TESTERS WANTED! ×

Vokey SM7 Launch

null

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

... I have resisted going to a high bounce wedge for a long time now. I started out playing a wide soled 588 but moved on to a lower bounce wedge as my game improved. When played properly my Vokey M Grind has worked very well. Once in a long while I have hit it a tiny bit fat and the leading edge dug creating what is basically a duffed shot. Only happened maybe once every 10 rounds but it was always at a bad time like coming up short with a tight lie and needing a great chip to get up and down for par. Facing the same shot from a few yards closer bringing double bogie into play is a real killer. 

... So I finally picked up the SM7 D Grind and I could not be happier with the results. It is almost impossible to hit fat as the bounce stops the leading edge from acting the ground. I bought the dark finish and soaked it in white vinegar and it looks great. It works just as well as my old M grind when I open the face, even with a very tight lie. I have found it to be the best of both worlds and I highly recommend at least demoing a wedge with 12 or more degrees of bounce. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

... I have resisted going to a high bounce wedge for a long time now. I started out playing a wide soled 588 but moved on to a lower bounce wedge as my game improved. When played properly my Vokey M Grind has worked very well. Once in a long while I have hit it a tiny bit fat and the leading edge dug creating what is basically a duffed shot. Only happened maybe once every 10 rounds but it was always at a bad time like coming up short with a tight lie and needing a great chip to get up and down for par. Facing the same shot from a few yards closer bringing double bogie into play is a real killer. 

... So I finally picked up the SM7 D Grind and I could not be happier with the results. It is almost impossible to hit fat as the bounce stops the leading edge from acting the ground. I bought the dark finish and soaked it in white vinegar and it looks great. It works just as well as my old M grind when I open the face, even with a very tight lie. I have found it to be est of both worlds and I highly recommend at least demoing a wedge with 12 or more degrees of bounce. 

Exactly my experience with the D grind.  I was worried about switching from the M grind, but after a few rounds there is zero worry.  I haven't lost any playability from moving to the D and I have gained a weapon out of the sand.  I had a tendency to dig too much in the sand with the M grind and the D grind makes sand play a much easier endeavor for me.  

Exactly my experience with the D grind.  I was worried about switching from the M grind, but after a few rounds there is zero worry.  I haven't lost any playability from moving to the D and I have gained a weapon out of the sand.  I had a tendency to dig too much in the sand with the M grind and the D grind makes sand play a much easier endeavor for me.  

I totally agree on the D grind it`s magical I just wish the wedges are forged in feel.

:callaway-small: rouge subzero Fujikura Evo 2 shaft

:titelist-small:  F2  3 wood Mitsubishi rayon 

:titelist-small:  818.21 hybrid Even flow black

Ben Hogan irons apex 4 shafts 

:mizuno-small: S18 wedges 50/54/58

:titelist-small:  Cameron and Crown M1

• 5 weeks later...

I bought the dark finish and soaked it in white vinegar and it looks great. 

What does the white vinegar do?

I might have the chance to score a set of SM7.

How is the jet black finish holding?

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Removes there finish after some scrubbing and makes the wedge raw.

I love how the jet blacks aren't wearing. They are designed to wear over time and they area doing so nicely

Removes there finish after some scrubbing and makes the wedge raw.

I love how the jet blacks aren't wearing. They area designed to wear over time and they area doing so nicely

Thanks man, cause I like the black the best! Can't wait for my fitting.

:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

Thanks for the pics!

That's holding much better than the black Mizunos I have.

You've made up my mind :D

Here is the most wear. It's the sole of my 60 which I use out of greenside bunkers attachicon.gifIMG_20180607_084722.jpegattachicon.gifIMG_20180607_084637.jpeg

Those are holding up well. I may have to upgrade once I wear mine out.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

... I have been using raw wedges for over 20 years now and I am used to the look. Just a personal preference:

SM7.jpg

SM7 Face.jpg

After today's round I need everyone to know:

I love the D

... I usually hit a fat chip about every 4th round or so. On a very tight lie where I like to spin it to the max, it is a higher risk shot. But going from the M grind at 8* to the D grind at 12* over probably 40+ rounds I have completely eliminated that shot. If I hit it a hair fat, the bounce engages and I still get a decent chip. Like you, I love the D. 

... I usually hit a fat chip about every 4th round or so. On a very tight lie where I like to spin it to the max, it is a higher risk shot. But going from the M grind at 8* to the D grind at 12* over probably 40+ rounds I have completely eliminated that shot. If I hit it a hair fat, the bounce engages and I still get a decent chip. Like you, I love the D. 

Yup - I am really surprised how versatile it is for 12 degrees of bounce.  Just goes to show how much the grinds and camber come into play.

Hit some nice spinny chips/pitches from the fairways today, but where the D really shines for me is out of the rough around the greens.  I just trust the bounce and the club does the rest.  I even had one off sort of a hardpan lie in the rough, uphill slope.  Normally I would try to clip it clean, but I wasn't afraid to take my normal pitch shot and I still managed to have the ball come out soft.

Wow. It's so hard to imagine that with a high-bounce wedge you can pull off such shots out of tight lies.

I guess there is only one way to find out!

Wow. It's so hard to imagine that with a high-bounce wedge you can pull off such shots out of tight lies.

I guess there is only one way to find out!

... Playing the ball back in our stance the M with 8* it turns into 2/3* of  bounce. But with the D at 12* it turns into 6/7* of bounce and gives you a little protection for slightly fat contact but still low enough to make good contact on the face. 

Just waiting for my fitting...

50 F 08

54 S 10

60 D 12

jet black. yes please

Got the same specs in the 54 and 58. Might do the 50 down yhe road but fibding it hard to part wirh my xurrent 50. Went chrome though.

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

I would love the D grind in a 62*. I'm a little timid to pull the trigger on a 62* M grind for those very reasons by chisag...turn it down and your bounce is 2*, maybe 3* and that's Phil type bounce with little room for error. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

I want to find somewhere to demo the D grind. It looks very intriguing.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

Fitting booked for July 7th. Can't wait!

• 3 weeks later...

So just came back from my fitting at Green Eagle (course hosting the Porsche European Open) and ended up with:

50/08/F gap wedge

54/14/F sand wedge

58/08/M love wedge

I am not 100% sure and didn't bother to memorize as the guy said he would mail me the specs on Monday...

He even threw in free stamping and NDMC+4 free of charge.

Gap wedge with PX 5.5 to match my iron set and DG wedge for the other 2.

All in her black of course!

I really wanted to like the D grind, but after a few shots the guy told me it was not a good fit for my swing, as I hardly take any divots and was skulling a lot of shots. He said D grind would be great if I had problems with fat shots... but out of 10 mishits, 9 will be thin...

Should be here in about 2 weeks! Can't wait!

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is no longer the SM7 Launch thread...

But here they are... fresh from the oven...

Family photo

wedges_small.jpg

My 50/08F, stamped with my son's nickname in lime green and matching NDMC +4 in green

50_small.jpg

My 54/14F, stamped with my initials in orange and matching NDMC +4 in orange. Just noticed they missed the paintfill in one of the stamps :lol:

54_small.jpg

My 58/08M, stamped with my daughter's nickname in pink and NDMC +4 in gray (they had no pink grips)

58_small.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like Vokey's generous selection of loft/bounce options.

Mizuno S18s have it too, and finally, Cleveland is getting back to it by adding some low bounce options.

The Scor V-Sole devotees like Hogan will never go that route, although I think that Reid-Lockhart was first..

But the new SM7s, like all the Vokeys of the past decade or so, are made in the original 200 Series tear drop shape.

The early Vokeys were offerred in THREE shapes--the 200 tear drop shape that survived, the 300 more oval shape that I love for sand clubs, and the 400 squarish shape that I also liked.

I guess the marketplace made the decision, but I really liked the head shape option as well.

I like Vokey's generous selection of loft/bounce options.

Mizuno S18s have it too, and finally, Cleveland is getting back to it by adding some low bounce options.

The Scor V-Sole devotees like Hogan will never go that route, although I think that Reid-Lockhart was first..

But the new SM7s, like all the Vokeys of the past decade or so, are made in the original 200 Series tear drop shape.

The early Vokeys were offerred in THREE shapes--the 200 tear drop shape that survived, the 300 more oval shape that I love for sand clubs, and the 400 squarish shape that I also liked.

I guess the marketplace made the decision, but I really liked the head shape option as well.

To be honest nobody has the loft/bounce/grind combinations that the Vokeys have

full-chart-2.jpeg

Archived