TESTERS WANTED! ×

Are players irons really only for 'players' ?

StrokerAce

I'd also add that Handicap is a poor indicator of what iron would fit someone best.

This deserve to be repeated....

In my (much) younger years when I was in the best shape of my life, I could really hit irons. At the time, my handicap was at its worst because every other aspect was terrible, especially course management. I am now in the 15 range but can't hit my irons nearly as well due to age/strength issues. I feel like I manage my way around a course much better now.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's one way to find out and that is to jump on that hoss and ride.  If you keep falling off, then ya arse needs to get back on that old mare. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

If you're looking for player's irons at that price trolling eBay, you should be able to find a set of W/S FG Tour V4. They will be 2014 vintage sticks and should be able to be had lightly used at your target price. Even new sets are trending down into the $250s

Plus, it's a great set of sticks overall.

I think every golfer of every level should try blades AND persimmon woods at least once in their golfing career. The feel of a pured blade or actual wood wood is something all golfers should experience. There is nothing like the feeling of either.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Both for the good or bad.

You need to have that great feeling of a flushed shot with a Balata ball and also the bladed one that you just know will be smiling at you when you get to it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

By the way I just searched ebay for KZG and they have right and left handed forged irons for under 200

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Is there a particular KZG model you'd suggest?

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

I have a set of mizzy mp-14s. When hit proper and swing is on, nearly best felt irons I've experienced.

However, very punishing on mishits.

Then went back to my eye2s and tried i15s. In the eye 2s all soles too wide and in i15 3i-6i were wide as well. So I went in for xhot pros, but wanted ap2s.

It comes down to preference. You could go pure blade. Or competitive irons, even as others suggest go combo set.

In the end it's your comfort and what works best.

WITB 2021
Driver: Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 9* w/ C.Kua Stiff

FW: Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 15* w/ C.Kua Stiff

HY: Cleveland Launcher Halo 19* w/ C.Kua Stiff 

Irons: Titleist 716 AP1 4-PW w/ KBS 90 Stiff

Wedges: Vokey SM8 50*, 54*, & 60^

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Laguna 2 OR OG Futura

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1/V1x OR Chrome Soft TT

Bag: Sun Mountain 2019 4.5 14way carry

Clothes: Nike OR Under Armour 

Is there a particular KZG model you'd suggest?

I've had two sets of KZG Forged Blades and they are very nice clubs. Some of the sweetest feeling Forged irons ever. I liked the feel of my forged KZG wedges better than the Miuras I had. The bounce and sole grind make them a bit easier to play than KZG's other forged muscle back, the ZO Blades.

Don't get me wrong, the KZG Forged Blades aren't easy to play by any stretch, but they aren't as punishing as some blades.

P.S. the KZG model name is Forged Blades.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

strokerAce, let's talk a little bit about the classifications of irons for a second as they are modernly known. SGI, GI, Player, etc. It's all nonsense made by companies who retail these things to simply the buying process for the largest part of the bell curve of golfers.

In all honestly, all these classifications stand for are a list to actual physical properties that appeal to the visual sense, which slight technological variations. Think about it for a second, if I were to say 'Players club": what comes to mind? For me, it's empty physical terms like "sleek", "bladed", "sexy" etc. Are their physical differences, sure there are. They is no denying that a SGI iron has more offset than most player irons, but all these denotation are is a simpler code to help push golfers toward a club when they aren't sure what they want or don't want to go through the fitting process to see what they can handle.

It's why you see guys on tour like KJ with G400, and weekend warriors with Titleist MB, it's what you feel is the best fit for your game. These terms are good for simple catch-all type descriptors, but they are nothing more than that and I feel as if we've had too much reliance on these terms for far too long in my opinion.

In short, play what you feel you can play and what makes you happy, branding terms be damned.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

First off... Good Post Stroker.

Now for my 2 cents...

I've never understood what "player" means. He's a player. He plays "player" irons. Hell... I'm a player. You're a player...everyone here is a player aren't we? Stroker go get those blades and see what happens. I can't remember what you had before you got your SLI (single length irons) but weren't you looking for something easier and more consistent/forgiving/fun to hit? Honestly, I don't think you'll like the blades all that much for many reasons. First off you're not getting fit for them. Secondly, their blades!! Third, they're hard to center a ball in a dime size circle on the clubface. Fourth, they are not forgiving.

Me personally; I own and old set of Wilson Staff Dyna-Power Fluid-Feel blades. I put them down back in the early 80's and never hit those beasts again. Every since then I've played some form of cavity back type iron. Why? Because my game improved, they were easier to hit, and I had more fun doing it.

If I were you I'd go find/buy a couple of old blades and give them a try. Maybe you might only spend a few bucks as opposed to $200. Get it out of your system and have fun comparing blades against modern CB type irons. Heck if you were here where I live I'd let you go try mine. We'll all be interested to read about your experience.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I had an older set of Mizzy blades a few years ago....traded them for a Scotty Cameron putter. When they were struck correctly there was no better feeling in the world...it was pure bliss....the ball rocketed off the face a sailed effortlessly through the air....but miss by a few millimeters and you could feel that clunk all the way to your toes.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I am looking at some blades to combo my current set for 8,9,PW, and possibly 7 iron. I used to play MP-68 Mizuno, and I really miss the ability to work the ball.

Have fun with this, and who knows you may strike them well,

You will certainly know when you don't. Especially on cold days.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Another option is to get hold of ex demo 6 iron, probably for next to nothing. You can try it out and decide if it's worth going to a full set.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

I'd also add that Handicap is a poor indicator of what iron would fit someone best.

If there's anything I've learned from playing the 900 Tours, it is this.

My stance on the issue is:

1. You should play what makes you happiest. It's your money, you are the one earning it, and should spend it on what you want. After the whole missile thing last weekend, it has put some things further into perspective for me. That could have been it for me that day! I'm trying to plan for the future, but I'm also trying to live life at the same time. Sorry, kind of going off topic and ranting, but seriously, it's your money and no one else's, well maybe your wife's as well...

2. As Jlukes said, handicap is the worst indicator for choosing an iron. I was a bit nervous when I was selected to test and review the 900 Tours. The day I went to my fitting all of that doubt was gone - I was striking them so well and the numbers were great (for me). You might carry a handicap because you struggle a little with striking your irons, but you could be like me and just have an abysmal short game. I could write a book on the 3-putt bogey.

3. It's something you just need to experiment with. There's one thing to get fit, there's another to actually game something. I'm forever grateful for MGS for giving me the opportunity to play a "players" iron without having to make a financial decision, well - at least a less significant one since I still paid for my fitting and put in the time to test/write the review. Without this opportunity, there's no way I could've known what I now think is best for me. I now know that a MB isn't something I'm going to game, and anything more "player" than the 900 Tours isn't something I'd be confident to game. I like that the Tours have a little bit of cavity helping me, and I'd even be willing to get a little more in anything longer than a 6i. If you believe even a little bit that you can game a player's iron, try it so you can put your mind at ease.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

My question is why can't someone build a set of cavity back irons with no offset, thin sole, thin top line and a compact shape like they used to?

I put this in another thread, but it seems to be the least developed category. Sure they are there, but the focus is the GI, and SGI sets.

Not counting the JPX Tour in this.

My question is why can't someone build a set of cavity back irons with no offset, thin sole, thin top line and a compact shape like they used to?

I put this in another thread, but it seems to be the least developed category. Sure they are there, but the focus is the GI, and SGI sets.

Not counting the JPX Tour in this.

Bridgestone j15cb, Titleist cb and ping iblades have to tick that box.

How about Hogan Ft Worth  or Wishon 565s or Titleist AP3

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

...I'm wondering if I'm 'ready'...

I don't want forgiveness and offset.

I don't want stability, twisting resistance, expanded sweet spots.

I don't want a clubface that is 'expanded' from from heel to toe.

I don't want shovels.

I want maximum energy transfer.

I want flush shots that feel like they should.

I want smaller and compact.

I want hammers.

When I play a round I'd rather remember it more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worst ones...

At some point when I was learning to ride a bike I felt comfortable enough to take the training wheels off. Yeah, there were a couple of falls, but I got back up and learned to ride.

I'm ready to take the wheels off.

I'm ready to grow leaps and bounds.

Are you ready to take this journey with me?

Help me ... what's a psychopath to do?

Perhaps the best of both worlds is a combo set with P,9,8 bladelike and 7,6,5 with a cavity design?

Perhaps I'm also a masochist.

Ground rules: It's an experiment. I'm not going crazy here. Budget is 200. I can find an older set of Mizzy MX-23 or MP32 or some combo of something on the bay in that price range. I'm not married to any brand or company..I'll play anything within reason.

Also - I'm not looking for butter knives...masochism only goes so far.

...and yes, I understand the importance of getting fit and lessons and practice and being a good ball striker and smash factor and all that.

I'm probably no where near ready, but I pulled the trigger. I just picked up some nice Callaway Apex MB's with Aerotech Steelfiber i70's on them. Haven't tried them, but have confidence that I won't be no worse than I am now.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Haven't seen any of those in person. But from pictures the offset will be the issue. I can't stand looking at it except for maybe a little in the long irons.

The Hogan Ft Worth seem to have little offset.   I'll have to check them out again next time I go to MGS for club testing,  I saw a set at the lab.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

strokerAce - If you're not looking for something new, then go the other direction and save yourself $100.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ben-Hogan-Apex-Redline-Iron-set-RH-3-PW-Apex-Steel-W-3Flex-Sweet-Set-L-K/192421977170?hash=item2ccd3e5c52:g:UNkAAOSwGJlZKk5V

You'd be hard pressed to find a better set of blades for $100. I played them in high school, and I loved them. If you believe everyone who says that there's been no real technological advances in blades, why not buy something 30 years old?

I do wonder how they'd feel hitting today's balls. They felt great hitting balata.

Edit - Original link was to a single iron for $60. Should have known it was too good to be true.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I suppose the MP-18SC is as close as I can find.

A combo set of MMC/SC is probably the only thing I'd want over the 900 Tours. Unless the next JPX iron somehow improves on the current 900, I'll probably try to scoop up a combo set in a couple of years.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

The Hogan Ft Worth seem to have little offset. I'll have to check them out again next time I go to MGS for club testing, I saw a set at the lab.

I can't be for sure since I've never seen them, but it's possible they have a minimal offset. I noticed while doing research on players irons, that some have it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I think you will have a really difficult time finding players clubs that don't have any offset. There are not many if at all. Some may have less than others, but I don't think outside of some of the MB's you will find much without offset.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I think you will have a really difficult time finding players clubs that don't have any offset. There are not many if at all. Some may have less than others, but I don't think outside of some of the MB's you will find much without offset.

I agree, but why? From what I've found the cobra cb's have the least amount.

Archived