GolfSpy Stroker

Are players irons really only for 'players' ?

Our Sponsors

We hear a lot about how good a perfectly struck blade feels, and it's true. We tend to hear a lot less about how bad a poorly struck blade feels.

Nothing quite like a thinned blade on a cold morning to take all the feel out your hands for a few holes, potentially totally ruining your day and score.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Anything thin, of the hosel, or toe will feel like doo doo. Ain't much improving those misses.

I think you have to be honest with yourself about your game and your goals when selecting golf equipment.

If your goal is to play MB blades like the pros then go for it. Golf at our level is about having fun.

One of the things that makes this game so unique is that I can grab my Mizuno blades and head to TPC Sawgrass and try to recreate Tiger's US Am. Or try to hit a drive down Hogan's Alley with a wooden headed driver at Carnoustie.

We are at an exciting time in club tech. Golf is getting more and more accessible with clubs that are easier to get higher in the air and further down the fairway. It would be a injustice to our games if we were to forego these advancements just because of the negative stigmas that surround certain clubs because they are deemed GI or SGI.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Well let me tell you from experience. I'm a high handicapoer and a few months back I bought a used set of Callaway Apex MB's. I do not hit them any worse than I did any game improvement iron. In fact, when I hit them square and in the smaller sweet spot, I have gotten more distance. I like them alot.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

Well let me tell you from experience. I'm a high handicapoer and a few months back I bought a used set of Callaway Apex MB's. I do not hit them any worse than I did any game improvement iron. In fact, when I hit them square and in the smaller sweet spot, I have gotten more distance. I like them alot.

... Just saw the survey of club fitters that said 65% of golfers they fit should be using more forgiving irons. Now, I will say there are always exceptions to the rule. I had a student that was a 15 index and mediocre ball striker that played MB's. I tried to get him into something more forgiving but he always hit them as bad or worse. He was most definitely the exception as I had at least 10 other students I moved from MB's to players CB's and even GI irons and their play improved. 

• Like 2

Selling clubs was an eye opener when it comes to the buyers perceptions.

Raise your hand if you've ever tried fitting someone and the first paragraph includes “I need stiff shafts because regular is too whippy.” ‍♂️

Raise your hand if you were told that “I prefer a blade, I can't look at these chunky clubs, the blade will groove my swing.” ‍♂️

Once we get that out of their system the rest is fun. That aha moment of hitting something outside of their initial concept opened the door to anything...fact is most golf purchases are impulsive and a product of targeted marketing. Tell someone they need something and they'll believe it.

• Like 2

I just went to Mizuno JPX 900 Forged. Used to have Cobra “Game Improvement” irons. I hit the Mizunos more crisp and accurate.

• Like 2

I played MP68 blades all last weekend. I did this because I wanted to swing my C Taper originals. My MP64's are on C Taper Lites. I honestly don't think that the it only made a difference on one shot. I had a horrible lie in the deep grass and I caught it high on the face. And knocked it over by the fairway bunker where it was hanging in the deep grass there about waist high. Needless to say that didn't work out well either. No amount of forgiveness would have made those easy shots, but the lack of metal on the top of the blade is noticeable out of fluffy lies. This was more than a "fluffy" lie.

I prefer the "Player's Irons" more for the partial shots I play with them rather than the full shots. I also use hybrids 5 and above. I

• Like 1

This is another one of the good threads that comes back now and again. Play whatever you like. I was shocked how much I like the new AP1s. They performed the best for me by far, and I've played “playa irons” forever.

Last year I had a combo set of Srixon 565/765 and played the 765 end very well. I felt I comfortably could have played the 765 throughout the bag and I fluctuate between a 17-19 Index.

• Like 1

Last year I had a combo set of Srixon 565/765 and played the 765 end very well. I felt I comfortably could have played the 765 throughout the bag and I fluctuate between a 17-19 Index.

The 765 might just be the most versatile and best all around club made in the last 10 years.... they are that good!

• Like 1

The 765 might just be the most versatile and best all around club made in the last 10 years.... they are that good!

That may be one of the truest sentences ever written on the internet.  I'm really looking forward to getting my "2nd set" soon  :D

• Like 4

Eleven pages of posts. I have my own beliefs but I'm also careful to avoid saying anything is absolute.

What I will say is if I see a 12 handicap who wants to play for money and he has a set of true blades in his bag I'm playing.

• Like 2

You'll know when you take them out for a test drive. Either they work or don't. Before I bought my Mp25's,I was keen on buying either the AP1 or 2. But I could not hit these for the life of me. I went to local fitter and tried the Mizuno JPX and MP and knew it would be one of these. After about 2 hours of going back and forth,I knew it was the MP25.

Get what you will fall in love with.

then you can say what I say to my son whenever he tells me that he loves me,and I reply back that " I love my clubs"

😀😀

• Like 1

Great thread so far. Always like reading about this topic.

So here's my question for those of you who judge* the golfers who play blades. At what handicap/level do you think think "Wow, that player is getting the most out of those irons."?

*judge probably isn't the right word, it sounds too harsh but I can't think of a better one right now.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

So here's my question for those of you who judge* the golfers who play blades. At what handicap/level do you think think "Wow, that player is getting the most out of those irons."?

*judge probably isn't the right word, it sounds too harsh but I can't think of a better one right now.

Not about handicap, it is about how well they hit the clubs. As much as I try not to judge a players equipment. if they are playing blades and they are getting poor results maybe 4 out of 10 shots they may be in over there head or need to spend a lot of time working on their swing. If you are hitting the ball well 6 out of 10 times you are starting to get into the range of playing what you want.

On the flipside is there a handicap that you start to look down on if the are playing super game improvement clubs?

... I can sum it up best by the 23 yr old kid that played #1 for his college team at Central Connecticut when I was in Orlando and has aspirations to play on the PGA Tour. He played Titleist 716 CB's and I asked him if any players on the team play MB's. His response was "None, and I can do everything with my forged CB's I can do with a MB and the CB's protect my bad swings and poor contact. Granted I don't miss the center much, but when I do why not play a club that doesn't punish me?" He then hit a 4 iron 254 over water pin high to a pin tucked over a bunker on a par 5. Dropped a ball and hit a cut that curved about 10 yds and ended up about 15 feet short of the pin. Dropped anther and hit a high draw that curved another 10 yards and ended up on the back of the green. "Why on earth would I play a MB?" 

... As someone that plays to a + index and played MB's the first half of my golfing career I was extremely comfortable moving to a mixed set and then a full set of Forged CB's and never felt I lost anything but gained some forgiveness. Now I play P790's and the forgiveness is just off the charts and my confidence in any shot has never been higher. So while I do not pass judgement on anyone playing MB's, I can count on 1 finger the players I have been with on the course that had every reason to play MB's. Very high swing speed with a high trajectory producing high spin and rarely missed the middle. All the rest would be better served with a forged CB or even a more forgiving iron. 

... That said, I know there are traditionalists that just want to play "original" equipment and others that love the challenge and those that fiend that dense solid feel that only a MB can produce. There are different reasons to play any given club, and shooting the lowest score is not everyone's goal. 

• Like 8

... I will add there is no shortage of wanna be's out there. I was looking at the CBX Iron Wood 17* 2 iron yesterday and it was taped up with all the strikes so far out on the toe they missed the grooves. Now why would anyone that can't hit somewhere near the middle, let alone the perfect contact needed to play a 2 iron, be demoing a club like that? I see it with used MB's all the time, contact marks and wear nowhere near the center.  

• Like 1

The lowest my index has even been is 9.8. I did that playing Adams a3os SGI clubs. They were big ugly hybrid irons. When I realized I was a single digit golfer I moved to GI irons for no other reason than I thought it was time to move on. Since moving on my index has hovered between around 12.5 and 15.5 with numerous sets of GI irons. Enter Launcher HB SGI and I am trending right back to where I was with the Adams. I guess the point is maybe there never is a right time to move down in forgiveness for some of us that just want the best scores with the swing they have.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

Honestly, prior to Karsten Solhiem the father of the cavity back and ping, all that was available, was a blade. They are not that tough to play good golf with. Yes you need a good swing with a blade or muscle back, but as a golfer you should be striving for a good swing already