Shankster

Brand(s) you’d like to see make a comeback...?

You know, I know I dropped MacGregor pretty quick, but I also miss the Strata line of golf balls and even the Dunlop Loco Pro line of golf balls too. Love those things, especially the ol' Loco Pro and the Strata Tour Ace, the golf balls of my youth.

• Like 1

Is it too early for Nike ??? :D

I have a soft spot for Maxfli, they were one of my first set of irons.

Was waiting for the swoosh.

• Like 2

Multi colored PING balls were pretty fun.

• Like 2

I became a golfer with Ram Tour Grind irons in my bag and Tommy Armor woods in my bag.

Of course I would suck with those clubs today but I loved them when I gamed them. I was money with that driver and the Ram 2 iron off the tee.

I also gamed Nicklaus Iron Max irons. They were way ahead of their time. A nice combo set - the short irons were muscle backs, the middle irons cavity backs and the 4 iron very similar to the driving irons that many people love. I had two sets of those irons - the first was steal shafted, the second had these Fujikara graphite shafts and I reshafted them with a lighter regular graphite shaft.

I was a 1 with those irons - both shafts.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

Rev with the 2 iron. For the win.

• Like 4

I wouldn't mind seeing Spaulding make a comeback with the Tour Edition ball. Remember those? Only this time with a urethane cover.

Tour Edition balls spun like crazy, imagine what they would be like with a urethane cover. When I first started playing and was poor as dirt I used to use Spalding Canada Cup orange balls, a pure distance ball at the time.

Macgregor. I'd like to see them come back as a smaller company focused on quality forged clubs. Ram were some awesome clubs back in the 70's and 80's.

Can't really think of a 3rd I'd bring back.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I gamed the Ram FX2 forged irons for 5 or 6 seasons, they were great clubs. I gave them to a friend and he still uses them.

• Like 2

I gamed the Ram FX2 forged irons for 5 or 6 seasons, they were great clubs. I gave them to a friend and he still uses them.

I remember, I believe it was the late 80's, they had one of the first combo sets. 3-6 Cavity Back and 7-PW Blades.

Edit: guess it was early 90's called Pro Set. 3-7 Cavity, 8-PW Blades. Still look very playable.

• Like 1

I remember, I believe it was the late 80's, they had one of the first combo sets. 3-6 Cavity Back and 7-PW Blades.

Those are the ones. Compared to clubs today they were heavy, you knew you were swinging something. They had great feel. I'm getting all nostalgic now lol.

• Like 2

I forgot about Orlimar and their TriMetals.

Love to see these get modernized.

Still have a driver and 3w in the garage that come out every now and then.

BigTazz

• Like 1

Adding Scratch to my list. Started when I wasn't playing, ended right when I started playing again. Bummer, I think those would have been my brand.

• Like 2

I always liked the Strata golf balls the one with the green swirl is the one I really liked I think that was the “spin” ball.

• Like 3

Bulls Eye putters for those fools who don't believe putter technology is worth a crap.  ;)

• Like 3

Wow, MacGregor was first thing that came to my mind

Glad I'm not only one

• Like 3

Don't know about entire companies... but for individual iron sets:

Spalding - Tour Edition "Bird on Ball" blades

Ben Hogan - Apex Redline

MacGregor - MT Colokrom

Cleveland - TA1 blades

Tommy Armour - Diamond Scot

Ram - Tom Watson Scoring System wedges

I was going to say Toney Penna, but it looks like someone has bought the name and is selling stuff under that name.

• Like 2

Love to see these get modernized.

Still have a driver and 3w in the garage that come out every now and then.

BigTazz

Still have a 19* Olimar Trimetal in my bag.It has a sweet feel and high launch when I hit it well.I use it to fill gap between my TM 5 wood and 4 hybrid distance wise.I've tried newer fairways and hybrids but keep coming back to this.

Sent from my SM-G900V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

MacGregor and it isn't even close.

AMEN!!!!!---- I can remember when Golfsmith bought and ruined that brand--- Anyone on here that is an old timer that knows me well knows I am a dyed in the wool Macgregor iron man. Lets see I have sets ranging from a set of 1940 Tommy Armours to 1986 Muirfields. I have just started venturing out in the classic Hogan field too but inside I am a Mac man. 

LOL one time my wife and I were in Golfsmith and she saw some Mac irons and told me there are some brand new Mac irons over there. I snarled at her "those are not real Mac irons they are junk" She has been married to me for 30 years and she knows when I snarl like that something is wrong. I took her over and explained to her that they were cast junk much to dismay of some of the present staff. She did go in self defense well there are some Macgregor golf bags over there. I snarled again "those are not real Macgregor golf bags like mine made by the Burton Company in the USA those are made in China and the zippers and such are crap!" I left at that point and never went back again.

Now being truthful I was never a big Mac wedge fan except for the 59 thru 62 FC wedges. Never was a big Mac putter fan either. I was mostly a big Wilson Staff ,Spalding or Hogan wedge fan. Was always a big Mac fairway wood fan but preferred either Izette custom drivers or Toney Penna

One of my biggest dreams if I hit a lottery was to buy the Macgregor name and go back to making quality FORGED blade irons like they used to and have quality craftsmen like Don White grinding them and have either Burton or Vessel making my bags

OK mini rant over

• Like 7

You know, I know I dropped MacGregor pretty quick, but I also miss the Strata line of golf balls and even the Dunlop Loco Pro line of golf balls too. Love those things, especially the ol' Loco Pro and the Strata Tour Ace, the golf balls of my youth.

On balls I would have to say the Dunlop HT-100 Balata-- My holy grail ball of all time