have no problem getting on any of their courses (Pebble, Spyglass, or Spanish Bay). I know Pebble says they only book 24 hrs in advance for a non-resort guest, but I was offered a tee time 2 weeks in advance this past summer when I was trying to play using a NCGA discount. The only times left at the discount I wasn't sure that I'd have enough sunlight to finish, so they offered to book at full price for 2 weeks in advance. 

As for the Caddies, you can request one for any course inside of 17 Mile Drive and it is a great way to enjoy the courses. Pebble, Spyglass, Spanish Bay, and Poppy Hills are cart path only, so walking is my preferred method out there (can't stand cart path only golf). The caddie fee is a little steep, but I can't recommend it enough. It was a great experience walking the course and not having to worry about your bag, cleaning clubs, raking bunkers, etc., etc.

In the Sun Mountain 4.5LS 14-way bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: M2 10.5° :: Accra FX260
Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 19° :: Fujikura ATMOS Tour Spec 7X Blue
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 21° :: Mitsubishi Black 80G50
Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 (5-AW) :: KBS Tour 110
Sand Wedge: :cleveland-small: CBX-2 54° :: KBS Tour 110
Lob Wedge: :cleveland-small: RTX-3 58° :: TT Dynamic Gold
Putter: :cameron-small: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: AVX

Archived