Regional Combined Introduction Threads Read more... ×
Spy Chat: The Hall of Fame for MGS Read more... ×
Ronoc

New Driver Recommendation

Looking for some recommendations/tips/suggestions on choosing my new driver. I started getting into golf seriously last spring with a mixed set of used clubs. By middle of the summer I upgraded to a brand new set of Callaway Steelhead irons that my wife got me for an anniversary present. I get to the course a few times a month and usually get to the driving range weekly.

I am not looking to break the bank and understand that I don't need the most expensive club out there to get better. Based on some basic research and feedback I got from the guys at Golf Galazy, I have narrowed it down to these three:

-Callaway XR

-Ping 

-Taylormade M2

Thoughts?

• Like 4

I agree with PlaidJacket. I just bought a new Ping G for 150 at my local pro shop. Just try to get fit for the club you want. Most stores price match too.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Yeah, if you're near a big box store .. eg. PGA Tour Superstore .. there will be a large selection of used clubs - especially drivers - and you can take them into the hitting may and try them out.

Another alternative is if there'sa decent sized practice range near you - many have a small shop with bags and bags of used clubs that you can test out there.

• Like 3

I agree with going to a local golf store and seeing if they carry used clubs.   If they do,  try what they have on their launch monitor to see what kind of performance you get and how you like the clubs.   Experimenting with different clubs is the best way to figure out what works for you.

• Like 4

Agree wholeheartedly with PlaidJacket and cnosil. Be sure to bring in your current gamer for comparisons. Don't inadvertently buy something that doesn't beat what's already in your bag. Don't take what the monitor says at face value; do A/B testing against your current gamer to make an apples to apples comparison.

• Like 5

I would go to a demo day and find the right shaft for you. Then get yourself a one or two year old drive that looks good to you then have a fitter put the shaft in that fit you or find it on eBay

• Like 4

Getting a 2 to 3 year old driver is really the way to go.  If you get one at the right price on eBay or a site like Callaway Preowned you can "demo" a club and then re-sell if you don't like it.  Even if you loose $20 to $30 on the transaction that is not a bad deal to do a full test of the club at both the range and on the course.  

Right now I read the latest reviews and the most wanted knowing I will be shopping for these clubs in 2 years.  Can't wait for the Cobra F8+ to be two years old and be on eBay for under $150.  

• Like 1

I have another suggestion you may wish to entertain and I also provided a link below where you can buy a brand new one..

This TaylorMade 2015 model flew under the radar, but it's as good as a driver gets with a fitted shaft!  No gimmicks here, just solid all-around performance, (i.e. long, straight drives with excellent sound and feel). It is reminiscent of an old favorite of mine, the R580XD-TP Tour Driver, but because it is part of the SLDR Family, it has less spin.

You'll note that an elastomer-filled 'Speed Pocket or 'Speed Slot', has replaced the slider mechanism just as with the M2 Driver TM introduced shortly after this one, (near the end of 2015). 

Unlike the original SLDR models from 2013-2014, this one is designed to be forgiving and there is no need to 'loft up' either, as it plays completely true-to-loft!  As you can see, it's a great looking (gloss black) head as well!  A very 'classic' TM look!

Note:  I installed the Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s shaft shown below, which I was previously fitted for, but YMMV applies to shaft fittings. (The TM stock shafts are designed to fit a wide array of skill levels, but will not by default be the best shaft option for any particular player).

Best to get fitted for the shaft just as I was for the one below!Kusala61.jpg

You can still find these 'brand new' on ebay as indicated by the link below:  GRAB A NEW 9.5* WHILE YOU STILL CAN!  You'll be very glad that you did!... :rolleyes:

New TaylorMade SLDR C 460 Driver (9.5-) - RH- TaylorMade SLDR 57 Regular

SLDR-C Driver.jpg

SLDRCrownLarge.jpg

sldrcFACE.jpg

HeadcoverLarge.jpg 

IT WILL  standthetest.png AGAINST NEWER DRIVERS

bearExec.jpg       TRUST IT!

• Like 7

That's about all you need for a 'brand new' 9.5* via ebay right now!.. :rolleyes:

Just add a properly fitted shaft and you'll be good to go!.. :)

New TaylorMade SLDR C 460 Driver (9.5-) - RH- TaylorMade SLDR 57 Regular

attachicon.gifHeadcover Small.jpg (A 'new' 9.5* loft is hard to find) :wub:

So, to get my current shaft, after-market, I'm looking at $300... $400 for the club. Nah! That's WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY overpriced for a knockoff.

So, to get my current shaft, after-market, I'm looking at $300... $400 for the club. Nah!..That's WAY overpriced...

Were you fitted for your "current" shaft?  Everyone has the 'option' to be fitted for a driver shaft, and if you are serious about the game, IMO, you should be fitted, even when you think the stock shaft in your driver is working fine.  

The good news is that there are many shaft options available over a very wide price range.  That means you should be able to find a driver shaft that fits both your swing AND your budget without too much difficulty!.  

While you have chosen to take the 'glass half empty' view of this, I find a 'glass half full' perspective more applicable here!. I think it is actually a good thing when you don't have to spend $500 or more to get a great-performing driver, and the money saved makes the cost of installing a custom-fitted shaft in place of the one-size-fits-all stock shaft more affordable!.. :)

Headcover Small.jpg

Kusala61.jpg

• Like 1

While you take the 'glass half empty' opinion here, I find the 'glass half full' view far more applicable!. I think it is actually good news when you don't have to spend $500 or more for a great performing driver, because the money you save makes the cost of installing a custom-fitted shaft in place of the one-size-fits-all TM stock shaft that much more affordable!.. :)

Annnnnnd you missed the fact that this driver WOULD cost me close to $450 with tax to get the shaft that I'm fitted to, and currently play. So, how is this saving money again?

attachicon.gifHeadcover Small.jpg

The SLDR-C Driver would cost me close to $450 with tax to get the $300 shaft that I'm fitted for, and currently play. So, how is it saving me money?

Hard to believe it's not obvious, but I'll try to 'spell it out' for you!.. ;)

As previously stated, you could easily spend $500 or more for some other OEM driver that doesn't perform any better, (or even as well), as the SLDR-C driver I recommended, and you would still have the very same shaft issue that you mentioned above.. :blink:   

For instance, imagine purchasing a $500+ Driver that comes with something other than your 'current' shaft as the stock shaft, from a Retailer with no shaft upgrade option to your current shaft at the time of your purchase.. In that case, adding your $300 'current' shaft replacement cost to the $500 Driver could now cost you $850-$950 or more, instead of the $450 you mentioned...(i.e. around twice as much).  Got it now?.. :P

Of course, the other option I mentioned was to get 'fitted' for a less expensive shaft if that's what your budget requires, or just consider installing your 'current' (fitted) driver shaft,(that you already own), into any new driver purchase that you make!. Shaft adapters are removable, if that is your concern, and shims are available too in case the shaft tip/hosel size differs from what you have now..(I installed a .335 shaft in my driver using a brass shim since the driver's hosel size is .350).  :rolleyes:

Headcover Small.jpg

Kusala61.jpg

• Like 1