GolfSpy STUDque

{Article} Golf Channel cameramen walk out on coverage amid Sony Open

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/109464924

Did any of you guys that watched Sunday's coverage notice this? I'm guessing they just devoted all attention to the leaders (which would've happened anyway) but am curious if there was a noticeable degradation in the coverage.

I no longer have Golf Channel which is a little bit of a sore spot, but I wonder if this will have any effect on their future coverage.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

I never watched any of the Sony. From news reports the TV coverage was going to be minimal. Not sure how that came across on GC.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Yeah. This is great for the game...

I'm fairness, Golf Channel was already on rocky footing anyway. I think NBC's backing will keep them afloat for a while but they're really going to need to make some changes if they want significant eyeballs on their programming.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

I watched it yesterday and except for a few hiccups there wasn't a noticeable difference.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

I watched it yesterday and except for a few hiccups there wasn't a noticeable difference.

Me too. Wasn't too bad. Except the commercials. My only real complaint is the featured groups. If a dude is lighting up the course at -6 / -9 I don't care about the leaders until the last few holes. Find the guy that is making the shots and follow that group.

• Like 1

I watched the playoff and you could tell that they didn't have the normal cameras or normal camera shots. Even the announcers seemed a bit off. It was not a good look for the golf channel.

• Like 3

You could tell a difference especially with them showing tee shots from the blimp. You couldn't follow shots at all.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 4

It was horrible coverage. My wife even said that it was really bad. The announcing was dry and no good at all. It made the Golf channel look like a bunch of idiots.

• Like 3

It was horrible coverage. My wife even said that it was really bad. The announcing was dry and no good at all. It made the Golf channel look like a bunch of idiots.

Announcing is a whole nother subject. They were very horrible and had no clue what to say they kept saying the same thing over and over nothing new ever.

• Like 1

Did they say anything about the strike during the broadcast or was it just an unpleasant surprise to the viewers?

• Like 1

They better get it resolved before the Farmer's Insurance Open...  just sayin'!!

• Like 2

To me it was quite obvious there was much amiss. Mediocre in-flight ball tracking and proximity framing on greens complexes; along with the absence of the A-team commentators made for very lackluster final round coverage. I've been fighting the flu and didn't care enough at the time to do any digging; but short notice scabs filling in for the regular talent perfectly explains what I witnessed.

The 90 minute sudden death playoff certainly didn't do the B-team any favors. They flat ran out of things to say and ended up sounding like a booth full of parrots. Sad stuff.

• Like 3

Did they say anything about the strike during the broadcast or was it just an unpleasant surprise to the viewers?

They did (very) briefly mention it during the beginning of the show. Didn't say who replaced them just that they were on strike.

It also affected the web.com tour and the Diamond Resorts Invitational tournaments.  Since Diamond Resorts paid GC for coverage, I wonder if they will get 1/3 of their money back for lack of coverage.

• Like 1

It also affected the web.com tour and the Diamond Resorts Invitational tournaments. Since Diamond Resorts paid GC for coverage, I wonder if they will get 1/3 of their money back for lack of coverage.

That's a good question.

I was watching the playoffs, as someone said tee offs were from the blimp.

Thought it was weird being a playoff and the camera was that far away.

• Like 1

I watched the playoff and wondered what was going on. It was as ridiculous. Particularly it was ridiculous not knowing what was going on.

• Like 1