Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Are players irons really only for 'players' ?

StrokerAce

You touched on one of my biggest pet peeves about my fellow amateur golfers: They think they hit the ball too high.  I have had people comment that my ball flight is too high, yet when my 4 iron from 210 yards away lands pin high and only releases a few yards they look at me like I am some sort of warlock.

... I have played with 2 golfers in 35 years that hit the ball too high. And one of those was borderline. The other had about a 115 clubbed speed and flipped his wrists when hitting irons just spinning the he!! out of the ball and hitting it higher than anyone I have seen. Tried to work with him to reduce his wrist action and attempt to get some forward lean but he was pretty stubborn. Into the wind he was a disaster and he lives in Texas! 

... The 23yr old "kid" I played with last month that is the #1 player for his college team and thinking of trying to make a go of it on tour hit a 4 iron 254 over water to 10 feet and it was higher than my sw. Many would think it was too high but it was just majestic. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been able to narrow down the list within my budget....

• Mizuno MP53, 54, 59
  • Adams CMB
  • Cobra Fly Z+

Found a set of Adams CMB with Aldila VS Proto "By You" 85 XStiff graphite shafts that REALLY have my interest piqued.  They are .50" long but I could just pull the grips and trim the butt of the shaft down to make them standard.

Has anyone played any of the models above?  Any good/bad thoughts you want to share.  Looking for a good players iron with a wee bit of forgiveness.

Anyone try that shaft in their irons before?

P.S. As hard as I try I cannot find very much AT ALL about KZG.  They seem to have a really loyal following (similar to Maltby) and there is a set of "Forged II-M" out there that I've been looking at.

Any KZG guys out here that have tried the Forged II-M?

P.S.S. - If there's a set I really like and it is x inches longer than standard is there anything wrong with pulling the grips and butt trimming to standard length?  Will that change any of the other properties of the club?

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

• Mizuno MP53, 54, 59
  • Adams CMB
  • Cobra Fly Z+

Found a set of Adams CMB with Aldila VS Proto "By You" 85 XStiff graphite shafts that REALLY have my interest piqued. They are .50" long but I could just pull the grips and trim the butt of the shaft down to make them standard.

Has anyone played any of the models above? Any good/bad thoughts you want to share. Looking for a good players iron with a wee bit of forgiveness.

P.S. As hard as I try I cannot find very much AT ALL about KZG. They seem to have a really loyal following (similar to Maltby) and there is a set of "Forged II-M" out there that I've been looking at.

P.S.S. - If there's a set I really like and it is x inches longer than standard is there anything wrong with pulling the grips and butt trimming to standard length? Will that change any of the other properties of the club?

• Mizuno MP53, 54, 59
  • Adams CMB
  • Cobra Fly Z+

Found a set of Adams CMB with Aldila VS Proto "By You" 85 XStiff graphite shafts that REALLY have my interest piqued.  They are .50" long but I could just pull the grips and trim the butt of the shaft down to make them standard.[/size]

Has anyone played any of the models above?  Any good/bad thoughts you want to share.  Looking for a good players iron with a wee bit of forgiveness.[/size]

Anyone try that shaft in their irons before?[/size]

P.S. As hard as I try I cannot find very much AT ALL about KZG.  They seem to have a really loyal following (similar to Maltby) and there is a set of "Forged II-M" out there that I've been looking at.[/size]

Any KZG guys out here that have tried the Forged II-M?[/size]

P.S.S. - If there's a set I really like and it is x inches longer than standard is there anything wrong with pulling the grips and butt trimming to standard length?  Will that change any of the other properties of the club?

Butt trimming shouldn't have any real impact on flex. A slight change in swing weight (lighter) but that's about all. If you really like the swing weight you can always use a lighter weight grip or lead tape on the head.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

• Mizuno MP53, 54, 59
  • Adams CMB
  • Cobra Fly Z+

Found a set of Adams CMB with Aldila VS Proto "By You" 85 XStiff graphite shafts that REALLY have my interest piqued.  They are .50" long but I could just pull the grips and trim the butt of the shaft down to make them standard.

Has anyone played any of the models above?  Any good/bad thoughts you want to share.  Looking for a good players iron with a wee bit of forgiveness.

P.S. As hard as I try I cannot find very much AT ALL about KZG.  They seem to have a really loyal following (similar to Maltby) and there is a set of "Forged II-M" out there that I've been looking at.

... Since switching to graphite in my irons I have played mine at .5 long. Also keep in mind there is no standard for iron length anymore. Fly Z+ 7 iron is 37.25" and the P790 7 iron is 36.75" and between them is the 718 AP2 7 iron at 37". So .50 should not be a problem for you.

... I have played the MP59's and really liked them. But my favorite players irons that do exactly what you describe and offer "a wee bit of forgiveness" are the Fly Z+. I think they are the perfect size and just about the perfect shape. And they feel great. I played the Amp Forged, then the Fly Z+ and now the Forged Tours. Pretty much cosmetic differences only so any of them are as good as the others. I will say they have a cult like following among better players. I have put several other sets in my bag and quickly come back to the Cobra's. I have not played the CMB's, MP53/54 but hit them several times. I did play a MP53 3 iron with my MP59's.  

... Everyone is different, but I love the VS Proto 100 shafts. I have been playing graphite in my irons for about 15 years and would never go back to steel. Currently playing Recoil 95's after a set of Steelfiber 95's and before that some NV 105 Pro's. For me, the VS Proto 85's were just too light and it effected my tempo. You may love them as they are excellent shafts, but I would hit them before purchasing unless you have hit light weight shafts before and they work for you. Like I said, everyone is different. If you decide to go with them, I would definitely play them awhile before trimming the .50 from the butt end. 

... All the irons you are looking at are excellent irons and you can't make a mistake choosing any of them.

... Since switching to graphite in my irons I have played mine at .5 long. Also keep in mind there is no standard for iron length anymore. Fly Z+ 7 iron is 37.25" and the P790 7 iron is 36.75" and between them is the 718 AP2 7 iron at 37". So .50 should not be a problem for you.

... I have played the MP59's and really liked them. But my favorite players irons that do exactly what you describe and offer "a wee bit of forgiveness" are the Fly Z+. I think they are the perfect size and just about the perfect shape. And they feel great. I played the Amp Forged, then the Fly Z+ and now the Forged Tours. Pretty much cosmetic differences only so any of them are as good as the others. I will say they have a cult like following among better players. I have put several other sets in my bag and quickly come bak to the Cobra's. I have not played the CMB's, MP53/54 but hit them several times. I did play a MP53 3 iron with my MP59's.  

... Everyone is different, but I love the VS Proto 100 shafts. I have been playing graphite in my irons for about 15 years and would never go back to steel. Currently playing Recoil 95's after a set of Steelfiber 95's and before that some NV 105 Pro's. For me, the VS Proto 85's were just too light and it effected my tempo. You may love them as they are excellent shafts, but I wold hit them before purchasing unless you have hit light weight shafts before and they work for you. Like I said, everyone is different. If you decide to go with them, I would definitely play them awhile before trimming the .50 from the butt end. 

... All the irons you are looking at are excellent irons and you can't make a mistake choosing any of them.

Perfect!  Exactly the kind of info I was looking for.  Thanks so much chisag.  You and your knowledge are very much appreciated.  Thanks for sharing.

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

Torn between an MP59 (4-P) set with KBS Tour stiff and Fly Z+ (5-P) with dynalite gold XP S300....

Although the MP 59 comes with an extra club (4i), I'm leaning towards the Fly Z+ right now...

Cost seems like it will be relatively the same.

Thoughts/Opinions/Feelings ??

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

Be careful on the shafts. They will likely play and feel very different. No guessing how your swing will react to them differences

I was fitted for XP 90 (or 95?) stiff shafts and my understanding is that the KBS Tour 90 stiff as well as the Dynalite are quite similar.

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

I was fitted for XP 90 (or 95?) stiff shafts and my understanding is that the KBS Tour 90 stiff as well as the Dynalite are quite similar.

The Dynalite Gold XP S300 is about 120 grams

The KBS Tour is 120 grams

Both are very different than that KBS Tour 90 and XP 90. They have different kick points and will produce very different ball flights

Found a set of 59's (3-PW) that have been played like 4 rounds but they have Dynamic Gold R300 shafts...  can get em pretty cheap I think...  :unsure:  :blink:  :unsure:

But those DG R300 are heavy (127g) and give a LOW ball flight according to their website.  I seem to balloon the ball with my xp95's though.

Would be nice if I knew someone who plays them...

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

R300s will feel a lot heavier and definitely produce a lower ball flight with less spin

Coming from someone who has previously stated that they've never met someone who hits the ball TOO high this doesn't sound like a good thing...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

You also have to remember that these players style irons are going to launch lower than a game improvement set. So a lower launching shaft and head could cause issues for people that do not generate enough clubhead speed to create ideal launch conditions.

You also have to remember that these players style irons are going to launch lower than a game improvement set. So a lower launching shaft and head could cause issues for people that do not generate enough clubhead speed to create ideal launch conditions.

Good point. I hadn't really thought about that.

Got this at a demo day a couple years ago. Can't find an 850 forged in my $ range but the shaft is interesting...seems like I'm between a S and R due to the soft step??IMG_20180216_171702102.jpg

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

As much as I love the Cobra MB's, the combo of the MB and the C-Taper shaft is almost un-hittable, if I were to lick these irons I'd go with the KBS tour, I'd imagine they'd be dang near perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

C Taper is definitely a big boy shaft. KBS Tour is definitely a good middle ground. Another to look at in that weight range would be the Project X LZ steel.

As much as I love the Cobra MB's, the combo of the MB and the C-Taper shaft is almost un-hittable, if I were to lick these irons I'd go with the KBS tour, I'd imagine they'd be dang near perfect.

Yeah...these Z+ aren't CTaper... tried those and knew after 1 swing that shaft wasn't for me...no matter how pretty it looks.

My current shaft is XP 95 and KBS Tour 90 seems to be the closest...

But I really want those Cobras.

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

C Taper is definitely a big boy shaft. KBS Tour is definitely a good middle ground. Another to look at in that weight range would be the Project X LZ steel.

I like the feel of the shaft. Just a tad low when that combo is paired up. I'd probably love them in my current gamers or the iBlade. That might be a deadly combo.

Yeah...these Z+ aren't CTaper... tried those and knew after 1 swing that shaft wasn't for me...no matter how pretty it looks.

My current shaft is XP 95 and KBS Tour 90 seems to be the closest...

But I really want those Cobras.

Best thing to do when you really want them is to just buy it. That's why I'm still on the fence.

...I'm wondering if I'm 'ready'...

I don't want forgiveness and offset.

I don't want stability, twisting resistance, expanded sweet spots.

I don't want a clubface that is 'expanded' from from heel to toe.

I don't want shovels.

I want maximum energy transfer.

I want flush shots that feel like they should.

I want smaller and compact.

I want hammers.

When I play a round I'd rather remember it more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worst ones...

At some point when I was learning to ride a bike I felt comfortable enough to take the training wheels off. Yeah, there were a couple of falls, but I got back up and learned to ride.

I'm ready to take the wheels off.

I'm ready to grow leaps and bounds.

Are you ready to take this journey with me?

Help me ... what's a psychopath to do?

Perhaps the best of both worlds is a combo set with P,9,8 bladelike and 7,6,5 with a cavity design?

Perhaps I'm also a masochist.

Ground rules: It's an experiment. I'm not going crazy here. Budget is 200. I can find an older set of Mizzy MX-23 or MP32 or some combo of something on the bay in that price range. I'm not married to any brand or company..I'll play anything within reason.

Also - I'm not looking for butter knives...masochism only goes so far.

...and yes, I understand the importance of getting fit and lessons and practice and being a good ball striker and smash factor and all that.

Try to find a set of old Titleist 735s if you can. Very nice split set (blades, mid-cavity and full cavity) and they feel amazing. Had mine for 10 years almost.

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

Best thing to do when you really want them is to just buy it. That's why I'm still on the fence.

Did it...

Cobra Fly-Z+ Forged Iron Set 5-PW DynaLite Gold XP S300 Stiff Flex Steel RH

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

Did it...

Cobra Fly-Z+ Forged Iron Set 5-PW DynaLite Gold XP S300 Stiff Flex Steel RH[/size]

Good for you Stroker. Hope they work out well for you.

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

Good for you Stroker. Hope they work out well for you.

Thanks! Now I just need the snow to move on down the road so I can use them...

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

Did it...

I have been looking at these on eBay for about a year.  My Fly-Z+ driver is working so well for me thought the irons would be just as good.  When it warms up let us know how they work out. 

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

I have been looking at these on eBay for about a year. My Fly-Z+ driver is working so well for me thought the irons would be just as good. When it warms up let us know how they work out.

I was on the fence between these, some Mizuno and the Wilson FG Tour. Heard a lot of good things about these so I'm hoping they live up to the hype!

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

Did it...

.... I think I have posted this before but I think the Amp Forged/Fly Z+/Forged Tours are the best all round players iron ever made. Between regular and mid size, beautiful head shape, nice sweet and soft multi-material forged feel, very accurate and consistent. You can work them as much as you have the ability to do so, both high and low as well as side to side. But they are also pretty straight for the player that just wants a forgiving players iron and does not want to work the ball. They are very forgiving of slight misses but anything worse and you are punished more than a GI. I always said "Everything the better player wants and everything the aspiring better player needs". 

... I will add these are a secret gem among those in the industry. When Cobra discontinued the Fly Z+ a year before re-releasing them as the Forged Tours, not only did Cobra get an earful from many working PGA Pro's and Clubfitters, Jose Miraflor Director Of Product marketing and other Engineers staged an internal protest and they were brought back into the line up. I think it is crazy that Cobra has never really marketed them, yet they have a cult like following among better players. Good luck with your new irons! 

.... I think I have posted this before but I think the Amp Forged/Fly Z+/Forged Tours are the best all round players iron ever made. Between regular and mid size, beautiful head shape, nice sweet and soft multi-material forged feel, very accurate and consistent. You can work them as much as you have the ability to do so, both high and low as well as side to side. But they are also pretty straight for the player that just wants a forgiving players iron and does not want to work the ball. They are very forgiving of slight misses but anything worse and you are punished more than a GI. I always said "Everything the better player wants and everything the aspiring better player needs". 

... I will add these are a secret gem among those in the industry. When Cobra discontinued the Fly Z+ a year before re-releasing them as the Forged Tours, not only did Cobra get an earful from many working PGA Pro's and Clubfitters, Jose Miraflor Director Of Product marketing and other Engineers staged an internal protest and they were brought back into the line up. I think it is crazy that Cobra has never really marketed them, yet they have a cult like following among better players. Good luck with your new irons! 

Thank you sir!  Your opinion and advice played a very large part in my decision and I really appreciate you sharing your insight and wisdom.

I can't wait to get them out on the course.

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

Archived