It's been 10 years since Rory turned pro.  He was at Dubai in 2008.  Has it really been that long??

He is excited to put 2017 behind him, and is ready to get underway in 2018 in Abu Dhabi at the HSBC this weekend.

However, McIlroy recently revealed "a bit of an irregularity with my heart that I have to keep on top of.  “I have a flat T-wave and I'll have to get an echo [cardiogram] on my heart every six months and an MRI scan every year.  “I suffered a really bad viral infection in China 18 months ago and they told me that's the reason that I have this thickening of my left ventricle and there's a bit of scar tissue. For now, I just need to stay on top of it and have to stay fit. Hey, I was planning on doing that anyway.”

What does 2018 have in store for Rory McIlroy?

• Like 2

Really hoping Rory and Day can have bounce-back years.  Throwing those two into the mix with DJ, Spieth and Thomas would make for some unbelievable golf.

• Like 3

I wish I could answer that.  I hope he stays healthy and on top of his game this year.  Because to me, there's nobody more exciting among the current players, than when Rory is playing at his best.  And Rory at his best is up there with DJ at his best, that ultimately is a shootout I'd love to see coming down the stretch at the US Open one day soon!!  Or perhaps the Masters, as he was in the pursuit of the career Grand Slam. 

• Like 2

Really hoping Rory and Day can have bounce-back years.  Throwing those two into the mix with DJ, Spieth and Thomas would make for some unbelievable golf.

You forgot Tiger!

• Like 3

Here's hoping he can find his game game. Scary when they mention anything with your ticker

I'm not much of a fan.

Sorry to hear about his heart though. Best wishes there. I don't dislike him it's just highly unlikely that there wouldn't be a more sympathetic figure for me in the hunt and I would root for him (or her if it ever comes to that) down the stretch.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

I'm not much of a fan.

Sorry to hear about his heart though. Best wishes there. I don't dislike him it's just highly unlikely that there wouldn't be a more sympathetic figure for me in the hunt and I would root for him (or her if it ever comes to that) down the stretch.

I'm with Revkev on this one

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

He's on the same page of the book as JT and JS for me. Great golfers, just a little too “something”.... Rahm-Hammer is getting close to this page.

• Like 2

I hate watching Rahm play. Puts Tour Sauce on every missed putt, arms out hands to his face or outstretched like he was robbed by the golf gods on a 40 footer that didn't even sniff the hole. Just a little too demonstrative for my tastes.

I want to like Rory but the excuses can get a little old sometimes. He puts on a clinic driving the golf ball though! And I loved it he video Carolina posted the other day of him against the European Tour robot so he does seem to have a good sense of humor.

• Like 1

I'm not a Rory fan once he said he won't play golf for fun any more and that he doesn't care to keep playing past 40. At the rate he is going he won't even make 40 with the injuries he always gets. Rahm does get annoying with the way he acts about every putt. It would be nice if more guys were like DJ and just let it roll off and not bother them. I do like Spieth but him getting frustrated gets annoying sometimes I would rather see him play like he did after the 13th in the open this past year with the fire he had there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I hate watching Rahm play. Puts Tour Sauce on every missed putt, arms out hands to his face or outstretched like he was robbed by the golf gods on a 40 footer that didn't even sniff the hole. Just a little too demonstrative for my tastes.

I want to like Rory but the excuses can get a little old sometimes. He puts on a clinic driving the golf ball though! And I loved it he video Carolina posted the other day of him against the European Tour robot so he does seem to have a good sense of humor.

Yup I'm turned off by Rahm as well. Always rooting for the other guy like last week.

• Like 4

Yup I'm turned off by Rahm as well. Always rooting for the other guy like last week.

Rahm gets on my nerves too. He doesn't hesitate laying out the F bomb in front of the camera & kids either

• Like 5

On the positive side with Rahm...he has a short swing that is easier to try and emulate. I watch it.

• Like 1

Looks like Rory is trying to lose the Dubai tournament today with poor course management. Twist face is also not working well for him. These commentators are idiots, how can you compare the shortgame of Rory to Seve????

Oh the Seve comparisons... I hate them. No one currently playing golf in the world has Seve's ability.

• Like 2

Oh the Seve comparisons... I hate them. No one currently playing golf in the world has Seve's ability.

He's not even in the same universe as Seve.

• Like 2

It's a different game than when Steve played so a tough comparison. Rory is far better tee to green.

It's a different game than when Steve played so a tough comparison. Rory is far better tee to green.

Auto correct got you Rev. I'm not sure which “Steve” you are referring.

• Like 2