Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Are players irons really only for 'players' ?

StrokerAce

Stroker, this thread has motivated me. I am really really wanting to pick up a used set of these "players" irons and try my hand at them. The only thing stopping me pulling the trigger is that divorce is expensive :)

I have enjoyed reading this thread and may live vicariously through you for a little while! I have been looking at some mizunos, got a great lead on some MP-25's

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You should play irons that you feel comfortable playing. At the end of the day it's your money and golf game.

With that said I believe everyone should try all the different types to see what fits them best. Golf is already hard enough we shouldn't be looking for ways to make it harder lol.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Everyone should try a blade once. You might be surprised.

I loved my Mizuno MP-32s. Don't know why I ever got rid of them...

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Everyone should try a blade once. You might be surprised.

... I agree it is something all golfers should experience at least once. And if you have the opportunity to play a full round with them, even more fun. But I will add just be honest in your ball striking assessment. I have seen too many hit someone else's MB or hit a set on the range and fall in love with the feel and the pride that goes with hitting them well. But hitting them well at the range and hitting them well on the course are just radically different.

1. You groove a swing at the range hitting the same iron, in the same stance at the same target. Aside from having a perfect lie and stance, after hitting a driver and jumping in a cart or pushing your cart to your drive, figuring the distance and hitting a MB 6 iron to a specific target is just light years different than being in a groove at the range.

2. And I cannot over state this but when hitting a shot at the range it doesn't count and your brain is well aware of that. You take a full hearty swing and if you hit a bad shot, you simply tee up another ball and swing freely a second time. When you are on the course the shot counts very much so we tend to get tight or guide the shot or just take a bad swing and this is when golfers need all the help they can get. Obviously some need more help than others, but even at the PGA Tour level, most have at least perimeter weighted players irons in their bags. 

... It is the very rare individual that can play their best golf with MB's. Maybe it is only a couple shots a round, but those shots can make a huge difference in your score.  I would never try and talk someone out of playing MB's if they already do and enjoy playing them. But I would advise anyone looking to move to a MB to just be very honest about their ability to hit the center of the club face under pressure. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

Play what makes you want to play or practice when you look at your sticks.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I love my blades I'm changing my swing a little and its helping me hit them better. The mis hits hurt more than with GI so I actually have been hitting irons crisper than I ever have.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Marketing told you that you need something different.

Yeah ☹️ and that dang inside voice said I needed something more forgiving since I wasn't going to practice as much when the new baby was born. Went to callaway X-20s! Probably biggest golf club mistake I ever made. And in PX 6.0 which didn't fit my swing! Ah well, live and learn...

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

Try finding Wilson staff fg tour V2 iron set, I played these as my "transition" clubs. They have great feel, compact and look good. They are a players CB and you can do some serious working the ball with these if that's what your after.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Srixon Z785 8.5* Ventus 7X/Tensei Orange Pro TX70 

Callaway GBB Epic SZ 14* 42.5" Fuji Speeder Pro Tour Spec X 75

Wilson Staff Blades 3-PW TT DG120 X100

Cleveland RTX-RC 50/54/58 

Evnroll  ER2

Srixon  Z star XV

Golf Pride MCC

+10 this ^

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

Yeah ☹️ and that dang inside voice said I needed something more forgiving since I wasn't going to practice as much when the new baby was born. Went to callaway X-20s! Probably biggest golf club mistake I ever made. And in PX 6.0 which didn't fit my swing! Ah well, live and learn...

MDGolfHacker

My x20s were the biggest mistake I made in club selection too.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

... I agree it is something all golfers should experience at least once. And if you have the opportunity to play a full round with them, even more fun. But I will add just be honest in your ball striking assessment. I have seen too many hit someone else's MB or hit a set on the range and fall in love with the feel and the pride that goes with hitting them well. But hitting them well at the range and hitting them well on the course are just radically different.

1. You groove a swing at the range hitting the same iron, in the same stance at the same target. Aside from having a perfect lie and stance, after hitting a driver and jumping in a cart or pushing your cart to your drive, figuring the distance and hitting a MB 6 iron to a specific target is just light years different than being in a groove at the range.

2. And I cannot over state this but when hitting a shot at the range it doesn't count and your brain is well aware of that. You take a full hearty swing and if you hit a bad shot, you simply tee up another ball and swing freely a second time. When you are on the course the shot counts very much so we tend to get tight or guide the shot or just take a bad swing and this is when golfers need all the help they can get. Obviously some need more help than others, but even at the PGA Tour level, most have at least perimeter weighted players irons in their bags.

... It is the very rare individual that can play their best golf with MB's. Maybe it is only a couple shots a round, but those shots can make a huge difference in your score. I would never try and talk someone out of playing MB's if they already do and enjoy playing them. But I would advise anyone looking to move to a MB to just be very honest about their ability to hit the center of the club face under pressure.

Finally - someone else expresses it! I know that most of the people in this thread believe he is the one who should be playing blades or a Player's MB.

Here's a player, a plus handicap, who has been a teaching pro. I suspect that if you went to your teacher, who knows your swing, he'd give the same advice. Notice the important fact the even guys on tour have some help in their irons.

Now if for fun you want to play Player's Irons because they make you feel good, by all means, please do. Golf is meant to be fun.

But be honest with us about that and particularly be honest to someone asking about advice.

And you guys will laugh that I had a dream about irons. I ordered some on eBay without ever hearing about them or seeing them. When they arrived they were the ugliest things ever.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

The second question is “How many Pros are now playing GI irons?”

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

The second question is “How many Pros are now playing GI irons?”

... I don't think that is really a question at that level. Even on the LPGA Tour. GI irons not only help with more than slight mishits but almost always produce a higher trajectory, technology many higher index players can take advantage of, but players at the highest level have only slight mishits and more often than not want to flight the ball lower. Obviously there are exceptions and you will see some GI irons on the Pro Tours, but mostly players irons. Irons that provide some forgiveness on slight mishits with perimeter weighting and some of the more forgiving models provide a hair more weight in the sole to provide a slight increase in trajectory. I think the big difference between players irons and GI irons are PI's have smaller heads for some workability, a higher CG for trajectory control and more often than not, forged carbon steel for feel. 

Finally - someone else expresses it! I know that most of the people in this thread believe he is the one who should be playing blades or a Player's MB.

Here's a player, a plus handicap, who has been a teaching pro. I suspect that if you went to your teacher, who knows your swing, he'd give the same advice. Notice the important fact the even guys on tour have some help in their irons.

Now if for fun you want to play Player's Irons because they make you feel good, by all means, please do. Golf is meant to be fun.

But be honest with us about that and particularly be honest to someone asking about advice.

And you guys will laugh that I had a dream about irons. I ordered some on eBay without ever hearing about them or seeing them. When they arrived they were the ugliest things ever.

They were probably VAS irons... 😂 And you woke up in a pool for sweat after that nightmare, right 😂

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

Bad weather at home today and had the day off so I drove to Greensburg Pa and went to a golf shop that has an indoor range.  I compared two clubs to my traditional Hogan Radials which are very much like a true bladed iron but with a bit more weight in the bottom center.  My Hogans were made sometime in the late 1980's  I got them as a gift in 1989.  Although i took almost 20 years off regular Golf these have been my primary Irons since thin.  I thoughts as a rule that I hit them well and really like them.  However when compared to modern clubs under objective circumstances they don't compare well.  

I started with a long warm up with my own clubs, then I tried a  7 iron Ping I200 and a 7 iron in the new G700.  Objectively I could hit my Hogan 6 iron the same distance as the Ping I200, about 150 yards.  However if I missed the ball a little off center my Hogans were dropping as much as 20 yards distance on a mishit. As long as I did not hit behind the ball or hit it thin the I200 shots were within 10 yards or less no matter where in the face I hit the ball.  My goods shots were going in the range of 150 yards.  I think with my Radials when directly comparing similar clubs, I hit one perfect shot that went 150 yards, most were going 140 to 145 some were even shorter.  The dispersion with the I200 was much lower.  

I tried the G700 last, I just looked at the lofts and it is more like my 5 iron in terms of loft as the loft angles are more aggressive on the g700 than the i200.  By the time I started hitting the G700's I was getting tired so my distances were coming down.  I had been hitting for over an hour by the time I got to these.  The shots were laser straight and going consistently about 5 yards left.  The fitter had me slightly strengthen my grip and then my shots shifted down the line and to the right.  These were very straight hitting.  

I liked the I200 the best of the two personally.  They are very close on look and feel at address, the G700 is a bit thicker in the top line.  I just marginally liked the feel of the I200 a bit more.  

I found the modern clubs to be much more consistent shot to shot than my traditional irons.  So to the point of the post I am replying to, any descent golfer can hit "players irons".  However most of us are simply going to play better with modern club designs.  I think I would play better with the Ping Irons without a doubt.

Driver Taylor Made M2 Ping G 3 wood 14.5 loftPing G hybrid 19Hogan Radial 3-PW(forged circa 1989)Evnroll ER2, Golf bag, old and worn out circa 1989

We hear a lot about how good a perfectly struck blade feels, and it's true. We tend to hear a lot less about how bad a poorly struck blade feels.

Nothing quite like a thinned blade on a cold morning to take all the feel out your hands for a few holes, potentially totally ruining your day and score.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

I think you have to be honest with yourself about your game and your goals when selecting golf equipment.

If your goal is to play MB blades like the pros then go for it. Golf at our level is about having fun.

One of the things that makes this game so unique is that I can grab my Mizuno blades and head to TPC Sawgrass and try to recreate Tiger's US Am. Or try to hit a drive down Hogan's Alley with a wooden headed driver at Carnoustie.

We are at an exciting time in club tech. Golf is getting more and more accessible with clubs that are easier to get higher in the air and further down the fairway. It would be a injustice to our games if we were to forego these advancements just because of the negative stigmas that surround certain clubs because they are deemed GI or SGI.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

Well let me tell you from experience. I'm a high handicapoer and a few months back I bought a used set of Callaway Apex MB's. I do not hit them any worse than I did any game improvement iron. In fact, when I hit them square and in the smaller sweet spot, I have gotten more distance. I like them alot.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Well let me tell you from experience. I'm a high handicapoer and a few months back I bought a used set of Callaway Apex MB's. I do not hit them any worse than I did any game improvement iron. In fact, when I hit them square and in the smaller sweet spot, I have gotten more distance. I like them alot.

... Just saw the survey of club fitters that said 65% of golfers they fit should be using more forgiving irons. Now, I will say there are always exceptions to the rule. I had a student that was a 15 index and mediocre ball striker that played MB's. I tried to get him into something more forgiving but he always hit them as bad or worse. He was most definitely the exception as I had at least 10 other students I moved from MB's to players CB's and even GI irons and their play improved. 

Selling clubs was an eye opener when it comes to the buyers perceptions.

Raise your hand if you've ever tried fitting someone and the first paragraph includes “I need stiff shafts because regular is too whippy.” ‍♂️

Raise your hand if you were told that “I prefer a blade, I can't look at these chunky clubs, the blade will groove my swing.” ‍♂️

Once we get that out of their system the rest is fun. That aha moment of hitting something outside of their initial concept opened the door to anything...fact is most golf purchases are impulsive and a product of targeted marketing. Tell someone they need something and they'll believe it.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

• 2 weeks later...

I just went to Mizuno JPX 900 Forged. Used to have Cobra “Game Improvement” irons. I hit the Mizunos more crisp and accurate.

Rich

Irons: Mizuno MPH-4 (4-PW)

Driver: Ping G400 LST

Wedges: Cleveland 52, 56, 62

Putter: Rife

Orlando, FL

I played MP68 blades all last weekend. I did this because I wanted to swing my C Taper originals. My MP64's are on C Taper Lites. I honestly don't think that the it only made a difference on one shot. I had a horrible lie in the deep grass and I caught it high on the face. And knocked it over by the fairway bunker where it was hanging in the deep grass there about waist high. Needless to say that didn't work out well either. No amount of forgiveness would have made those easy shots, but the lack of metal on the top of the blade is noticeable out of fluffy lies. This was more than a "fluffy" lie.

I prefer the "Player's Irons" more for the partial shots I play with them rather than the full shots. I also use hybrids 5 and above. I

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

This is another one of the good threads that comes back now and again. Play whatever you like. I was shocked how much I like the new AP1s. They performed the best for me by far, and I've played “playa irons” forever.

Last year I had a combo set of Srixon 565/765 and played the 765 end very well. I felt I comfortably could have played the 765 throughout the bag and I fluctuate between a 17-19 Index.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Archived