TESTERS WANTED! ×

New Driver Recommendation

Ronoc

Looking for some recommendations/tips/suggestions on choosing my new driver. I started getting into golf seriously last spring with a mixed set of used clubs. By middle of the summer I upgraded to a brand new set of Callaway Steelhead irons that my wife got me for an anniversary present. I get to the course a few times a month and usually get to the driving range weekly.

I am not looking to break the bank and understand that I don't need the most expensive club out there to get better. Based on some basic research and feedback I got from the guys at Golf Galazy, I have narrowed it down to these three:

-Callaway XR

-Ping 

-Taylormade M2

Thoughts?

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M2 D-Type, 9.5 degrees, (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

3/4W -  :cobra-small: King F6 Black 3-4 Wood (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

4H -  :callaway-small: Rogue (Stiff flex) (Stock grip) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

4-AW -  :callaway-small: Steelhead XR Irons (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grips, 7i with Winn Dri-Tac X Grip) 

SW -  :callaway-small: 56* X-Wedge

60* -  :callaway-small: MD4 Wedge

Putter - Odyssey White Hot RX #7

Bag -  :callaway-small: ORG 14 cart bag

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking for some recommendations/tips/suggestions on choosing my new driver. I started getting into golf seriously last spring with a mixed set of used clubs. By middle of the summer I upgraded to a brand new set of Callaway Steelhead irons that my wife got me for an anniversary present. I get to the course a few times a month and usually get to the driving range weekly.

I am not looking to break the bank and understand that I don't need the most expensive club out there to get better. Based on some basic research and feedback I got from the guys at Golf Galazy, I have narrowed it down to these three:

-Callaway XR

-Ping 

-Taylormade M2

Thoughts?

I'd highly recommend you purchase a driver that is one for more years older. You can still buy them brand new for a fraction of the original cost. Here's the deal and an example...

Two-three weeks ago I purchased a brand spanking new 2015 Cobra Fly-Z+ for $89! It's the exact driver I've been wanting to test. Sure, I could have purchased the newest latest model driver ... but why? Back in 2015 the Cobra Fly-Z and Fly-Z+ were the top rated drivers my MGS. Fact: the technology doesn't - can't change much because of USGA specifications. The boundaries are maxed out basically. I play with a guy that owns the 2017 Callaway Epic which claims in advertising you'll gain 20 more yards. Well, my friend sure doesn't. He doesn't hit it any further than the TM M2 he was using prior. I still drive it as far, sometimes further or equivalent to him with my 2014 SLDR. Your game will not lose anything by not showing up on the 1st tee with new $400-$500 driver. Give it some serious consideration.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I agree with PlaidJacket. I just bought a new Ping G for 150 at my local pro shop. Just try to get fit for the club you want. Most stores price match too.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Krank Formula X Veylix Alpina 573 45" 9*

:755178188_TourEdge:CBX 3 Wood Matrix HD Radix S VIII 43" 15*

Krank Formula X 5 Wood Matrix HD Radix S VIII 42" 18*

Wishon Golf 775HS 3H Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid X-Flex  39.75" 21*

Wishon Golf 585HI 3DI  same shaft as irons 38.25" 21*

Wishon Golf 575 MMC Forged 5-A N.S.Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Wishon Golf Micro-Groove HM S, L same shaft as irons 

:EVNROLL: ER7B Gravity Grip 35"

Yeah, if you're near a big box store .. eg. PGA Tour Superstore .. there will be a large selection of used clubs - especially drivers - and you can take them into the hitting may and try them out.

Another alternative is if there'sa decent sized practice range near you - many have a small shop with bags and bags of used clubs that you can test out there.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I agree with going to a local golf store and seeing if they carry used clubs.   If they do,  try what they have on their launch monitor to see what kind of performance you get and how you like the clubs.   Experimenting with different clubs is the best way to figure out what works for you.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Agree wholeheartedly with PlaidJacket and cnosil. Be sure to bring in your current gamer for comparisons. Don't inadvertently buy something that doesn't beat what's already in your bag. Don't take what the monitor says at face value; do A/B testing against your current gamer to make an apples to apples comparison.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Getting a 2 to 3 year old driver is really the way to go.  If you get one at the right price on eBay or a site like Callaway Preowned you can "demo" a club and then re-sell if you don't like it.  Even if you loose $20 to $30 on the transaction that is not a bad deal to do a full test of the club at both the range and on the course.  

Right now I read the latest reviews and the most wanted knowing I will be shopping for these clubs in 2 years.  Can't wait for the Cobra F8+ to be two years old and be on eBay for under $150.  

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

I have another suggestion you may wish to entertain and I also provided a link below where you can buy a brand new one..

This TaylorMade 2015 model flew under the radar, but it's as good as a driver gets with a fitted shaft!  No gimmicks here, just solid all-around performance, (i.e. long, straight drives with excellent sound and feel). It is reminiscent of an old favorite of mine, the R580XD-TP Tour Driver, but because it is part of the SLDR Family, it has less spin.

You'll note that an elastomer-filled 'Speed Pocket or 'Speed Slot', has replaced the slider mechanism just as with the M2 Driver TM introduced shortly after this one, (near the end of 2015). 

Unlike the original SLDR models from 2013-2014, this one is designed to be forgiving and there is no need to 'loft up' either, as it plays completely true-to-loft!  As you can see, it's a great looking (gloss black) head as well!  A very 'classic' TM look!

Note:  I installed the Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s shaft shown below, which I was previously fitted for, but YMMV applies to shaft fittings. (The TM stock shafts are designed to fit a wide array of skill levels, but will not by default be the best shaft option for any particular player).

Best to get fitted for the shaft just as I was for the one below!Kusala61.jpg

You can still find these 'brand new' on ebay as indicated by the link below:  GRAB A NEW 9.5* WHILE YOU STILL CAN!  You'll be very glad that you did!... :rolleyes:

New TaylorMade SLDR C 460 Driver (9.5-) - RH- TaylorMade SLDR 57 Regular

SLDR-C Driver.jpg

SLDRCrownLarge.jpg

sldrcFACE.jpg

HeadcoverLarge.jpg 

IT WILL  standthetest.png AGAINST NEWER DRIVERS

bearExec.jpg       TRUST IT!

What's in Bobcat's Bag?  (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)

Driver: :taylormade-small: 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s, (1/2" tip)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Tour issue 15* V-Steel 3W - Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff

Fairway/Hybrid: :taylormade-small: 15* Rescue Fairway "3-Strong" - VP-90 Stiff 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: #3 (19*) & #4 (22*) Rescue-Mid TP's - Vista Pro 90 Stiff 

Driving Irons: :taylormade-small: UDI #1 (16*) & #3 (20*) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff

Iron Set: :taylormade-small: SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff

Hybrid Wedges: :cleveland-small: 2011 Niblicks 42*PW, 49*DW, 56*SW - Stock

SW/LW: :cleveland-small: CG-16 Black Pearl 58* Low Bounce 8* - Stock Steel Shaft

Putter: :bettinardi-small: BBX-81 Blade - Stock Bettinardi Steel Shaft 

Nice drop in Bobcat! Love it

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Bobcat!!!! Meeeooowwwwwwww!!! Betta play that C!!! Upgrade the shaft tho....

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Bobcat,,, TaylorMade should pay you a commission

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Bobcat,,, TaylorMade should pay you a commission

Maybe a “C note”!!!!!!

Maybe a “C note”!!!!!!

LMAO!  :D

Cleveland

Maybe a “C note”???

That's about all you'll need for a 'brand new' 9.5* on ebay right now!..  :rolleyes:

Just add a properly fitted shaft and you'll be good to go!.  :)

Headcover Small.jpg (A 'new' 9.5* loft is hard to find)   :wub: 

Kusala61.jpg

Driver: :taylormade-small: 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s, (1/2" tip)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Tour issue 15* V-Steel 3W - Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: #3 (19*) & #4 (22*) Rescue-Mid TP's - Vista Pro 90 Stiff 

Driving Irons: :taylormade-small: UDI #1 (16*) & #3 (20*) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff

Iron Set: :taylormade-small: SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff

SW/LW: :cleveland-small: CG-16 Black Pearl 58* Low Bounce 8* - Stock Steel Shaft

That's about all you need for a 'brand new' 9.5* via ebay right now!.. :rolleyes:

Just add a properly fitted shaft and you'll be good to go!.. :)

attachicon.gifHeadcover Small.jpg (A 'new' 9.5* loft is hard to find) :wub:

So, to get my current shaft, after-market, I'm looking at $300... $400 for the club. Nah! That's WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY overpriced for a knockoff.

So, to get my current shaft, after-market, I'm looking at $300... $400 for the club. Nah!..That's WAY overpriced...

Were you fitted for your "current" shaft?  Everyone has the 'option' to be fitted for a driver shaft, and if you are serious about the game, IMO, you should be fitted, even when you think the stock shaft in your driver is working fine.  

The good news is that there are many shaft options available over a very wide price range.  That means you should be able to find a driver shaft that fits both your swing AND your budget without too much difficulty!.  

While you have chosen to take the 'glass half empty' view of this, I find a 'glass half full' perspective more applicable here!. I think it is actually a good thing when you don't have to spend $500 or more to get a great-performing driver, and the money saved makes the cost of installing a custom-fitted shaft in place of the one-size-fits-all stock shaft more affordable!.. :)

Headcover Small.jpg

Kusala61.jpg

While you take the 'glass half empty' opinion here, I find the 'glass half full' view far more applicable!. I think it is actually good news when you don't have to spend $500 or more for a great performing driver, because the money you save makes the cost of installing a custom-fitted shaft in place of the one-size-fits-all TM stock shaft that much more affordable!.. :)

Annnnnnd you missed the fact that this driver WOULD cost me close to $450 with tax to get the shaft that I'm fitted to, and currently play. So, how is this saving money again?

attachicon.gifHeadcover Small.jpg

The SLDR-C Driver would cost me close to $450 with tax to get the $300 shaft that I'm fitted for, and currently play. So, how is it saving me money?

Hard to believe it's not obvious, but I'll try to 'spell it out' for you!.. ;)

As previously stated, you could easily spend $500 or more for some other OEM driver that doesn't perform any better, (or even as well), as the SLDR-C driver I recommended, and you would still have the very same shaft issue that you mentioned above.. :blink:   

For instance, imagine purchasing a $500+ Driver that comes with something other than your 'current' shaft as the stock shaft, from a Retailer with no shaft upgrade option to your current shaft at the time of your purchase.. In that case, adding your $300 'current' shaft replacement cost to the $500 Driver could now cost you $850-$950 or more, instead of the $450 you mentioned...(i.e. around twice as much).  Got it now?.. :P

Of course, the other option I mentioned was to get 'fitted' for a less expensive shaft if that's what your budget requires, or just consider installing your 'current' (fitted) driver shaft,(that you already own), into any new driver purchase that you make!. Shaft adapters are removable, if that is your concern, and shims are available too in case the shaft tip/hosel size differs from what you have now..(I installed a .335 shaft in my driver using a brass shim since the driver's hosel size is .350).  :rolleyes:

Headcover Small.jpg

Kusala61.jpg

Sic em Cat

Cleveland

-Callaway XR

-Ping 

-Taylormade M2

Thoughts?

I would take this process in steps.  First step being hit everything, and I mean even everything!  When I did some research before I bought mine, I didn't even look at Cobra until someone just said hit it.  It was actually the runner-up for me. 

There's no harm in researching at all, but all of us have such different swings that it's hard to take one person's recommendation for our own.  Nothing beats actually experiencing how the club feels when you hit it.  Also, sound is a huge factor to some people.  Some say the Ping, for example, is way too loud.  Personally, I think it's perfect.

Next step, narrow it down to the top 3 based off hitting all of them.  For me, I want forgiveness, so when I don't catch one out the middle, what did it do?  How far offline was it?  Most drivers will perform extremely close with a center strike the way things are manufactured now.

Last step, find the right shaft.  I think this is the most important step.  Without the right shaft, the best club face in the world won't save you.  I like to go to demo days to help with this step.  You can also go to some pro shops.  You can go on the manufactures website for a list in your area.  Demo days normally have Trackman, or something, so you can see numbers.  It's also normally free. :)  The fitters there will be able to tell you the weight and stiffness you should be looking for based off your swing.  You can then take that and look at used clubs at Golf Galaxy, ebay, etc. to get the best fit for you.

Happy hunting!!!

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

Hard to believe that isn't super obvious, but I'll 'spell it out' for you!.. ;)

As previously stated, you could easily spend $500 or more for some other OEM driver that doesn't perform any better, (or even as well), as the SLDR-C driver I recommended, and you would still have the very same shaft issue that you mentioned above.. :blink:

For instance, imagine purchasing a $500+ Driver that comes with something other than your 'current' shaft as the stock shaft, from a Retailer with no shaft upgrade option to your current shaft at the time of your purchase.. In that case, adding your $300 'current' shaft replacement cost to the $500 Driver could now cost you $850-$950 or more, instead of the $450 you mentioned...(i.e. around twice as much). Got it now?.. :P

Of course, the other option I mentioned was to get 'fitted' for a less expensive shaft if that's what your budget requires, or just consider installing your 'current' (fitted) driver shaft,(that you already own), into any new driver purchase that you make!. Shaft adapters are removable, if that is your concern, and shims are available too in case the shaft tip/hosel size differs from what you have now..(I have a .335 shaft that was installed with a brass shim in my own driver since the hosel size is .350.. :rolleyes:

attachicon.gifHeadcover Small.jpg

Ok, I'll play with the “cat”. You have 9 lives, and I've taken two already... Here's number three... And four.

Life three: name me ONE single place within a FIVE hour drive of Northern Louisiana that “fits” the TaylorMade SLDR C... Heck, give me one place in the surrounding EIGHT STATES that fits for the “C”. None? Ok. Life three gone.

For life #4, let's say I buy the C. I spend $100 on it, you know, to “save” the money from paying full price. I've removed my shaft ($). I have it inserted into the C ($), then I go pay a guy $100 an hour to get on a monitor... I get numbers. I'm out at LEAST $250 right here. Hmmm. Wait. I can't hit my club head-to-head because MY head doesn't have a shaft. Hmm.

Rrrrrrrrright! I've been hitting MINE, I know the numbers! Ha! Let's say it's not even close and mine kicks the a$$ of the C.... Now, I'm out $250, PLUS re-shafting it back into MY club head.... Hmmm. Sound investment???? Nah. And I know YOU wouldn't do that either.

Well, BobbyCat, you've lost four lives... Only 5 more to go.

Make sure to get back to me when you find a fitter for the SLDR-C!!!!!!

You always tend to find one hardcore TM/Callaway guy who gets emotionally distraught when someone either doesn't like their driver (aka their "baby") or they give people advice on buying something from another brand. I know a guy who's got an Epic SubZero and would rather die before buying anything Taylormade - not even the TP5 ball or gloves. 

All you can do with this is basically troll them a little back, make some popcorn, and then watch them self-implode!! Just like STUDque put so eloquently!!

Driver: Cobra F9 Speedback (9.0) with Fujikura Atmos 7X (Avalanche White) 

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero (15 degrees) in Rogue Max 75g stiff shaft

Hybrid: Callaway Apex 20 degree with Kurokage 80g Stiff Shaft

Irons: Wilson Staff CB 4-PW in KBS 120 Stiff shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50

Callaway MD4 - 56 & 60 degrees

Putter: Taylormade TP Collection Soto

Golf Ball: Titliest Pro V1 and Srixon Z-Star 

Ok, I'll play with the “cat”. You have 9 lives, and I've taken two already... Here's number three... And four.

Life three: name me ONE single place within a FIVE hour drive of Northern Louisiana that “fits” the TaylorMade SLDR C... Heck, give me one place in the surrounding EIGHT STATES that fits for the “C”. None? Ok. Life three gone.

For life #4, let's say I buy the C. I spend $100 on it, you know, to “save” the money from paying full price. I've removed my shaft ($). I have it inserted into the C ($), then I go pay a guy $100 an hour to get on a monitor... I get numbers. I'm out at LEAST $250 right here. Hmmm. Wait. I can't hit my club head-to-head because MY head doesn't have a shaft. Hmm.

Rrrrrrrrright! I've been hitting MINE, I know the numbers! Ha! Let's say it's not even close and mine kicks the a$$ of the C.... Now, I'm out $250, PLUS re-shafting it back into MY club head.... Hmmm. Sound investment???? Nah. And I know YOU wouldn't do that either.

Well, BobbyCat, you've lost four lives... Only 5 more to go.

Make sure to get back to me when you find a fitter for the SLDR-C!!!!!!

Relax, both of you. Whilst I am not a fan of the SLDR family of drivers, I do respect them. Bobcat, I'm glad you found yourself a great driver and you want to spread your newfound gospel to the unwashed masses (i.e. the rest of the Spies). But there are a few problems with this, unfortunately - 1) the SLDR range is (sadly) now 5 years old and therefore quite obsolete, 2) some people have opinions (shocking, I know) and 3) I agree with Kieldog in the facts that there are very few places that stock SLDR-C drivers (Australia's even worse!!!) and even fewer will fit it for you (mostly because they haven't got the stock).

Driver: Cobra F9 Speedback (9.0) with Fujikura Atmos 7X (Avalanche White) 

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero (15 degrees) in Rogue Max 75g stiff shaft

Hybrid: Callaway Apex 20 degree with Kurokage 80g Stiff Shaft

Irons: Wilson Staff CB 4-PW in KBS 120 Stiff shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50

Callaway MD4 - 56 & 60 degrees

Putter: Taylormade TP Collection Soto

Golf Ball: Titliest Pro V1 and Srixon Z-Star 

Ok, I'll play...name one place within a FIVE hour drive of Northern Louisiana that 'fits' the TaylorMade SLDR-C....

Sorry you've become so 'frustrated' by not being able to find one locally to test, (or be 'fit' for); but that's what happens when you're late to the party.. :(   

However, if you are as 'obsessed' with this driver as it seems, maybe you should just 'give in' to your SLDR-C Driver 'compulsions' and order one, (by clicking below). Otherwise, just drop the mic and live with what you've got as your 'personal choices' are clearly of no consequence to me!... :rolleyes:

Keep in mind the SLDR-C was merely a recommendation, (the thread's topic), not a 'demand' that you try one!  That said, great performing clubs never become "obsolete", and it's a 'modest' investment for such a great performing driver!... :D  

Perhaps most importantly, the Seller can ship one directly to the 'swamp' where you live, (and post from), and is even willing to ship one to Western Australia!...  :P

New TaylorMade SLDR C 460 Driver (9.5-) - RH- TaylorMade SLDR 57 Regular - eBay

bearExec.jpgHeadcover Small.jpg

standthetest.png THE SLDR-C DRIVER DOES THAT!

Kusala61.jpg

I used to argue with Bobcat over this but you can't fault a guy for loving his equipment.

No matter what a guy asks on these forums he is going to be get lots of recommendations that are impractical for his game. And these forums are great. But we may miss something in the question or we may be do locked into what works for us that we forget that it won't fit others.

I have this beautiful set of Adams Idea Pro Irons in my closet. When I bought them they had 120 gram stiff shafts that I hit great - then they had dynamics c gold lites S shaft that I hit great - then I couldn't hit them as well and I moved to something else. They now have some sort of heavy tour still dynamic steel shaft in them for my son.

In the mean while I have 75 gram R flex Aldila graphite shafts in my GI set and that works okay for me (I may need lighter).

At least he's advocating being fit. We all know that SLDR technology works for some and not for others.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Shafts don't work the same in every head. I tried the atmos black in the G LS Tec and it spun off the planet and felt awful. I put the exact same shaft in the g400 LS Tec and it had a completely different feel and the numbers were way better.

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

Relax, both of you. Whilst I am not a fan of the SLDR family of drivers, I do respect them. Bobcat, I'm glad you found yourself a great driver and you want to spread your newfound gospel to the unwashed masses (i.e. the rest of the Spies). But there are a few problems with this, unfortunately - 1) the SLDR range is (sadly) now 5 years old and therefore quite obsolete, 2) some people have opinions (shocking, I know) and 3) I agree with Kieldog in the facts that there are very few places that stock SLDR-C drivers (Australia's even worse!!!) and even fewer will fit it for you (mostly because they haven't got the stock).

Man, if you knew me, you would know I've been laughing every second of each post! This is fun. I think even Bobcat knows I'm just giving him crap for a driver love so deep, no one has ever seen or heard of before.

All of this is in good fun... For me. Like my wife says, “You just like to stir the pot!” Yep! I do...

Archived