TESTERS WANTED! ×

Rub of the green

revkev

This phrase refers to breaks that we might call good or bad depending upon the result.

Yesterday was full of the run going my way to the point that I shot 73 on a more difficult course without hitting the ball appreciably different from the week before when I shot 85. I did chip better yesterday which accounted for about three strokes.

Here's the lowdown on the rub!!!

The draw/borderline hook was out in full force. I had it the week before but the course was wet and so it was no help. Yesterday it was dry and firm. I was hitting it 20 yards past a guy who was hitting it neck and neck with me the week prior.

It seemed as if there was always someone showing me the line when putting - huge break.

Number 4 is a tough hole and the pin was right up against the back tier of the green. The only good spot to putt from was front right but there's a huge pot bunker there. After some thought I pulled 6 from 165, a stretch for me. I thinned it - but fast and firm there's a down hill runway to the green that funneled the ball onto the green 20 feet short and right of the pin. The one good spot to putt from.

It went like this all around to a 73.

The one bad break that I got was on 5..I hit a beautiful 5 from 178 that didn't quite turn enough - it caught the fringe but the part that slopes down a steep bank - fast and firm it went into the pond. Normally there's enough rough there to hold the ball up.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

This phrase refers to breaks that we might call good or bad depending upon the result.

Yesterday was full of the run going my way to the point that I shot 73 on a more difficult course without hitting the ball appreciably different from the week before when I shot 85. I did chip better yesterday which accounted for about three strokes.

Here's the lowdown on the rub!!!

The draw/borderline hook was out in full force. I had it the week before but the course was wet and so it was no help. Yesterday it was dry and firm. I was hitting it 20 yards past a guy who was hitting it neck and neck with me the week prior.

It seemed as if there was always someone showing me the line when putting - huge break.

Number 4 is a tough hole and the pin was right up against the back tier of the green. The only good spot to putt from was front right but there's a huge pot bunker there. After some thought I pulled 6 from 165, a stretch for me. I thinned it - but fast and firm there's a down hill runway to the green that funneled the ball onto the green 20 feet short and right of the pin. The one good spot to putt from.

It went like this all around to a 73.

The one bad break that I got was on 5..I hit a beautiful 5 from 178 that didn't quite turn enough - it caught the fringe but the part that slopes down a steep bank - fast and firm it went into the pond. Normally there's enough rough there to hold the ball up.

Sounds like you had a good day putting and striking the ball.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

A lot of good fortune

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

A lot of good fortune

I hope some of that rubs off next month!

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Rub o' the green or luck. Good or bad. Love these days. Especially when I'm the one getting the good break!

I got to thinking about the Term: Rub of the Green as I used it just the other day also. (incorrectly I now know) A buddy hit a nice shot to the green but we watched as it continued to trickle off the back and down a slope. His ball ended up in a deep depression now making for a most difficult chip up & down. He complained but I said, "sorry - rub of the green pal." Actually it was just bad luck for him. But good luck for me.

I'm not taking away from Rev's post at all. I'm sure we've all use the term to describe either good or bad luck depending on who's on the receiving end of the situation. Below is the definition as described by the R&A. Honesty I have never looked it up before but just assumed what Rub Of the Green actually entailed. Me and Rev both experienced a variant of Luck. But not Rub of the Green. However, if my friend had struck a nice approach only to have his shot deflected by an overhanging branch then he would have experienced Rub of the Green. And bad luck! 

https://www.randa.org/Rules-of-Golf/MainRules/19-Ball-in-Motion-Deflected-or-Stopped/SubRules/1-By-Outside-Agency

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Actually the ruling said ‘a' rub of the green meaning there are other occurrences that fit, not strictly animals - I would respectfully maintain it is all manner of items that effect a shot which are beyond the player's control.

I agree that I call it luck or break more than anything else.

Yesterday's round was full of mixed or even bad “luck.” It started on one when my beautifully struck hybrid hit a rake and bounced back into a bunker rather than feeding forward toward the pin. My well struck bunker shot hit the down slope of a rain she and caromed off the green. I made a great up and down for bogey. I was already two shots behind my last round and I hadn't hit a bad shot.

Additionally a cold front moved through while we were on 8. 12 holes ended up playing into the wind rather than the even split we were looking at when we tree'd off.

I ended up shooting another 73 but I was better in every facet of the game than I was the last time that I played. I didn't get the breaks and the course conditions were far more difficult.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Archived