Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Are players irons really only for 'players' ?

StrokerAce

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, but why?.

To help golfers square the club and get the ball airborne. It is a design feature that is used to help a golfer. Probably was a rhetorical question but the wanted to say more than clubs are just built that way.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

To help golfers square the club and get the ball airborne. It is a design feature that is used to help a golfer. Probably was a rhetorical question but the wanted to say more than clubs are just built that way.

I understand what the design does, yet our woods and drivers are onset or near it.

I have a high ball flight, so any amount of offset accentuates that.

My question is why can't someone build a set of cavity back irons with no offset, thin sole, thin top line and a compact shape like they used to?

I put this in another thread, but it seems to be the least developed category. Sure they are there, but the focus is the GI, and SGI sets.

Not counting the JPX Tour in this.

That might be one of golf's holy grails - as far as clubs go.

The most forgiving irons with a thin topline and no offset.

I've searched and searched and there are very few out there.

A couple that I hadn't thought of came to mind. 

- Wilson staff fg tour v4/5/6, etc.

- Maltby DBM forged

- Wishon 560mc

I took a look at the wilson... those are really nice and progressive in a different sort of way.  They are pretty compact.

Those are near the top of my list.

I also like the Cobra CB/MB ... especially the dark color; I think with the darker color the topline appears more thin.

Those Maltby get a LOT of high praise.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

That might be one of golf's holy grails - as far as clubs go.

The most forgiving irons with a thin topline and no offset.

I've searched and searched and there are very few out there.

A couple that I hadn't thought of came to mind.

- Wilson staff fg tour v4/5/6, etc.

- Maltby DBM forged

- Wishon 560mc

I took a look at the wilson... those are really nice and progressive in a different sort of way. They are pretty compact.

Those are near the top of my list.

I also like the Cobra CB/MB ... especially the dark color; I think with the darker color the topline appears more thin.

Those Maltby get a LOT of high praise.

Sounds like I need a forge in my life. Can't find what I'm looking for, so I must build it.

That's the point though... I don't want help; I want to get the club square and not rely on offset or some other design feature to help me do it.

Golf is very unique in that way.

Other sports where you swing an object and hit another one don't modify the object being swung.

You don't see baseball bats bent towards the pitcher, or tennis rackets angled in at the net.

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

I'll bow out of this discussion, I want to put the clubs in my hand that will help me play my best golf everyday. Hope everyone finds the clubs that they want to play. This isn't a negative thing, just don't think I can add value to the thread.

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I'll bow out of this discussion, I want to put the clubs in my hand that will help me play my best golf everyday. Hope everyone finds the clubs that they want to play. This isn't a negative thing, just don't think I can add value to the thread.

Thanks for your insight... I hope you weren't put off by anything.

At the end of the day that's what it's all about - using what makes YOU the best player YOU can be.

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

That's the point though... I don't want help; I want to get the club square and not rely on offset or some other design feature to help me do it.

Golf is very unique in that way.

Other sports where you swing an object and hit another one don't modify the object being swung.

You don't see baseball bats bent towards the pitcher, or tennis rackets angled in at the net.

I would say that if that is what you want you will have to deal with some sort of offset. The least offset iron that I can think of is the Titleist MB. Good luck in your search. I'm not exactly sure by reading your posts as to why, but to each his own. I wish you the best of luck, but there's a reason why even the best of the best dont use true blades anymore.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Thanks for your insight... I hope you weren't put off by anything.

At the end of the day that's what it's all about - using what makes YOU the best player YOU can be.

Nope not put off by anything. I'll check out the hogan irons when I go back to MGS for testing. Will probably be a couple of weeks since they are at the pga show next week.

Nope not put off by anything. I'll check out the hogan irons when I go back to MGS for testing. Will probably be a couple of weeks since they are at the pga show next week.

I'd be interested in those Hogan's. I checked out those Wishons too, I like that they are the same offset through the entire set.

Just saying if they can make hollow clubs, and super cavities.

Why not make the ultimate club.

Blade Thin top line, zero offset, compact, cavity back.

I think basic design principles limit some things.

In order to create a cavity back, you must move weight away from the face of the golf club, thus the back end of the golf club has to get further from the leading edge, thus a bigger sole.  In order to maintain ideal launch and spin numbers, the manufacturer can't go from a zero top line to the back of the sole.  Therefore, any club that has some degree of cavity back will have to have a wider sole and top line.  

It's not that they don't want to create a cavity back with all the topline and sole characteristics of a blade; it's that it's mathematically impossible.

Sounds fun. Let us know what you end up with. I like the look of some of those KZG models—seem to have some decent prices on eBay in your budget as well.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

I think basic design principles limit some things.

In order to create a cavity back, you must move weight away from the face of the golf club, thus the back end of the golf club has to get further from the leading edge, thus a bigger sole. In order to maintain ideal launch and spin numbers, the manufacturer can't go from a zero top line to the back of the sole. Therefore, any club that has some degree of cavity back will have to have a wider sole and top line.

It's not that they don't want to create a cavity back with all the topline and sole characteristics of a blade; it's that it's mathematically impossible.

They did it in the 80's, we put people on the moon. Someone can figure it out.

I'm late to this thread, but..... I'm in the same camp as Shankster. I've hit everything from SGI, GI, Player's  Cavity Backs, etc..... I honestly don't get the "blades are so hard to hit" deal. Why are they so hard to hit? just hit the damn thing! 

I play Mizuno MP64's. I wouldn't call them blades in the true sense of what a blade iron is. Maybe they are a "player's cavity back".... what ever that is supposed to mean. Little, if any off set. Thin top line. Really nice to look at at address. Simple, well executed lines...... no racing stripes or multi colored graphics.... just a simple, beautiful iron..... at least to my eyes.

I hit them just fine. I'm a 9.6 handicap at the moment, probably will climb higher when the season starts again.  I say just play what you like. None of us on this forum.... no matter how good or bad we are, will be making a living at golf. If you like what you play (clubs) and have a good time.... who gives a rat's a$$ what you use to enjoy the game?

Mizuno did an awesome job blending the hosel and the face on those 64's... you may have shown me “The Ones”...

When I was looking for new irons, I hit the 59's against the 64's and there was no comparison between the two for me. The 64's felt much crisper (?) than the 59's, which felt harsh to me... if that makes any sense...lol. I really like the 64's. I won't be changing irons any time soon, and I've been playing them since 2014.

FWIW - My index is the same over many years ... Ping Eye2 irons ... Titleist 680 blades ... 681 blades & now Miura blades. It's the Archer - not the arrow. I just prefer to work my shots & know if I pured the shot. Blades let ME know ... cavity backs do not. I did not list the many cavity backs I have played ... lack of bandwidth.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Been wanting to do something like this for a while. Just mess around with some blades. There's a set of VR pro irons that's been on a local classifieds site for I can't remember how long and he reposts them every couple weeks. To keep them near the top of the listings. If my tax return is any good this year I may have to treat myself. They're in good condition and for $300 it's tough to go wrong

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

You pick any yet Stroker?

Wow...I'm really blown away by the responses in here.

First, let me say how pleasant it is to get such encouraging advice.  I know that this wouldn't be possible on some other-forums-not-to-be-named.  :lol:

I tried to tally up what has been recommended thus far and it really stretches far and wide.

In no particular order...

• Mizuno 
  •  - in general 5x
  •  - specifically: MP 32, 33, 64
  • Hogan Ft Worth, Apex
  • Tommy Armour 845 Evo, Silver Scot
  • Adams CMB x2
  • Cleveland TA3
  • Wishon 565, 575
  • Cobra (in general)
  • Wilson FG Tour V4
  • KZG (in general) x2

As you can see, a fantastic list to choose from!

What I would like is a "progressive/combo" set that has

-- a bit of cavity back in the 4,5,6 so there is a touch of forgiveness and for added distance 

-- a "muscle" back (ed: what a hilarious term for a golf club) in the 8, 9, P for distance control and work-ability

you'll notice I don't have the 7 listed... I go back and forth on whether this should be a cavity back or not...I'm leaning not right now..

There are very few sets of irons on the market like this; you usually need to 'make your own'...and by that I mean create a combo set yourself.

I've been exploring a few things such as picking up single irons for 20-30 bucks, scouring the interwebs for sets that come in CB/MB, etc.

As of now I'm still searching and ... for heaven's sake I won't be buying anything during the "silly season".... at the very least I'll wait until after the PGA show when everyone gets OVER THE MOON CRAZY FOR THE NEW STUFF AND IS LOOKING TO DUMP ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING THEY OWN TO HAVE THAT NEWFANGLED JAIL-CAGE-BREAK-BAR-THRUSTER.

I'm keeping my eyes wide open and keep looking around for what's out there and what might fit the bill (absolute ecstasy in each and every shot..haha)

BY ALL MEANS... if you have additional suggestions send them along; as you can see there are a couple other guys who have considered something like this for this year and hopefully this thread can serve as a point of reference going forward to anyone who may consider it in the future!

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

First, let me say how pleasant it is to get such encouraging advice. I know that this wouldn't be possible on some other-forums-not-to-be-named.

I tried to tally up what has been recommended thus far and it really stretches far and wide.

• Mizuno
  • - in general 5x
  • - specifically: MP 32, 33, 64
  • Hogan Ft Worth, Apex
  • Adams CMB x2
  • Cleveland TA3
  • Wishon 565, 575
  • Cobra (in general)
  • Wilson FG Tour V4
  • KZG (in general) x2

-- a bit of cavity back in the 4,5,6 so there is a touch of forgiveness and for added distance

-- a "muscle" back (ed: what a hilarious term for a golf club) in the 8, 9, P for distance control and work-ability

you'll notice I don't have the 7 listed... I go back and forth on whether this should be a cavity back or not...I'm leaning not right now..

There are very few sets of irons on the market like this; you usually need to 'make your own'...and by that I mean create a combo set yourself.

I've been exploring a few things such as picking up single irons for 20-30 bucks, scouring the interwebs for sets that come in CB/MB, etc.

As of now I'm still searching and ... for heaven's sake I won't be buying anything during the "silly season".... at the very least I'll wait until after the PGA show when everyone gets OVER THE MOON CRAZY FOR THE NEW STUFF AND IS LOOKING TO DUMP ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING THEY OWN TO HAVE THAT NEWFANGLED JAIL-CAGE-BREAK-BAR-THRUSTER.

I'm keeping my eyes wide open and keep looking around for what's out there and what might fit the bill (absolute ecstasy in each and every shot..haha)

BY ALL MEANS... if you have additional suggestions send them along; as you can see there are a couple other guys who have considered something like this for this year and hopefully this thread can serve as a point of reference going forward to anyone who may consider it in the future!

The wishon 575 have a cavity very small but a cavity. You can get the cavity in 3 through 7. With them being a lesser known brand they can be found on eBay fairly cheap. If I lived closer I would gladly let you try mine which I do really love.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

First, let me say how pleasant it is to get such encouraging advice.  I know that this wouldn't be possible on some other-forums-not-to-be-named.  :lol:

• Mizuno 
  •  - in general 5x
  •  - specifically: MP 32, 33, 64
  • Hogan Ft Worth, Apex
  • Adams CMB x2
  • Cleveland TA3
  • Wishon 565, 575
  • Cobra (in general)
  • Wilson FG Tour V4
  • KZG (in general) x2

I know I'm now a bit of a Mizuno fanboy after the JPX 900 test, but I can't think of any irons that blend more perfectly together than the mp-18 if you're looking to make a combo set. Further, if you have any doubt on the 7i, go with the more forgiving one.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Archived