Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

New Shaft Company on the market...

Shaft Colors   

37 members have voted

1. 1. Shaft Color (Graphite)?

• Silver (Similar to KBS C-Taper)
    • Chrome (Similar to Steel or UST Recoil)
    • Matte Black
    • Matte White
  2. 2. Shaft Color (Steel)?

• Silver (Similar to KBS C-Taper)
    • Chrome (Similar to Steel or UST Recoil)
    • Matte Black
    • Gloss Black (Like Dynamic Gold Tour Issue)
    • White (Similar to KBS White Pearl)

Hi All,

A good friend of mine has a shaft company he started for frequency matched shafts and is currently working with a high end shaft company to get the shafts built. Unfortunately, I cannot name the shaft company he is working with, but right now we are trying to design the shaft and colors. So above I have a poll with different shaft colors and I am asking you guys to select which you prefer. If you have any questions about the shafts or ideas for graphics and colors, don't hesitate to drop a reply down below. Thanks guys. 

DominicScalettaGolf 

Not trying to be a d*ck, but does the reputable shaft OEM that you won't tell us about already make frequency matched shafts? If they do, then around 95% of golfers don't really give a dang about what  their iron shaft colour is. Which begs the question - what, if anything, are you offering that anyone else doesn't?

Not trying to be a d*ck, but does the reputable shaft OEM that you won't tell us about already make frequency matched shafts? If they do, then around 95% of golfers don't really give a dang about what  their iron shaft colour is. Which begs the question - what, if anything, are you offering that anyone else doesn't?

I get what you are saying. No, the company does not make frequency matched shafts. As a matter of fact, no companies make frequency matched shafts. Frequency matching is a building process. These shafts are not "frequency matched," but they make the building process of frequency matched sets easier, given how the shafts are built and the materials used. They were developed with this company in order to make this process easier. The company who fits and builds the clubs that are frequency matched is SureStix.com. I switched to frequency matched shafts in my irons and my dispersion went from 85 ft. with a 7 iron to 28 ft. they are incredible. 

Most clubs are built where the PW is stiffer than the 9, and 9 is stiffer than the 8, etc, etc. These frequencies are matched club to club thus the phrase "frequency matching." 

Since this shaft has already been designed and developed, we are tying to get input from you (golfers) on which color shaft you prefer at address and just what color looks cool when you take it out of the bag. 

Dominic Scaletta 

Silver

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

I get what you are saying. No, the company does not make frequency matched shafts. As a matter of fact, no companies make frequency matched shafts. Frequency matching is a building process. These shafts are not "frequency matched," but they make the building process of frequency matched sets easier, given how the shafts are built and the materials used. They were developed with this company in order to make this process easier. The company who fits and builds the clubs that are frequency matched is SureStix.com. I switched to frequency matched shafts in my irons and my dispersion went from 85 ft. with a 7 iron to 28 ft. they are incredible. 

Most clubs are built where the PW is stiffer than the 9, and 9 is stiffer than the 8, etc, etc. These frequencies are matched club to club thus the phrase "frequency matching." 

Since this shaft has already been designed and developed, we are tying to get input from you (golfers) on which color shaft you prefer at address and just what color looks cool when you take it out of the bag. 

Dominic Scaletta 

Thanks for the reply.

I understand what frequency matching and it's associated theories are (I've been in the business of club building for some time) but I'm still not sure what you're bringing to the table other than a colour?

Sure, you can frequency match plenty of shaft OEM's using a variety of methods (Rifle are still available through PFC for example) and graphite has numerous options, but in all honesty I've don't see many orders coming across my table for frequency matched iron sets in a particular colour scheme. Custom ferrules yes, custom shaft colours, no.

KBS does make a few in black and white as do TT and a few others - and of course graphite does throw a few quirky colour schemes into the mix, but I honestly think the colour options market potential is rather limited and therefore very niche. You might sell a few, but nothing like on the same scale as traditional steel chrome finish. Until the day comes when the majority of touring pros are toting funky iron shafts, then the custom colour option is somewhat a limited business opportunity - not only to the club builder (who barely make enough as it is I might add) but also to the shaft OEM's who intend to take a punt on the supply to market where there clearly isn't a high demand.

Good luck in your venture though.

Not trying to be a d*ck, but does the reputable shaft OEM that you won't tell us about already make frequency matched shafts? If they do, then around 95% of golfers don't really give a dang about what their iron shaft colour is. Which begs the question - what, if anything, are you offering that anyone else doesn't?

As I understand it, SureStix is working with a shaft manufacturer to develop a product that simplifies dynamic frequency fitting specifically. In other words, shafts that make buildout matching easier for the underpaid and sometimes jaded club builder. I won't get into the weeds with the technical physics utilized in static vs dynamic frequency matching; but they are quite different.

I will however dig into the expansive hole in the ad hominem logic you present re: current market offerings. Fact: the majority of manufacturers offer shaft sets in a single color

Suggestion: even if the option was readily available, only 5% of golfers laying out considerable coin for custom fitting would take advantage of the option to choose a shaft color

Reality: in an effort to reduce costs, manufacturers produce shafts in limited colors; meaning any subsequent theory on market demand re: color options is completely lacking reliable data

Conclusion: like, that's just like, your opinion man

So, since you begged, this is the opportunity for the actual market to exert some influence on the color of the finished product. In other words, something no other company is doing...soliciting opinion directly, prior to manufacture.

I personally hate chrome shafts due to potential for sunlight glare.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

Veylix has shafts that appear to change color at different angles in sunlight... I'd choose this!!!!

And you're welcome for the site link...

https://www.mag.veylix.com/wildeye

IMG_4500.PNG

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Veylix has shafts that appear to change color at different angles in sunlight... I'd choose this!!!!

And you're welcome for the site link...

https://www.mag.veylix.com/wildeye

attachicon.gifIMG_4500.PNG

Those look pretty sweet! I like the chameleon effect.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

I'm not interested in multiple color options for shafts. Same with paint schemes and graphics. All I care about with shafts is... does it work for me. If so I could care less what color it is or the graphics. I certainly wouldn't pick a shaft for my driver or irons for that matter based on color. If every graphite shaft on the market were only gray or black I'd be perfectly happy. 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I'm not interested in multiple color options for shafts. Same with paint schemes and graphics. All I care about with shafts is... does it work for me. If so I could care less what color it is or the graphics. I certainly wouldn't pick a shaft for my driver or irons for that matter based on color. If every graphite shaft on the market were only gray or black I'd be perfectly happy.

Agreed. Shaft could say “dog dirt” and if it fitted me perfectly, I wouldn't care in the least.

WITB 2021
Driver: Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 9* w/ C.Kua Stiff

FW: Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 15* w/ C.Kua Stiff

HY: Cleveland Launcher Halo 19* w/ C.Kua Stiff 

Irons: Titleist 716 AP1 4-PW w/ KBS 90 Stiff

Wedges: Vokey SM8 50*, 54*, & 60^

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Laguna 2 OR OG Futura

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1/V1x OR Chrome Soft TT

Bag: Sun Mountain 2019 4.5 14way carry

Clothes: Nike OR Under Armour 

I suspect more golfers would be willing to play graphite iron shafts if they were painted chrome (to look like steel shafts).  Like USTs.  There is a stigma to playing them in irons.

:ping-small:G410 plus driver,:taylormade-small:Aeroburner 3W, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
:callaway-small:XR 4, 5 hybrids
:titleist-small:2021 T300 6 - GW, SW irons
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy CB 58/12 wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Alternates: Srixon ZX4 MKII irons

Do chrome or satin chrome. Because if you don't offer 100% replacement, you'll lose the market really quickly. Colors rub/scratch off. I play Dynamic Golf Tour Issue Black Onyx. They weren't available anywhere when I got mine. The finish has wear. Finish wear will happen. Do you want to fight that uphill battle trying to break into an already saturated shaft market?

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• 5 months later...

Now, granted I'm a 10 handicap, but on the contrary I would happily buy different colored shafts depending on the set I'm using so long as the shaft itself didn't produce a negative effect. Honestly, much like golf balls, I can only really tell the difference in shaft when I don't like it, so all things being equal, I would love the opportunity to buy different shafts and finishes. 

DRIVER: PING G400 9.0° 
4 WOOD:  TAYLORMADE M3 17°
HYBRID:  PING G400 19°
IRONS:  PING i500 4-iron / i200 5-PW
WEDGES:  PING GLIDE FORGED 50°, 54°
LOB WEDGE: TAYLORMADE HI-TOE  58°
PUTTER: ODYSSEY STROKE LAB DOUBLE WIDE

... While I want to completely agree with you, I find really brightly colored shafts a distraction, especially if they clash with the color/graphics on many of todays woods. I picked up set of Hot Pink 95 Recoil Prototype irons shafts and I thought I would not care if they performed, which they really do. But they were just too distracting for me. I bought another set of the standard gray color and now I never notice them. Like you I would be very happy with black, gray or silver. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

• 9 months later...
On 6/16/2018 at 8:46 AM, chisag said:

So you would avoid a great shaft based on the color or graphics? I'm just clarifying because I am researching this market. I am being advised that intricate, ornate graphics and colors are essential. I feel that the higher price-point consumer will want it to blend into the set/bag rather than stand out. And think, like you, that if it clashes with a club (or bag) you could lose a customer by trying to make it too "interesting" just for the sake of it.

The only argument I have for making them colorful is when they are brand consistent so it is quickly identified on tour cameras or is considered a status symbol... like a red or yellow Ferrari. A yellow mini-van is less "impressive" even if it is the same color. In motocross and sportbikes everyone knows that lime green is Kawasaki... other manufacturers don't even think of doing it simply to avoid confusion. 

Do most of you feel the same? 

... While I want to completely agree with you, I find really brightly colored shafts a distraction, especially if they clash with the color/graphics on many of todays woods. I picked up set of Hot Pink 95 Recoil Prototype irons shafts and I thought I would not care if they performed, which they really do. But they were just too distracting for me. I bought another set of the standard gray color and now I never notice them. Like you I would be very happy with black, gray or silver. 

Archived