TESTERS WANTED! ×

Heavy club or lighter club

As I age every year I am trying to maintain my club head speed. I do a golf specific workout and have maintained my flexibility well. My question is what is better? Is it better to swing a heavy club and try to build swing speed or is it better to swing a lighter club? I could see Ben if it's from both just wanted to see what everyone's thinks.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

I switched to a lighter club trying to help keep my SS up, but it caused the ball to go all over the place, I felt like I was swinging well, but one shot would go Left the next right, I switched back to a much heavier shaft and now it's much better, I tend to miss left instead being all over, and I didn't lose very much distance, maybe 2-3 yards.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Kit.A.Door that makes sense but I'm looking for more of a practice element and not the actual shafts I'm playing

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

I switched to a lighter club trying to help keep my SS up, but it caused the ball to go all over the place, I felt like I was swinging well, but one shot would go Left the next right, I switched back to a much heavier shaft and now it's much better, I tend to miss left instead being all over, and I didn't lose very much distance, maybe 2-3 yards.

This is exactly my findings. Light = all over the planet and heavy = fighting chance

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

So how about for working out? Heavy club to build the golf muscles or just a shaft to train the body to swing faster.

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Check out superspeedgolf.com.  I've never tried it, but they have a pretty decent tour staff using it and I've read good things.

Basically they have 3 different weights.  You start lighter to learn to swing it faster, then increase the weight and try to keep the speed.  This is from their FAQ section...

Overspeed Training works by getting the body to move at a faster than normal speed during a known motor pattern. Essentially the brain has a set range of speed for the neuro-muscular response when a golfer makes a golf swing. We first need to increase the response speed from the body by reducing the “load” or in this case the weight of the club. We then need to gradually increase this load to teach the brain that the body is capable of running the motor pattern faster. In our application to golf, we use a club that is about 20% lighter than a driver, one that is 10% lighter, and one that is 5% heavier in order to achieve maximum results from overspeed training.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

As I age every year I am trying to maintain my club head speed. I do a golf specific workout and have maintained my flexibility well. MyGolfSpy

For what I think you're asking : heavy, just like baseball, they'll use heavy (weighted balls, bats) to help with strength & flexibility. I have & use off and on a weighted 5 iron. Don't try to swing hard with it & yes you can hit balls with it. You'll notice a difference when you go back hitting your normal irons.

Check out superspeedgolf.com. I've never tried it, but they have a pretty decent tour staff using it and I've read good things.

Basically they have 3 different weights. You start lighter to learn to swing it faster, then increase the weight and try to keep the speed. This is from their FAQ section...

Overspeed Training works by getting the body to move at a faster than normal speed during a known motor pattern. Essentially the brain has a set range of speed for the neuro-muscular response when a golfer makes a golf swing. We first need to increase the response speed from the body by reducing the “load” or in this case the weight of the club. We then need to gradually increase this load to teach the brain that the body is capable of running the motor pattern faster. In our application to golf, we use a club that is about 20% lighter than a driver, one that is 10% lighter, and one that is 5% heavier in order to achieve maximum results from overspeed training.

I've see a couple of other guys mention these in different parts of the forum. I will have to look into these.

Thanks Meyer

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

As I age every year I am trying to maintain my club head speed. I do a golf specific workout and have maintained my flexibility well. My question is what is better? Is it better to swing a heavy club and try to build swing speed or is it better to swing a lighter club? I could see Ben if it's from both just wanted to see what everyone's thinks.

I played baseball and softball for many, many years, and always used heavy to worm up. So for practice, I would swing heavier so that your clubs feel lighter, which would make your swing faster. I am not sure how it would relate to an on target swing, but it should up your swingspeed.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I've see a couple of other guys mention these in different parts of the forum. I will have to look into these.

Thanks Meyer

I have used this system for about a year and it has been great.  All of the research this company has done shows that swinging heavy things does not make you faster.  The founders also talk about pre-round warmup.  When there is not time to hit balls before a round I used to swing two wedges to warm up.  Their studies have shown that this will slow down your swing for a couple of holes.  Now I swing my driver to warm up and then turn it upside down and do a couple of really fast swings with the shaft to get my fast twitch muscles firing.  

This is one of the training aids that I feel is really worth the money.  

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

I think I will be getting this from superspeed. Site is very informational and it might be just what I need.

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Swing the heavier club to help build some up the muscles a little. Swinging lighter helps build the fast twitch. I would do some of both.

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

I took a cue from my putter, and have gone to heavier clubs. I find that if I start with a good back swing they're easier to return to a good position at impact. Faster SS, most assuredly not. Straighter shots, most definitely. FWIW, I'm a perfectly happy bogey golfer and this approach helps keep the doubles and dreaded others off the card.

Sent from my SM-N950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Wishon clubs, Odyssey CS stroke lab putter

I have used this system for about a year and it has been great. All of the research this company has done shows that swinging heavy things does not make you faster. The founders also talk about pre-round warmup. When there is not time to hit balls before a round I used to swing two wedges to warm up. Their studies have shown that this will slow down your swing for a couple of holes. Now I swing my driver to warm up and then turn it upside down and do a couple of really fast swings with the shaft to get my fast twitch muscles firing.

This is one of the training aids that I feel is really worth the money.

Appreciate your take...something I will start researching...and then want

Meyer and the super speed system are correct

In long drive we've trained this way for years vs just swinging heavy or medicus heavy head set ups alone

Swinging heavy doesn't increase speeds. It's builds muscle memory of swinging slower. Over speed training swinging lighter and heavier in certain reps and methods builds much better speed more memory to swing fast and get balanced doing it

Toddo

I switched my driver and 3w to 75g shafts and my 3 hybrid came with an 80g shaft. Feels like I have more control with the heavier shaft. Am I'm not reallly sure I lost much distance if any at all.

I don't think the thread is about weight in the clubs you are gaining. It's talking about the use of training clubs.

I have nothing to contribute but have been reading along with great interest. Thanks guys

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Meyer and the super speed system are correct

In long drive we've trained this way for years vs just swinging heavy or medicus heavy head set ups alone

Swinging heavy doesn't increase speeds. It's builds muscle memory of swinging slower. Over speed training swinging lighter and heavier in certain reps and methods builds much better speed more memory to swing fast and get balanced doing it

Toddo

+1 more for Super Speed. Our junior director (and coach of both my daughters) uses it. It's finally teaching my little one to swing faster.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I just got fitted and thought i would end up with a lighter shaft, i am 50 and thought lighter would help but ended up with s300 shafts, the lighter shafts only increased my ss by 1 -2 mph but was shorter on carry distance, the s300 i was at 91 ss at 181 carry with tighter dispersion than the lighter shaft. Would have never believed it till i did trackman fitting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

What about the Orange Whip? Shouldn't that help with swing speed?

Krank Formula X Veylix Alpina 573 45" 9*

:755178188_TourEdge:CBX 3 Wood Matrix HD Radix S VIII 43" 15*

Krank Formula X 5 Wood Matrix HD Radix S VIII 42" 18*

Wishon Golf 775HS 3H Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid X-Flex  39.75" 21*

Wishon Golf 585HI 3DI  same shaft as irons 38.25" 21*

Wishon Golf 575 MMC Forged 5-A N.S.Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Wishon Golf Micro-Groove HM S, L same shaft as irons 

:EVNROLL: ER7B Gravity Grip 35"

Orange whip won't build Speed but rather will help with LAG and hands positioning through the impact zone. To increase speed you must OVERspeed train by going lighter (faster, speedier) and heavier as well to build muscle &memory!

Archived