Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

[REVIEW] PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 100% Milled Wedge

puttingpirate

I've not seen anyone review those anywhere on the net so I thought I'll bite the bullet and do it myself.

If you have any questions - just ask.

As you know, with PXG price is a bit of an issue. Those will cost you £695-1100 in the UK per wedge.
Whenever or not someone wants to pay it, afford it, sees value for money is up to the individual and I won't be discussing it here.

As long as you're comfortable with being called a Sugar Daddy it's a pretty nice looking head.

mDl6H65.jpg

You can see that there has been no expense spared in making of this club. 
The finish is much more matte than the 0311, the deep grooves on the bounce are reminiscent of a mix between white gold and Damascus steel.

OBAQ0VA.jpg

As far as I'm aware those are the _only_ 100% milled wedges, and the quality just shows.

Anyway - I got it as a ‘lower' bounce option for when I play courses with a lot of tight lies, and having played it for the first time yesterday… It does feel different. 
I didn't have the time to check it out on my launch monitor but the ball has more spin. 

My ball bit the green and rolled back about 3 feet. It never happened to me before to get so much backspin.

The feeling is a little bit more ‘solid' than the previous PXG wedges. It's super easy to open a little bit with the grind. The feel is so buttery soft.
And it played awesome. I've hit pitch shots, lob shots and out of bunkers. It worked so well that if I was to choose - I'd keep the Sugar Daddy in 56 vs a 54 + 58 in the 0311.

I play my 54 as 3/4 shot from 75y and the 56 was still spot on. On the short game practice area I've hit 20 balls from 70/50/20 yards over a bunker and most of my balls were dancing nicely on the green, with mostly being within 3 feet.

My only problem with it, as with all the PXG clubs - they show use instantly. 
fOwt3IT.jpg
I mean instantly. 
They get dinged up, rust etc… but I guess thats what you have to deal with when you get such soft steel.

And the difference in colour between the 0311 and 0311T wedge is annoying too, as I have the whole PXG bag and it just looks annoying to have 1 different wedge :) 

A4WuaZY.jpg

Anyway - as far as wedges go - those are brilliant and a solid **4.75/5**

CoG with almost all wedges is towards the heel.  Natural tendency for better players is to "miss" heelside with a wedge

All of the CoG's in my bag must be towards heel then. Yep, that's what I'm gonna tell myself

Jokes aside, I had no idea about that... I've tried in practice so hard to strike the middle, and I can do it when I think and concentrate, but on the course it always seems to be heel side of center.

edit: got off track -- nice wedge brah

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

All of the CoG's in my bag must bee towards heel then. Yep, that's what I'm gonna tell myself

Jokes aside, I had no idea about that... I've tried in practice so hard to strike the middle, and I can do it when I think and concentrate, but on the course it always seems to be heel side of center.

edit: got off track -- nice wedge brah

Thx. When i practice I try to strike toe and heel on purpose so i know the feelings I don't want to have ;> 

Yeh, make sure they are at least washed before you hit them. I took a large chunk out my cast cobra wedges with range balls. I imagine forged irons would get eaten up with those.

Yeah, think they always are washed at the ranges I use... The biggest pain for me was sand bunkers with a ton of stones. But I got used to living with dinged up clubs. What can you do. When they will look absolutely shite I may send them off to get refinished

Nice hitting pattern, like the look of the T

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

Trying to figure out the exchange rate here... Did you say £1100?

Anyways- did you feel the milling on the rear of the bounce helped get through cleanly? That certainly looks interesting.

Thanks for the write-up!

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

Were you fitted for them?

With that amount of wear from one range session, how long do you think that it will last? I'd hope that at £650-1000 you'd get at least 2 years out of it.

I'll be interested to see how well performance is maintained as they wear.

Let us know you score better with them. Did your scoring improve when you changed to your previous PXG wedges?

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Trying to figure out the exchange rate here... Did you say £1100?

Anyways- did you feel the milling on the rear of the bounce helped get through cleanly? That certainly looks interesting.

Thanks for the write-up!

Their pricing is like Apple; £1100 in UK translates to $1100 in the US.

Were you fitted for them?

With that amount of wear from one range session, how long do you think that it will last? I'd hope that at £650-1000 you'd get at least 2 years out of it.

I'll be interested to see how well performance is maintained as they wear.

Let us know you score better with them. Did your scoring improve when you changed to your previous PXG wedges?

Hey, don't think you can get them without a fitting.

3 range sessions + a game, so ~600 hits or so. With the 0311 wedges I've been using them for about a year and a half; but as you can see from the last pic the club is beat up. And on that one I get about 7500-8000spin with half shot (55yards or so) and around 11k on a full 105yards. And the number have not dropped even with the wear.

And with improving scores - it's hard to say. They did improve with I moved to PXG in general. But then again I'm spending at least 4h a week with a coach. So how much was it due clubs vs coaching (i'd put my money on the latter) - it's hard to calculate.

Same with the wedges - as now 95% of the time with a coach is spent not further than 120 yards from the green.

Br,

How was it getting through the rough compared to your old wedges?  That was the main reason I went with the Ping Glide 2.0.  

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

How was it getting through the rough compared to your old wedges?  That was the main reason I went with the Ping Glide 2.0.  

What do you mean rough? As in you're suggesting I'm not hitting the fairway every time? :) 

They're ok. But so where my old wedges tbh. Nothing to complain about. But its quite rare for me to go for a high lofted wedge in the rough anyway.

Archived