Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Brand(s) you’d like to see make a comeback...?

Shankster

It will always be nike for me

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Bulls Eye putters for those fools who don't believe putter technology is worth a crap.  ;)

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Wow, MacGregor was first thing that came to my mind

Glad I'm not only one

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

Don't know about entire companies... but for individual iron sets:

Spalding - Tour Edition "Bird on Ball" blades

Ben Hogan - Apex Redline

MacGregor - MT Colokrom

Cleveland - TA1 blades

Tommy Armour - Diamond Scot

Ram - Tom Watson Scoring System wedges

I was going to say Toney Penna, but it looks like someone has bought the name and is selling stuff under that name.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Love to see these get modernized.

Still have a driver and 3w in the garage that come out every now and then.

BigTazz

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Still have a 19* Olimar Trimetal in my bag.It has a sweet feel and high launch when I hit it well.I use it to fill gap between my TM 5 wood and 4 hybrid distance wise.I've tried newer fairways and hybrids but keep coming back to this.

Sent from my SM-G900V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver :cobra-small: King F6 matrix White Tie shaft

3 Wood : :taylormade-small: Rocketballz 15* Matrix Ozik X-con5

5 wood :taylormade-small: Rocketballz 19* Matrix Ozik X-con5

Hybrid :taylormade-small: Burner 3H , :cobra-small: King F7 4-5 hybrid

Irons  6-PW :cobra-small:  King Cobra SZ

wedges  :cleveland-small: CG16 52*,56*

Putter :odyssey-small:  Sabertooth

Ball :srixon-small: Tour yellow Q Star or :callaway-small: Chrome Soft yellow/black Truvis

Does Adams count?

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

MacGregor and it isn't even close.

AMEN!!!!!---- I can remember when Golfsmith bought and ruined that brand--- Anyone on here that is an old timer that knows me well knows I am a dyed in the wool Macgregor iron man. Lets see I have sets ranging from a set of 1940 Tommy Armours to 1986 Muirfields. I have just started venturing out in the classic Hogan field too but inside I am a Mac man. 

LOL one time my wife and I were in Golfsmith and she saw some Mac irons and told me there are some brand new Mac irons over there. I snarled at her "those are not real Mac irons they are junk" She has been married to me for 30 years and she knows when I snarl like that something is wrong. I took her over and explained to her that they were cast junk much to dismay of some of the present staff. She did go in self defense well there are some Macgregor golf bags over there. I snarled again "those are not real Macgregor golf bags like mine made by the Burton Company in the USA those are made in China and the zippers and such are crap!" I left at that point and never went back again.

Now being truthful I was never a big Mac wedge fan except for the 59 thru 62 FC wedges. Never was a big Mac putter fan either. I was mostly a big Wilson Staff ,Spalding or Hogan wedge fan. Was always a big Mac fairway wood fan but preferred either Izette custom drivers or Toney Penna

One of my biggest dreams if I hit a lottery was to buy the Macgregor name and go back to making quality FORGED blade irons like they used to and have quality craftsmen like Don White grinding them and have either Burton or Vessel making my bags

OK mini rant over

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

You know, I know I dropped MacGregor pretty quick, but I also miss the Strata line of golf balls and even the Dunlop Loco Pro line of golf balls too. Love those things, especially the ol' Loco Pro and the Strata Tour Ace, the golf balls of my youth.

On balls I would have to say the Dunlop HT-100 Balata-- My holy grail ball of all time

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Don't know about entire companies... but for individual iron sets:

Spalding - Tour Edition "Bird on Ball" blades

Ben Hogan - Apex Redline

MacGregor - MT Colokrom

Cleveland - TA1 blades

Tommy Armour - Diamond Scot

Ram - Tom Watson Scoring System wedges

I was going to say Toney Penna, but it looks like someone has bought the name and is selling stuff under that name.

The last paragraph Stuff is a polite name for it. IMHO a certain 4 letter word that starts with S is more like it. Cast mass produced junk. I am sure Toney Penna has rolled in his grave several times over this. I have actually saw and hit one of the new wedges pure cast junk I tell you. Your other selections are great. On the Cleveland line I love the old 588 black blades. Funny thing with me being a dyed in the wool Mac man I did not like the Colorkrom short irons but love the 6 thru 2 irons. I have 2 sets of those one original 58 set and the 80s remake. Hogans I like the 1980 Grind blades in fact they are the only set of Hogans I have for now

G

Does Adams count?

Certainly--- Look at my signature-- Adams hybrids and older TM rescue hybrids are the only hybrids I do not hook of the planet

G

The last paragraph Stuff is a polite name for it. IMHO a certain 4 letter word that starts with S is more like it. Cast mass produced junk. I am sure Toney Penna has rolled in his grave several times over this. I have actually saw and hit one of the new wedges pure cast junk I tell you.

That's truly sad to hear. My HS golf years were right when the game was changing from persimmon to metal. I went from a MacGregor Toney Penna driver I rescued from a used bin to the original dimple-headed TaylorMade Tour Burner with the gold graphite shaft.

I still have the TP. I'll never let that go.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

That's truly sad to hear. My HS golf years were right when the game was changing from persimmon to metal. I went from a MacGregor Toney Penna driver I rescued from a used bin to the original dimple-headed TaylorMade Tour Burner with the gold graphite shaft.

I still have the TP. I'll never let that go.

You have not been here that long but the guys that are old timers on here know. I did not switch from persimmon until 02 or so> I was the last persimmon guy standing on the SE mini tours. When I did switch I went to a small headed (300 cc) Founders Club Judge with a X-100 steel shaft. My first metal fairway was a Callaway Steel Head 3+ with a UST Pro Force 65 Gold in it tipped 1". Back in those days I hit a bad rope hook and could rope hook any graphite shaft made at the time except the Aldila HM 65 in my persimmon Toney Penna driver. As graphite shafts progressed I aged and my fast hands slowed down. I refer to it as we evolved together. Today I am hitting regular graphite shafts in my front line woods. But I still have one Mac 3 wood with a X-100 I can still hit and kill. I still have my Penna which has a pedigree so to speak. It was one of the last persimmon drivers played on the PGA Tour and as I said before definitely the last one standing on the SE mini tours 

G

A few other threads have sparked an idea or triggered a memory so to speak. I remember working at the course as a kid, carrying everyone's bags from their cart to the clubhouse, or to a cart.

Many brands I remember seeing were:

1. Power Bilt

2. RAM

3. Dunlop

4. MaxFli

5. Jack Nicklaus

6. Spalding

To name a few.

Today we are blinded by the marketing of the Big Guns. You see, TM, Callaway, Titleist on every magazine.

I know with golf's decline these brands went by the way side or bought by another company.

But the three companies I would welcome back are Power Bilt, RAM, and Dunlop.

What's yours?

Here's a link to MGS golf brands list.

https://mygolfspy.com/list-of-golf-club-manufacturers/

Hey, I just bought a Powerbilt Citation 5 wood!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Wishon clubs, Odyssey CS stroke lab putter

Hey, I just bought a Powerbilt Citation 5 wood!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

My brother-in-law has an OLD ping 7 wood that he can absolutely smash! 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Shoutout for Stroker bringing the swoosh up. Before I played golf I thought Nike being in the golf business was a joke. Now I've got heartburn wanting them to start making hard goods again. I'm playing them as long as I can.

Now one company that was missed earlier, I wish Penfold had a real presence on the ball scene and were easier to get my hands on. They are a ghost now.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Shoutout for Stroker bringing the swoosh up. Before I played golf I thought Nike being in the golf business was a joke. Now I've got heartburn wanting them to start making hard goods again. I'm playing them as long as I can.

Now one company that was missed earlier, I wish Penfold had a real presence on the ball scene and were easier to get my hands on. They are a ghost now.

Patrick Reed has the swoosh's in the bag again. I read that they were just made for him... ??

The last paragraph Stuff is a polite name for it. IMHO a certain 4 letter word that starts with S is more like it. Cast mass produced junk. I am sure Toney Penna has rolled in his grave several times over this. I have actually saw and hit one of the new wedges pure cast junk I tell you.

They are already a bargain shoppers special on eBay. Factory direct 3 wedges for $79. No not each, $79 for a set of three.

I remember when these were announced and I said in a thread here on MGS that I didn't see how taking a generic cast wedge and stamping the name of a pro from the 1950's was going to be successful.

I think as much as we long for some of the names of the past, the reality is many of us have moved on. Case in point, the revived Ben Hogan brand. I know many of us were excited to see Ben Hogan clubs be made again and the best part was they were high quality, forged irons. But how many went out and bought them? The beautiful Ft. Worth Irons were geared to a small population of low handicap golfers and when they did release a more game improvement styled iron it already looked dated upon release with that little Ben Hogan medallion on it.

It's kind of funny that Ben Hogan was resurrected with the business model of building high quality, forged players irons first, and then introduce a more player friendly model later. This is exactly what doomed Hogan in the late 1990's. They made beautiful, terrific performing blades for the top 1% of handicaps while continuing to lose money and by the time they introduced cavity back irons for the masses, it was too late and were sold to Callaway.

Like others, I'd like to see some of these companies come back, but what would we like to see from these companies that would make us open our wallets?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Patrick Reed has the swoosh's in the bag again. I read that they were just made for him... ??

Tell me more!?!

Side note, the "TGR" blades that Tiger played in the Hero were a brand new set of the VR blades. Supposedly the last set to come out of the Oven.

Gameday
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120

Classic Bag

They are already a bargain shoppers special on eBay. Factory direct 3 wedges for $79. No not each, $79 for a set of three.

I remember when these were announced and I said in a thread here on MGS that I didn't see how taking a generic cast wedge and stamping the name of a pro from the 1950's was going to be successful.

I think as much as we long for some of the names of the past, the reality is many of us have moved on. Case in point, the revived Ben Hogan brand. I know many of us were excited to see Ben Hogan clubs be made again and the best part was they were high quality, forged irons. But how many went out and bought them? The beautiful Ft. Worth Irons were geared to a small population of low handicap golfers and when they did release a more game improvement styled iron it already looked dated upon release with that little Ben Hogan medallion on it.

It's kind of funny that Ben Hogan was resurrected with the business model of building high quality, forged players irons first, and then introduce a more player friendly model later. This is exactly what doomed Hogan in the late 1990's. They made beautiful, terrific performing blades for the top 1% of handicaps while continuing to lose money and by the time they introduced cavity back irons for the masses, it was too late and were sold to Callaway.

Like others, I'd like to see some of these companies come back, but what would we like to see from these companies that would make us open our wallets?

I would like to see Nike pick up right where they left off. I think they were really producing some great products when they closed up shop.

Gameday

Classic Bag

I would like to see Nike pick up right where they left off. I think they were really producing some great products when they closed up shop.

I agree. I never liked Nike golf stuff before, but the Vapor Pro Combos were sweet and I thought they were headed in a direction I liked when they abruptly pulled the plug.

For me it would be Macgregor. Make a forged cavity back that looks like a players iron but has game improvement features. Keep the unmistakable “Macgregor” cursive logo in a clean, classic Forged look.

Pretty much a Mizuno that says Macgregor on it.

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Artisan golf is some remnants of “The Oven” staff from what I've gathered. You can find them on Instagram.

Found and followed. Great find!

Gameday

Classic Bag

Hogan made GI clubs in the 80's.

http://persimmongolftoday.org/archives/1571

The Radials came out in 1983. You needed to hit them near the center, but they were really easy to get the ball airborne.

Then they released the first version of the Edge in 1989. My dad bought those right after I got my redlines. I used to steal his 2 iron. Anyone could hit those things. They were like Eye 2's with feel. The Edge GS that came out in '91 were even better.

Hogan may not have been able to market GI irons, but they made great ones.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Hogan made GI clubs in the 80's.http://persimmongolftoday.org/archives/1571The Radials came out in 1983. You needed to hit them near the center, but they were really easy to get the ball airborne.Then they released the first version of the Edge in 1989. My dad bought those right after I got my redlines. I used to steal his 2 iron. Anyone could hit those things. They were like Eye 2's with feel. The Edge GS that came out in '91 were even better.Hogan may not have been able to market GI irons, but they made great ones.

I gamed Hogan edge irons in the early 90's, they were very nice sticks. I don't know that they were GI clubs but they were very consistent distance wise and easy shape shots.

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

Man that impresses me you knowing about Penfolds--- I thought only us ancient farts knew about them-- I still have some in balata and they are the smaller European size to boot---- With you posting that you may be accused of hanging around me too much :D

G