Tommy Armour?

Steve S

Saw that Tommy Armour was listed on the 2018 most wanted test list as supporting MGS testing.  I thought Tommy Armour died when Sports Authority went under?  2+ years ago MGS got me interested with this article: 

https://mygolfspy.com/first-look-tommy-armour-845-black-driver/

I never saw anything after that although it appears that Sportchek in Canada may have or had them. 

Has anyone seen these drivers or any other TA equipment other than was is leftover from closeouts?

• Like 1

Driver:  Mizuno St-180 regular

FW:  Callaway XR 15 degree regular

Hybrids: Cobra  Amp 17.5 , Adams Tech 19 & 23 degree regular

Irons: Taylormade M2 Stiff steel 5-GW

SW:  Cleveland RTX 56 degree

Putter:  Odyssey DXF6000 blade

I found some products on this site

https://www.dallasgolf.com/brands/Tommy-Armour.html

The wedge doesn't look half bad

https://www.dallasgolf.com/new-tommy-armour-evo-pro-spin-black-lob-wedge-60-rh-w-steel-shaft/

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Taylormade M6 10.5*

FW: Callaway Steelhead Plus 4 wood

Hybrid: 18* 2 & 22* 4 Sub 70 949

Irons:  Sub 70 

639 CB 5 - 6

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Arm Lock
Ball: Titleist Pro V1X
Handicap index:  +2.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

I really hope they do well- I can't stand it when good brands get sold and turned into crap.

• Like 1

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

• 2 months later...

If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, then it looks like the MGS article on the new TA1 driver is being flattered:

MGS

https://mygolfspy.com/first-look-callaway-x-series-and-tommy-armour-ta1-drivers/

Copycats

http://www.emiratesnow.com/first-look-callaway-x-series-and-tommy-armour-ta1-drivers/

https://mrroymjohnson.wordpress.com/2018/02/19/first-look-callaway-x-series-and-tommy-armour-ta1-drivers/

https://www.factnfact.com/first-look-callaway-x-series-and-tommy-armour-ta1-drivers/

Not sure if this is the best way to bring this to MGS's attention, but I figure they want to know they're being ripped off.

• Like 6

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
GW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :taylormade-small: TP5X Pix
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, then it looks like the MGS article on the new TA1 driver is being flattered:

MGS

https://mygolfspy.com/first-look-callaway-x-series-and-tommy-armour-ta1-drivers/

Copycats

http://www.emiratesnow.com/first-look-callaway-x-series-and-tommy-armour-ta1-drivers/

https://mrroymjohnson.wordpress.com/2018/02/19/first-look-callaway-x-series-and-tommy-armour-ta1-drivers/

https://www.factnfact.com/first-look-callaway-x-series-and-tommy-armour-ta1-drivers/

Not sure if this is the best way to bring this to MGS's attention, but I figure they want to know they're being ripped off.

At least the middle one states at the end that the article came from MGS.

The first one cracks me up. It's like it was translated from English to (presumably) Arabic and back to English and something was lost.

• Like 2

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) Mitsubishi MMT 70X
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW: :cleveland-small: Zipcore Black Satin 58*
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x Pix
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

2021 Test - Callaway Epic Speed

So, Tommy Armour was added by Dick's to the stable of company owned brands after the Sports Authority bust. It appears they are positioning it more as a quality store brand club over the Top Flite line of products they also produce for clubs. Interesting that it beat the standard M3 in the MWD testing and was ranking on the same tier with a Titleist driver.

• Like 4

:mizuno-small: ST180, 10.5, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 15*, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX119 18* Hybrid, Projext X Evenflow Blue, 6.0

:ping-small: G710, 4-UW, Blue Dot, Nippon Modus 105-S

:honma: TW-W4, 56*, Nippon Modus 125

:mizuno-small: T20, 61*, Nippon Modus 125

SIK Golf Flo-C

:titelist-small: Pro V1X, 2021 Model, #33

So, Tommy Armour was added by Dick's to the stable of company owned brands after the Sports Authority bust. It appears they are positioning it more as a quality store brand club over the Top Flite line of products they also produce for clubs. Interesting that it beat the standard M3 in the MWD testing and was ranking on the same tier with a Titleist driver.

I can't claim credit for this idea, but I wonder if these are Maltby clubs, seeing as how Dick's owns Golfworks. It would certainly make sense, and Dick's is a heck of a distribution channel for a Maltby design. I'd love to see Dick's really make a solid go of it with decent clubs worth of the TA name.

• Like 2

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I took some swings with the TA1 demo 7i the other day and, tbh, i liked it a helluva lot more than the standard Callaway Rogue 7i.  less chunk than the Rogue and was giving better numbers on the juiced sim.  felt better than the rogue too.  too bad the cavity badging is so cheesy looking.  i think that'll probably be enough to turn off quite a few potential buyers.  no one wants to spend $600 on something that looks like it costs $200 and throw it in the bag.  shallow?  yes, but that's life.

• Like 1

I saw the line at DSG and thought they looked pretty decent in hand. If you like clean looks on your irons, then no this line probably isn't for you. But for someone who wants decent current sticks brand new? Not a bad option.

• Like 2

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10
Whatever ball I have 3 dozen of that my kids got me as a gift

Twitter: @russtopherb

I can't claim credit for this idea, but I wonder if these are Maltby clubs, seeing as how Dick's owns Golfworks. It would certainly make sense, and Dick's is a heck of a distribution channel for a Maltby design. I'd love to see Dick's really make a solid go of it with decent clubs worth of the TA name.

Interesting you say that Loop. When Dick's was running the Omen (formerly Nickent) line of putters with the removable weights and the face groove tech, they were the same head shapes and tech from the Accusite putters you can buy on Golfworks right now. It wouldn't surprise me if their is synergy there, but just with different models and different materials.

• Like 2

:mizuno-small: ST180, 10.5, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 15*, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX119 18* Hybrid, Projext X Evenflow Blue, 6.0

:ping-small: G710, 4-UW, Blue Dot, Nippon Modus 105-S

:honma: TW-W4, 56*, Nippon Modus 125

:mizuno-small: T20, 61*, Nippon Modus 125

SIK Golf Flo-C

:titelist-small: Pro V1X, 2021 Model, #33

Sports Authority used to carry them.

• Like 1

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

Saw that Tommy Armour was listed on the 2018 most wanted test list as supporting MGS testing.  I thought Tommy Armour died when Sports Authority went under?  2+ years ago MGS got me interested with this article: 

https://mygolfspy.com/first-look-tommy-armour-845-black-driver/

I never saw anything after that although it appears that Sportchek in Canada may have or had them. 

Has anyone seen these drivers or any other TA equipment other than was is leftover from closeouts?

I was in SportChek a couple of hours ago, and although not looking for this specifically they did have some TA wedges and some drivers in stock.  Last time I looked at the full sets they had a few of those too. 

• Like 1

I was just in Golf Galaxy (Twin Cities, MN)- they had the full line. Of course, they parked the ($299) drivers right next to the rack of ($349) 2017 M1s and ($299) 2017 M2s. Good luck, TA...

• Like 2

WITB: 

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

I was in SportChek a couple of hours ago, and although not looking for this specifically they did have some TA wedges and some drivers in stock.  Last time I looked at the full sets they had a few of those too.

Were they carrying the new TA1's? Or clearing out old stock. It sounds like DSG is putting a little work into the TA1's.

I was just in Golf Galaxy (Twin Cities, MN)- they had the full line. Of course, they parked the ($299) drivers right next to the rack of ($349) 2017 M1s and ($299) 2017 M2s. Good luck, TA...

Wondering how many of those 2017 M-series drivers DSG has to clear out.

I saw the line at DSG and thought they looked pretty decent in hand. If you like clean looks on your irons, then no this line probably isn't for you. But for someone who wants decent current sticks brand new? Not a bad option.

I'd rather look bad and win...

But what I'd really like is to see them update the 845s and bring that club back.

• Like 2

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

They did look pretty ugly, but if it was the best for me, I wouldn't be above a can of spray paint...

• Like 1

WITB: 

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

I saw the driver the other day at Dick's, I wasn't impressed by the look.

Agreed. They look cheap

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* VA Nemesys 65X

:ping-small: G425 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X

:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X

:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 - Tour AD 95X

:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW OBAN CT 115X(-)

:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50F - 54S - 60D

:EVNROLL: ER1v #CustomER

:titelist-small: ProV1

I actually like the look of them, the finish isn't amazing, but the overall color palette and design looks good to me.

My wife works at a DSG. And my first comment to her about them is that even if they hit it great, they are still $50-$100 too expensive. At their current price point they are directly competing with all of last year's Callaway and Taylormade lines. That is a hard sell.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 17.5° - Fujikura Pro

Utility:    :cobra-small: King Forged 20.5° Utility - Catalyst X

Irons:   image.png.cbfb2d938ea45d82004d9bdeb23cf643.pngD7 Forged GW-5i - Recoils

Wedges:   :Sub70:  JB 52° , 286 56°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

• 2 weeks later...

I actually like the look of them, the finish isn't amazing, but the overall color palette and design looks good to me.

My wife works at a DSG. And my first comment to her about them is that even if they hit it great, they are still $50-$100 too expensive. At their current price point they are directly competing with all of last year's Callaway and Taylormade lines. That is a hard sell.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

The price point was exactly my thought when I saw them in the Golf Galaxy ad this week.  The iron set is $599.  You can get the Callaway Rogue 5-PW there for $562.99.  Granted the TA is 4-GW, but still doesn't really seem like much of a bargain.

• Like 1

Driver: Taylormade SIM2
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – AW: Taylormade P760
SW: Vokey SM7 M Grind
LW: Cleveland RTX 4 X-Low
Putter: Ping Vault Oslo

Was quite surprised when I saw a TA putter just tied the Evenroll ER-8 in the MGS Most Wanted Mallet Putter testing. They must be doing something well! Especially for less than a 1/3 of the cost of most of the other putters on the list. 

• Like 2

Driver: TS3, 9* (C1 setting, surefit cartridge in fade setting)

3/4 Wood: 917D2, 16.5 degrees (D1 setting, surefit cartridge neutral)

Hybrid: Titleist 818 H2, 19 degrees (C3 setting, surefit cartridge neutral)

Irons: Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 4-Iron (23 degrees); Mizuno MP-18 SC 5-iron(26) and 6-iron(30); Mizuno MP-18 7-iron(34), 8-iron(38), 9-iron(42), and P Wedge(46). Nippon Modus 120x shafts. 1 degree upright.

Wedges: Mizuno S-18 50, 54, and 58 degrees. 50 is 1 degree upright, 54 and 58 are standard lie. Nippon Modus 120x, soft stepped in the 54 and 58.

Putter: Evnroll ER1

Right-handed

Atlanta, GA