TESTERS WANTED! ×

A gentleman's game?

StrokerAce

Should you be 'cordial' with your competition on the golf course?  Especially in a tournament?  Curtis Strange doesn't think so...

Which side are you on? 

Okay to chit chat between holes or stone-faced-killa ??

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/curtis-strange-rips-jon-rahm-and-andrew-landry-for-their-playoff-interactions

Jon Rahm and Andrew Landry played superb golf from tee to green during their four-hole playoff at the CareerBuilder Challenge on Sunday. But one Hall of Famer had a problem with how the two young tour pros handled themselves on their walks from said tee to green.

Rather than commenting on Rahm's win or Landry's toughness down the stretch, Curtis Strange chose to focus on how much Rahm and Landry talked in between shots. Apparently, Strange is not a big fan of friendly chit-chat when there's a tournament on the line.

Watching Andrew Landry and Jon Rahm in playoff. Walking off tee talking to each other. Are you kidding me ? Talking at all. ?

​

Strange was always known as a fierce competitor during his heyday (You have to be to win back-to-back U.S. Opens), and this isn't the first time we've heard older players lament the on-course chumminess of today's generation. Here's how Strange explained his reasoning for not talking during high-pressure situations:

Serious question: Is the issue that it appears less than competitive, or that it might negatively affect either of their focus?

The issue is I don't want to make you a bit relaxed or comfortable. High pressure, good.

Fair enough. And here's how he compared it to going up against one of his contemporaries, Nick Faldo.

You and Faldo used to chat a bunch out there.. didn't ya? 1f602.png

The moral of the story? If you ever find yourself in a playoff against Curtis Strange and he's giving you the silent treatment, don't take it personally.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

I think it all depends on who the players are and how they handle pressure.  I could see Lee Trevino and Boo Weekly having a blast even during a playoff. Not so much if ya had Tiger Woods and Jack Nicklaus.  The latter two would be pure focus with killer instincts while the first pairing would be wondering where the best fishing hole was.  

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

If you have the mental ability to focus, then any other distraction is fine - including friendly chit chat.

If on the other hand you're in your own bubble and seldom make even eye contact with your opponent, then you at least need to be courteous - especially when you lose.

Personally, I tend to think that either stance seldom changes the outcome - so it is usually best to choose the option that gives the most satisfaction - for me, that it is a friendly chat. After all, it is just a game folks.

Right, Curtis?

gettyimages-51991311_master.jpg

I'm with Curtis. It almost seems like they were not playing against each other. I do not like loosing and even my good friends know I shut my mouth when it's crunch time.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

This cracks me up.

Would anyone be shocked to learn that the generation before thought Curtis' generation of players was too soft and chummy too?

It is what it is.

I've played enough competitive sports to know that there are always different personalities in the mix. You have to be yourself under pressure.

Having written that there is very little golf that we are involved in that would require and stone face and it's always easy to say nice shot without being chatty.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I think Rev nailed it.  You have to be yourself under pressure.

If that's the stone faced killer and you block everything out, go for it.  If that's relaxing between shots and talking with your opponent, go for it.

Basically, within the rules of the game do whatever it takes to put yourself in the best position to win.

What about trash talking?  

That happens in other sports (basketball, football, baseball, hockey...); is that below the belt in golf?

"You better put it on the green cause I'm about to drop a birdie"

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

That happens in other sports (basketball, football, baseball, hockey...); is that below the belt in golf?

Trash talk in golf? I think it depends on the situation, when playing our normal games with friends there are always comments flying around. Club championship not so much. I think it's an etiquette thing.

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

Trash talk in golf? I think it depends on the situation, when playing our normal games with friends there are always comments flying around. Club championship not so much. I think it's an etiquette thing.

Definitely trash talk with your friends but personally I'd vote keep it out of tourneys.  The funny thing about trash talk though is you have to back up or you look like a fool.  Now if two guys are paired together and have that relationship then go ahead and talk a little trash.  But I'd rather let my playing speak for itself, I just wish it spoke a little louder.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I find it interesting how this seems acceptable during the Ryder cup but when it's mano-y-mano it can be considered bad etiquette.

Maybe that's why I like the Ryder cup so much....will never forget that Patrick Reed/Rory match.

Would love to see Reed use that hush sign during a tournament.

Maybe then golf wouldn't be voted most boring....

Sent from a bunker filled with mana

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

I also think it's a generational thing but I've got a different take. It's not quite as simple as saying "old people are mean; young people are nice." I'd argue we've got a little bit of nature vs nurture going on.

Previous generations didn't focus on just one sport; they played many different sports (I'm from the tail end of this generation). It was seen as a badge of honor if you could start for your school's teams all 3 seasons. I think the killer instinct you saw in Strange's era bled into golf from players who learned to hold contempt for your opponent through football, basketball, baseball, etc.

This new generation grew up playing one sport and specialized their skills year round. Golf by nature is not a competitive sport against your opponent but rather the course and yourself. Add in programs like the first tee and other learning centers and you're teaching the youth better manners to match golf etiquette without the brutal competitiveness learned elsewhere.

Just like all trends, there's exceptions but I'd say this describes the general population of both eras. Is it good or bad for the sport? The answer is 'yes.' Being different doesn't always mean better or worse. It's just that the new generation has its own identity where they'd rather win with a birdie than make their opponent miss a putt for par.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I think Curtis is a little off base, and agree with the others that you should let your normal personality determine how you act.  However, I bet Curtis would not be one to leave his ball 2 feet past the hole to provide a backstop while another player is chipping.  That's taking friendliness a bit too far.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I'm very competitive But that doesn't change because I'm in a match with my friends (having fun laughing) or in a gap match and it's all business. Both scenarios I want to beat them into the ground. But depending on the scenario is how I act. This guy is mistaking their friendly ways with a sign of weakness...Because they are friends they always want to win I know I do

If I'm in a tournament, I don't like to talk. I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just like to stay focused and concentrate. Hard to do when I play with guys I know, but I play my best that way. It was the same in college. If I got to talking trash on the court, I was done!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

With me, it all depends on who I am playing.  If I end up in a tournament playoff with a good friend of mine, there will definitely be some talk and good natured ribbing going on while we are playing.  However, if it's somebody I don't know or don't know that well, chances are I won't say a word to them.  Probably won't even look their direction.  I'll be focused on what I need to do to win and that's it. 

In my bag:

Callaway Epic Subzero with Aldila Rogue Max 75 Stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue Subzero with Project X Evenflow 6.0 75g stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue 3 Hybrid with Aldila Synergy 60 HYB stiff shaft

Callaway Apex irons (4-PW) with True Temper XP 95 stiff shafts

Callaway MD3 wedges (50/54/58)

SeeMore Original FGP

Bridgestone Tour B RX

There are many valid arguments presented in this thread. What I believe everyone has missed is there level of play that was shown. Do I watch golf to see who talks to who? Whether they laugh or stare each other down? Civility does not equate to anything more than civility. Competition should bring out the best golf. Whatever that looks like.

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

I am a firm believer that to each there own. When I shot competitively I was chatty and Jovial until the match started then it was me against the world until the results were in. Then back to bring jovial..

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

Umm... how about the Duel in the sun? Nicklaus and Watson managed to be cordial to one another while they battled to the death.

We just had the coaches' Ryder Cup at our TFT chapter. I wanted to beat the living snot out of my opponent, and he just gave one of my daughters a lesson. We talked and joked most of the way around. If I'm too serious between shots, it's just too much of a drain and I don't play well. I need to save it for when I'm over the ball. But that's just me.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I suppose a key element in this is whether or not it is stroke play vs. match play.

I mean if someone is up 4-5 strokes with 3 holes to go and they're having a chat with their playing partner I don't see how StrangeCurtis can have a problem with that.

Stroke play seems as though you're playing "the course" vs. one or more opponents....at least until it gets to a playoff.

Match play is when the fun starts - love match play, whether it's 1 on 1 or team vs team.... I suppose a playoff is essentially match play...nevertheless I think it is all about getting into an opponent's head, making them uncomfortable and having them do something they don't normally do.  Golf is as much a mental sport as it is physical and whether it's quiet confidence/silent but deadly or letting them know, the first one to get them off-kilter mentally is going to have a better chance.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

The 6 best words ever spoken about sports.  Ever.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Umm... how about the Duel in the sun? Nicklaus and Watson managed to be cordial to one another while they battled to the death.

We just had the coaches' Ryder Cup at our TFT chapter. I wanted to beat the living snot out of my opponent, and he just gave one of my daughters a lesson. We talked and joked most of the way around. If I'm too serious between shots, it's just too much of a drain and I don't play well. I need to save it for when I'm over the ball. But that's just me.

Exactly - we are all different. Lee Trevino was chatty when he played. That doesn't mean he was less competitive than the ever silent Ben Hogan. It was just how their individual personalities worked best on the course.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• 2 years later...