Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

How hand position in setup effects takeaway

As I have been waiting for the snow to melt here in Idaho I have been doing a lot of fine tuning with my golf swing. Yesterday I came across something in my setup that is not talked about much. Hand position. Not how high or low the hands are but how far or close they are from my left thigh. I am a righty. If my hands are towards the middle, like below the belt buckle I noticed that when the club is parallel to the ground in the backswing the club is outside of my hands. If my hands are to far forward, say on top of my left thigh when the club is parallel to the ground in the backswing the club is inside of my hands. The interesting thing is that when I place my hands just inside my left thigh at setup the club is neither inside or outside but perfectly straight when it is parallel to the ground. This is for every club in the bag. I actually went out and struck a few on my simulator and contact was pure, ball flight was straight with a tiny draw. The other thing is that the face angle at address looks dead square now. It seems to also effect shoulder alignment and spine tilt. Has anyone else out there had any experience with this?

Sticks:

Titleist 915D3 8.5 Graffaloy Pro Launch Red 65X

Titleist 915F Aldila NV 95 S Flex 3 Wood

Titleist 915H Aldila NV 105 S Flex 21 degree hybrid

Mizuno MP69 Dynamic Gold S300 Standard Length 2 up 3-PW

Cleveland RTX 54, Titleist SM4 48, Mizuno MP-T4 58

Odyssey 2 ball cs Superstroke 3.0 slim

Callaway Chrome Soft (2016)

My current teacher uses video and from a variety of angles. I was surprised at my set up. It's much more neutral, as you described, than I thought.

I asked my teacher if my hands shouldn't be more forward and his reply was there isn't a think about your set up that I would change. In fact I will use this picture to get other people properly set up in future lessons.

It does matter

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'm going to assume you had video in slow motion to ascertain these positions with your hands. Especially as you're actually moving through your swing at regular speed. I can simulate my position at various points in my swing. But do I truly replicate that when I make a full swing? Only video or stop action will reveal that to me. 

Matchplay you've made some good points in your post. I haven't in quite some time taken a good look at my swing, setup, etc. using video but I know from the past it's very revealing. As the saying goes... what you feel (or think) isn't real.

For those that might be interested.... Michael Breed has a book titled, A Picture Perfect Swing. It's very good describing how to properly video your swing.

Good post Matchplay.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I'm going to assume you had video in slow motion to ascertain these positions with your hands. Especially as you're actually moving through your swing at regular speed. I can simulate my position at various points in my swing. But do I truly replicate that when I make a full swing? Only video or stop action will reveal that to me.

Matchplay you've made some good points in your post. I haven't in quite some time taken a good look at my swing, setup, etc. using video but I know from the past it's very revealing. As the saying goes... what you feel (or think) isn't real.

For those that might be interested.... Michael Breed has a book titled, A Picture Perfect Swing. It's very good describing how to properly video your swing.

Good post Matchplay.

Thanks PlaidJacket

This has everything to do with setup and the position during the takeaway where the club shaft is parallel to the target line. Nothing else. If my hands are positioned correctly at setup the shaft of the club is straight down my stance line from a down the line view not inside or outside. Which I believe helps me set the club correctly at the top.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Sticks:

Thanks PlaidJacket

This has everything to do with setup and the position during the takeaway where the club shaft is parallel to the target line. Nothing else. If my hands are positioned correctly at setup the shaft of the club is straight down my stance line from a down the line view not inside or outside. Which I believe helps me set the club correctly at the top.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

This was my teacher's point - good hand position at set up makes it far easier to swing the club properly - good grip, good lines, proper hand positions - of course a good athlete can overcome deficiencies in these areas but why would anyone want to put themselves through that?

Great post at the perfect time of the year for lots of guys here - you could actually work on this in front of a mirror.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

This was my teacher's point - good hand position at set up makes it far easier to swing the club properly - good grip, good lines, proper hand positions - of course a good athlete can overcome deficiencies in these areas but why would anyone want to put themselves through that?

Great post at the perfect time of the year for lots of guys here - you could actually work on this in front of a mirror.

Thanks revkev. I hope it helps someone get back into the swing of things. It sure is helping me.

Sticks:

• 3 weeks later...

Nice posts.I also agree that hand position at setup is a huge key to a great strike.Its something I started monitoring on video a few years ago.Ive started looking at two view -dtl + front on.Always makes sure my hands are neve drooping or lowering the handle dtl.Which shows me I'm slouching as well which is one of my faults needed monitoring.From front on I avoid the way forward setup.And actually play my best with hands behind the clubhead giving me that lead lag takeaway I love.

• 2 weeks later...

The guy that teaches my daughters will have them vary their hand position at address. It's amazing how moving the position a half an inch will make a huge impact on the takeaway. It's like night and day.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Archived