TESTERS WANTED! ×

Brand(s) you’d like to see make a comeback...?

Shankster

MacGregor! V-Foil VIP Tourney irons are still one of my absolute favorites!!! I have a 7 iron in the muscle-back, and a 6 iron in the cavity back and I hit them at the range when my clubs are being re-shafted, etc. They feel INCREDIBLE and I'm as accurate with the MB as I am with my Edel irons. I would probably buy a full set of these if there were some new ones around!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

They are already a bargain shoppers special on eBay. Factory direct 3 wedges for $79. No not each, $79 for a set of three.

I remember when these were announced and I said in a thread here on MGS that I didn't see how taking a generic cast wedge and stamping the name of a pro from the 1950's was going to be successful.

I think as much as we long for some of the names of the past, the reality is many of us have moved on. Case in point, the revived Ben Hogan brand. I know many of us were excited to see Ben Hogan clubs be made again and the best part was they were high quality, forged irons. But how many went out and bought them? The beautiful Ft. Worth Irons were geared to a small population of low handicap golfers and when they did release a more game improvement styled iron it already looked dated upon release with that little Ben Hogan medallion on it.

It's kind of funny that Ben Hogan was resurrected with the business model of building high quality, forged players irons first, and then introduce a more player friendly model later. This is exactly what doomed Hogan in the late 1990's. They made beautiful, terrific performing blades for the top 1% of handicaps while continuing to lose money and by the time they introduced cavity back irons for the masses, it was too late and were sold to Callaway.

Like others, I'd like to see some of these companies come back, but what would we like to see from these companies that would make us open our wallets?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Well I am going to be the old fart curmudgeon I am here. I told someone on WRX "Why in the hell would I want to buy a new set of Hogans when I have at least one full set of the genuine article?"

I think I posted on here or WRX when they came out about with the new Penna wedges and then showed a disgusting picture of a "new" Penna driver.

This is a Penna driver that Toney Penna made real USA grown persimmon

20160401_190508 (1).jpg

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Hogan made GI clubs in the 80's.

http://persimmongolftoday.org/archives/1571

The Radials came out in 1983. You needed to hit them near the center, but they were really easy to get the ball airborne.

Then they released the first version of the Edge in 1989. My dad bought those right after I got my redlines. I used to steal his 2 iron. Anyone could hit those things. They were like Eye 2's with feel. The Edge GS that came out in '91 were even better.

Hogan may not have been able to market GI irons, but they made great ones.

Those Edge long irons are rockets even with the "Spalding Apex" shafts which are nothing close to the old Apex which were light years ahead of their time. The 99 Hogan Apex blades are some of the holy grail clubs for Hogan guys. Lots of people do not know the 99 Apex blades were Endo forged in Japan and bring top dollar today

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Deejaid: For me to want to buy any of this comeback gear, they'd have to do what Wilson, Ford, and Dodge did with the FG 100's, the “mustang”, and the “challenger”. And maybe cobra with that “persimmon” F8...

By that I mean, old school colors, graphics, lofts, but with modern club making processes.

Take STU's Toney Penny Driver right there, I would want to see that color replicated and the build quality be equal or better.

MacGregor! V-Foil VIP irons are still one of my absolute favorites!!! I have a 7 iron in the muscle-back, and a 6 iron in the cavity back and I hit them at the range when my clubs are being re-shafted, etc. They feel INCREDIBLE and I'm as accurate with the MB as I am with my Edel irons. I would probably buy a full set of these if there were some new ones around!

Sadly the last of the really great line of clubs and what is worse is if some one gives two hoots they are non-conforming on the groove rule but then again so is all my Mac stuff and Hogan too

G

Hogan made GI clubs in the 80's.

http://persimmongolftoday.org/archives/1571

The Radials came out in 1983. You needed to hit them near the center, but they were really easy to get the ball airborne.

Then they released the first version of the Edge in 1989. My dad bought those right after I got my redlines. I used to steal his 2 iron. Anyone could hit those things. They were like Eye 2's with feel. The Edge GS that came out in '91 were even better.

Hogan may not have been able to market GI irons, but they made great ones.

Yeah, I had a set of Edges at one point. But by the late 90's the Hogan Company was already in trouble. They released the Apex 99 Irons that were incredible players clubs, but like Stu mentioned, they were no longer forged in the USA, but Japanese Forged by Endo. By the time they released their game improvement cavity back, the Apex Edge, the company was all but finished.

And I ran out and bought those new Apex Edge irons as I loved the classy, old school look of Hogan clubs, but man, those things were dogs. Next thing you know Callaway owns Hogan and they release the Hogan BH-5, pretty much a Big Bertha iron with Hogan graphics. That pretty much sealed their fate.

But you are right, they did have a game improvement club in the late 1980's but I believe that was already the beginning of the end for the original Hogan co.

If I recall, the last US forged Hogan's were the 1994 Channel Back Irons Justin Leonard used to win the 1997 British Open. Probably no coincidence that Macgregor was also beginning to struggle at this time and forged their last clubs on us soil in the 1990's.

By 2000, neither Hogan nor Macgregor were forged in the US.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Man that impresses me you knowing about Penfolds--- I thought only us ancient farts knew about them-- I still have some in balata and they are the smaller European size to boot---- With you posting that you may be accused of hanging around me too much :D

Whenever I hear Penfold, I think Goldfinger. Strict rules.

Are the new Penfolds a disappointment? Anyone gotten their hands on them?

https://penfoldgolf.com/golf-equipment/collectors-set/penfold-black-heart-set-soft-4-piece-golf-balls

I loved playing the old Strata Tour Ace with the card suits instead of numbers.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I was intrigued Hopkins and Scratch wedge offerings. I'd like to see both make a return so I can at least try them.

I have/had a Hopkins wedge laying around somewhere. It I can find it, I'll send it to you.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I have/had a Hopkins wedge laying around somewhere. It I can find it, I'll send it to you.

You need to take a picture of where you store your collection of “backup” clubs. I wonder if you or BIgStu has a larger collection. You probably have more current clubs and he probably has more classic.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I'd like to see Nickent, Macgreger, and Hopkins golf.

+1 on Nickent; specifically their hybrid lineup. I just replaced my 12 year old 3DX. Found a 2 hybrid still in the plastic for $14 on the flea bay; had a “2007 US Open Winner” sticker on the face.

I honestly believe the 3DX was the best hybrid ever made (for my game anyway). It has a super hot face, looks dead square at address and the head is small enough to dig balls out of truly awful lies. It handles moon ball cuts, stinger hooks and everything in between. Hell, last Summer I played 9 holes with no other clubs and shot +4.

IMG_3048.JPG

IMG_3046.JPG

IMG_3049.JPG

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

You need to take a picture of where you store your collection of “backup” clubs. I wonder if you or BIgStu has a larger collection. You probably have more current clubs and he probably has more classic.

I am just a drop in the bucket compared to some of the guys in the Classics section of WRX. On guy over there a few years back bought what is considered the holy grail of the classic club hoes. It was called the Niles Hoard because it was in Niles Michigan. I forgot exactly how many sets and how many individual bags and clubs there was but I think it was around 20K total. I know the guy rented a warehouse to build racks etc to sort out all the stuff. Off the top of my head I would say I have close to 500 or so if you count them individually. On modern clubs I do have 2 sets of irons that I consider somewhat modern. The 2013 Forged in my signature and the Infiniti TS-10 Prototype set which is close to 8 years old now. Off the top of my head I have 9 sets of Macgregor blades 1 set of Spalding Elite blades and one set of Hogan Grind blades.  Persimmion drivers I have close to 100 and classic putters I have around 75 or so. Wedges man oh man. Bags do not even go there amongst them 2 Miller Ryder Cup bags and one of John Daly's staff bags from his brief Wilson days.  I guess I am the classic club ho on MGS but on WRX I am a blip on the screen

G

+1 on Nickent; specifically their hybrid lineup. I just replaced my 12 year old 3DX. Found a 2 hybrid still in the plastic for $14 on the flea bay; had a “2007 US Open Winner” sticker on the face.

I honestly believe the 3DX was the best hybrid ever made (for my game anyway). It has a super hot face, looks dead square at address and the head is small enough to dig balls out of truly awful lies. It handles moon ball cuts, stinger hooks and everything in between. Hell, last Summer I played 9 holes with no other clubs and shot +4.

attachicon.gifIMG_3048.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3046.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3049.JPG

I've still got one in my "holiday" bag that lives at my inlaws holiday apartment. Got it for next to nothing, and it goes really well.

As you can see from my signature, I still play a Nickent 4DX driver, I've tried for 5 years to find a driver I hit better, but can't. It may be a bit to do with the Grafalloy Epic, another oldie, but it suits my swing perfectly.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

I bet not many of you remember First Flight irons? They were the cat's meow back in the day. At least at the little nine hole country hick course I started playing on. You might as well bring back a sleeve of Club Special balls with em.... Good stuff!

First round I ever played with was Acushnet Club Specials. Good times.

:ping-small:G410 plus driver,:taylormade-small:Aeroburner 3W, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
:callaway-small:XR 4, 5 hybrids
:titleist-small:2021 T300 6 - GW, SW irons
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy CB 58/12 wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Alternates: Srixon ZX4 MKII irons

First round I ever played with was Acushnet Club Specials. Good times.

My old man used to sell them in his pro shop back in the day. They were on the side counter loose in a huge glass cookie jar I think they were .35 each or 3 for .75   We also had lake balls 5 for $1 and if the old man liked you he would tell you throw a couple of extra in for nothing. He did not have any actual cash money in the lake balls. He and the diver split the lake balls 50/50. I can remember when he sold starter sets he would fill the pockets of the bag with lake balls and a big hand full of tees and tell them have at it

G

• 1 month later...

Ram   Lynx   MacGregor   Orlimar

All great names from earlier days of golf.  Lynx is rebuilding and located in the UK right now; and Orlimar seems to be relegated to the discount bin at kmart and isn't even the real deal from back in the day when Jesse Ortiz was steering the ship.  

AFIK, Jesse is somehow involved in the Bobby Jones club resurrection project.  I hope it gains traction!

Love trying new equipment and staying informed of current trends and developments.  Over the years, I have owned Callaway, Ping, Mizuno, Srixon, Cobra, Adams, Orlimar, Snake Eyes, Cleveland, Wilson/Staff, Lynx, Ram, and Dunlop.  Belong to a golf league at my workplace, am an alternate for another golf league, and spend my free time golfing with my wife, (who is also on a golf league!), or with other friends. 

Callaway RazrX irons, 6-P, standard loft, regular flex

Callaway RazrHawk Fairway Woods 3, 5, 7, regular flex

Callaway Big Bertha Fairway Wood 9, regular flex

Callaway Xhot Driver, 10.5, regular flex

Cleveland RTX Wedges, 56* 60*, standard loft, regular flex

Cleveland TFi 6.5 Putter
Right Handed

Madison, WI

18 Handicap

Ram Lynx MacGregor Orlimar

All great names from earlier days of golf. Lynx is rebuilding and located in the UK right now; and Orlimar seems to be relegated to the discount bin at kmart and isn't even the real deal from back in the day when Jesse Ortiz was steering the ship.

AFIK, Jesse is somehow involved in the Bobby Jones club resurrection project. I hope it gains traction!

Interesting about the Bobby Jones stuff. It's always good when things make a comeback. Maybe they'll make my 2 wood.

• 1 year later...

Not sure if this has been mentioned but a group of us Spy's are testing the Lynx Prowler VT's and Black Cats.

Lynx had somewhat of a silent revival some years back but just recently they've decided to step into competition with the big boys. They're currently in the midst of working out some kinks to have a strong release in 2020 and this testing is all part of that.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/32612-2019-official-forum-member-review-lynx-black-cat-and-prowler-vt-irons/?do=findComment&comment=560540

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Adams

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

4 minutes ago, revkev said:

Adams

I’ll second those sentiments

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

• 1 year later...
On 1/21/2018 at 6:42 PM, HardcoreLooper said:

Whenever I hear Penfold, I think Goldfinger. Strict rules.

Are the new Penfolds a disappointment? Anyone gotten their hands on them?

https://penfoldgolf.com/golf-equipment/collectors-set/penfold-black-heart-set-soft-4-piece-golf-balls

I loved playing the old Strata Tour Ace with the card suits instead of numbers.

I just posted reviews of the Hearts and Dual iD. The hearts is a better ball of the two, and it has some serious spin. But, like I mentioned in the review, I had my own Goldfinger moment using these in a match when my curious opponent searched them and they are not on the conforming list. For a fun match or for the Bond fan in your life, they are perfectly good balls. I got one of their GX gloves and it performs pretty well. I will do a review on them next. The apparel and gloves capture that Seve-era aesthetic well, and can keep up with many other brands. 

Titleist 975J

Callaway Hawkeye 3 Wood

Ben Hogan CFT Hybrid, Apex Plus Irons

Cleveland 588 Wedges

Scotty Newport 2 Mid Slant Pro Platinum