Are players irons really only for 'players' ?

StrokerAce

...I'm wondering if I'm 'ready'...

I don't want forgiveness and offset. 

I don't want stability, twisting resistance, expanded sweet spots.

I don't want a clubface that is 'expanded' from from heel to toe.

I don't want shovels.

I want maximum energy transfer.

I want flush shots that feel like they should.

I want smaller and compact.

I want hammers.

When I play a round I'd rather remember it more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worst ones...

At some point when I was learning to ride a bike I felt comfortable enough to take the training wheels off.  Yeah, there were a couple of falls, but I got back up and learned to ride.

I'm ready to take the wheels off.

I'm ready to grow leaps and bounds.

Are you ready to take this journey with me?

Help me ... what's a psychopath to do?

Perhaps the best of both worlds is a combo set with P,9,8 bladelike and 7,6,5 with a cavity design?

Perhaps I'm also a masochist.

Ground rules: It's an experiment.  I'm not going crazy here. Budget is 200. I can find an older set of Mizzy MX-23 or MP32 or some combo of something on the bay in that price range. I'm not married to any brand or company..I'll play anything within reason.

Also - I'm not looking for butter knives...masochism only goes so far.

...and yes, I understand the importance of getting fit and lessons and practice and being a good ball striker and smash factor and all that. 

• Like 8

I got something to say then I'm gonna say it. 

If you want to play “players” irons then by all means do so. Mizuno is probably what comes to my mind as classic players type clubs.

I am not willing to take the journey with you. I like chisag”s post from last week where he says something along the lines of he wants clubs that perform on his best and worst days. I think there are a lot of game improvement clubs that aren't shovels or oversized or have too much offset.

I wish you well in your journey to find the ultimate set of players iron!

• Like 4

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Like Meyer said. I approve 100%. Go for the blades. Full set, 1-PW. Put the time in and you will enjoy them. If not... you'll have a cool story anyways. Forgiveness is over rated.

Nothing better than the sting of a miss hit 2 iron, especially in your neck of the woods, when it gets cold, get some high compression balls when it is 40* or lower and you'll learn to find the sweet spot, or suffer the consequences.

• Like 9

I touched on this a bit in my Mizuno JPX Tour review.  

As GSM said, you first need to play what makes you happy.

Second, you need to play what meets your needs.  Only you can determine what your needs are.  Is it distance? Dispersion? Spin? Playability out of the rough?

I think Mark Crossfield makes some fantastic points on this topic.  I definitely recommend watching some of these videos:

• Like 3

CC5 sig.png

Like Meyer said. I approve 100%. Go for the blades. Full set, 1-PW. Put the time in and you will enjoy them. If not... you'll have a cool story anyways. Forgiveness is over rated.

Nothing better than the sting of a miss hit 2 iron, especially in your neck of the woods, when it gets cold, get some high compression balls when it is 40* or lower and you'll learn to find the sweet spot, or suffer the consequences.

quintessential masochism!

• Like 1

I got something to say then I'm gonna say it. 

One thing I disagree with, no matter how many times people post it, is that blades make you "concentrate more" or "find the sweet spot more often"

• Like 7

CC5 sig.png

One thing I disagree with, no matter how many times people post it, is that blades make you "concentrate more" or "find the sweet spot more often"

I know, we hashed this out before. [emoji3]

• Like 1

Bobby Jones played Hickory butter knives (just the first one that came to mind). My guess is if he played the right course yardage he would give any GI iron player a run for its money.

• Like 2

Play what makes you happy! Mizuno is probably going to be the easiest route to find what you want on eBay. I love the thought of blades, just not the reality of them. If the blades will make you practice more it could have a benefit in that regard. And hey, worst case scenario you are out like $200 and you had fun trying something else.

• Like 2

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

MP-32's!  MP-32!...Love those sticks!

MDGolfHacker

• Like 2

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :cobra-small: F8 9.5° Project X Even Flow Blue 65g shaft 

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 5W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 816H2 19°

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1X

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro

Social Media:

Facebook:   md golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Currently Testing:  2021:titelist-small: T200's (https://forum.mygolfspy.com/tests/19-test-in-progress-titleist-t-series-irons/?do=findReview&review=38)

Best of luck!!  I think it's a journey that many of us have considered and tried.  I know I have.  I agree that nothing feels quite like a well-struck shot with a blade... well, except maybe a bunch of not so well struck shots with a blade!!  I gave it up and went to SGI irons.  I feel much better knowing that my worse shots with SGI irons will end up in much better positions that my worse shots with blades.  

If the game is all about hitting the pure shot, then by all means use blades.  The game I chose is all about shooting my best score.

• Like 4

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Bobby Jones played Hickory butter knives (just the first one that came to mind). My guess is if he played the right course yardage he would give any GI iron player a run for its money.

Of course he would - at any yardage so long as there are not ridiculously long forced carries. He's arguably the greatest golfer ever and at worst in the top five.

Stroker Ace already told us that his goal was not to shoot the lowest score possible. And he gave us his budget. It looks like an older set of Mizuno irons for him.

That would not be the case for me. I want to play some competitive golf again this upcoming fall which means starting to play competitively right after Easter. I will take every advantage that I can get and probably need more. And it is an advantage for players at my level - mid to low single digit - to use some game improvement in their irons.

But this thread is about him and his obtaining his golfing goals. The only justification he needs is that he wants to do it.

Go for it!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 8

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

I have a buddy who is a 15-18 hcp and plays Mizuno blades (can't remember which MP model they are). He hits them just fine.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Go for it.  And Enjoy the journey!   The game at our level is about fun.  Everyone has said it multiple times, it has a tendency to be a catchphrase, Play What You Enjoy, but it really is so true.  

I personally like your idea of the combo sets, that's what I have done with my 718 AP1/AP2  it might be harder to accomplish that on your budget with older clubs, as the manufacturers didn't really start doing this until the past year or two.  Great article by the way in Golf Digest this month about that.   

• Like 5

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

I'd also add that Handicap is a poor indicator of what iron would fit someone best.

100%

I suck at putting, but I'm a heck of an iron/wedge player.

My iron and wedge handicap in my book is 2, putting 15+, woods 10+.

• Like 2