TESTERS WANTED! ×

Tommy Armour?

Steve S

Saw that Tommy Armour was listed on the 2018 most wanted test list as supporting MGS testing.  I thought Tommy Armour died when Sports Authority went under?  2+ years ago MGS got me interested with this article: 

https://mygolfspy.com/first-look-tommy-armour-845-black-driver/

I never saw anything after that although it appears that Sportchek in Canada may have or had them. 

Has anyone seen these drivers or any other TA equipment other than was is leftover from closeouts?

Driver:  Honma BeZeal 9.5 degree S flex

FW:  Adams Tight Lies 2022 3 wood & 5 wood

Irons: Giga Golf Reva 3-PW stiff UST 70 gram shafts,  Mizuno t-7 52degree

SW:  Mizuno T22 55 degree

Putter:  Inazone Stand up

I found some products on this site

https://www.dallasgolf.com/brands/Tommy-Armour.html

The wedge doesn't look half bad

https://www.dallasgolf.com/new-tommy-armour-evo-pro-spin-black-lob-wedge-60-rh-w-steel-shaft/

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

I really hope they do well- I can't stand it when good brands get sold and turned into crap.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

• 2 months later...

If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, then it looks like the MGS article on the new TA1 driver is being flattered:

MGS

https://mygolfspy.com/first-look-callaway-x-series-and-tommy-armour-ta1-drivers/

Copycats

http://www.emiratesnow.com/first-look-callaway-x-series-and-tommy-armour-ta1-drivers/

https://mrroymjohnson.wordpress.com/2018/02/19/first-look-callaway-x-series-and-tommy-armour-ta1-drivers/

https://www.factnfact.com/first-look-callaway-x-series-and-tommy-armour-ta1-drivers/

Not sure if this is the best way to bring this to MGS's attention, but I figure they want to know they're being ripped off.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, then it looks like the MGS article on the new TA1 driver is being flattered:

MGS

https://mygolfspy.com/first-look-callaway-x-series-and-tommy-armour-ta1-drivers/

Copycats

http://www.emiratesnow.com/first-look-callaway-x-series-and-tommy-armour-ta1-drivers/

https://mrroymjohnson.wordpress.com/2018/02/19/first-look-callaway-x-series-and-tommy-armour-ta1-drivers/

https://www.factnfact.com/first-look-callaway-x-series-and-tommy-armour-ta1-drivers/

Not sure if this is the best way to bring this to MGS's attention, but I figure they want to know they're being ripped off.

At least the middle one states at the end that the article came from MGS.

The first one cracks me up. It's like it was translated from English to (presumably) Arabic and back to English and something was lost.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

So, Tommy Armour was added by Dick's to the stable of company owned brands after the Sports Authority bust. It appears they are positioning it more as a quality store brand club over the Top Flite line of products they also produce for clubs. Interesting that it beat the standard M3 in the MWD testing and was ranking on the same tier with a Titleist driver.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

So, Tommy Armour was added by Dick's to the stable of company owned brands after the Sports Authority bust. It appears they are positioning it more as a quality store brand club over the Top Flite line of products they also produce for clubs. Interesting that it beat the standard M3 in the MWD testing and was ranking on the same tier with a Titleist driver.

I can't claim credit for this idea, but I wonder if these are Maltby clubs, seeing as how Dick's owns Golfworks. It would certainly make sense, and Dick's is a heck of a distribution channel for a Maltby design. I'd love to see Dick's really make a solid go of it with decent clubs worth of the TA name.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I took some swings with the TA1 demo 7i the other day and, tbh, i liked it a helluva lot more than the standard Callaway Rogue 7i.  less chunk than the Rogue and was giving better numbers on the juiced sim.  felt better than the rogue too.  too bad the cavity badging is so cheesy looking.  i think that'll probably be enough to turn off quite a few potential buyers.  no one wants to spend $600 on something that looks like it costs $200 and throw it in the bag.  shallow?  yes, but that's life.

I saw the line at DSG and thought they looked pretty decent in hand. If you like clean looks on your irons, then no this line probably isn't for you. But for someone who wants decent current sticks brand new? Not a bad option.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I can't claim credit for this idea, but I wonder if these are Maltby clubs, seeing as how Dick's owns Golfworks. It would certainly make sense, and Dick's is a heck of a distribution channel for a Maltby design. I'd love to see Dick's really make a solid go of it with decent clubs worth of the TA name.

Interesting you say that Loop. When Dick's was running the Omen (formerly Nickent) line of putters with the removable weights and the face groove tech, they were the same head shapes and tech from the Accusite putters you can buy on Golfworks right now. It wouldn't surprise me if their is synergy there, but just with different models and different materials.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

Sports Authority used to carry them.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Saw that Tommy Armour was listed on the 2018 most wanted test list as supporting MGS testing.  I thought Tommy Armour died when Sports Authority went under?  2+ years ago MGS got me interested with this article: 

https://mygolfspy.com/first-look-tommy-armour-845-black-driver/

I never saw anything after that although it appears that Sportchek in Canada may have or had them. 

Has anyone seen these drivers or any other TA equipment other than was is leftover from closeouts?

I was in SportChek a couple of hours ago, and although not looking for this specifically they did have some TA wedges and some drivers in stock.  Last time I looked at the full sets they had a few of those too. 

I was just in Golf Galaxy (Twin Cities, MN)- they had the full line. Of course, they parked the ($299) drivers right next to the rack of ($349) 2017 M1s and ($299) 2017 M2s. Good luck, TA...

WITB: 

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

I was in SportChek a couple of hours ago, and although not looking for this specifically they did have some TA wedges and some drivers in stock.  Last time I looked at the full sets they had a few of those too.

Were they carrying the new TA1's? Or clearing out old stock. It sounds like DSG is putting a little work into the TA1's.

I was just in Golf Galaxy (Twin Cities, MN)- they had the full line. Of course, they parked the ($299) drivers right next to the rack of ($349) 2017 M1s and ($299) 2017 M2s. Good luck, TA...

Wondering how many of those 2017 M-series drivers DSG has to clear out.

I saw the line at DSG and thought they looked pretty decent in hand. If you like clean looks on your irons, then no this line probably isn't for you. But for someone who wants decent current sticks brand new? Not a bad option.

I'd rather look bad and win...

But what I'd really like is to see them update the 845s and bring that club back.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

They did look pretty ugly, but if it was the best for me, I wouldn't be above a can of spray paint...

WITB: 

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

I actually like the look of them, the finish isn't amazing, but the overall color palette and design looks good to me.

My wife works at a DSG. And my first comment to her about them is that even if they hit it great, they are still $50-$100 too expensive. At their current price point they are directly competing with all of last year's Callaway and Taylormade lines. That is a hard sell.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

• 2 weeks later...

I actually like the look of them, the finish isn't amazing, but the overall color palette and design looks good to me.

My wife works at a DSG. And my first comment to her about them is that even if they hit it great, they are still $50-$100 too expensive. At their current price point they are directly competing with all of last year's Callaway and Taylormade lines. That is a hard sell.

The price point was exactly my thought when I saw them in the Golf Galaxy ad this week.  The iron set is $599.  You can get the Callaway Rogue 5-PW there for $562.99.  Granted the TA is 4-GW, but still doesn't really seem like much of a bargain.

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

Was quite surprised when I saw a TA putter just tied the Evenroll ER-8 in the MGS Most Wanted Mallet Putter testing. They must be doing something well! Especially for less than a 1/3 of the cost of most of the other putters on the list. 

Driver: TS3, 9* (C1 setting, surefit cartridge in fade setting)

3/4 Wood: 917D2, 16.5 degrees (D1 setting, surefit cartridge neutral)

Hybrid: Titleist 818 H2, 19 degrees (C3 setting, surefit cartridge neutral)

Irons: Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 4-Iron (23 degrees); Mizuno MP-18 SC 5-iron(26) and 6-iron(30); Mizuno MP-18 7-iron(34), 8-iron(38), 9-iron(42), and P Wedge(46). Nippon Modus 120x shafts. 1 degree upright.

Wedges: Mizuno S-18 50, 54, and 58 degrees. 50 is 1 degree upright, 54 and 58 are standard lie. Nippon Modus 120x, soft stepped in the 54 and 58.

Putter: Evnroll ER1

Right-handed

Atlanta, GA

Was quite surprised when I saw a TA putter just tied the Evenroll ER-8 in the MGS Most Wanted Mallet Putter testing. They must be doing something well! Especially for less than a 1/3 of the cost of most of the other putters on the list.

I didn't even think to check out the putters when I was at DSG. I was too busy being impressed with the irons having Recoils in them, vs TA-branded shafts.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I saw them yesterday at Golf Galaxy and originally thought they were different/more premium brand putter. They definitely look nice in person in my opinion

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

The price point was exactly my thought when I saw them in the Golf Galaxy ad this week. The iron set is $599. You can get the Callaway Rogue 5-PW there for $562.99. Granted the TA is 4-GW, but still doesn't really seem like much of a bargain.

Yeah, they feel good and look good enough, but hard to compete with the big 2 name brands at their price point.

As for the putter, I am going to go check it out tomorrow. 0 percent chance it replaces my Er2, but I still like to try new shiny things.

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

Educate me on this because I did not honestly know DSG owns Golfworks I know they bought Golfsmith but Golfworks as in Newark Ohio and Maltby?

DSG has had a history of buying old school  defunct golf equipment companies. lets see-- Walter Hagen, Maxfli, Dunlop Top Flite to name a few. 

Good gracious the Tommy Armour brand how many times has it been sold off over the years first Macgregor then PGA Golf Company and back when the 845s were made it was owned by some investment holding company. I bet the "Wee Scott" is rolling in his grave again

As far as putters with Tommy Armour on them I think I will stick with my Original 1957 IM-6 Macgregor one or my PGA brand one circa 1985. In fact I am gaming my 85 TA in my main bag now----- LOl you older hands on this sight know me and knew something like this would be springing from my key board ;)  :D

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Educate me on this because I did not honestly know DSG owns Golfworks I know they bought Golfsmith but Golfworks as in Newark Ohio and Maltby?

DSG has had a history of buying old school defunct golf equipment companies. lets see-- Walter Hagen, Maxfli, Dunlop Top Flite to name a few.

Good gracious the Tommy Armour brand how many times has it been sold off over the years first Macgregor then PGA Golf Company and back when the 845s were made it was owned by some investment holding company. I bet the "Wee Scott" is rolling in his grave again

As far as putters with Tommy Armour on them I think I will stick with my Original 1957 IM-6 Macgregor one or my PGA brand one circa 1985. In fact I am gaming my 85 TA in my main bag now----- LOl you older hands on this sight know me and knew something like this would be springing from my key board ;) :D

Dicks also owns Golf Galaxy.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I rolled one of their putters in Dicks and it felt pretty smooth!  I'm not in the market for a putter however for the price and the results on the MGS mallet putter testing, I can see how it would be something of interest. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

DSG has had a history of buying old school  defunct golf equipment companies. lets see-- Walter Hagen, Maxfli, Dunlop Top Flite to name a few.

Stu - Golf Galaxy bought The Golf Works back in '06.

https://sgbonline.com/golf-galaxy-sees-the-acquisition-of-the-golfworks-expanding-footprint/

Dick's picked them up in the Golf Galaxy acquisition.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I rolled one today I almost brought it home because of the price alone. Putted well with it but putted even better with an oworks putter.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I tried one out last night as well. I'm not in the market, but if I were, I'd strongly consider it. A year ago, I bought my daughter a used TM Corza Ghost. If this thing had been a thing, I'd have had her try it out.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Stu - Golf Galaxy bought The Golf Works back in '06.

https://sgbonline.com/golf-galaxy-sees-the-acquisition-of-the-golfworks-expanding-footprint/

Dick's picked them up in the Golf Galaxy acquisition.

Ok thanks for the education-- I have done business with Golfworks for years have always had excellent service---- I never get into business politics I just do business where I get good service

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Archived