Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Qutting Golf

QuietStorm

I am cosidering quitting golf as I found myself dealing with this equation for sometime:

time + effort + money = frustration

Anybody in the same situation?

<div style="font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(29,33,41);font-size:12px;"><span style="font-size:14px;color:rgb(75,79,86);font-family:inherit;">Titleist 917D2 9.5* Diamana BF 50 (S)Titleist 917F2 18*

Diamana BF 60 (S)Titleist 816H1 23* Diamana S+ 70 (S) Titleist 716MB (5-P) NSPRO 950GH (S)Titleist SM5 50* F Grind NS Pro Modus 105 (W)Titleist SM5 54* M Grind NS Pro Modus 105 (W)Titleist SM5 58* M Grind NS Pro Modus 105 (W)Titleist Scotty Cameron GoLo 5</span></div><div style="font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(29,33,41);font-size:12px;"> </div>

I am cosidering quitting golf as I found myself dealing with this equation for sometime:

It's personal choice. If you're not having fun and you'd rather spend time and money elsewhere then absolutely stop playing

Been there before. When it was time I hated it, when it was money, I just practiced a lot. Practice led a lot of wedges in my yard. Frustration was when I couldn't put them all together at once.

Hang in there. Golf is one of the greatest inventions. It's a stroll not a sprint as a very wise man on here said.

Went through a time when I did quit, for four years. I was putting too much pressure on myself and didn't really have the money to play as much as I wanted. When I did come back to golf it was for a work outing and just a scramble. Had no expectations for myself other than to have fun. The separation made me appreciate it more for the game it is. Take a break! Then come back if you want to.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Searching
Wood: Cobra Fly-Z 3 wood factory stiff shaft
Hybrid: Cobra Baffler 3-hybrid factory stiff shaft
Irons: Cobra F8 One Length 5-GW
Wedges: 52,56,60 Mizuno mp t5
Putter: Sentio Red (Medium)
Ball: Bridgestone E6 Speed, and Titleist Pro V1

My brothers both gave it up years ago, mostly for the general frustration. If one is not having “fun” out there, there's no reason to keep doing it, but that goes with anything in life.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I have been in that situation many times. You really have to just have fun. Just don't worry about your score -- heck, don't even keep score. It's all about enjoying your time out there. That's what keeps us comimg back.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

I truly love this game but sometimes you need a break. I am glad we get a few months away from the game each year here in Illinois. It gives me time to recharge the golf batteries and enjoy other areas of my life. So you might not need to quit just take a little break.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

Interesting topic.I personally think quit immediately if your not having fun/ frustrated or think golf is over priced.The longer you hang on to a hobby you hate the worse the separation turns out.Find something you enjoy doing and give it your full attention.In a short amount of time, you will have completely forgotten about golf.

Keep it in the short stuff

If it's about the poor play lower your expectations and play just for the opportunity to get outdoors to enjoy exercise, scenery, & your buddies.  As for not having time to play then wait until you retire and you'll have all the time you need.   If it's about the money part then you need to  find a low cost hobby like coon hunting. Hunt for the treeing aspect and don't shoot the poor critter. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I started a new job in 2007 and stopped playing. Then I started having kids so I didn't play again until 2014. I was so busy during that time I didn't miss golf at all. I actually thought I might not play anymore as the guitar became my new hobby I could enjoy without leaving the house.

Well, our situations always change. In 2014 we moved to a house on a golf course, I started playing again, I began teaching my wife to play and now my oldest daughter is about to start lessons. I'm glad I didn't lose my love of the game as I hope to have many more years playing with my wife and kids, and even grandkids someday.

Maybe it is time in your life to step away from the game a bit. If you don't want to put in the effort, well maybe it's just not for you. But if it's lack of time and money, well hopefully your situation changes and you can get back into the game in the future.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

I took an extended break. Was down to a 5.5 and then developed the “hosel fades”, aka shanks to an extent that I could not hit the ball. It was the worst. Left the game for over a year due to some work circumstances, came back and they were gone. I would say take a break for a while. It's a great game that should be enjoyable. If it's not that for you right now it's a waste of time and money.

Lots of good advice here. I find that if I'm frustrated when I take a break I come back reenergized and do better. Unless your planning on making a living at golf , it's about having fun and building friendships.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Probably I need a break.

I became an avid player in 2007. Have been investing thousands of dollars especially in equipments. I practise almost every afternoon. And everyday, I feel tired and have no time for other activities.

Yet, my game does not commensurate the resources consumed and hence, frustration in every single game.

<div style="font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(29,33,41);font-size:12px;"><span style="font-size:14px;color:rgb(75,79,86);font-family:inherit;">Titleist 917D2 9.5* Diamana BF 50 (S)Titleist 917F2 18*

Diamana BF 60 (S)Titleist 816H1 23* Diamana S+ 70 (S) Titleist 716MB (5-P) NSPRO 950GH (S)Titleist SM5 50* F Grind NS Pro Modus 105 (W)Titleist SM5 54* M Grind NS Pro Modus 105 (W)Titleist SM5 58* M Grind NS Pro Modus 105 (W)Titleist Scotty Cameron GoLo 5</span></div><div style="font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(29,33,41);font-size:12px;"> </div>

I'm kind of guessing your mind's made up with those 4 elements gnawing on you. I'm not in your situation as I've been a lifelong golfer and it's my thing quite frankly. I couldn't imagine myself walking away based on your equation. I concede that golf can be time consuming especially if you're interested in improving. Which by the way never ends at any level of proficiency. To enjoy and progress; golf can take a reasonable amount of effort too. (practice, playing, lessons, etc.) Golf can be expensive I suppose (relative to your income) based on where you play and how much. Lastly, golf might be the most frustrating game known to man. So if you can't overcome your 4 elements or at least learn to live with them and accept them you might be done. EDIT: Let's face it.... golf isn't for everyone nor is it meant to be.

Best wishes with your decision.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I think every golfer that takes the game somewhat seriously has been there.

Time... unless you are retired and don't have the daily grind to contend with, it can get hard to find time to play/practice. I average 50+ hours a week for 9 months out of the year, so I understand.

Effort.... you get out of it what you put into it, within reason. You can only get so good without lessons and another set of eyes. No amount of practice on your own will help if you practice the wrong way or the wrong things. That's a broad brush statement, but it's by and large, true.

Money..... I can really relate to this one. I don't have the income to play "nice" courses too many times a season. I play my local public course 80% of the time because I pay $330.00 a year for a membership that allows me to play the entire year for that price if I walk. If I ride, it's $10.00 a round during the week and $12.00 a round on weekends. I do play "nice" courses a few times a season.

Frustration.... yep, it's just part of the game. We all want to play well every time we go out. The reality is that we are all just playing a game that in my opinion is the hardest game there is to be good at.

I've learned to just accept that I'm a working man that has limited time and funds to allocate to golf. I will never be a + or low single digit player.... unless I win the lottery...lol. Just have fun and enjoy your time playing the game. Enjoy your time with your buddies and the fact that you aren't at work, mowing the lawn or some other task you'd rather not do.

It's really not so serious as to give up something you enjoy just because you can't be very good at it. Just my .02.

I think every golfer that takes the game somewhat seriously has been there.

Time... unless you are retired and don't have the daily grind to contend with, it can get hard to find time to play/practice. I average 50+ hours a week for 9 months out of the year, so I understand.

Effort.... you get out of it what you put into it, within reason. You can only get so good without lessons and another set of eyes. No amount of practice on your own will help if you practice the wrong way or the wrong things. That's a broad brush statement, but it's by and large, true.

Money..... I can really relate to this one. I don't have the income to play "nice" courses too many times a season. I play my local public course 80% of the time because I pay $330.00 a year for a membership that allows me to play the entire year for that price if I walk. If I ride, it's $10.00 a round during the week and $12.00 a round on weekends. I do play "nice" courses a few times a season.

Frustration.... yep, it's just part of the game. We all want to play well every time we go out. The reality is that we are all just playing a game that in my opinion is the hardest game there is to be good at.

I've learned to just accept that I'm a working man that has limited time and funds to allocate to golf. I will never be a + or low single digit player.... unless I win the lottery...lol. Just have fun and enjoy your time playing the game. Enjoy your time with your buddies and the fact that you aren't at work, mowing the lawn or some other task you'd rather not do.

It's really not so serious as to give up something you enjoy just because you can't be very good at it. Just my .02.

What he said  ^^^^^^^    When we start taking golf too serious is when we're gonna get our feelings hurt.......

Cleveland

Probably I need a break.

I became an avid player in 2007. Have been investing thousands of dollars especially in equipments. I practise almost every afternoon. And everyday, I feel tired and have no time for other activities.

Yet, my game does not commensurate the resources consumed and hence, frustration in every single game.

Hang in there. It can be a frustrating game. Some thoughts from my experience, along what others have said:

First question is to step back and ask are your expectations realistic? The game won't be fun if they aren't. I was in that boat.

Are you practicing based upon good face to face instruction, or just reinforcing bad habits based on what you think you're doing wrong? Internet videos can't replace good F2F instruction either. If you have an instructor and don't seem to be improving, nothing wrong with trying to find someone else. I had a guy I was seeing for a short time, and while he helped, it was more him trying to adapt to my habits. I searched and found another guy , a little bit more expensive, but night and day swing in one lesson. He took me back to fundamentals. In an hour, it was magical. I started practicing what worked and after a few lessons to ensure we reinforced the good habits, we back off in frequency due to money but did 30 min check-ins when needed. Most times it's such a subtle tweak to a position or swing mechanic, I wouldn't have figured it out. He videos the lessons and diagrams on the screen my bad vs good swings, which helps me because I'm a visual learned. I can see what I'm doing wrong. Still see him a few times a year when I fall off the wagon. I'm never going to be on tour, but I'm enjoying the game so much more now because I'm playing MY game now.

Is it the arrow or the Indian?

Then I went and got fitted for equipment a little at a time, once my swing was reasonably solid and consistent. I'm now a firm believer that's it's difficult, if not risky financially, to just buy off the rack. Getting the right shaft has been huge. It doesn't have to be expensive either to get fitted, and can help when looking at used clubs too. Everyone hypes this or that new club. I found the shaft and heads that I hit solidly, with the best dispersion, that I could play. Not what some ranking or video pro says is great.

Mentally, I used to beat myself up. I should have scored better on a hole. Taking too aggressive a shot to keep up or beat the guys I was playing with. And then I'd fall apart. Now, I just play myself and the hole as smartly as I can. If I screw up, it's a lesson I can't get on the range. Which is the other thing I've learned. The range is for practicing fundamentals. The course is where you practice the game. That maybe a ‘duh' moment for many of you, but I too struggled and got frustrated with ineffective practice. I wasn't practicing right. Now I try to go out even to just play 9 as a single. It took a few rounds to get past being nervous as a single, but reminded myself I'm playing me - not these other guys. It's my practice round.

Hopefully something here is helpful. It's a great, challenging, and certainly a frustrating game at times. You're not alone.

Well the question was: “anybody else in that same situation?”

I'm not.

Have I ever felt like quitting? Of course.

Have I taken a break? Well I spent the first 50 years of my life in Northern Climates so breaks of some type were enforced. I also took a break when my first child was born. I didn't quit altogether but backed way off and used those couple of years to rebuild my swing away from the reverse C of the 70's to something easier on the back.

I had been very frustrated the last couple of years so I worked hard on my game, recalibrated my expectations and admitted that having crossed the barrier of 60 it's okay to play the set of tees that allows me to have fun.

Of course this all is up to you. That's my journey - Golf is an important stress release for me. I can't let it go at this point.

Best wishes!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

You have to be the champion of life. Golf is a recreational sport. Only those who make money on the sport can call it a job, and for them frustration is delt with as I would with my employment.

Those who cannot accept that are the ones who will leave. I know my abilities on the course. Do I want to improve? You better believe I do, and will continue to. However; the only one I'm playing against is myself. Added to that, I love being outdoors and enjoying sun, grass, woods, birds, water, wind, rain, sand, and using all those to make my game of golf and adventure.

What ever you do next, best of luck.

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

I play once or twice per week, and maybe parctice chipping and putting twice a month, I maintain a 4-6 Hcp. With minimal time putt into it. Take some time away from practicing so much. Learn to enjoy just going out with the guys on Saturday or whenever you go.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

If you really wanted to quit you'd have done it already.

We're all excited to see pics of you on the course this summer. 🤙🏼

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Been there, felt that...

take a break.  I took a two year break after my 2nd was born.  not saying that long of a break is needed but sometimes priorities overtake over elements of our life.  I came back to the game when I was ready and am 100% back into it.  Whats great now is that my son who is a 5yo wants to play.  I also lowered my expectations after I came back which helped me enjoy the game much more.  I am now playing at a higher level than before I took my break.  Golf is a funny game...

:callaway-small:  Epic Flash SZ 9o w/ Ventus 6X

:callaway-small:  Rogue 4wd w/ ATMOS Red 7X

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20o w/ ATMOS Blue 7S tipped 1"

:mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour 4i - PW (standard lofts) Rifle

:titelist-small:  SM6 51o, 59o, SM7 55o   

:titelist-small:  2019 ProV1x

:tp-mills-1: Custom Ming

I should also add that I quit for almost 3 years after I left my PGA apprenticeship. Golf was toxic, rancid nonsense to me at the time. I had a golf shop swing, couldn't break 90 and was emotionally drained from the mind-numbing interactions with members; listening to the same endless stories and drama while explaining the same policy to them every week. I get where you're coming from. My greatest regret was not taking the break, it was selling my Titleist 670's. To this day I wish I could talk to 25 year old Steve and talk some sense into him.

Anyways, don't take life too serious. It sounds like you have a good plan and you should trust your gut. Enjoy every moment and reevaluate the metaphorical bucket we carry every day. How much of that weight is essential for day-to-day living? Good luck!

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

been there but Im 51 yrs old and love the game. I played college basketball received scholarship division 2 - I didnt start playing golf until I was 30 - actually did stop playing golf for 2 years because I was frustrated like you - played 2 man beach volleyball. Anyway I have no other sport I love like golf that lets me compete at 51 yrs old. It can be all you explained - I simplify my swing and do what works for me 10.5 ghin trying to get back to 7 - I know I will but it is a very expensive sport.

Good luck

Bags

Expectation vs reality....

If that equals your frustration, then I would quit.

I think there are limits to most amateurs games, based on many things, but not everyone has a natural swing, and no amount of money thrown at lessons will ever create a “good” golfer.

“Good”, being a subjective description. So really then, a good game for many people can be 85-100. Accepting reality can relieve the stress of the game.

But, if you're feeling like you should be shooting in the 70's, but never break 85, then you'll always be frustrated.

I wish I could play drums like John Bonham- and be a million dollar band.

But I understand that I'm just a decent drummer, and I find that by staying within myself I can be in a decent bar band.

That's the reality, and I've made peace with that, and guess what?

I still get to have a blast rocking out with my buddies.

I think a key to happiness in life is printed on one of my coffee cups..

“Lower your expectations”

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Knowing what the game means to me, I find it extremely difficult to suggest to anyone that they quit the game.  Accordingly, I would suggest perhaps, one takes a respite from the game.   During that time, one must focus on "Why" one plays the game.   Personally, for me, I knew that I was not a natural so to speak and would never be that A player.  For me, the why as in most activities is to be the best that I can be, but more importantly for me its the social aspects of the game.  If not for the game, I have friends and buds that I would not have.   When one truly understands why one plays the game and how it meets or does not meet one's personal purposes and needs, then one will be in a better position to decide whether or not to continue.  Don't let frustration be the primary determinant, frustration can be over come, but current and future friendships can be lost.

Knowing what the game means to me, I find it extremely difficult to suggest to anyone that they quit the game.  Accordingly, I would suggest perhaps, one takes a respite from the game.   During that time, one must focus on "Why" one plays the game.   Personally, for me, I knew that I was not a natural so to speak and would never be that A player.  For me, the why as in most activities is to be the best that I can be, but more importantly for me its the social aspects of the game.  If not for the game, I have friends and buds that I would not have.   When one truly understands why one plays the game and how it meets or does not meet one's personal purposes and needs, then one will be in a better position to decide whether or not to continue.  Don't let frustration be the primary determinant, frustration can be over come, but current and future friendships can be lost.

Most of us will never have or develop the talent to be a scratch golfer however we all can be a scratch friend maker.  

Cleveland

Archived