Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

TaylorMade Spider Putter with Blast Technology

Golfspy_CG2

I could be wrong but I believe this is the first putter I've seen that has provided information technology built into the putter itself.   I'm curious to see how this would compare to some of the attachable putting devise out there and the information it provides.  Looks like a partnership wit SuperStroke, much like Cobra has done with Arccos. 

http://www.taylormadegolf.com/Spider-Interactive/DW-JIC41.html?cgid=taylormade-putters#start=2&

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

So that's a $400 putter and if I read that correctly the technology is in the grip. So why can't I purchase just the grip from Taylormade? I wouldn't personally spend the money on this. Now if it was just the grip, maybe. I doubt people buy the Cobra connect drivers just for that feature. Some might but not many.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

The normal Spider sells for what $299 I think?   So you're paying $100 for the technology--all be it built into the grip as well. 

Where I think TMAG may struggle here and it's basically what you pointed out.  When Cobra came out with the Arccos in it's grip I don't know if it was priced $100 higher than other drivers they had out.   Meaning could you buy and F7 with Cobra Connect for $499 and buy an F7 without it for $399.    Perhaps someone else will remember that.   

gad

I can see some techno geeks going for it, but I also can see most everyone that wants that info, buying the putter then getting one of the 3rd party gadgets for it if they want the technoology. 

Sure, let's get the headline stuff out of the way. Yep, it's $400. Yep, the tech appears to be in the grip like other sensor based tech. Yep, it's TM so some are going to hate it just because. Yep, Mark Crossfield probably isn't going to get one to test.

Now, to what I consider to be the most interesting part of that description. That TM has partnered with Andy and Piers from Me And My Golf to provide drills and tips to help with putting. This continues to show the growing influence of the YouTube golf pro. From Crossfield's club deal, Shiels and Finch's clothing deals, and now this chance for the MAMG guys, the landscape of golf media and how it's consumed is changing and it's really cool to see.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

You can buy the sensor and a rubber device that will fit over your current putter on the Blast website for $150 if you just want the sensor.

Anyone remember the Adams Dixx Blu putter??

My bag is a revolving door!

• SPY VIP

Immediate issue I see (apart from the fact that Blast technology has thus far proved less than compelling) is that Blast integration precludes the use of Arccos, Game Golf, or any other grip-embedded putting sensor.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Immediate issue I see (apart from the fact that Blast technology has thus far proved less than compelling) is that Blast integration precludes the use of Arccos, Game Golf, or any other grip-embedded putting sensor.

Yep, this is something that irks me, but it's showing up in more putter grips. The SuperStrokes with the weight in the butt end have the same problem, as does the Flat Cat, which doesn't have a vent hole in the top of the grip (it's on the side).

I have one Game Golf sensor from which I cut the screw and applied double-sided tape as a workaround. Not especially elegant, but it works.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

I would bet BLAST has a booth at the PGA Show. Would be interested to see what they have coming out from a golf perspective, and that if this is part of a much larger partnership with SuperStroke

My golf pro works directly with the designer of the Blast Motion for golf. I have the sensor, and it's phenomenal. There is SO much more available right now that one can do with it than just look at data., like lessons, drills, etc. The applications for the full-swing, the app, and a WHOLE bunch more are going to be awesome. I can't wait to see when it all goes public.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Immediate issue I see (apart from the fact that Blast technology has thus far proved less than compelling) is that Blast integration precludes the use of Arccos, Game Golf, or any other grip-embedded putting sensor.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my Blast and the best way to use it, as mentioned by the creator of the device, is to connect with one's pro and use the data as a larger plan for improvement. The data itself is overwhelming. 99.9% of folks have no idea what to do with all of the readings and the “why” behind the numbers and recommendations. My Pro can read all of my numbers, see video with the numbers showing on the screen, and then help me learn from them and then be guided by him of what to do.

I think the biggest problem Blast has is folks not using their pro. Heck, most pros don't know what it can do and how to apply it all. Lots of negative out there, but having a pro that is certified with Blast is how the golfer uses the technology to the maximum.

I would bet BLAST has a booth at the PGA Show.  Would be interested to see what they have coming out from a golf perspective, and that if this is part of a much larger partnership with SuperStroke

They will in fact be there.   I'll add them to my list to stop by and see. 

I don't think this would be something I'd be interested in purchasing. Blast. Or the putter for that matter... certainly not spending $400. I've already got an over-priced putter and it wasn't a blast when I bought it. (Edel)

If I were interested is analyzing my putting I'd probably just seek out someone with a Sam Lab device and do that and be done.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

How long before all clubs are smart clubs?

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Good question Sauer. It's defiantly coming along I think. I've always said here in the forum that eventually the club and the ball will work as one. We'll eventually be able to replay each shot on our phones or computers and analyze every stroke. Think trackman type date over each hole during your round. Will I want all that? Hard to say right now seeing how I don't care for the TM putter-blast technology discussed. Guess we'll have to wait and see what "they" come up with.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Not a huge TMAG fan but I'm loving how they are trying to think outside the box with added technology, curious to see if it's more gimmick than helpful but at least it's something different and not just another new color.

So that's a $400 putter and if I read that correctly the technology is in the grip. So why can't I purchase just the grip from Taylormade? I wouldn't personally spend the money on this. Now if it was just the grip, maybe. I doubt people buy the Cobra connect drivers just for that feature. Some might but not many.

I went to a TM night for retailers last week and the same question was raised. The blast tech in the grip is designed and formulated to just work with the spider putter. Something about the way it reads the amount of opening, closing, etc.

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

So you guys are nailing the practical application and value questions I had. Here's one I didn't see related to the user interaction:

IMG_6823.PNG

Since it's a sensor in the grip with accelerometers and such inside, that probably means it needs to be charged right? It won't be like the shot scope that's just a magnetic signature or low voltage frequency to be read. Is the grip going to be removable or will you have to take the whole putter to charge? I guess the picture makes it look like there will be removable batteries (if that's even what those are).

I don't know what would be worse, getting to the course only to realize you left your putter charging at home or coming back to read your data and find your battery died half way through.

Maybe this putter and the Sun Mountain powered bag would be a nice pairing.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Can the pros use this during a tournament?

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

The question I have is what is going to be the difference between the TM version and the one you can buy from Blast directly.   Reading the specs,  it seems like it provides SAM like numbers.  

https://blastmotion.com/products/golf/golf-player/ 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I think @golfspydave has a blast thing

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Can the pros use this during a tournament?

No they can't. It comes with a dummy cap for tourney play.

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

Definitely would not purchase this putter. Once the grip wears out, you essentially have an overpriced Spider putter. Same with Cobra Connect drivers -- once the grip wears out, you lose the Arccos technology with it.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

I do find this thread to be interesting as most have no idea what Blast is. Like the general public... Therefore, I think it will be a miss.

So you guys are nailing the practical application and value questions I had. Here's one I didn't see related to the user interaction:

attachicon.gifIMG_6823.PNG

I guess the picture makes it look like there will be removable batteries (if that's even what those are).

Those are the sensors that go into the grip, or grip cover in my case. They sit on top of the “hockey puck” looking charger to charge-up.

Those are the sensors that go into the grip, or grip cover in my case. They sit on top of the “hockey puck” looking charger to charge-up.

OK so still the same concept. You've gotta charge your sensors.

Any idea if you need both at once or if they can act as replacements when the charge runs out? Like front 9/back 9

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Just to give you all one SMALL glimpse into some of the data the Blast captures, here is a screen shot showing just a few of the onscreen data captured during a putting stroke.

IMG_4608.JPG

Here are a few pics of data captured during a recent putting drill I was doing. The putting drills, and full-swing drills, are given by Blast complete with video explanation of them.

IMG_4609.JPGIMG_4610.JPGIMG_4611.JPGIMG_4612.JPGIMG_4613.JPGIMG_4614.JPGIMG_4615.JPGIMG_4616.JPGIMG_4617.JPGIMG_4618.JPG

Then, for each that has “goal” in the picture, there is a goal identified for that data point based on handicap range. So, if you're trending in a 10 handicap range, and want to get that aspect of your stroke in the scratch or +1 handicap, it shows you what you should aim for.

IMG_4619.JPG

Folks, there is SO much data that the Blast captures, as you can see, one REALLY needs a pro trained on the device to work with so as to put the numbers to use.

Again, I think a miss by TM as folks will buy this putter, have the data, and be frustrated with the amount of info, and no application.

Great sell job by Blast!!! Although, customer dissatisfaction with the tech may hurt long-term.

OK so still the same concept. You've gotta charge your sensors.

Any idea if you need both at once or if they can act as replacements when the charge runs out? Like front 9/back 9

Not sure. Only one comes per order, normally. The charge lasts 8-10 hours...

Thank kieldog. Nice to see that actual screen since the blast site doesn't do a good job in showing how the information is presented. Definitely need to understand the putting stroke to know how to apply the results.

I Have been considering purchasing one but felt like the information on the site was lacking the necessary details

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Archived