Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Are players irons really only for 'players' ?

StrokerAce

...I'm wondering if I'm 'ready'...

I don't want forgiveness and offset. 

I don't want stability, twisting resistance, expanded sweet spots.

I don't want a clubface that is 'expanded' from from heel to toe.

I don't want shovels.

I want maximum energy transfer.

I want flush shots that feel like they should.

I want smaller and compact.

I want hammers.

When I play a round I'd rather remember it more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worst ones...

At some point when I was learning to ride a bike I felt comfortable enough to take the training wheels off.  Yeah, there were a couple of falls, but I got back up and learned to ride.

I'm ready to take the wheels off.

I'm ready to grow leaps and bounds.

Are you ready to take this journey with me?

Help me ... what's a psychopath to do?

Perhaps the best of both worlds is a combo set with P,9,8 bladelike and 7,6,5 with a cavity design?

Perhaps I'm also a masochist.

Ground rules: It's an experiment.  I'm not going crazy here. Budget is 200. I can find an older set of Mizzy MX-23 or MP32 or some combo of something on the bay in that price range. I'm not married to any brand or company..I'll play anything within reason.

Also - I'm not looking for butter knives...masochism only goes so far.

...and yes, I understand the importance of getting fit and lessons and practice and being a good ball striker and smash factor and all that. 

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots of schools of thought here.  First, play what makes you happy.  If you want a bag with a putter and thirteen 1 irons go for it.  Sounds like it would be a fun experiment and it's not hurting anyone else.

Shankster will most likely approve of this move :)

My personal thought process for my game is to play whatever let's me get the ball in the hole in the least number of strokes.  For me that's not blades.  

There's a reason even guys on tour play cavity back irons.  Look at KJ Choi who just signed with ping.  He's gaming G400 irons.  Golf is hard enough already, if there is a club I can put in my hands that will make the game a little bit easier I'm going to take it.  

As for recommendations.  You can't go wrong with older Mizzy blades.  MP-32 & MP-33 are cult classics.  

To go back to the bike analogy...  Yeah you can take the training wheels off, but it's going to take a lot of practice and training before you're doing backflips in the X Games.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

If you want to play “players” irons then by all means do so. Mizuno is probably what comes to my mind as classic players type clubs.

I am not willing to take the journey with you. I like chisag”s post from last week where he says something along the lines of he wants clubs that perform on his best and worst days. I think there are a lot of game improvement clubs that aren't shovels or oversized or have too much offset.

I wish you well in your journey to find the ultimate set of players iron!

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

HAHA!  Good one... who knows... maybe backflips are in my future.  :)

Great thoughts...thanks for sharing.

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

Bringing a whole new meaning to butter knives....

attachicon.gifIMG_2553.JPG

I could play that.... using both ends!

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

Like Meyer said. I approve 100%. Go for the blades. Full set, 1-PW. Put the time in and you will enjoy them. If not... you'll have a cool story anyways. Forgiveness is over rated.

Nothing better than the sting of a miss hit 2 iron, especially in your neck of the woods, when it gets cold, get some high compression balls when it is 40* or lower and you'll learn to find the sweet spot, or suffer the consequences.

I touched on this a bit in my Mizuno JPX Tour review.  

As GSM said, you first need to play what makes you happy.

Second, you need to play what meets your needs.  Only you can determine what your needs are.  Is it distance? Dispersion? Spin? Playability out of the rough?

I think Mark Crossfield makes some fantastic points on this topic.  I definitely recommend watching some of these videos:

Like Meyer said. I approve 100%. Go for the blades. Full set, 1-PW. Put the time in and you will enjoy them. If not... you'll have a cool story anyways. Forgiveness is over rated.

Nothing better than the sting of a miss hit 2 iron, especially in your neck of the woods, when it gets cold, get some high compression balls when it is 40* or lower and you'll learn to find the sweet spot, or suffer the consequences.

quintessential masochism!

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

One thing I disagree with, no matter how many times people post it, is that blades make you "concentrate more" or "find the sweet spot more often"

Play what makes you happy! Mizuno is probably going to be the easiest route to find what you want on eBay. I love the thought of blades, just not the reality of them. If the blades will make you practice more it could have a benefit in that regard. And hey, worst case scenario you are out like $200 and you had fun trying something else.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

MP-32's!  MP-32!...Love those sticks!

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Best of luck!!  I think it's a journey that many of us have considered and tried.  I know I have.  I agree that nothing feels quite like a well-struck shot with a blade... well, except maybe a bunch of not so well struck shots with a blade!!  I gave it up and went to SGI irons.  I feel much better knowing that my worse shots with SGI irons will end up in much better positions that my worse shots with blades.  

If the game is all about hitting the pure shot, then by all means use blades.  The game I chose is all about shooting my best score.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Bobby Jones played Hickory butter knives (just the first one that came to mind). My guess is if he played the right course yardage he would give any GI iron player a run for its money.

Of course he would - at any yardage so long as there are not ridiculously long forced carries. He's arguably the greatest golfer ever and at worst in the top five.

Stroker Ace already told us that his goal was not to shoot the lowest score possible. And he gave us his budget. It looks like an older set of Mizuno irons for him.

That would not be the case for me. I want to play some competitive golf again this upcoming fall which means starting to play competitively right after Easter. I will take every advantage that I can get and probably need more. And it is an advantage for players at my level - mid to low single digit - to use some game improvement in their irons.

But this thread is about him and his obtaining his golfing goals. The only justification he needs is that he wants to do it.

Go for it!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I have a buddy who is a 15-18 hcp and plays Mizuno blades (can't remember which MP model they are). He hits them just fine.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Go for it.  And Enjoy the journey!   The game at our level is about fun.  Everyone has said it multiple times, it has a tendency to be a catchphrase, Play What You Enjoy, but it really is so true.  

I personally like your idea of the combo sets, that's what I have done with my 718 AP1/AP2  it might be harder to accomplish that on your budget with older clubs, as the manufacturers didn't really start doing this until the past year or two.  Great article by the way in Golf Digest this month about that.   

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Go for it, whats the worst that can happen? 

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

I say find a good combo set and give it a try. Ones you could pick up for under $200 would be the old Tommy Armour 845 EVO irons. They had 2 models the V31 cast and V25 forged.

https://www.2ndswing.com/pv-706332823-tommy-armour-845s-evo-v-31-iron-set-3-pw-project-x-60-steel-stiff-right-handed-3825-in.aspx?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIktWE_sLf2AIVDrjACh1XhQn8EAQYASABEgLbQPD_BwE

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

I'm all for playing what makes you “happy” but it sounds to me like strokerAce is searching for that tuning fork tingle in the loin area. If that is indeed the case, there is no substitute for a well struck forged blade.

However most forged heads with a thinner sole/topline should give the feedback/turf interaction you desire without being overly penal; in addition to eventual fitting adjustability. In the $200 budget neighborhood I would advise you to consider the Adams CMB and Cleveland Ta3 lineups.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

I'm not the greatest player in the world and I play blades mainly because I hate the look of offset. I started playing on Spaulding Executives 3 years ago and played them for the first year. I play wishon 575 they have a small cavity in the back of the long irons. You can find wishon irons cheap on eBay since they are a small brand.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'm not the greatest player in the world and I play blades mainly because I hate the look of offset. I started playing on Spaulding Executives 3 years ago and played them for the first year. I play wishon 575 they have a small cavity in the back of the long irons. You can find wishon irons cheap on eBay since they are a small brand.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

With you on the offset. I had a set of DCi OS and they have a ton of offset. Had to change my swing for the clubs and it messed me up.... big time.

If you really want to play blades there is nothing on an internet forum to talk you out of it.  Get an inexpensive set and try them out.  You might be hooked or after awhile find you can't play with them.  The only way to find out is to jump right in.  If you don't overpay for the used clubs you will get most of your money back if you decide to sell them.  

Mizuno is a very popular choice for forged blades and the used club market will reflect this.  If you find a set you like from a less popular company (most are not lower quality) like Cobra, Adams... the price should be less.  The only downside is the less popular brands might be harder to re-sell.  

Once you find a set let us know how things go.  

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

I would also recommend the Tommy Armour silver scott blades. Picked up a set of them a few years ago new from eBay and they felt awesome! They were in a backup set I had in FL, but I brought it back up a d are currently in my garage.

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

deleted...double post 

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

Must be something in the air. I just picked up an immaculate set of MP 32's last week for $100!! Now if March would just hurry up and get here, my experiment can begin.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Speedzone Xtreme 11.5*

Bio Cell+ 18.5*

G10 24*

Srixon U85 26*

Mizuno MP-32 6-PW

Vokey SM6  52* and 58*

Scotty Cameron Select GoLo 

Taylormade TP5x

I'm on Instagram as @sharpened_development_llc

I think every golfer of every level should try blades AND persimmon woods at least once in their golfing career. The feel of a pured blade or actual wood wood is something all golfers should experience. There is nothing like the feeling of either.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Archived