Tony Covey MGS

Gratuitous Picture Thread - PING G700 Irons

These look well built. Just take me some time to get over a 52° SW.

Great pictures again Tony, and a great write up!

• Like 1

Looks very similar to the TMag 790. 

Great photos, as usual

• Like 2

Looks very similar to the TMag 790. 

Great photos, as usual

It's funny, I didn't see it until Adam mentioned it. There's definitely a resemblance, but I'd argue it also looks like it belongs alongside the i200, and definitely the iBlade, so in that respect, it's a continuation of what PING was already doing.

• Like 1

Love those pics Tony!!  Thanks!

Yeah, the 790 resemblance jumped out to me.  I see a bit of the Iblade and i200 look as well, and could see how a longer G700 iron might fit an i200 players bag at the top end.  

But I'm just so impressed by the looks of these and the play ability  you mention they have.   The rep from TMAG told me the 790's are perfectly playable up to a 16 HC.   i'm outside that by a shot, but I will definitely be giving these a good look. 

• Like 1

Great pics and I'm thinking these irons could be sweet! I love the sleek simple look.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

These look pretty nice for a GI.

Wow... I love the look of these. Simple and just really well finished. Can't wait to hit them!

I don't know who I'm more upset with - Ping for making these or T for writing about them.

Just when I thought that portion of my bag was safe for another season....

• Like 4

Really curious to see what the launch and spin numbers are for most people.  When I see distance iron, I immediately think low spin, which is no bueno for me.

I do have to say that these look a lot better than the crossover, so they would be a pretty solid option as long iron replacement

• Like 2

These look really cool, just like the similar Taylor Made offering last year. A 52* Sand Wedge though? I can just see it now, in 5 years we will need another wedge to “gap” the distances made by lowering lofts.

Pitching Wedge 42-44*

Gap Wedge 46-48*

Sand Wedge 50-52*

Lob wedge 54-56*

Flop Wedge 58-60*

Were does it end? Soon manufacturers will no longer sell “iron sets” but “wedge sets”. Long irons will be bought piece meal like we purchase wedges now. The days of 3-PW or 4-GW will be gone. Maybe they will call their new 8,9,PW, GW, SW, LW, (Flop) FW sets “Scoring Sets”.

Actually, now that I think about it, It will never end.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

I've said it before and I will say it again: Who cares what number is on the bottom of the club

Irons are about precision and gapping. I want 12ish yard gaps from my 100 yard club to my furthest carrying iron.  I don't care if they call my 100 yard club a sand wedge, an 8 iron, or a unicorn.  I know what distance it goes and I know what the rest of my clubs go.

Getting tied up into how far a ball carries based on the number stamped on the bottom is foolish and is feeding directly into big box launch monitor driven marketing.

• Like 7

I've said it before and I will say it again: Who cares what number is on the bottom of the club

Irons are about precision and gapping. I want 12ish yard gaps from my 100 yard club to my furthest carrying iron. I don't care if they call my 100 yard club a sand wedge, an 8 iron, or a unicorn. I know what distance it goes and I know what the rest of my clubs go.

Getting tied up into how far a ball carries based on the number stamped on the bottom is foolish and is feeding directly into big box launch monitor driven marketing.

Exactly!

• Like 1

Irons are about precision and gapping. I want 12ish yard gaps from my 100 yard club to my furthest carrying iron. I don't care if they call my 100 yard club a sand wedge, an 8 iron, or a unicorn. I know what distance it goes and I know what the rest of my clubs go.

Spot on

I will say though that a 42 degree PW even shocked me. I would have revolted against that five years ago. :)

These are really really well done.  Very nice to look at and a beautiful subtle design.  (I'm probably biased since I have the Glide 2.0 wedges which have the same hydropearl coating)

I do wonder what Karsten Solheim would say were he alive today.  Would he be thrilled or disappointed with the direction that Ping seems to have gone in the last few years with their iron design and aesthetics.

As someone who started with Ping (as some of you also might have) this is a huge difference (and upgrade!) from models of years past.

Can't wait to hear more about these and see how the testing goes.

OH - one thing I am quite curious about is how customizable those little screws that go in the toe are.  They certainly seem like they can be removed and swapped out.

• Like 1

Just saw a picture of a “blank” one of these someone has in their bag on tour. Will there be a less GI version of this?? Looked like an iBlade with that screw.

Great looking irons. Can't wait to give them a try.

The hydro pearl finish is beautiful. I really really wanted to like th i200's when I tried them. Ping has really stepped up their aesthetics the last couple of years. Very high end looks now.

• Like 1