Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Long time golfer, first time lesson-er...how do I do it?

I didn't play golf as a kid.

I didn't play golf in high school.

I didn't go to college and enlisted in the military and didn't play golf there.

My first job was in Winston-Salem NC and if you've ever been there you realize quickly there's not much to do.

A buddy lived near a course so we went to Costco and bought a boxed set...and played until it was dark...all the time.

As you can imagine, I'm self taught.

Last year I got a new set of clubs and was fit for everything but the wedges.

This year I'd like to get some lessons but I'm not even sure where to start.

If you've had lessons before...

• how did you find a place/person for your lessons?

• how many lessons did you get?

• looking back on it was there anything you wish you could have done differently?

• what do you think a reasonable price per lesson should be?

• do you feel like the lessons helped at all and were worth it?

Just for reference - I play for fun...not trying to join any tours or win a bunch of tournaments or anything; I just want to see if lessons will help me in any way...or at least give me a foundation which I can build on.

Thanks in advance for any tips/advice/hints/suggestions!

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Your regular course is a great place to start. If they have a “pro” they might be able to point in the right direction. Or at least know of someone that offers lessons. I know the college coach here offered lessons before leaving to a different school. So there is an option, local high school coach?

I haven't taken lessons either. I'm doing the Bubba Watson approach to golf... worked for him, winning the Masters and all.

Edit: I tee'd this up perfectly for someone.

There is one aspect of lessons that you should consider and that's your fit with the instructor and their style. In school you probably remember one teacher that you liked better than another, or perhaps one that took great patience to explain a subject to you - same holds true for golf. Explain your background and what you're trying to accomplish and don't be afraid to talk to several before you decide.

Last time my wife and I were looking for an instructor, we decided on one in particular that spent a good half hour asking about our game, how we learn and what we were looking to accomplish.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I should add that I'm in the Boston suburbs and if anyone has someone in the area that they recommend I'd love to hear it.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Initial comments are all good.  Lessons and instruction are a mixed bag- look around for an instructor who fits your style.  I have been playing since I was 6 or 7- my swing is my swing, and I work full time- dont really have time to change my swing like Tiger or Patrig Harrington- so I needed someone who could work with what I have and help me improve that.  I would suggest you look for someone like that- who treats you as an individual, not some mass market "everyone do this, grip this way, swing this way....blah, blah, blah. 

Try your local club, try local driving ranges, ask folks with whom you play- and see who works best for you!  Enjoy and remember, "Golf is a game that takes a day to learn, and a lifetime to master"

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

Initially, I would suggest "word of mouth" so to speak.   If you happen to be playing with someone that you perceive to have a good game, just say that you are looking for an instructor and do they have any recommendations.   Understand that anyone can claim to be a teaching professional, I've seen it at ranges.  Make sure that you see a PGA certified professional.   Many teaching professionals will offer packages for multiple lessons at a reduced rate.  But I would advise that you first take a single lesson before purchasing such a package.   Do this to make sure that you and the professional fit on a personal level-that you relate each other.  That is that you like them and their teaching methods.  

Archived